Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cole World

Coaching updates around the NFL

56 posts in this topic

14 minutes ago, Dr Long Shot said:

But is one year of Adam Gase and then having to scramble  (again) to find another OC the move that's best for the Falcons??

We'll get a few years out of him probably. That being said, it looks like we're targeting well-established playcallers, and no matter who we pick with that label, they'll be possible HC candidates in the near future if our offense does well under them. Bevell, Koetter, and Kubiak are all the same. Maybe Kubiak least of all if he wants to stay out of the HC position for health reasons.

Vandy and papachaz like this

1 minute ago, Sidecar Falcon said:

SF is set to interview Gase. 

you mean now, or next year if the scenario I mentioned plays out? I'm confused

9 minutes ago, osiruz said:

Looks like Kitchens will be in Cleveland. Would be interesting to see who we bring in.

Yeah, they seem to be leaning toward Kitchens, but bringing Stefanski in for a second interview could mean they aren't quite as sold on Kitchens as the media is making it out to be. Like I said earlier, with the Vikes looking at Koetter as their replacement OC, the Browns deciding to go with Stefanski over Kitchens could make things really interesting for us.

The Minneapolis Star-Tribune reports Vikings OC Kevin Stefanski is being interviewed a second time for the Browns' head-coaching vacancy on Tuesday.

That is certainly indicative of a serious candidate. Buzz has been rising Tuesday that the Browns are leaning toward promoting OC Freddie Kitchens, but they are not going to do so without due diligence on at least one other candidate. Stefanski could still end up remaining in Minnesota to coordinate the offense.

5 minutes ago, Vandy said:

Then you know who his QB was in Miami. There really shouldn’t be anything else to say about that.

Did you see him and manning together in Denver? Matt Ryan and Gase together would create that same magic. 

Don’t forget his work with Cutler

Vandy likes this

1 minute ago, Sidecar Falcon said:

Quite a few coaches. “Potential to come” means very little when the interviewing process has just started. We don’t know who’s on their list. You asked which coaches were better and there’s quite a few. 

But you haven't named any...

My point is the options are few. They've interviewed the guys they are interested in from non-playoff teams. DQ is waiting on the playoff teams to finish. Of the 8 teams left, who's worth looking at? Press Taylor? Zac Taylor? You really placing your faith in 30 year first time OCs? It's easy to say there are coaches, but take one quick look and tell me who's intriguing at this point. 

1 minute ago, Vandy said:

Then you know who his QB was in Miami. There really shouldn’t be anything else to say about that.

Did you see him and manning together in Denver? Matt Ryan and Gase together would create that same magic. 

The QB issue were only a portion of the issues with the Dolphins. So that’s not exactly accurate that that was the only problem with the offense. 

There was also pi$$ poor schemes and gameplanning. He had a hard headed mentality where he wouldn’t adjust his scheme or at halftime. Sorry but those deal breakers in terms of coaches. A coach needs to know how to adjust. Gase hasn’t proved he can. 

Love Ryan, but Ryan is not Manning.  

2 hours ago, Sidecar Falcon said:

The QB issue were only a portion of the issues with the Dolphins. So that’s not exactly accurate that that was the only problem with the offense. 

There was also pi$$ poor schemes and gameplanning. He had a hard headed mentality where he wouldn’t adjust his scheme or at halftime. Sorry but those deal breakers in terms of coaches. A coach needs to know how to adjust. Gase hasn’t proved he can. 

Love Ryan, but Ryan is not Manning.  

We wouldn’t be hiring him to be our HC. And sorry, but I’m gonna take what Peyton Manning says over what gets said in here or by dolphins media.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/playoffs/2014/story/_/id/12104203/peyton-manning-denver-broncos-backs-adam-gase-jobs

And Matt Ryan is more like Peyton Manning as a QB than most of this board is capable of grasping.

Arians to Bucs is now official

Bucs hired Bruce Arians as head coach.

