gazoo

Falcons look awesome at TE next year! Pro Bowl Hooper and emerging Saubert

89 posts in this topic

Austin Hooper has been named a Pro Bowl Alternate in his 3rd season. Coaches and Ryan say Hooper can still get a LOT better. 

In 2016, Hooper was drafted Stanford in round 3

In 2017 Saubert was drafted out of Drake round 5.

Hooper: 6’3”, 254lbs, 4.72 40 yard dash, 33” vertical, 33.75” arms, 10.58” hands

Saubert: 6’5”, 253lbs, 4.65 40 yard dash, 35” vertical, 33.5” arms, 10.38” hands

Hooper increased production each year, including from last year to this year:

Last year: 18 1st downs, 49 catches, 75% catch %,3 TDs

This year: 30 1st downs, 71 catches,  80% catch %, 526 receiving yards,  4 TDS 

Point is, it takes these TEs a really long time to understand all their reposnsibilities and fundamentals in run and passing game, especially if they come from a small school like Drake.

i think 2019 is when we see the tandem  of Hooper and Saubert become a force. Don’t g

forget Saubert was #2 in the nation in receiving yards and TDs for all TEs his last year in college. Hooper will still be our #1 TE , but we will start seeing the Uber talented and athletic Saubert on the field with him a lot more next year. I saw the light start turning on for Saubert late this season. He was laying some grea blocks to spring our running backs and looked really fluid in the passing game. Him and Hooper are very similar physically, but Saubert is more fluid that Hooper. 

10 minutes ago, Jesus said:

Maybe they want a TE coach who can teach Saubert to play.

Saubert had 178 snaps on offense and 292 more snaps on STs this year. The 178 snaps on offense were good for just under 17% of our total offensive snaps.

Did you not watch any of the games? 

Saubert also was turning heads in training camp, drawing praise from DQ, Dave Archer and many fans here who were posting from practice.

Point being, he is an emerging player and I’ve been watching him very closely on those 178 offensive snaps. 

6 minutes ago, Atl Falcon said:

I like Saubert a lot.... he’s very athletic. I agree with OP next year could be his break out yr

Many here don’t understand the typical development cycle of a raw TE coming out of a school like Drake. 

He played in a spread offense flexed out and wasn’t asked to block a lot. He had a lot of leaning to do in the running game and blocking technique but I arched him very closely as the season progressed and it started clicking for him. He was doing a great job of blocking and springing our running backs for more yards.

He was #2 in all college football in receiving yards and TDs coming out of school and I think it will all start to come together for him next year. Physically he’s a close of Hooper, although Saubert is taller and faster, but this should be fun to watch these two for years to come.

Atl Falcon likes this

4 minutes ago, gazoo said:

Many here don’t understand the typical development cycle of a raw TE coming out of a school like Drake. 

He played in a spread offense flexed out and wasn’t asked to block a lot. He had a lot of leaning to do in the running game and blocking technique but I arched him very closely as the season progressed and it started clicking for him. He was doing a great job of blocking and springing our running backs for more yards.

He was #2 in all college football in receiving yards and TDs coming out of school and I think it will all start to come together for him next year. Physically he’s a close of Hooper, although Saubert is taller and faster, but this should be fun to watch these two for years to come.

Agree- I think Saubert actually has better physical attributes than Hoop

Da_Truth and gazoo like this

Dag, taking a stronger stance with Saubert than you did with JA98...hope he proves you right gaz, I don’t see it personally. Looks too soft to bang in the routes TEs commonly have to run, and not athletic enough to go out wide to use his frame against the more athletic players.

Vandy, Yo_Lover and Drew4719 like this

35 minutes ago, Wjcorner said:

Dag, taking a stronger stance with Saubert than you did with JA98...hope he proves you right gaz, I don’t see it personally. Looks too soft to bang in the routes TEs commonly have to run, and not athletic enough to go out wide to use his frame against the more athletic players.

