Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
FalconsAirMiles

Falcons projected to get 2 mid round compensatory picks

26 posts in this topic

4th and 5th isn’t bad stall. Can do a lot with them. Just unfortunate that we get good compensatory picks in a fairly weak class.

Just now, Atlantafan21 said:

That’s what I thought too, but apparently it was made possible since the 2017 draft. 

Oh wow sweet!

Ergo Proxy likes this

I want Quinnen but I know TD would have to trade the farm for him. But maybe move up to 10 and get Ed Oliver if he's there.

This is what I've expected since both signed last offseason. 

I'd say we stay put at 1, 2, and 3, but use a combo of the four picks we have in the 4th/5th rounds to make a move up into the third for another top 100 player. 

I could see us easily spending roughly $25-30MM on the DL in FA, going OT/OG with the first two picks, then BPA in with the two thirds in that scenario. 

Or just stay put and add 7 players through the first 5 rounds. Guys like Tim Settle, Genard Avery, and Maurice Hurst went in the 5th in 2018. I'd prefer the second route, but I see us going the first route.

Posted (edited)

2 minutes ago, vel said:

This is what I've expected since both signed last offseason. 

I'd say we stay put at 1, 2, and 3, but use a combo of the four picks we have in the 4th/5th rounds to make a move up into the third for another top 100 player. 

I could see us easily spending roughly $25-30MM on the DL in FA, going OT/OG with the first two picks, then BPA in with the two thirds in that scenario. 

Or just stay put and add 7 players through the first 5 rounds. Guys like Tim Settle, Genard Avery, and Maurice Hurst went in the 5th in 2018. I'd prefer the second route, but I see us going the first route.

Offer some of those mid-round picks/late round picks for veterans maybe. Didn't we get Levitre for a 5th or a 6th one year?

Edited by Geneaut
Atl Falcon likes this

I previously projected 2 comp picks: a 4th and a 5th for the Falcons in the 2019 draft last March as follows:

With the Falcons already losing Poe ($9 Million average per year), Gabriel ($6.5 million per year), and Clayborn ($6 million per year), I'm beginning to see some discussion about the Falcons possible compensatory draft picks for the 2019 NFL draft.  I'm somewhat reluctant to discuss comp picks at this juncture, because the free agency period has just started, and a lot can change before the free agency period for determining comp picks ends. However, I do think that I should make some preliminary comments at this point to help straighten things out somewhat.

If the free agency period were to end right now, the Falcons would get 2 Comp picks, because they have a Net Loss of 2 Compensable Unrestricted Free Agents (CUFA). Atlanta has already lost the aforementioned Poe, Gabriel, and Clayborn, but they have signed CUFA Brandon Fusco ($4.25 million per year) for a Net Loss of two. At this point, Fusco would cancel-out Clayborn, the lowest paid Free Agent lost thus far.

That would leave Poe and Gabriel for determining comp picks and the respective rounds. Poe and his $9 million average compensation could possibly garner a 3rd-round pick. In the 2017 NFL draft, there were 11 3rd-round comp picks granted, including Alex Mack and LT Kelvin Beachum with average yearly compensation of $9 million each for Cleveland and Pittsburg respectively. Bruce Irvin and his $9.25 million yearly average garnered a 3rd-round pick for Seattle. The first Comp pick in the 4th round of the 2017 draft was awarded to Cincinnati for losing Marvin Jones and his $8 million per year average contract. So yes, I think Poe will more than likely get the Falcons a 3rd-round pick, unless the increased salary-cap for 2018 drastically changes the previous year's thresholds.

(Subsequent Edit:  However in analyzing the 2018 NFL draft comp picks, I've found that TJ Lang and his $9.5 million average yearly comp only got Green Bay a 4th-round comp pick in this year's draft. Lang played in 13 games in 2017, and once again made the Pro-Bowl. This might be indicative that the average salary threshold for a 3rd round comp pick might be getting greater due to the increasing salary-cap and salaries. If so, losing Poe might only get Atlanta a 4th-round comp pick, rather than a 3rd-round pick, in the 2019 draft. )

Gabriel would most likely garner the Falcons a 5th-round comp pick. An average yearly comp of $6.5 million is on the threshold between a 4th round and a 5th round comp pick for the 2018 draft."