The coaching carousel's worst-kept secret is now official. Arians' latest "retirement" ends at one year. Rumored to be eyeing his ex-defensive coordinator Todd Bowles for the same job in Tampa, Arians could oversee a lightning quick turnaround for a franchise that has been adrift since firing Jon Gruden following the 2008 season. Going on 67, Arians is a stubborn, set in his ways head coach, but he likes aggressive defense and even more aggressive offense. That plays in the 2019 NFL. He's an excellent match with a like-minded Jameis Winston, though Winston's turnovers are going to drive Arians up the wall. Reducing them will be Arians' first project on offense. A dud in the broadcast booth, it's good to see Arians back on the sidelines, even though his tenure will likely be brief.

Jan 8 - 5:18 PM

4 minutes ago, Vandy said:

don't forget he had to start Brock Osweiler for 5 games along with having a 34 year old Frank Gore as the primary RB, but hey, if he was any good he could win with those guys lol

Vandy likes this

24 minutes ago, Vandy said:

We wouldn’t be hiring him to be our HC. And sorry, but I’m gonna take what Peyton Manning says over what gets said in here or by dolphins media.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/playoffs/2014/story/_/id/12104203/peyton-manning-denver-broncos-backs-adam-gase-jobs

And Matt Ryan is more like Peyton Manning as a QB than most of board is capable of grasping.

I remember wanting him in 08, while all my friends wanted Dorsey. I had to argue at the pub for months. After I said Matt Ryan is the next Peyton Manning, a buddy of mine made me say it again for the record on his phone. There are a lot of parallel s between the two. Manning never won a sb before he got a decent defense, and Ryan did everything needed to win one as soon as we had a half season of good defensive play.

Vandy likes this

8 minutes ago, vel said:

But you haven't named any...

My point is the options are few. They've interviewed the guys they are interested in from non-playoff teams. DQ is waiting on the playoff teams to finish. Of the 8 teams left, who's worth looking at? Press Taylor? Zac Taylor? You really placing your faith in 30 year first time OCs? It's easy to say there are coaches, but take one quick look and tell me who's intriguing at this point. 

Off the top of my head here are a few coaches better than Gase (and it’s not saying these coaches are good either)  Mularkey, Haley, Bevell to name a few. I personally wanted Kubiak but there’s little to no chance we get him. With Quinn pulling 

We’ve interviewed a few people so far. It’s not accurate to say that are options are “few” when the process just started.

They’ve set up interviews with coaches familiar with the players/system. They can also set up more interviews with other coaches available. 

34 minutes ago, Vandy said:

And Matt Ryan is more like Peyton Manning as a QB than most of board is capable of grasping.

I used to like Gase. Even used this same link back in the day to support him. However after seeing what he’s capable of with the Bears and the Dolphins I’m not impressed. He doesn’t adjust, that’s a deal breaker for me. It’s also one of the reasons we canned Sark too. 

2 minutes ago, Sidecar Falcon said:

Off the top of my head here are a few coaches better than Gase (and it’s not saying these coaches are good either)  Mularkey, Haley, Bevell to name a few. I personally wanted Kubiak but there’s little to no chance we get him. With Quinn pulling 

We’ve interviewed a few people so far. It’s not accurate to say that are options are “few” when the process just started.

They’ve set up interviews with coaches familiar with the players/system. They can also set up more interviews with other coaches available. 

Again, our options were few. Dirk Koetter is your Atlanta Falcons OC for 2019. 

Vandy and Schwarzwald like this

7 minutes ago, vel said:

Again, our options were few. Dirk Koetter is your Atlanta Falcons OC for 2019. 

Welp. Here’s to bubble screens ladies and gentleman. 

Also Mularkey is Falcons new TE coach as was expected by some

Falcons hired ex-Titans coach Mike Mularkey as TEs coach.

It's quite a fall for a coach who was most recently the two-year head man of the Titans. Mularkey will be the next man up if/when new Falcons OC Dirk Koetter gets fired.

Schwarzwald likes this