Many here insisted Saubert would be a training camp cut and that Perkins was going to be retained. 

Nope.

Not only did Saubert impress during training camp drawing rave reviews from members here on board who attended some, but also from Dave Archer, Dan Quinn and Dave Choate.  

Then we saw him get 187 snaps on offense primarily to get his blocking game down and run a few routes. 

Saubert is more athletic, faster, taller and more fluid than our Pro Bowl Hooper.  Doesn’t mean Saubert will be a better TE nor am I suggesting that will be the case. Otherwise they are very similar physically.

I think you need to get used to seeing these guys on the field a lot over the next several years. Hooper our #1 and Saubert most likely moving to #2 next year unless injury slows his development. He needs all. OTAs, mini camps, training camp and preseason to keep working on his game as he still has a long way to go.

1 hour ago, gazoo said:

Saubert had 178 snaps on offense and 292 more snaps on STs this year. The 178 snaps on offense were good for just under 17% of our total offensive snaps.

Did you not watch any of the games? 

Saubert also was turning heads in training camp, drawing praise from DQ, Dave Archer and many fans here who were posting from practice.

Point being, he is an emerging player and I’ve been watching him very closely on those 178 offensive snaps. 

Not sure how this helps your case.

Vandy likes this

1 hour ago, Atl Falcon said:

I like Saubert a lot.... he’s very athletic. I agree with OP next year could be his break out yr

This year was supposed to be his breakout :rolleyes:

I think Hooper has been ‘OK’...but I actually think 2019 becomes make/break for him with regard to whether the Falcons sign him long term. For me, jury is still out.

Saubert is treading water...but after a lot of buzz thru September, he really didn’t do much.

Ultimately, if DQ was pleased with TE progress, wouldn’t he have kept the coach.

15 minutes ago, Ergo Proxy said:

If MM came in not as an OC and could help Hooper & Saubert? Do it.

Having 2 functional TEs just helped Philly do 'enough' vs the Bears in CHI.

From a strategic, game planning perspective, having two TEs who can block and catch is a huge plus. 

Hooper is our #1 Pro Bowl starter, so that’s set. He may be good for 90 receptions, 800 yards, 40 1st downs and 6 TDs.  All we need is a complentary piece to Hoopers production, where a defense has to stay honest or pay. Saubert still has to work on run game blocking but in passing game only needs to get 250 yards, a couple TDs and 20 1st downs to be very productive alongside Hooper.

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, gazoo said:

Austin Hooper has been named a Pro Bowl Alternate in his 3rd season. Coaches and Ryan say Hooper can still get a LOT better. 

Hooper: 6’3”, 254lbs, 4.72 40 yard dash, 33” vertical, 33.75” arms, 10.58” hands

Saubert: 6’5”, 253lbs, 4.65 40 yard dash, 35” vertical, 33.5” arms, 10.38” hands

Point is, it takes these TEs a really long time to understand all their reposnsibilities and fundamentals in run and passing game, especially if they come from a small school like Drake.

i think 2019 is when we see the tandem  of Hooper and Saubert become a force. Don’t g

forget Saubert was #2 in the nation in receiving yards and TDs for all TEs his last year in college. Hooper will still be our #1 TE , but we will start seeing the Uber talented and athletic Saubert on the field with him a lot more next year. I saw the light start turning on for Saubert late this season. He was laying some grea blocks to spring our running backs and looked really fluid in the passing game. Him and Hooper are very similar physically, but Saubert is more fluid that Hooper. 

I like Hooper.  Great pick by TD. But I’ll tell you what, our line, specifically Schraeder, miss Toilolo a lot.  No reason we didn’t keep that man. He is so good sealing the edge on wide zone and great on passing downs.  We get too caught up in the catches and overlook the importance of TE blocking

Edited by Falconsin2012

10 minutes ago, TheDirtyWordII said:

I think Hooper has been ‘OK’...but I actually think 2019 becomes make/break for him with regard to whether the Falcons sign him long term. For me, jury is still out.

