slickgadawg

Gus Bradley vs Dan Quinn

25 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Gus helped Carroll build that defense up in Seattle.  Quinn of course sustained it while he was defensive coordinator in Seattle.  This year Bradley has the Chargers ranked 7th overall on defense.   Like Quinn Gus employs the traditional 4-3 alignment.  Where Gus differs than Quinn and most 4-3 coordinators is he uses 3-4 concepts on the defensive line.  In a traditional 4-3 the defensive line plays a 1 gap attacking scheme.  In Gus's scheme on 1st and 2nd down the dline plays a soft 2 gap concept to control the offensive line which allows his linebackers to flow to the play.  On 3rd down is when Gus will attack the quarterback with single gap concepts.  Behind this instead of the cover 3 that Quinn favors, Gus will employ a cover 1 with tight man on the outside.

Quinn uses the base 4-3 concept but uses whats called the 4-3 under scheme He wants his dline and linebackers to play 1 gap. Instead of reading and reacting he wants them in full attack mode. In the 4-3 under the dline is staggered to the weak side creating whats called a 4-3 under defensive tackle.  This leaves the strongside B gap and weakside A gaps uncovered by the defensive line. The weakside A and the strongside B gaps are covered by the will and the mike.  They play closer to the line instead of in your traditional base 4-3. The weakside defensive end who is playing the 5 tech has the freedom to move to either side of the line and put his hand in the ground or stand up, thus your LEO that Beasley plays. Again, this is about ATTACKING the gaps.   

The weakness in the above is the Falcons don't have people who can fight off blocks. They attack and then get caught up in the wash.  This is why you see big plays made against them.  Backs don't make contact with the defense until they reach the 3rd level.  In Bradley's scheme they will contact on the 1st and 2nd levels consistently.  Again, its not that Quinn has a bad scheme. He doesn't have the beasts he had up in Seattle who can fight off blocks and intimidate offenses.  

So there you have the differences in how they scheme. Bradley wants to flow with containment and Quinn wants to sell out and attack the gaps. I favor Gus's scheme ONLY because it more readily adapts to your personnel vs Quinn's scheme which takes special players to make it work....

Image result for gus bradley and anthony lynn

Image result for dan quinn seahawks

Edited by slickgadawg
Flying Falcon likes this

Posted (edited)

10 minutes ago, Cole World said:

Jeffery Simmons would help with that.

Its personnel. You are correct.  Quinn has a good scheme but the flaw is you got to have them monsters to play it...

Related image

In this clip you see Chancellor meet the fullback head on and helped make the play.  The hole opened up but Chancellor fought thru the fullback and helped make the play.

Image result for kam chancellor gif

Edited by slickgadawg

you mean Dan Quinn help build that D right

Michael Bennett Credits Dan Quinn  for bringing him to Seattle

just part of it

January 10, 2017 at 6:28 pm

RENTON – Who knows where Michael Bennett would be playing had it not been for Dan Quinn.

Maybe strictly at defensive end, where he never would have realized his potential to double as an interior pass-rusher.

And maybe in another city.

See, Quinn was a big part of Seattle’s recruiting pitch to Bennett in March of 2013. The two had developed a strong relationship from Bennett’s brief stint with the Seahawks as an undrafted rookie in 2009, when Quinn was the team’s defensive-line coach. They kept in touch when Bennett ended up in Tampa Bay after he was waived early in his rookie season, and even when Quinn left Seattle to become the defensive coordinator at Florida in 2011.

Clayton: Road playoff games haven’t been kind to Seahawks

When Quinn took that same job with the Seahawks two years later, the team was in dire need of pass-rushers. Chris Clemons was coming off a torn ACL, Bruce Irvin was starting to play more strong-side linebacker and Jason Jones was unsigned. So Quinn called Bennett, who had just become a free agent after four seasons in Tampa Bay.

“He was like, ‘Man, come (up) here. We’ve got something good. We just need an inside rusher,’” Bennett said Tuesday, recalling that conversation as Seattle prepares to play Quinn’s Falcons in the divisional round of the playoffs Saturday. “I was like, ‘OK.’ And I just came out here.”

Bennett had other options, but his relationship with Quinn – “one of the guys that gave me the first opportunity” – helped put Seattle over the top.

