falcons007

Are the falcons planning to run similar to what Dallas runs?

57 posts in this topic

Just now, runshoot said:

Thats really an overlooked detail I think. Imagine a world where Ty Sambraillo played better than Shraeder. THAT was the world we were living in and **** it was a nightmare.

Yup....we could not hold the edge to save our life

10 hours ago, Ergo Proxy said:

Sark clearly couldn’t overcome OL woes when vs tougher D. Can’t be feast or famine and that starts with LOS/run game. 

The thing is, I'm not at all convinced Koetter can either.  He's already shown he can't, so has he learned?

The thing about that Shanahan system is it has a few key elements that help in the run game even with sub-par o-linemen.  First, they stay dedicated to the run.  You run even when they stack the box. You run even when it isn't working.  Why?  Because it keeps the defense off balance.  They never know if it's run or pass, so you catch them flat-footed more often.  Second, they can show run blocking while running a pass play.  It's not your typical PA type stuff, because in other systems (like Koetter's), a lot of the time you can tell whether it's a pass or run by how the o-line lines up.  In the Shanahan/Kubiak system, you can't.  Because they'll still pull you sideline to sideline and the QB boots out and hits a pass play.  Or they do an RPO, or whatever.  Third, it utilizes a ton of 21 personnel looks, but you can pass out of them because you can send 5 receivers out from 21 personnel.  You can do that in a Coryell system too, or in other systems (Reeves used to do this a lot with the FB).  But it is a feature of this particular system.

So unless Koetter decides affirmatively to 1) commit to the run game, 2) commit to outside zone blocking to help with PA, and 3) use formations to keep the defense off balance (Koetter didn't really do that here -- not sure if he evolved at TB or not), we absolutely will need a lot of solid players on the o-line to make it work.

If we get them, Koetter will light it up.  He's a really good coordinator.  But if we don't........well, I still remember 2013 and 2014.

If true this is more about comfortability than improving the scheme. I sense the same problems we already had in the run game, especially short yardage.

:flush:

39 minutes ago, JDaveG said:

The thing is, I'm not at all convinced Koetter can either.  He's already shown he can't, so has he learned?

The thing about that Shanahan system is it has a few key elements that help in the run game even with sub-par o-linemen.  First, they stay dedicated to the run.  You run even when they stack the box. You run even when it isn't working.  Why?  Because it keeps the defense off balance.  They never know if it's run or pass, so you catch them flat-footed more often.  Second, they can show run blocking while running a pass play.  It's not your typical PA type stuff, because in other systems (like Koetter's), a lot of the time you can tell whether it's a pass or run by how the o-line lines up.  In the Shanahan/Kubiak system, you can't.  Because they'll still pull you sideline to sideline and the QB boots out and hits a pass play.  Or they do an RPO, or whatever.  Third, it utilizes a ton of 21 personnel looks, but you can pass out of them because you can send 5 receivers out from 21 personnel.  You can do that in a Coryell system too, or in other systems (Reeves used to do this a lot with the FB).  But it is a feature of this particular system.

So unless Koetter decides affirmatively to 1) commit to the run game, 2) commit to outside zone blocking to help with PA, and 3) use formations to keep the defense off balance (Koetter didn't really do that here -- not sure if he evolved at TB or not), we absolutely will need a lot of solid players on the o-line to make it work.

If we get them, Koetter will light it up.  He's a really good coordinator.  But if we don't........well, I still remember 2013 and 2014.

Well if you running outside zone blocking scheme. PA will work like very similar to WCO. It’s just route concepts and levels will differ.

JDaveG, Vandy and Ergo Proxy like this

1 minute ago, falcons007 said:

Well if you running outside zone blocking scheme. PA will work like very similar to WCO. It’s just route concepts and levels will differ.

And I'm cool with that.  Hopefully Knapp can help coordinate that, though he is the QB coach, not the running game coordinator (perhaps that would change?).

Ergo Proxy likes this

3 minutes ago, JDaveG said:

And I'm cool with that.  Hopefully Knapp can help coordinate that, though he is the QB coach, not the running game coordinator (perhaps that would change?).

I am not excited but just curious on how they could make this work if DK does get the job. 

Ergo Proxy and Vandy like this

1 minute ago, falcons007 said:

I am not excited but just curious on how they could make this work if DK does get the job. 

