jlrfalcon

Breaking: Falcons offer Dirk Koetter offensive coordinator position

195 posts in this topic

56 minutes ago, DogIsYourName said:

Koetter will be fine as OC.  The Bucs had a better offense than we did.

I wouldn't have fired Sark but what's done is done.  It's not like there's some magical savant out there ready to ride this horse to the SB.

We just need to get our injured guys back, patch up the trenches, and not do anything too complicated or new.  We need MR2 to know his reads and have time to go through them.  That's it!  Firing Sark made this more complicated but again what's done is done.

No they didn't. 

Because I've seen people say this multiple times, the Bucs offense was in no way better than ours this season. The Falcons had:

More points
More points per drive
More yards per drive
More time of possession per drive
More yards per run
More points per redzone trip
Less turnovers per drive

The Bucs offense was worse across the board. They did, however, get almost an entire extra drive per game, because our defense was that trash. I honestly think Sark would have kept his job if our defense was better.

17 hours ago, RubberDucky said:

If this is true and DQ has really hired Koetter and is planning on forcing him to run our current scheme, then DQ is a fudging moron. 

It'll show me he has learned nothing from his past mistakes and should have probably been let go w/ the rest of his staff.

I agree... I've been wanting Dan Quinn gone for awhile knowing it wasn't time for it to happen but if this is true then it's now time for Quinn to go...

Posted (edited)

16 hours ago, falconsd56 said:

Not true.

Dk did a good job of setting plays up.

He ran that outside bubble screen a few times and then when teams adjusted to it he threw in the wrinkle of a pump fake and wheel route......and then when teams adjusted to that he added the deep post on the other side to the route combo.

He also set up that play action shuffle pass that we used so much in the red zone

There are more but those 2 stick out to me

It is true. I remember a few series where we ran multiple bubble screens with no set up. Even ran the same bubble screen play twice in the three downs.

We feasted on bottom feeding defenses and struggled with mid to high tier ones. His play calling is stale and predictable. Watched a few TB games this season. Their offensive playcalling was very similar to the way it was called here. 

Edited by Sidecar Falcon

4 hours ago, JDaveG said:

Defense was just garbage those years.  And it seemed to get worse as time wore on.

We had a horrible yardage defense but we were top 10 in turnovers and like top 15 or so in points. They were opportunistic. We had Asante Samuel snd B. Grimes at CB then. Abe was our playmaker on the DL. We werent great but they complimented the offense. 

11 hours ago, Knight of God said:

Those were the years I could not stand to watch. The offense was very predictable and was just as much a reason for us going nowhere as the defense. So yes.

I don't call making it to the NFC CG as going nowhere. As for 2013 and 2014, I don't see how you can blame any of that on Koetter. Roddy got old overnight and Julio only played 5 games in 2013. We had over the hill Steven Jackson as RB. It was setup to be a complete disaster offensively in 2013 and 2014. But top 10 in yards and points in 2012.

2 hours ago, Lornoth said:

Because I've seen people say this multiple times, the Bucs offense was in no way better than ours this season. The Falcons had:

More points
More points per drive
More yards per drive
More time of possession per drive
More yards per run
More points per redzone trip
Less turnovers per drive

The Bucs offense was worse across the board. They did, however, get almost an entire extra drive per game, because our defense was that trash. I honestly think Sark would have kept his job if our defense was better.

Exactly. There was no reason to fire Sark. But you can't undo that mistake. Koetter is far from my first choice but I wouldn't totally hate it.

12 minutes ago, Falconsfan567 said:

I don't call making it to the NFC CG as going nowhere. As for 2013 and 2014, I don't see how you can blame any of that on Koetter. Roddy got old overnight and Julio only played 5 games in 2013. We had over the hill Steven Jackson as RB. It was setup to be a complete disaster offensively in 2013 and 2014. But top 10 in yards and points in 2012.

I can’t watch Koetter ball, but I’m cool with the fact that you can. 

18 hours ago, atljbo said:

.I dont get why some of yall acting like Kotter is a bum... Dude is a good OC

i know he got on my nerves with them **** screens but he was a good OC here..

With Matt Ryanplaying  super sayian gawd Matt Ryan...... I think this is going to be a special offense

Nah mastered ultra instinct matt ryan brother but i wouldn't mind kutty i just have my heart set on Kubiak..elway is a whole ***** for blocking interviews man

Posted (edited)

4 hours ago, JDaveG said:

Defense was just garbage those years.  And it seemed to get worse as time wore on.

