Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Carter

Playoff expansion rejected

23 posts in this topic

Just posted on Rivals...

From CFP President Mark Keenum

SAN JOSE, Calif. – “We have concluded our annual meeting of the College Football Playoff Board of Managers. As we do every year, we meet alongside the commissioners, and Notre Dame’s Athletics Director, to review the ongoing operations of the Playoff, now entering its sixth year.

It is our unanimous agreement that the Playoff has been a tremendous success for students, fans, and universities. We are very proud of it. Fans love to watch it and we look forward to its continued success.

When it comes to the Playoff, as part of our normalreview, we always look at everything and we will do so again. 

Our job as university presidents is to listen to a variety of views, as we do every day back on campus, and every year when we consider how best to run the CFP. Academics, student-athlete well-being, existing contractual agreements and the overall good of the game are just a few of the issues we consider. At all times, we want our students who play sports to be successful in college and in life.

As far as expanding the number of teams in the Playoff, it’s way too soo– much too soon – to know if that is even a possibility. It’s fair to say the speculation about expansion has outdistanced the reality of what the commissioners and the presidents have discussed. If a decision were to be made down the road, the Presidents would be the ones to make it and we are not there.

At some point down the road, as part of our regular review of all matters pertaining to the Playoff, the management committee will meet, and it will consider all aspects of the Playoff, as it routinely does. When that discussion happens, I advise observers not to read too much into it. We have a twelve-year contract we are very happy with. It is always appropriate to ask the right questions and to examine every issue to be sure we have things right. We are very satisfied with the Playoff and look forward to its continued success.

Like I said before. Get the playoff right and football is relevant for about 4 months every year. Introduce controversy or get it wrong and college football is a staple on every sports broadcast year round. Controversy makes everyone a lot more money than delcaring a definitive champion. 

Quick and easy power 5 conference champions,3 at large bids 8 teams start playoff a week early, Try and play them in existing 2nd tier bowls regionally if possible. Georgia vs Ohio State at the Music City bowl in Nashville for example. This year I didnt watch one complete game except the playoff's. 

I kind of agree with not expanding the playoff only due to the amount of games the kids will have to play. This year both Clemson and Bama played 15 games, adding more games on the schedule is asking a lot of these kids.

My son is in the Million Dollar Band and even he hardly had a Christmas break due to traveling to Miami and Santa Clara, I can only imagine how it was for the players. You need to remember these are 18-22 year old kids.

Players just got back yesterday and classes started today.

I am just not sure when this extra games would be played? After conference championships there is dead week and finals, then Christamas and semi-finals.

We really don’t need an expanded playoff with the way FBS is structured. There are blowouts in the playoff every year as it is and we can’t seem to ever get 4 teams that are all championship quality... and some folks want to have 6-8 teams in with guaranteed conference champions in? Makes no sense. If even half of FBS teams were worth a **** we might could have that conversation, but as it is out of 140ish teams maybe 10-15 are good teams at the end of the season and only ever like 3 in any given year that are actually national championship quality teams.

Sorry but it doesn’t make sense. It might look good on paper but it’s a terrible idea with how extremely top heavy FBS college football is. It’s not like NFL where any given Sunday a team can lose or even regional high school or lower tier college football where talent levels are much much closer.

13 hours ago, BamaBirdLady said:

I kind of agree with not expanding the playoff only due to the amount of games the kids will have to play. This year both Clemson and Bama played 15 games, adding more games on the schedule is asking a lot of these kids.

My son is in the Million Dollar Band and even he hardly had a Christmas break due to traveling to Miami and Santa Clara, I can only imagine how it was for the players. You need to remember these are 18-22 year old kids.

Players just got back yesterday and classes started today.

I am just not sure when this extra games would be played? After conference championships there is dead week and finals, then Christamas and semi-finals.

North Dakota State played 15 games and won another National Championship. Maybe remove this BS cupcake games everyone plays and start the playoffs the week after Conference Championship Week. Teams sit idle almost a month anyways. It would give a dark horse teams like Boise in 2006 when they beat Oklahoma a shot. And if you don’t think they maybe could have won that year you are delusional.

9 hours ago, wartownfalcon said:

North Dakota State played 15 games and won another National Championship. Maybe remove this BS cupcake games everyone plays and start the playoffs the week after Conference Championship Week. Teams sit idle almost a month anyways. It would give a dark horse teams like Boise in 2006 when they beat Oklahoma a shot. And if you don’t think they maybe could have won that year you are delusional.

First off, the week after SECCG it is dead week, the next week is finals, and that Saturday is graduation. So until December 15th the students are not idle!

The next week and into the next is Christmas celebrations and I know that my son, again in the band not a player, had to leave the morning of the 26th to get back to Tuscaloosa to travel to Miami. The players got there earlier than the band.

