Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
falcons007

Most improved player in 2018.

34 posts in this topic

I have been very vocal about Austin Hooper on his performance in 2017. One of the biggest problem for Hooper were drops in 2017 which resulted in 3 interceptions costing a game or two. 

Here is the comparison between 2017 and 2018 for Hoopers. 

Drop Rate 2017: 10.9% 4th worst in NFL. This was big problem in 2017.

Drop rate 2018: Only 2.7%, second best in NFL behind Kyle Rudolph who had lesser targets than Hooper. 

Slot Performance in 2017:  catch rate 72%, 17th in NFL.

Slot Performance in 2018: Catch Rate 86.6%. 3rd in NFL. Hooper was clutch when Ryan needed some one in slot matched up against LB. 

Penalties: 

2017: 6 penalties, 5th worst in NFL.

2018: 3 penalties, 3rd best in NFL. 

QB rating when throwing to Hooper: 

2017: 98.8, good for 12th in NFL

2018: 108.8, good for 3rd in NFL. 

Hooper improved in most categories including Yards/route run ( from 15 in 2007 to 7th in 2018).  Total yards from 15th to 7th. TD from 19th to 9th. 

There are couple of areas Hooper needs to work on, YAC and more contribution in middle deep passing game.

Stats from PFF with minimum 50+ targets.

He no doubt had a very good year. It will be exciting to see if they can get an OC that can maximize both his abilities and expand on what Ridley can do. Had he not had the slippery fingers down the stretch there is no doubt he reaches 1000 yards and a few more TDs.

I really like how Hooper's game has progressed. People always forget that he had a clutch TD catch on 3rd down during the Superbowl to put us up 14-0. One thing I wish this offense would do more of is attack the seams with Hooper. He is very good at using his big body to get position on the players defending him. I feel like it would give us another way for us to attack teams.

Pacific_Falcon and falcons007 like this

30 minutes ago, falcons007 said:

Kazee is raw play maker. He had lot to improve outside interceptions. That is true for most of the defense too.

Yeah, I feel like Kazee will take his play to another level once he gets guys like Rico and Keanu back. It will be great to see how Quinn will mix and match these players. I really like it will be a great way to confuse offenses because they can really change up coverage responsibilities because all of those guys are interchangeable. I am pretty sure we switched up coverage responsibilities on Alford's pick 6 in the Super Bowl.

falcons007 likes this

Hooper was one of the obvious candidates. Definitely improved a ton as stats and other metrics show.  

Kazee is about the only other guy worth a mention. His tackling became more sure as the season went and he definitely broke out this year. 

How about Matt Ryan? Barely 4k and 20 TDs last year to MVP numbers this year. Just a thought. 

falcons007 likes this

Hooper is our TE of the future and could end up being really really good. I wish other players on our roster would develop as well.

falcons007 likes this

Hooper improved quite a bit. He is a great lunch pail TE...a bit of Heath Miller game in him.

Kazee did as well, he played similar style to 2017 but with more snaps. He is a ballhawk, but still needs some work. I think he will be a great NB for us next season if Allen is back to 100%.

Another who improved is Jake Matthews who played very well despite the rest of the line struggling.

30 minutes ago, Jpg428gggg said:

I really like how Hooper's game has progressed. People always forget that he had a clutch TD catch on 3rd down during the Superbowl to put us up 14-0. One thing I wish this offense would do more of is attack the seams with Hooper. He is very good at using his big body to get position on the players defending him. I feel like it would give us another way for us to attack teams.

I do remember and had high hopes for him in 2017. I am not sure if it was Sark thing, but Falcons should attack more in 2-3 TE sets down the seams. He still has to learn how to use his body, it was lot better in 2018 but can be improved.

18 minutes ago, Stryka said:

Hooper was one of the obvious candidates. Definitely improved a ton as stats and other metrics show.  

Kazee is about the only other guy worth a mention. His tackling became more sure as the season went and he definitely broke out this year. 

How about Matt Ryan? Barely 4k and 20 TDs last year to MVP numbers this year. Just a thought. 

I did consider Kazee. I didn’t even think of Ryan coz it’s like automatic at this point. He is expected to perform at high level.

4 hours ago, osiruz said:

Yes hooper improved, but he needs to improve his blocking as well. 

You(along with a ton of other people) do realize not every good TE can block. Gronk may be the best blocking TE in the game. Gonzo couldn't block to save his life but it was forgivin because he was Gonzo. Shannon Sharpe will tell you he wasn't going to do no blocking because that wasn't who he was

falcons007 likes this

Hooper would be an amazing number 2 to a guy like Gonzo. (I know, who wouldn't.) But he's good in one on one match ups with linebackers and gets good leverage so to scheme him open as the number 1 target would be easy with a great TE 1. But love him all the same

falcons007 likes this

Posted (edited)

Most improved Hooper.

Kazee was simply a break out player.

Kazee made more mistakes as a first year starter than Hooper. He might make leap next year if he were the starter but let’s see how he performs in the role given.

On the subject of most improved between years, Hooper improved on previous body of work. Kazee first time starter and made a very good mark with weaknesses to his game being glaring at times.

PS: I’d say Ryan bounced back in numbers but a good portion was due to players like Hooper putting in work and other WRs doing better.

Edited by Ergo Proxy
Hooper deleted from first sentence
falcons007 and ya_boi_j like this

1 hour ago, FalconKick said:

Hooper would be an amazing number 2 to a guy like Gonzo. (I know, who wouldn't.) But he's good in one on one match ups with linebackers and gets good leverage so to scheme him open as the number 1 target would be easy with a great TE 1. But love him all the same

I don’t think falcons need a number 1 guy like Tony G. Grab another Hooper, double headed pass catching TE. 

FalconKick, Ergo Proxy and Vandy like this

3 minutes ago, falcons007 said:

I don’t think falcons need a number 1 guy like Tony G. Grab another Hooper, double headed pass catching TE. 

What we need more than pass catching is a blocking tight end. We actually missed Toilolo this year. 

falcons007 likes this

2 hours ago, Dr Long Shot said:

What we need more than pass catching is a blocking tight end. We actually missed Toilolo this year. 

That was Paulson. With the crappy OL Toilolo probably  wouldnt have made much difference.