Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cole World

Coaching updates around the NFL

56 posts in this topic

1. Packers - Lafleur done

2. Cardinals - Kliff Kingsbury (almost done)

3. Bucs - Bruce Arians (close)

4. Broncos - Down to 2 candidates (Vic Fangio and Mike Munchak)

5. Browns - ? Kitchens

6. Dolphins - ?

7. Bengals - ? Rumors are Vance Joseph or Hue Jackson

8. Jets - ? McCarthy

Is Adam Gase a possibility if Mike McCarthy goes to Jets?

Broncos narrow head-coach search to two candidates, report says

After a handful of interviews, Broncos general manager John Elway has cut the number of candidates for his vacant head-coaching positions to two — Bears defensive coordinator Vic Fangio and Steelers offensive line coach Mike Munchak.

Elway has interviewed five potential hires since Denver finished the season 6-10 and he fired Vance Joseph. According to 9News.com, the former Broncos great “appears to be deciding between” Fangio and Munchak, with Fangio holding a “slight edge.”

Fangio is the architect of the league’s No. 1 scoring defense in 2018 but has never been a head coach on any level.

Munchak, who went 22-26 in three seasons as head coach of the Titans, has spent the last five seasons keeping Ben Roethlisberger clean.

Other candidates interviewed by Denver include former Colts coach Chuck Pagano, Rams quarterbacks coach Zac Taylor and Patriots defensive coordinator/linebackers coach Brian Flores.

http://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/news/broncos-head-coaching-search-john-elway-vic-fangio-mike-munchak/cvhpohfmpkun1dclp9klu26tu

@Vandy

FalconsIn2012, Vandy and papachaz like this

34 minutes ago, Cole World said:

1. Packers - Lafleur done

2. Cardinals - Kliff Kingsbury (almost done)

3. Bucs - Bruce Arians (close)

4. Broncos - Down to 2 candidates (Vic Fangio and Mike Munchak)

5. Browns - ? Kitchens

6. Dolphins - ?

7. Bengals - ? Rumors are Vance Joseph or Hue Jackson

8. Jets - ? McCarthy

Is Adam Gase a possibility if Mike McCarthy goes to Jets?

@Vandy

Cole...If I were the Browns, Adam Gase would already be my head coach. Let’s hope he falls through the cracks. Fingers crossed.

i sure don’t get the Kingsbury infatuation. Do you?

1 minute ago, Vandy said:

If I were the Browns, Adam Gase would already be my head coach. 

That would be odd. Landry is there and Landry don't like Gase.

4 minutes ago, vel said:

Getting close to Gase being a possibility. Once Lafleur went to GB and now that Kingsbury is the HC of Arizona, Gase doesn't have many options left for HC. It's Jets or bust for him at this point.

Yes, you're right. Hopefully the Jets go in a different direction.

NFL.com's Ian Rapoport reports Browns OC Freddie Kitchens and Vikings OC Kevin Stefanski are the two finalists for the Browns' head-coaching job.

That is Rapsheet's "understanding." Both coordinators are apparently meeting with the team on Tuesday. It stands to reason Kitchens is the favorite after the Browns got to watch him turn around the team's offense "in person," so to speak.

This could actually be extremely relevant to the Falcons & would make a lot of sense why we might've already made Koetter an offer, but he has not yet accepted.

The Vikings are also looking at Dirk Koetter as a possible replacement for interim OC Kevin Stefanski. If Stefanksi gets the Browns HC job, that could lead to Koetter trying to leverage the Falcons and Vikings against each other for his services.

https://thevikingage.com/2019/01/07/report-vikings-dirk-koetter-offensive-coordinator/

9 minutes ago, Cole World said:

That would be odd. Landry is there and Landry don't like Gase.

Landry can be replaced. It’s imperative Browns get mayfield the right coach.

again, I hope they don’t and we get him.

papachaz likes this

3 minutes ago, Vandy said:

Landry can be replaced. It’s imperative Browns get mayfield the right coach.

If they go any other direction besides Kitchens, it will be classic Browns. Amazing that it's even gotten to this point. 

papachaz likes this

19 minutes ago, Lornoth said:

You know Gase wants another HC opportunity. If he's not offered one this year, OC of the Falcons is pretty much the next best thing. You know OC's with a desire to climb the ladder look at Mularkey, Koetter, and Shanny. 

But is one year of Adam Gase and then having to scramble  (again) to find another OC the move that's best for the Falcons??

Pacific_Falcon likes this

21 minutes ago, Lornoth said:

You know Gase wants another HC opportunity. If he's not offered one this year, OC of the Falcons is pretty much the next best thing. You know OC's with a desire to climb the ladder look at Mularkey, Koetter, and Shanny. 

It would really be strange to see Gase get a HC immediately after being fired for the same position with a losing record.  It would be even stranger to see him go to a divisional opponent.   After all, they saw how poorly he handled the HC position up close.  

1 minute ago, Vandy said:

Folks were saying same thing about KS when we hired him too.

Two of the other teams I follow frequently are the Bears (My second team) and the Dolphins (Best Friend’s team). Saw the way he coached when he was with them. He’s not good. Used to be a big supporter of his. Turns out Manning was running the show that year. 

Here is my take on the Falcons OC position. This is based on nothing but my gut feel.

1) The Falcons first choice was Kubiak. The Falcons were actually done a favor when he dropped off the board very quickly.

2) Gase just doesn't seem to be a primary option. TATF seems to be the only platform where I've seen him mentioned. Where he is mentioned in reports by guys like Butt, he is just mentioned as an unattached possibility. There are no firm indications of interest on either side. I wonder if there is a concern about having two captains on the bridge if Gase is hired (personal thought, nothing more. Don't panic.)?

3) Bevell is an option if preferred options fall through. I think there is mutual respect, but his prefered offensive approach is a poor match for current Falcons offensive personnel. 

4) Koetter is Ryan's preferred option and I just feel like there is something between an "offer" and an "agreement in principle" on the table, but both sides have agreed "no harm, no foul" on exploring options. I wonder if he has reservations about returning? Professionally it would have to feel like rolling back to a previously held position (again, no panicking, my uninformed opinion).  If he is hired, I agree with ESPN's take (McClure) that he would be highly compensated. 

Of these things, I think item # 1 is the one I'm least certain about. I think Kubiac wants to be an OC and if Denver brings in an offensive coach he could become available. 

8 minutes ago, Dr Long Shot said:

But is one year of Adam Gase and then having to scramble  (again) to find another OC the move that's best for the Falcons??

If we win a super bowl, heck yeah it is.

papachaz likes this

11 minutes ago, Dr Long Shot said:

well, after SF goes belly up again next year, Kyle might be available  :ninja::ninja:

Pacific_Falcon likes this

6 minutes ago, Sidecar Falcon said:

Two of the other teams I follow frequently are the Bears (My second team) and the Dolphins (Best Friend’s team). Saw the way he coached when he was with them. He’s not good. Used to be a big supporter of his. Turns out Manning was running the show that year. 

Then you know who his QB was in Miami. There really shouldn’t be anything else to say about that.

Did you see him and manning together in Denver? Matt Ryan and Gase together would create that same magic. 

FalconsIn2012 likes this

3 minutes ago, vel said:

I'm talking that's available and potential to come to Atlanta

Quite a few coaches. “Potential to come” means very little when the interviewing process has just started. We don’t know who’s on their list. You asked which coaches were better and there’s quite a few.