So when would this extra game take place is this time period. People forget, these are students,yes some are focused on the NFL, but most will not play in the NFL.  They get their degrees and do something else. They also deserve a break and time with their families over Christmas.

Ovie_Lover likes this

1 hour ago, BamaBirdLady said:

First off, the week after SECCG it is dead week, the next week is finals, and that Saturday is graduation. So until December 15th the students are not idle!

The next week and into the next is Christmas celebrations and I know that my son, again in the band not a player, had to leave the morning of the 26th to get back to Tuscaloosa to travel to Miami. The players got there earlier than the band.

So when would this extra game take place is this time period. People forget, these are students,yes some are focused on the NFL, but most will not play in the NFL.  They get their degrees and do something else. They also deserve a break and time with their families over Christmas.

Doesn’t seem to mess with the FCS teams...so that excuse it weak

FCS playoff starts Thanksgiving Week and goes til Mid December then off for finals, Christmas and New Years then play that Saturday following New Years....like I said, have 1 maybe 2 out of conference Rivalry Weeks and the rest Conference games.

https://www.ncaa.com/brackets/print/football/fcs/2018  

This bracket has 24 teams, 8 have a first round bye. You could cut that down to 12 and have 4 teams with a bye like NFL. That’s 4 weeks. They could start playoffs for the first week of December and go until mid December so the kids can have off for finals, Christmas and New Year’s and have the championship game the weekend or Monday after New Year’s.

17 minutes ago, wartownfalcon said:

FCS playoff starts Thanksgiving Week and goes til Mid December then off for finals, Christmas and New Years then play that Saturday following New Years....like I said, have 1 maybe 2 out of conference Rivalry Weeks and the rest Conference games.

This bracket has 24 teams, 8 have a first round bye. You could cut that down to 12 and have 4 teams with a bye like NFL. That’s 4 weeks. They could start playoffs for the first week of December and go until mid December so the kids can have off for finals, Christmas and New Year’s and have the championship game the weekend or Monday after New Year’s.

That Monday is when classes start for the new semester.

36 minutes ago, wartownfalcon said:

FBS and FCS are not structured the same way though. You can’t really take the FCS model and say “let’s just do it like this,” because it doesn’t work the same way. FBS has big television contracts that require certain regular season and conference championship games be played on certain days from September through the first week of December - and most importantly, the entire postseason format is different.

FCS has an NCAA operated playoff which piggybacks right off of the regular season and that is the entire postseason. Period. FBS has bowl games and the NCAA doesn’t operate the bowl games nor the CFP playoff. 24 FCS teams play in the postseason. 82 FBS teams played in bowl games for the 2018 season.

Also, I have griped plenty about big time college football teams playing these cupcake games but none of these schools are going to go for the kind of wholesale change you are suggesting. FBS teams schedule FCS teams to fill in gaps in their 12 game schedules and these FCS teams need these games to help fund their athletic department budgets and scholarship funds.

Ovie_Lover likes this

51 minutes ago, wartownfalcon said:

Doesn’t seem to mess with the FCS teams...so that excuse it weak

It is not an excuse, it is the facts of their schedule. If you can tell me when they can play their games in that schedule, without changing the entirety of the whole season, please do.

3 minutes ago, Yo_Lover said:

My classes started Monday.

Not all schools have the same schedule, where do you attend school? Are you on the semester or quarter system?

My apologies, it was 1/8 when the classes started.

Edited by BamaBirdLady

3 minutes ago, BamaBirdLady said:

Not all schools have the same schedule, where do you attend school? Are you on the semester or quarter system?

My apologies, it was 1/8 when the classes started.

Well obviously not everyone uses the same schedule, but other schools will start on Monday like mine. And semester.

1 minute ago, Yo_Lover said:

Well obviously not everyone uses the same schedule, but other schools will start on Monday like mine. And semester.

You know I was thinking, maybe he didn't have a Monday class this semester, I'm not sure.

The most interesting part of the whole meeting is that it was unanimous, so all the non power 5 conferences complaining about being left out voted to keep the status quo.

BamaBirdLady and Carter like this

25 minutes ago, BamaBirdLady said:

It is not an excuse, it is the facts of their schedule. If you can tell me when they can play their games in that schedule, without changing the entirety of the whole season, please do.

I already did...

38 minutes ago, wartownfalcon said:

I already did...

I think you missed the part about changing the current season, the first Saturday of December whether the 1st of 7th of December is conference championships, the next 2 weeks are exams and  graduation, the following weekend break, then the next is semi-finals.

You are completely disregarding that this kids want a break and want to see their families over the holidays. Kids come from all over the county, say your kid is at Bama and you live in Texas, you have to make travel plans to get your from Tuscaloosa to Dallas and back to Tuscaloosa in a few days as it is now.  

The FCS playoff starts in November, there is no way to compare that bracket to CFP bracket.