Our defense in 2012 was probably the best defense we have had in the last 20 years... We made Peyton Manning and Drew Brees both having monster season look silly.  Problem was we lost Abe in the playoffs and our defense couldn't function without him. If we hadn't lost Abe we would have won it all that season imo.

Amazing how much flack Smitty got for benching our starters in 2010 when we had #1 seed locked up by week 17, and then how much flack he got by playing our starters in week 17 in 2012 and seeing Dunta Robinson and Abraham get injured. 

Edited by Dr Long Shot

8 minutes ago, Knight of God said:

I can’t watch Koetter ball, but I’m cool with the fact that you can. 

I watched Bobby Petrino. I watched June Jones. If I can put up with them then I can put up with Koetter. LOL!

Please hire Adam Gase!!

Falconsin2012 likes this

5 minutes ago, RoddyWhite84 said:

Nah mastered ultra instinct matt ryan brother but i wouldn't mind kutty i just have my heart set on Kubiak..elway is a whole ***** for blocking interviews man

Kubiak is by far my first option.... Elways got that bear hug on Kubiak tho..... I just dont think Koetter is as bad as some trying to make it seem

Falconsfan567 likes this

4 hours ago, Falconsfan567 said:

I watched Bobby Petrino. I watched June Jones. If I can put up with them then I can put up with Koetter. LOL!

Please hire Adam Gase!!

Sorry bro. I’m a busy man and my time is literally money now. It’s not worth it at this stage. I’ll just check the box scores

atljbo likes this

4 minutes ago, Knight of God said:

Sorry bro. I’m a busy man and my time is literally money now. It’s not worth it at this stage. I’ll just check the box scores

Been doing that since 2017 season.  Less and less this year. 

Knight of God likes this

Posted (edited)

IDK why people get mad when KoG says he isn't gonna watch. Football is a hobby, he's a grown man. He can do what he wants :lol:

Edited by HEIST
atljbo likes this

Great!  There is no configuration that would have set us up better for quick success next year than this IMHO.  There was no one who had a better understanding of the NFC South opponent defensive schemes than DK.   MM being brought in as the Tight Ends coach brings his best attributes to the Falcons.  Don't worry about west coast O being abandoned after a difficult learning curve, our veteran QB has seen the best of both systems and he is set up for immediate success.  Great thing to look forward to Falcons!

Here is why I can look at the positives and be supportive of this move. Dirk Koetter has proven in the past that if you give him a good running game he will use it. That checks off that concern. I'm also fully convinced that Koetter, Knapp and Mularkey will work well together otherwise they wouldn't force them to work together. It's no surprise that the Koetter and Mularkey hires were announced at the same time. That means they were hired together. That means this was discussed before any decisions were made. That means Knapp was involved in the process as well. Lastly, the main reason I can believe that this will work is because Dirk Koetter is a smart enough man to mesh his stuff to the stuff already in place and make it work. Oh, and here's a bonus reason to be excited, Matt Ryan!! Ryan knows Dirk. Dirk knows Ryan. There's no learning curve there. They each know what Ryan's best plays are and what he's successful with. Ryan is also a better player now than he was 5 years ago when Dirk left. I'm sure Dirk learned some things in those 5 years as well that makes him a better game planner and play caller. There's a lot to be excited with here.

JDaveG likes this

23 hours ago, atljbo said:

.I dont get why some of yall acting like Kotter is a bum... Dude is a good OC

i know he got on my nerves with them **** screens but he was a good OC here..

With Matt Ryanplaying  super sayian gawd Matt Ryan...... I think this is going to be a special offense

Dirks offense wasn't bad at Tampa......but the "D" wasn't good at all. The offense lacked consistency......but that was not altogether his fault. Not trying to say I wanted him back particularly......but at least he knows the NFL and Matt.

atljbo likes this

34 minutes ago, HEIST said:

IDK why people get mad when KoG says he isn't gonna watch. Football is a hobby, he's a grown man. He can do what he wants :lol:

Exactly lol

Not thrilled...this does nothing for our running game.

Remember the toss sweep with Sark? you Then you'll remember the WR screens with Koetter.