Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
sandtrap

Free Agent Offensive Linemen

24 posts in this topic

Just curious to know if there are any worthwhile guards or RTs that are free agents this year. I’m hoping we go heavy, if not 100% in the trenches for the draft but a solid veteran pickup could help. 

One day I intend to thread a list of names and bios but when I previously looked there was a decent crop of 4th and 5th year players with solid experience who won't be big time free agents. 

papachaz likes this

3 minutes ago, E. T. said:

Man, I remember when Greg Robinson was a can't miss T prospect.  And a lot of this board were angry he didn't fall to us and we had to settle for Matthews.

No hate -- I was on the fence personally.  But good grief how far that dude has fallen.

1 minute ago, JDaveG said:

Man, I remember when Greg Robinson was a can't miss T prospect.  And a lot of this board were angry he didn't fall to us and we had to settle for Matthews.

No hate -- I was on the fence personally.  But good grief how far that dude has fallen.

Yep, he was beasting it at Auburn, but the NFL exposed him. Not his fault, the NFL tends to do that to many many players fresh out of college. The transition is rough!

JDaveG and sandtrap like this

2 hours ago, JDaveG said:

I know right? I wasn't necessarily MAD that he didn't fall to us, but I was surprised he went as high as he did

He was definitely a disappointment early on. However, he actually played pretty well once the Browns put him in this year. I believe they were amongst the teams with the fewest sacks allowed after putting him in the lineup at LT, and they hope to resign him.

FA classic is trash.  I don't want to overpay for guys you hope might be slightly above average.  I want to draft guys with potential to be way above average.  1st round: best available of Jonah William's, Cody Ford, Greg Little, Jawan Taylor.  2nd round: repeat, and add Yodney Cajuste and Elgton Jenkins if all 4 of the above are gone.  

7 minutes ago, gtech1 said:

FA classic is trash.  I don't want to overpay for guys you hope might be slightly above average.  I want to draft guys with potential to be way above average.  1st round: best available of Jonah William's, Cody Ford, Greg Little, Jawan Taylor.  2nd round: repeat, and add Yodney Cajuste and Elgton Jenkins if all 4 of the above are gone.  

You can't draft a superstar at every pick. A surefire above-average starting on our OLine can be a lot better than a rookie that may be absolute trash. Especially if it means we don't have to reach for one of the few great olinemen and can draft the best DLine player on the board. Above-average OLineman + great rookie DLineman > Risky rookie Olineman, sometimes.

ATLSlobberKnockers and Geneaut like this

7 minutes ago, gtech1 said:

Agree but we may need to replace 3 OL this offseason. That may be more than is feasible in one draft. Sign one guy and then don't be forced to reach to just fill a spot.

Lots of these guys will not actually be availabe when FA opens, some like Saffold most def are because the Rams are forced to let them go because of their cap situation.  

3 hours ago, JDaveG said:

i remember this well.  my how the mighty have fallen

JDaveG likes this

Some here may have felt he was a can’t miss prospect but he was always a risky prospect coming out. Matthews was always considered the safe one but some folks fell in love with Robinson’s workouts and hung onto that. Good thing we ended up with Matthews he is playing at a pro bowl level

JDaveG and gtech1 like this

I never understood the Robinson love. The dude was a clear OG playing LT. Never blocked a single edge rusher in his time at Auburn. There was a reason for that. But people loved his size and physicality. 

ATLSlobberKnockers and JDaveG like this

2 minutes ago, Geneaut said:

I really wanted him.

a lot of us did, but again i didnt think we had a shot at him-  he did ok for some time, but had a lot of penalties called on him i think.

1 hour ago, Geneaut said:

Agree but we may need to replace 3 OL this offseason. That may be more than is feasible in one draft. Sign one guy and then don't be forced to reach to just fill a spot.

Falcons need  to get away from ZBS style blocking.  Go back to a power run scheme.

3 hours ago, Geneaut said:

None of the guys I listed would be a reach.

2 hours ago, DMT11 said:

Lots of these guys will not actually be availabe when FA opens, some like Saffold most def are because the Rams are forced to let them go because of their cap situation.  

Saffold and massie would be incredible

3 hours ago, Geneaut said:

Seems like other than Mack and Matthews all we have are backups atm.. Idk what Gono may become but we need at least one proven lineman at RT.. Maybe draft the rest 

Geneaut likes this