“He’s a players’ coach,” Bennett said of Quinn, who took the Falcons job before the 2015 season. “He understands the players and he understands how to put people in the right position to be a great player.”

Quinn did that with Red Bryant, a fringe player as a tackle who became a starter and at times a dominant run defender for Seattle as an oversized end. And he did it with Bennett, moving him inside in passing situations after he had mainly played on the outside in Tampa Bay.

“I think when you can do that – Pete (Carroll) does a good job of that – and you can put people in the position where they can be great, they can do great things on the field for you,” Bennett said. “You see young guys, I see guys out there that were kinda OK players and now I see them over there in Atlanta, they’re just out there ballin’. He embodies the hard-nosed type of coach who, he expects a lot but at the same time, he has that relationship with his players where players can come and talk to him.”

Other Seahawks have expressed the same thing about Quinn, who was called DQ by his players and was revered for his coaching style and personality. Bennett used a word that others have about Quinn: relatable.

“A lot of coaches, you can’t have a conversation with them because their whole life is based around football,” Bennett said. “When you have a coach that has a family, has things going on outside of football, you can have a conversation with them. You tend to build trust with him. I think Dan does a great job of building trust with his players.”

Its a similar article with Cliff Avril saying Dan Quinn was the reason he came to the seahawks also... So lets not minimize what quinn is because hwe had a injured and nad season... In 20127 we had a top 10 D and when he took over in 201 we had one of the better Ds in the league.

Thats why i think him being the D-Cord is a great idea... Being more hands on with the D is what he is great at.... Recruiting FA is what he is great at... Rememeber Poe turned down more money to come here... Bruce Irvin turned down more money to come here

you can ask any seahawks true fan and they can tell you how vital quinn was

Lets not go overboard over a down year yo

also another great article

https://www.si.com/2014/08/06/dan-quinn-seattle-seahawks

“He convinced me he would use me to the best of my abilities,” Bennett says a year later, after inking a four-year contract extension. “I trusted that.” 

“He’s not married to a scheme; he wants you to grow,” Bennett says of Quinn. “He changes with the players.”

Says Bennett, “He’s a master in the film room.”

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000464344/article/kj-wright-dan-quinn-is-a-defensive-mastermind

K.J. Wright: Dan Quinn is a 'defensive mastermind'

15 minutes ago, slickgadawg said:

Its personnel. You are correct.  Quinn has a good scheme but the flaw is you got to have them monsters to play it...

Related image

In this clip you see Chancellor meet the fullback head on and helped make the play.  The hole opened up but Chancellor fought thru the fullback and helped make the play.

Dudeeeee.... Keanu Neallll

I'm not getting into who is the better coach but it is interesting historically fans always want coaches to attack, attack, and attack some more and in this case Bradley, who seems to being touted as the better coach, is the more conservative coach playing containment and the fans' hated read and react style. 

Dutty Ole Bird likes this

21 minutes ago, atljbo said:

you mean Dan Quinn help build that D right

Michael Bennett Credits Dan Quinn  for bringing him to Seattle

just part of it

Its a similar article with Cliff Avril saying Dan Quinn was the reason he came to the seahawks also... So lets not minimize what quinn is because hwe had a injured and nad season... In 20127 we had a top 10 D and when he took over in 201 we had one of the better Ds in the league.

Thats why i think him being the D-Cord is a great idea... Being more hands on with the D is what he is great at.... Recruiting FA is what he is great at... Rememeber Poe turned down more money to come here... Bruce Irvin turned down more money to come here

you can ask any seahawks true fan and they can tell you how vital quinn was

Lets not go overboard over a down year yo

Good write up.  We shall see what he does. I know they will play hard for him. I wanna see what types of adjustments he makes during games...

Flying Falcon likes this

Posted (edited)

6 minutes ago, Summerhill said:

I'm not getting into who is the better coach but it is interesting historically fans always want coaches to attack, attack, and attack some more and in this case Bradley, who seems to being touted as the better coach, is the more conservative coach playing containment and the fans' hated read and react style. 

Its a personnel issue.  I love attacking defenses.  You got to have the right players though.  Bowles is like Quinn but with the big difference is how he will attack.  What Bowles will do is overload the gaps to help his players attack. You will see a linebacker AND a safety coming thru the same gap. 46 concept coming out of a 3-4 scheme...

