Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Hurry_Up_And_Buy

As long as the Falcons put more money into the skill positions than the trenches they will be mediocre

56 posts in this topic

19 hours ago, Hurry_Up_And_Buy said:

me·di·o·cre
/ˌmēdēˈōkər/
adjective
  1. of only moderate quality; not very good.
    "a mediocre actor"
    (syn)

ordinary, common, commonplace, indifferent, average, middle-of-the-road, middling, medium, moderate, everyday, workaday, tolerable, passable, adequate, fair; 

So the team with the 6th best record in the league since 2008 with six playoff appearances, two championship game appearances, a Super Bowl appearance, and an MVP is "only of moderate quality" "not very good" and "ordinary/common/average/middle of the road"

Good luck with that one. 

On 1/7/2019 at 5:19 PM, robertap said:

No argument from me.  Of course, this is exactly the reason that Drew Brees threw for 5000 yards in multiple seasons in 7-9 efforts.  I didn't hear anyone saying, "Drew Brees can't carry a team," when that was going on.

I disagree with you on trading Jones.  I just don't think that's going to accomplish what you think it will.

But you got a +1 for the first sentence alone.  Literally nobody ever talks about how Drew Brees can't carry a team when he went 7-9 over and over and over.

"But he's won a Super Bowl."  Yeah.  And Matt Ryan played better than him the season we lost a Super Bowl.  Football is  a team sport.

Geneaut and Stryka like this

Anyway, the way to build any part of your team solidly is in the draft.  The point is to get great players without having to pay them all that money.  Some players you keep.  The franchise players.  Ryan.  J. Jones.  D. Jones.  Probably Neal.  Jarrett.  Freeman.

Some players you move on from.  Maybe V. Beasley.  Maybe Alford.  But you move on because you drafted other players that are better than them and cheaper.  You don't move on from good players when you haven't done that.

And that's exactly what we've done with the o-line.  We've drafted poorly and sporadically, so we're always having to spend money.  We need to draft a solid o-line core over the next 5 years or so and then keep it going.

2 hours ago, JDaveG said:

We need to draft a solid o-line core over the next 5 years or so and then keep it going.

Exactly this.  If I was calling the shots, we'd be using (on average) 3 picks per draft on OL/DL, with at least one of those picks being a 1st or 2nd rounder.  If we did that consistently, we'd always have talent and depth on the lines.

If anyone is looking for a recipe for success, have a look at New England's draft history.  They spend a ton of picks on linemen.  (of course, they have their QB, and that's the hardest position in the NFL to fill)

JDaveG likes this

You can draft as many OL/DL as you want....theres no guarantee it'll work out. 

You need to draft the right players, have the right coaching staff in place to develop those players, and have the right combo of luck to keep those players upright. 

There are some teams that have poured high value draft capital into the OL and struggled to put together a solid unit. There are others that have had a pretty good OL year in and year out without investing a ton of draft capital along the OL. Same goes for DL. 

2 minutes ago, DoYouSeeWhatHappensLarry said:

You can draft as many OL/DL as you want....theres no guarantee it'll work out. 

You need to draft the right players, have the right coaching staff in place to develop those players, and have the right combo of luck to keep those players upright. 

There are some teams that have poured high value draft capital into the OL and struggled to put together a solid unit. There are others that have had a pretty good OL year in and year out without investing a ton of draft capital along the OL. Same goes for DL. 

Agree.  However, making o-line a draft priority helps alleviate issues with players who don't develop.  It gives you a margin of error that our draft strategy just doesn't afford us.  That's why I've always liked teams that stockpile draft picks and give themselves more chances to hit on a prospect.  Beyond that, simply taking more prospects at o-line helps balance out the fact that for that position, you have 5 players on the field every offensive snap.  It makes sense to prioritize that numerically over, say, RB.

Yet we've taken as many running backs in the Quinn era as o-linemen.  And we've also drafted them higher on average (a third, fourth and fifth versus a fourth and two sixths).