It seems in the past the Falcons make a lot of trades when they have comp picks. I expect them to be very aggressive this draft. I don't agree with trading up typically but I see it happening. They're not afraid to go get who they want and I believe they look for players who can make an instant impact. 

3 minutes ago, Geneaut said:

Offer some of those mid-round picks/late round picks for veterans maybe. Didn't we get Levitre for a 5th or a 6th one year?

Yea. Who knows. We finally have some this year to chase a Michael Bennett type player when one comes available. 

kiwifalcon, raysnill1 and Geneaut like this

1 minute ago, Falcons_Frenzy said:

It seems in the past the Falcons make a lot of trades when they have comp picks. I expect them to be very aggressive this draft. I don't agree with trading up typically but I see it happening. They're not afraid to go get who they want and I believe they look for players who can make an instant impact. 

It's very feasible. If they can sign one OL and spend the rest on the DL, they will be in a position to fix the trenches. It really comes down to that happening in FA. 

41 minutes ago, vel said:

Yea. Who knows. We finally have some this year to chase a Michael Bennett type player when one comes available. 

Exactly. You seem to always hear some decent vet is on the chopping block and can be had for peanuts.

Ergo Proxy and egoprime II like this

5 hours ago, benxiong said:

Can’t trade comp pick :)

I believe that rule has been changed.  Now teams can, in fact, trade their comp picks.

Makes sense, when you think about it.

6 hours ago, SpongeDad said:

I want Quinnen but I know TD would have to trade the farm for him. But maybe move up to 10 and get Ed Oliver if he's there.

Did Neil get #metoo 'ed ?  

4 hours ago, theProf said:

I previously projected 2 comp picks: a 4th and a 5th for the Falcons in the 2019 draft last March as follows:

I definitely trust you more than them.

4 hours ago, delaigle said:

could someone please post a list of Falcon free agents

I haven't been able to find one

Andy Levitre G 33 ATL TBD $7,800,000 UFA 0-
SchaubMatt Schaub QB 38 ATL TBD $4,500,000 UFA 0-
GarlandBen Garland G 31 ATL TBD $2,914,000 UFA 0-
ShelbyDerrick Shelby DE 30 ATL TBD $2,000,000 UFA 0-
BethelJustin Bethel CB 29 ATL TBD $1,750,000 UFA 0-
McClainTerrell McClain DT 31 ATL TBD $1,525,000 UFA 0-
IrvinBruce Irvin DE 32 ATL TBD $1,500,000 UFA 0-
CondoJon Condo LS 38 ATL TBD $1,015,000 UFA 0-
PaulsenLogan Paulsen TE 32 ATL TBD $1,005,000 UFA 0-
IshmaelKemal Ishmael SS 28 ATL TBD $1,000,000 UFA 0-
SambrailoTy Sambrailo LT 27 ATL TBD $961,489 UFA 0-
RichardsJordan Richards SS 26 ATL TBD $927,887 UFA 0-
CarterBruce Carter ILB 31 ATL TBD $915,000 UFA 0-
BeadlesZane Beadles G 32 ATL TBD $915,000 UFA 0-
Wreh-WilsonBlidi Wreh-Wilson CB 29 ATL TBD $880,000 UFA 0-
ColemanTevin Coleman RB 26 ATL TBD $804,843 UFA Market Value
MeansSteven Means DE 29 ATL TBD $790,000 UFA 0-
HardyJustin Hardy WR 27 ATL TBD $705,205 UFA 0-
JarrettGrady Jarrett DT 26 ATL TBD $631,963 UFA Market Value
PooleBrian Poole S 26 ATL TBD $541,167 RFA 0-
HallMarvin Hall WR 26 ATL TBD $510,000

ERFA

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/atlanta-falcons/

delaigle likes this

11 hours ago, ATLFalcon36 said:

Good now we can use draft capital to trade up to spots we could have had for free after meaningless wins.

They will need to trade-up for two 1st round picks.

11 hours ago, vel said:

I'm hoping that TB release McCoy, in all honesty he's really the only FA I'm interested in. I just really like his game and his attitude

The Great American likes this