Edited by slickgadawg

chargers wasnt big on blitzing tho..... they just have 2 of the top 10 outside passrushers

I think they attacked lamar more because he is a rook and you want to put more pressure on him...  I also liked how they played Safeties as LBs vs the ravens.. But yea that gameplan was a ravens gameplan

I do think the Chargers blitzed a lil more on 3rd down.... We started to do that at the end of the year when Deion Jones came back

Flying Falcon and slickgadawg like this

Both guys are top notch DCs. That's what made them HC candidates. Just because Bradley didn't pan out in JAX as a HC doesn't make him a bad coach. It's also why I'm excited about DQ back at DC. That's where his greatness lies.

Dan Quinn is a great defensive mind. I am excited to have him taking over the defense. We will see improvement in our defense.

I am more concerned with the offensive coordinator and DQ’s in game management. This team is built to play ahead and we need to return to being a top offense.

ShadyRef likes this

4 hours ago, atljbo said:

also another great article

https://www.si.com/2014/08/06/dan-quinn-seattle-seahawks

“He convinced me he would use me to the best of my abilities,” Bennett says a year later, after inking a four-year contract extension. “I trusted that.” 

“He’s not married to a scheme; he wants you to grow,” Bennett says of Quinn. “He changes with the players.”

Says Bennett, “He’s a master in the film room.”

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000464344/article/kj-wright-dan-quinn-is-a-defensive-mastermind

K.J. Wright: Dan Quinn is a 'defensive mastermind'

If he was master in film room

1) Fluke Riley wouldnt be a Falcon

2) Wouldn't have benched Senat (much needed in run stops) & used an extra passer without getting any sacks.

3) would rectify his clock management miscues.

4) should have had contingency plan for oline.

5) should have NEVER hired Sark for this high octane offense.  

6) should have FIRED Keith Armstrong and used Russell Gage and Marvin Hall in kick returns over Hardy. Weve been dead last in Special Teams in past 2 years. 

Flying Falcon likes this

4 hours ago, slickgadawg said:

Related image

Yea and Bs is our monster lol

The communication between Marquand Manuel and his players was broken. With DQ taking on responsibilities, I truly believe we will not see many players out of position like we did with MM.

ShadyRef likes this

15 hours ago, vel said:

Both guys are top notch DCs. That's what made them HC candidates. Just because Bradley didn't pan out in JAX as a HC doesn't make him a bad coach. It's also why I'm excited about DQ back at DC. That's where his greatness lies.

Thank you for pointing this out vel. That's why I stated I won't be worried about that side of the ball at all next season. He has shown me enough in Seattle when he took Gus defense from very good to very great. He took the playcalling duties and title away from the previous guy in 2016 and transformed a middling defense starting 5 rookies (I think) to playing top 10 by seasons end and through out playoffs.

Some are criticizing him for the defense giving up points in the second half during that year but I just thought it was because of lack of pass rush, rookies learning to handle success and growth in the scheme. If coach Quinn can get pass rush out of the dline with the matured players he has acquired and groomed, we will definitely be in the top 5 next year.

Welcome back Quinn. He is finally done helping his friends. He is now in the 'if you want something done right, you got to do it yourself' mode. 

vel likes this

I wasn’t aware that Bradley had a better stint as a head coach than Dan Quinn. I must’ve missed his trip to the Super Bowl.

JDaveG likes this

14 hours ago, JDaveG said:

Quinn also uses 3-4 concepts for the front 7. 

Yeah I was going to say, on most plays at least 2 members of our DLine are playing 2 gaps. 

JDaveG likes this

13 hours ago, mattyicefalcon said:

If he was master in film room

1) Fluke Riley wouldnt be a Falcon

2) Wouldn't have benched Senat (much needed in run stops) & used an extra passer without getting any sacks.

3) would rectify his clock management miscues.

4) should have had contingency plan for oline.

5) should have NEVER hired Sark for this high octane offense.  

6) should have FIRED Keith Armstrong and used Russell Gage and Marvin Hall in kick returns over Hardy. Weve been dead last in Special Teams in past 2 years. 

Thank You!!!!!