D.B.N.

Matt Ryan’s Replacement

140 posts in this topic

11 minutes ago, Sidecar Falcon said:

Love Tua, but he won’t be available until the 2020 Draft. I doubt he goes top 5, more than likely top 15. Wouldn’t mind pulling the trigger on him if he’s the BPA by a wide margin. Two other QBs I like are KJ Costello and Jordan Love. They could be 3rd rounders. 

Tua won’t last more than a season in NFL. Heck I would be surprised if he lasts in college till 2020 draft.

13 minutes ago, Sidecar Falcon said:

Love Tua, but he won’t be available until the 2020 Draft. I doubt he goes top 5, more than likely top 15. Wouldn’t mind pulling the trigger on him if he’s the BPA by a wide margin. Two other QBs I like are KJ Costello and Jordan Love. They could be 3rd rounders. 

Watched Costello in the Sun Bowl. Was not impressed by him at all, don't think he would even be a good backup.

Flying Falcon likes this

Posted (edited)

Aaron Rodgers was drafted in Brett Favre's 13th year.  Next year will be Ryan's 11th year. Jacob Eason or Trevor Lawrence will be available right about the time the Falcons should draft a quarterback.  I'm not sold on Tua just yet and I don't think Fromm is as good as Aaron Murray who couldn't stay in the NFL...

Edited by slickgadawg
Flying Falcon likes this

2 minutes ago, Run 'n' Shoot said:

No point in spending a high draft pick on a guy just to lose him when his rookie contract expires. MR has at least 5 years left in him and I've been hit harder in pillow fights than most QBs are hit these days.

tenor.gif

3 minutes ago, slickgadawg said:

Aaron Rodgers was drafted in Brett Favre's 13th year.  Next year will be Ryan's 11th year. Jacob Eason or Trevor Lawrence will be available right about the time the Falcons should draft a quarterback.  I'm not sold on Tua just yet and I don't think Fromm is as good as Aaron Murray who couldn't stay in the NFL...

14th unless you're not counting Atlanta.

1 hour ago, Drunken Minotaur Zebra said:

Ryan is 33 and Brady is still playing at what, 41? Manning hung it up at 41 or 42? Favre? 

Ryan is less injury prone and healthier than any of those guys overall

So we should drop a top 10 pick on a QB to replace Matty Ice in... 7 years? GENIUS! 

:lol::lol:

Yes sir you get some one in here as soon as possible....about the only thing that appreciates with time is real estate..**** the Pats drafted Brady's replacement but the owner and the billichek were at odds about shipping Brady off.

slickgadawg likes this

We talking trash about getting rid of Ryan again?  What we need is a healthy team around him.  That is all we need.  A healthy, hungry, talented team around him.  Also some intelligent, smart coaching. 

Posted (edited)

22 hours ago, R_The_Great said:

We could just replace Matt Ryan with a proven winner in Nick Foles.  Just because Foles wasn't a media draft day darling, doesn't mean he can't win.  He can win and will win.  Matt Ryan doesnt have the will to win

It’s not that you’re dumb.  It’s just that most of the **** you say sure is stupid

tenor.gif

Edited by Falconsin2012
Drew4719, Vandy and JDaveG like this

The myth of the heir apparent. How often does that work out? Steve Young, Aaron Rodgers are exceptions to the rule. It’s like a once a decade phenomena where the back up takes over and becomes the next elite QB. 

By all means, get the best back up you can, but the idea that Matt Ryan’s replacement is out there for the taking is laughable. 

Sounds like a lot people wanted to put Joe Flacco back in after his heir apparent today. 

One of the dumbest ongoing narratives in football.  

6 minutes ago, slickgadawg said:

Harbaugh announced that Flacco is getting traded after the game today...

Harbaugh probably getting traded too

12 minutes ago, Falconsin2012 said:

Harbaugh probably getting traded too

:lol:

3 hours ago, D.B.N. said:

We need to seriosuly look into drafting Ryan’s replacement in the next few years. Trevor Lawrence, Jake Fromm, Tua are all options. Ryan is not getting any youger. The writing is on the wall

That's 5 years away. His replacement is in high school now

1 hour ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

Would rather try to find a vet that can replace Schaub at a lower cap hit. Someone that would stand a chance against these playoff defenses I watched this weekend. Schaub would get murdered. Trust me.

So would Ryan both have about the same measure of mobility....

53 minutes ago, paulitik said:

The myth of the heir apparent. How often does that work out? Steve Young, Aaron Rodgers are exceptions to the rule. It’s like a once a decade phenomena where the back up takes over and becomes the next elite QB. 

By all means, get the best back up you can, but the idea that Matt Ryan’s replacement is out there for the taking is laughable. 

Sounds like a lot people wanted to put Joe Flacco back in after his heir apparent today. 

One of the dumbest ongoing narratives in football.  

Dude. The Ghost of Paulitk. Back from the dead.  You’re nicer than me these days. I’m a straight up A hole. I’ve missed you old friend.  That’s the truth. You were right to stay away though. For all intents and purposes... I have too. Doing Braves and college football these days. Soms Hawks but dam...I’ve missed you brother. You’re my brother. That’s the truth. 

2 hours ago, 81KJW said:

the Falcons  will wait to  Matt Ryan  doesn't have any left  in the tank and then panic

Even if they did that which is actually possible for it to happen to us and most teams actually.  Then you are still looking at the age of say 38 to 41 if he even loses at that age.  But lets say he falls off a cliff at 39 which by most cases lately shouldn't happen.  But still he loses it all at 39 and we need a new QB asap.   Thats from right now around 5 to 6 years.  Unless you take a QB in the 1st round you are not getting a 5 year contact from a rookie draft pick.   That means by the time he is finished at 39 or so the QB you drafted will be gone a year or 2 earlier to another team and you just wasted a very high draft pick on a player that won't ever see the field for you for almost 4 to 5 years.  Instead of possibly drafting a 2nd to 3rd round highly talented O-lineman, D-Lineman, DB, or LB that could be your corner stone at one of those positions for the next 10 to 15 years because they would actually be playing every game unlike the backup QB who shouldn't and wouldn't see a single snap in a real game outside of a crazy injury.    The smart thing to do is wait til about 2 years or so from your starting QB's last contract you expect him to do for your team which for ryan will probably be 38 to 42 then draft him and let him set for a year or 2 learning the offense from your vet QB so he can take over and not be off his rookie contract for another few years for cheap. 

3 hours ago, Falconsin2012 said:

It’s not that you’re dumb.  You are clearly not.  But most of the **** you say sure is stupid

tenor.gif

Your going to discredit the job Foles has done for the Eagles the past 2 years?  I can promise you, Matt Ryan couldn't make those same plays for the Eagles.  Foles has no fear out there and is willing to take on the challenge

4 hours ago, EJmusic said:

14th unless you're not counting Atlanta.

Aaron Rodgers was drafted in 2005. Brett Favre's last year was 2010. That's 6 years. Also, Rodgers was drafted because starting with about 2001 every year was a question of if Favre would retire or not. Packers had to do something, they couldn't continue to play Russian roulette with worrying if Favre would retire and leave them without a successor. Also, the Packers got lucky that in the 2005 draft the 49ers picked Alex Smith #1 and not Rodgers and that many teams passed on Rodgers and he fell all the way into the 20s or they would have never gotten him. Ryan has already said he wants to play into his 40s. It's not even remotely the same situation. Any talk of a Ryan replacement/successor within the next 4 years is stupid.

Vandy, Flying Falcon and Drew4719 like this