I'm still on the "D-Led is making stuff up/getting trolled/giving Koetter a solid" train myself.

But if he's hired, there are certainly worse things.

falcons007 likes this

It is not like we were dead last in the NFL on offense his last 2 years here We still moved the ball in 13 and 14.....despite being depleted upfront by injuries. Is not like we were dead last in the NFL and offense his last two years here.

A healthy Freeman and an improved oline will make a difference

Vandy, falcons007 and Summerhill like this

3 minutes ago, falconsd56 said:

It is not like we were dead last in the NFL on offense his last 2 years here We still moved the ball in 13 and 14.....despite being depleted upfront by injuries. Is not like we were dead last in the NFL and offense his last two years here.

A healthy Freeman and an improved oline will make a difference

Ryan threw for 32, 26 and 28 TD every year with DK. It’s not terrible but I don’t like experimenting with Ryan’s prime years.

NeonDeion likes this

9 hours ago, JDaveG said:

Make Mularkey Funning game coordinator 

JDaveG and Ergo Proxy like this

We have a veteran QB who has experienced multiple techniques and I think brining in this coaching package is a vote of confidence in MR to bring a Lombardi to the ATL.  

On 1/7/2019 at 8:35 PM, Jesus said:

There is more than enough offensive talent on this team. Just need better guard play.

Better than average guard play makes this offense top 3 with Dirk, imo. 

NeonDeion likes this

3 hours ago, falcons007 said:

Well he won't be the screen game coordinator that's for sure

On 1/7/2019 at 10:39 PM, falcons007 said:

I would say may be different RB. DK utilized big guys as reviving options in Tampa and also when he was here in 2012. 

Maurice Jones-Drew did just fine under DK.

NeonDeion and falcons007 like this

On 1/7/2019 at 10:57 PM, Jesus said:

That first drive against Baltimore when he worked dink and dunk to an FG worked. Then he abandoned it to throw deep against one of the better deep throw defenses the rest of the game. 

Falcons also ran no-huddle that opening drive of the game and never went back to it. The no-huddle is the thing I'm most excited about with Koetter.

falcons007 and Falconsin2012 like this

10 hours ago, Falconsfan567 said:

Falcons also ran no-huddle that opening drive of the game and never went back to it. The no-huddle is the thing I'm most excited about with Koetter.

DQ need to make sure that’s run often. Smitty often went to no huddle if the offense plays in huddle weren’t working.

Falconsfan567 likes this

4 hours ago, russ7000 said:

should have draft Gurley <_< we be ahead of the game

Even Gurley needs a good OL. Just look at what he did in 2016 with a ****** OL.

JDaveG likes this

14 hours ago, Falconsfan567 said:

Even Gurley needs a good OL. Just look at what he did in 2016 with a ****** OL.

my point exactly ... we get a power O - Line he would have already been here and ready

On 1/8/2019 at 8:40 PM, falcons007 said:

I've let this go for 2 days now, but I have to say -- I think "Funning Game Coordinator" should be a thing.....

8 hours ago, JDaveG said:

I've let this go for 2 days now, but I have to say -- I think "Funning Game Coordinator" should be a thing.....

This just makes me think of Fun and Gun.

steve-spurrier.jpg

JDaveG likes this

4 minutes ago, Falconsfan567 said:

This just makes me think of Fun and Gun.

steve-spurrier.jpg

I want to hire Spurrier as Director of Trash Talk.

Falconsfan567 likes this

Just now, JDaveG said:

I want to hire Spurrier as Director of Trash Talk.

Perfect. My favorite one was when Peyton Manning was at Tennessee and Tennessee never beat Florida and one year Spurrier said "you can't spell citrus without UT." What made it even funnier was the Gators ended up in the citrus bowl that year.

JDaveG likes this

16 minutes ago, Falconsfan567 said:

Perfect. My favorite one was when Peyton Manning was at Tennessee and Tennessee never beat Florida and one year Spurrier said "you can't spell citrus without UT." What made it even funnier was the Gators ended up in the citrus bowl that year.

He also called the Citrus Bowl the "January home of the Tennessee Volunteers."

Calling Ray Goff "Ray Goof" is my favorite of all time though.

Falconsfan567 likes this