Francis York Morgan

For those worried about the Koetter "hire"

98 posts in this topic

32 minutes ago, JDaveG said:

I don't disagree with the last line honestly.  I think what did Sark in was sub-par performance against better teams, but I also think he's fundamentally a good coach.

Having said that though, Bevell almost certainly uses typical WCO terminology, so he's a shoe-in for continuity.  And I disagree that his passing game is "at a lesser level."  Lesser than Shanahan in 2016 for sure, but the guy knows offense and he has had a great deal of success, including a Super Bowl win.  

Bevell has been running/coaching WCO since he was Favre’s QB coach during the glory years.  There is a reason Favre thought Bevell should have been GB’s next HC.  He is a dang good playcaller.

JDaveG likes this

9 minutes ago, Falconsin2012 said:

Bevell has been running/coaching WCO since he was Favre’s QB coach during the glory years.  There is a reason Favre thought Bevell should have been GB’s next HC.  He is a dang good playcaller.

Well those were Mike Sherman days. After that Bevell went after Scrambling QB.

9 minutes ago, Vandy said:

Yup. It was an overreaction, probably by Arthur. 

****, if it were me, I would promise half the ranch to Gase. Gase + Quinn would bring us a SB, I just know it. 

For the folks who long for Shanny, Gase is the closest thing to him out there. Maybe even better. 

Exactly. He's the only hire I see them making that could move the needle. He's got actual experience running multiple schemes. I'd rather risk Gase and Matt getting along than Koetter trying to fit in. 

Vandy and kiwifalcon like this

1 minute ago, vel said:

Exactly. He's the only hire I see them making that could move the needle. He's got actual experience running multiple schemes. I'd rather risk Gase and Matt getting along than Koetter trying to fit in. 

Seriously, though -- what do you think the odds are he is even interested in an OC position?  

I mean, if he doesn't get a HC job, sure.  If he does, obviously he'll take that.  And even if he doesn't and comes here as the OC, he's going to be a 1-2 year rental, because he will get HC interest again.  

The only way I see this working long-term is if Gase just isn't interested in a HC job. And since he's interviewing for multiple positions, that doesn't seem to be the case.

10 minutes ago, JDaveG said:

Seriously, though -- what do you think the odds are he is even interested in an OC position?  

I mean, if he doesn't get a HC job, sure.  If he does, obviously he'll take that.  And even if he doesn't and comes here as the OC, he's going to be a 1-2 year rental, because he will get HC interest again.  

The only way I see this working long-term is if Gase just isn't interested in a HC job. And since he's interviewing for multiple positions, that doesn't seem to be the case.

Just give us a Shanny window. 2 years. 

Gase is definitely worth AB’s best shot.

JDaveG, Falcons In 2012 and vel like this

2 hours ago, Francis York Morgan said:

The official Falcons Twitter retweeted Kelsey Conway's article about how the Falcons have no front runner but are interested in certain coaches still in the playoffs. This page is run by social media representatives in the Falcons org who can only post legitimate news.

D-Led's scoop came just a few hours later and has not been mentioned a bit on that page. It has no reputable backing.

Keep in mind this is the same guy who reported we were signing Rex Ryan at head coach, that we had agreed to terms with Brent Grimes, that we were losing multiple high picks due to Noisegate, that we were trying to trade up for Todd Gurley, etc. The dude probably writes his articles with a crayon. He just wants to be the first on something - anything - so he makes stuff up before anyone else and hopes he's right. 

If Koetter is hired, I'll change my profile pic to a pic of D-Led. Dude is a tool. He doesn't have a clue. You'll see.

If Koetter doesnt get hired. 

Dled needs to be FIRED!! 

1 minute ago, JDaveG said:

Same odds as Kubiak. In all reality, whoever we hire is going to get HC looks. OCs are en vogue as playcallers for young QBs. Let Koetter work his magic with Matt and somebody is coming in 2-3 years poaching again. 

kiwifalcon and JDaveG like this

3 hours ago, Francis York Morgan said:

The official Falcons Twitter retweeted Kelsey Conway's article about how the Falcons have no front runner but are interested in certain coaches still in the playoffs. This page is run by social media representatives in the Falcons org who can only post legitimate news.