Saubert is treading water...but after a lot of buzz thru September, he really didn’t do much.

Ultimately, if DQ was pleased with TE progress, wouldn’t he have kept the coach.

Our TE’s are great pass catchers but sorry run/pass blockers.  That’s why he was fired

gazoo likes this

1 hour ago, gazoo said:

Hooper is a diamond in the ruff.. I'd love for Ryan to be able to pair Hooper with Tony G this offseason.. Idk how much it would cost but I'd be willing to start a gofundme account just for this.. Hooper has the ability, he just needs a good mentor. 

Falconsin2012 likes this

22 minutes ago, TheDirtyWordII said:

You are saying coaches believe Hooper can’t play, so they fired Harmon? That is nonsensical. 

What exactly do you expect from a 2 year, bottom of 5th round draft pick TE out of a small,school like Drake in his second season?

i look for progress, I  watch his snaps to see if he is putting himself in the right position to make his blocks and how good he is once engaging the defender. I look to see if he knows what he is doing out there or looks lost.

Some of you guys expectations seem to be if he didn’t have a 1000 yard receiving season with 10 TDs he hasn’t done anything. 

Im looking for progress, and I’m seeing it. I also see a lot of upside for. TE who was #2 in the nation in receiving yards and TDs.  Blocking is coming along nicely, but he has to get that down before he can play more snaps.

The Falcons didn’t play Saubert 187 snaps on offense for nothing. Many here were insisting Josh Perkins was going to stick and Saubert get cut, and Perkins only had 74 snaps on offense previous year.  

Cheyakita and ⚡Slumerican⚡ like this

12 minutes ago, gazoo said:

From a strategic, game planning perspective, having two TEs who can block and catch is a huge plus. 

Hooper is our #1 Pro Bowl starter, so that’s set. He may be good for 90 receptions, 800 yards, 40 1st downs and 6 TDs.  All we need is a complentary piece to Hoopers production, where a defense has to stay honest or pay. Saubert still has to work on run game blocking but in passing game only needs to get 250 yards, a couple TDs and 20 1st downs to be very productive alongside Hooper.

If Hooper can get more consistent with his hands he could be the best TE in the league next year.. That's why I'd love for him to train with Tony G like Julio did with TO last season.. Hooper can be really good if he gets his hands right 

gazoo likes this

Just now, gazoo said:

You are saying coaches are disappointed with Hooper, so they fired Harmon? That is nonsensical. Hooper is a pro bowl alternate so someone seems to appreciate his play. 

What exactly do you expect from a 2 year, bottom of 5th round draft pick TE out of a small,school like Drake in his second season?

i look for progress, I  watch his snaps to see if he is putting himself in the right position to make his blocks and how good he is once engaging the defender. I look to see if he knows what he is doing out there or looks lost.

Some of you guys expectations seem to be if he didn’t have a 1000 yard receiving season with 10 TDs he hasn’t done anything. 

Im looking for progress, and I’m seeing it. I also see a lot of upside for. TE who was #2 in the nation in receiving yards and TDs.  Blocking is coming along nicely, but he has to get that down before he can play more snaps.

The Falcons didn’t play Saubert 187 snaps on offense for nothing. 

I think the Falcons looked at the position and weren’t satisfied with how that position group played.  

TE is really a watered down position right now...particularly in the NFC.  There’s Ertz/Kittle and then a huge drop off.  So being named a Pro Bowl alternate is largely because he was shade better than other JAG types who played 16 games (Trey Burton, zkyle Rudolph, Jimmy Graham) and players who produced more on a per game basis had in-season injuries (Evan Engram, OJ Howard).

His production was pedestrian.  Based on what you saw in 2019, would we want to commit $9M/year on a long term deal?  As for Saubert, I didn’t expect a 1000 yard season, but I did expect a 100 yard one...

runshoot likes this