Will Grier (QB West Virginia)

Yeah yeah, miss me with the "we don't need a QB" responses. Schaub is 74 and we need to take getting Ryan a backup seriously for once.

Most of the places I've seen have Grier going in the 2nd through 4th rounds. If he's there in the 4th, I think he'd be a phenomenal selection for us. Yeah, he doesn't have the strongest arm, and his mechanics are iffy at best. But he has all the intangibles, solid mobility, impressive touch, and he's a serious playmaker. Perfect fit for the WCO. If he was taller, I think he'd be a first round lock.

Imagine this guy sitting behind Ryan and learning, improving his throwing motion and speed, studying film, etc. What does TATF think?

Also a bit interested in Brett Rypien (projected in the 6th) but I think the drop off is pretty big.

6 hours ago, Smiler11 said:

I love Will Grier as a prospect. I've always thought he'd end up a first round pick but if he's there in the middle rounds I'd have no problems taking him.

There's an off chance he might, especially if he lights up the Senior Bowl, but it feels like a lot of people see "shorter dude with average arm" and his slow throwing mechanics, then pencil him as a backup or bust.

Meanwhile, I have a pretty hard time ignoring all the other extremely positive traits, especially since it isn't like WV's QB coach is renowned, and improved mechanics could make his arm look a lot stronger. 

20 minutes ago, A-TowN.- said:

I really like Grier as a prospect. You laid out his issues, but he has good upside. I wouldn’t be upset if we spent a middle round pick on him. 

What's the highest you'd go on him? I definitely think he'd struggle if he started right away, but we're as good a fit as he could find imho.

1 hour ago, Francis York Morgan said:

There's an off chance he might, especially if he lights up the Senior Bowl, but it feels like a lot of people see "shorter dude with average arm" and his slow throwing mechanics, then pencil him as a backup or bust.

Meanwhile, I have a pretty hard time ignoring all the other extremely positive traits, especially since it isn't like WV's QB coach is renowned, and improved mechanics could make his arm look a lot stronger. 

What's the highest you'd go on him? I definitely think he'd struggle if he started right away, but we're as good a fit as he could find imho.

I have a feeling he will scooped up around the 3rd. But if he’s there with our original 4th, I would be very tempted. That extra comp pick in the 4th and 5th are giving us extra picks to go BPA after address OL and DL. 

2 hours ago, Francis York Morgan said:

The arm strength isn't a problem for me. I think he's got a good enough arm to make every throw required in the NFL. His mechanics can be iffy at times and I imagine whoever drafts him will tidy some of that up, but mechanics is kind of a buzz word thrown around by scouts. As long as he puts the ball on the money then coaches won't really care all that much about his mechanics.

His ball placement, touch, anticipation & poise under pressure are as good as any QB in this class. 

I like him and think he could have a career like Kirk Cousins. However, I'm of the opinion that when you have a franchise QB, especially one into his 30s, you're all-in trying to win the Super Bowl with him so all picks need to be players who can help you win with your franchise QB. Don't use picks for players who will be on the bench. Draft a QB when Ryan's arm falls off, the Falcons go 4-12, and Quinn gets fired. 

50 minutes ago, Summerhill said:

I like him and think he could have a career like Kirk Cousins. However, I'm of the opinion that when you have a franchise QB, especially one into his 30s, you're all-in trying to win the Super Bowl with him so all picks need to be players who can help you win with your franchise QB. Don't use picks for players who will be on the bench. Draft a QB when Ryan's arm falls off, the Falcons go 4-12, and Quinn gets fired. 

That kinda puts the drafted guy in an awful position though...and if Ryan, God forbid, is hurt, that means our season is in dire straits. Best case scenario with drafting a talented QB in the 3rd or 4th like Grief is, if not a successor, a guy who can net high picks in a trade, as well as step in and excel if Ryan goes down. If we put our first two or three picks and FA money in the trenches, I think it'd be a great move for us.