fuego

Falcons hire three-time NFL head coach Mike Mularkey to coach tight ends

60 posts in this topic

17 minutes ago, Atl Falcon said:

Pioli is the best addition the Falcons have made since MR2.

I'm not too impressed with TDs drafting of linemen in the first 3 rds when I think about Sam Baker '08 -not very good, Lamar Holmes '12 - awful, Peter Knoz '12 flat out bust and you can add Beasley to that list as far as I'm concerned....he has to be considered a failure based on where he was drafted 8th overall.

Like you said....maybe when we go all in on the lines he'll finally get it right

I'm talking about since Pioli came on. Dimi was terrible at drafting on the lines, no doubt about that.

1 hour ago, Atl Falcon said:

sure he signed off...so if DQ is the deciding factor what use is TD? My point is/was TD has been here 12 yrs and the trenches are and have been pretty much a mess since he got here. That's just the facts....and that's well documented....just ask around.

oh yeah...Mike Smith signed off as well, so is it always the HC to hold accountable for the GMs drafting, FA, player acquisitions? Just saying.....

@Vandy thoughts to this "insightful" post?

Are there any other former Falcon Offensive Coordinators that we can bring in?

Maybe once Shanahan gets fired we can bring him in to coach WRs...

6 hours ago, MSalmon said:

Most definitely a bad period. Since DQ, the GM/HC player acquisition has been pretty good

And don’t forget since Pioli join the Falcons things have been much better.....after all the man does get paid

1 hour ago, MSalmon said:

@Vandy thoughts to this "insightful" post?

TD's the best GM in history of falcons, and it's not even a contest

Also disagree with @Atl Falcon that our lines "have been a mess for 12 years" Just another TAFT myth, if not cheap hyperbole. We had a Top 5 OL in 2016 and Top 10 in 2017. It fell to middle of pack last season, in large part due to injuries.. We also had some good OL's early in Ryan's career.

Wasn't LT Jake Matthews a TD pick? Ryan Schraeder was a great pickup by falcons as well, even more remarkable being that he was an UDFA...., how many teams are able to do that, finding an UDFA starting RT playing at a high level for several seasons. Do they not count?  Alex Mack was one of the smartest FA signings in falcon's history, does he not count either?  

All teams have their misses. See some of the patriots cluster****s picks. 

ATL Falcon's a good poster, and I do agree with him (and you) that it's time to again invest some early draft capital in OL. Wouldn't surprise me to see us get an RT in Rd 1 and an OG in Rd 2. 

MSalmon likes this

1 minute ago, Vandy said:

Also disagree with @Atl Falcon (and most of board) that our lines "have been a mess" for 12 years. We had a Top 5 OL in 2016 and Top 10 in 2017. It fell to middle of pack last season, in large part due to injuries.. 

And Mike Smith was the winningest coach in Falcon history and how’d that work out? TD is the best GM in history of the Falcons, but just for the record we’ve had some pretty bad ones. The OLs were decent in ‘16 and ok in ‘17....but how bout all the other years nine to be exact and you fail to mention the DL. Let’s all hope Pioli doesn’t jump ship and they get it right with the trenches moving forward. I’m not suggesting TD be fired....he’s too good with the salary cap and works well with DQ....but the bottom line is he just hasn’t produced trenches like most ppl think he should have and yes he should be held accountable. One last point MR2 can make a bad line look average because he makes the right reads and gets the ball out quickly.

Vandy likes this

50 minutes ago, Atl Falcon said:

And Mike Smith was the winningest coach in Falcon history and how’d that work out? TD is the best GM in history of the Falcons, but just for the record we’ve had some pretty bad ones. The OLs were decent in ‘16 and ok in ‘17....but how bout all the other years nine to be exact and you fail to mention the DL. Let’s all hope Pioli doesn’t jump ship and they get it right with the trenches moving forward. I’m not suggesting TD be fired....he’s too good with the salary cap and works well with DQ....but the bottom line is he just hasn’t produced trenches like most ppl think he should have and yes he should be held accountable. One last point MR2 can make a bad line look average because he makes the right reads and gets the ball out quickly.

On Smitty? Not sure what you are suggesting, It worked out very well, best run in falcons history. 

OL was Top 5 in 2016, so that's more than "decent". .....

I agree DL was never an emphasis until we got Quinn, those early years teams were built around the offense, and with much success.....Defensively, TD still got a few gems like Biermann (a 5th rounder) Cory Peters (a 3rd rounder) and Vance Walker (7th).....

Grady Jarrett (a 5th rounder) was a home run for Quinn....Takk and Senat look like keepers to me......

We definitely need a good trenches draft this year, we agree on that point. 

MSalmon and Atl Falcon like this

1 hour ago, Vandy said:

Also disagree with @Atl Falcon that our lines "have been a mess for 12 years" Just another TAFT myth, if not cheap hyperbole. We had a Top 5 OL in 2016 and Top 10 in 2017. It fell to middle of pack last season, in large part due to injuries.. We also had some good OL's early in Ryan's career.

Wasn't LT Jake Matthews a TD pick? Ryan Schraeder was a great pickup by falcons as well, even more remarkable being that he was an UDFA...., how many teams are able to do that, finding an UDFA starting RT playing at a high level for several seasons. Do they not count?  Alex Mack was one of the smartest FA signings in falcon's history, does he not count either?  

All teams have their misses. See some of the patriots cluster****s picks. 

ATL Falcon's a good poster, and I do agree with him (and you) that it's time to again invest some early draft capital in OL. Wouldn't surprise me to see us get an RT in Rd 1 and an OG in Rd 2. 

He’s definitely a great poster. But I think @Atl Falcon is off on this one.

and I agree with investing in OL early. But we actually had a very good OL pre-Levitre injuries, Fusco went down, and Schraeder fell off the hill. But Schraeder was also a very good UDFA who flirted with elite status for a while at RT

good post.

Vandy likes this

1 hour ago, Atl Falcon said:

DL is different. I am with you that until DQ got here we had issues. But also remember that we signed TJax and Soliali because of Smitty and Nolan. It’s not like the GM is not supporting his HC and coordinators in this situation. 

And he has stocked the cupboard until it’s brinmming with DQ-approved picks. That’s stated in multiple interviews.

So what’s he held accountable for? Supporting a team that has only missed the playoffs what four or five times since he’s been here? And one year we didn’t make the playoffs at 9-7. And one year under DQ we were 8-8, right? So what three losing seasons total. Two in a row when Smitty melted down, and this GM was able to quickly right the ship with DQ, who arguably had this 7-9 season due to a slew of bad luck in the form of injuries.

i just don’t follow your argument about nothing being done in the trenches. 

51 minutes ago, Vandy said:

On Smitty? Not sure what you are suggesting, It worked out very well, best run in falcons history. 

OL was Top 5 in 2016, so that's more than "decent". .....

I agree DL was never an emphasis until we got Quinn, those early years teams were built around the offense, and with much success.....Defensively, TD still got a few gems like Biermann (a 5th rounder) Cory Peters (a 3rd rounder) and Vance Walker (7th).....

Grady Jarrett (a 5th rounder) was a home run for Quinn....Takk and Senat look like keepers to me......

We definitely need a good trenches draft this year, we agree on that point. 

Add Kazee in 5th, Freeman in the fourth, Rico in fifth, Foye in the sixth, Campbell in the fourth. Brian Poole as UDFA. These are picks beyond the trenches that have outplayed their draft status. That’s smart player acquisition 

Vandy likes this