D-Led's scoop came just a few hours later and has not been mentioned a bit on that page. It has no reputable backing.

Keep in mind this is the same guy who reported we were signing Rex Ryan at head coach, that we had agreed to terms with Brent Grimes, that we were losing multiple high picks due to Noisegate, that we were trying to trade up for Todd Gurley, etc. The dude probably writes his articles with a crayon. He just wants to be the first on something - anything - so he makes stuff up before anyone else and hopes he's right. 

If Koetter is hired, I'll change my profile pic to a pic of D-Led. Dude is a tool. He doesn't have a clue. You'll see.

I wonder if on the final draft he switches to red on the parts he wants to emphasize.....;)

16 minutes ago, papachaz said:

I wonder if on the final draft he switches to red on the parts he wants to emphasize.....;)

Gotta say, Papa is crushing it today! 

JDaveG and papachaz like this

21 minutes ago, runshoot said:

+1 for DOLt using crayons.

I honestly believe that there are people at Flowery Branch that mess with him, feeding him bad info and poor takes.

He eats it up. Maybe Koetter called in a favor, trying to get the Vikes to overpay.

Vandy, JDaveG and papachaz like this

3 hours ago, JDaveG said:

I just checked nfl.com and espn and neither are reporting this. 

If they could independently verify anything, they would. That doesn’t mean it isn’t true, but it certainly doesn’t suggest it is either. 

Then again, it could. Then again, I could not. Then again then again...

JDaveG and papachaz like this

26 minutes ago, runshoot said:

+1 for DOLt using crayons.

I honestly believe that there are people at Flowery Branch that mess with him, feeding him bad info and poor takes.

Oh Jesus I need that job! :lol:

runshoot and papachaz like this

6 minutes ago, Ezekiel 25:17 said:

Oh Jesus I need that job! :lol:

"D-Led, someone in the front office said Coach Quinn watched the 2002 Lions-Bears game and decided to make Marty Mornhinweg his game management assistant......." 

papachaz and Ezekiel 25:17 like this

2 hours ago, vel said:

Not drop off, but adjustment. Matt doesn't know Gase. Just like he didn't know Kyle or Sark. We can't downplay that. Koetter was the only OC he took to immediately. His system is well suited for this roster because it's diverse and multiple. Koetter has not ran anything but his four verts scheme at every stop. That would take adjusting to for him, but he's got Knapp and Matt and a proven passing attack. 

Bevell isn't good. Should have kept Sark if we're going to go with Bevell. And who on the Chiefs, Rams, or Eagles wouldn't be significantly riskier than Koetter/Gase/Bevell? That's my point. It's easy to just say we can find one, but with DQ's seat nice and warm right now, no way he's putting himself on a limb for an unknown like Zac Taylor, for example. 

It's not just Ryan that goes through a learning curve. It's just as much the receivers, backs, and OLinemen. Yeah Ryan has played under Koetter before but how many of those other players did? Off the top of my head I'd say not many. There'd still be a learning curve under Koetter. 

Vandy likes this

1 hour ago, JDaveG said:

Tell you what I think the Falcons would be quite attractive.

The only caveat I’d have written is if he only wanted a deal with that 2nd year option to move on then for me Gase would be a waste of time.Continuity I guess is what we want right now with the OC.

JDaveG likes this

30 minutes ago, JDaveG said:

"D-Led, someone in the front office said Coach Quinn watched the 2002 Lions-Bears game and decided to make Marty Mornhinweg his game management assistant......." 

I’m still trying to get over @SpongeDad calling me a Taints fan in the other chat! :lol:

JDaveG and SpongeDad like this

13 minutes ago, Ezekiel 25:17 said:

Where did you find this image of me!!? :o

It's better if you look at the picture and read "but that don't make no sense" in D-Led's voice :lol:

Ezekiel 25:17 likes this

3 minutes ago, Ezekiel 25:17 said:

I’m still trying to get over @SpongeDad calling me a Taints fan in the other chat! :lol:

man, I apologized. I know calling you a Taints fan is worse than kicking your dog. It was an honest mistake mixing you up with @Dago 3.0. I truly feel horrible about it.

JDaveG, Vandy and Ezekiel 25:17 like this