Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Hurry_Up_And_Buy

As long as the Falcons put more money into the skill positions than the trenches they will be mediocre

56 posts in this topic

18 hours ago, atljbo said:

Yup

3rd highest paid LT

5th highest paid Center

11th highest paid RT 

13th highest paid LG

We had one of the highest paid lines if I'm not mistaken ... 

To me it's not about putting more money into the O-Line... but just as important we should be investing higher picks in the O-Line.... 

You are developing more talented players at a lower cost ... That allows you money to invest in the defense...  If a talented D-Lineman gets released.. You can go after him

Yup.

2 hours ago, robertap said:

Matt Ryan put up 4500 yards without Julio.  Matt Ryan is the offense.

Matt Ryan’s a better QB with Julio Jones I don’t need to see the yardage or stats to know that.My eyes tell me all you need to know in how important Jones is to Ryan.

1 hour ago, kiwifalcon said:

Matt Ryan’s a better QB with Julio Jones I don’t need to see the yardage or stats to know that.My eyes tell me all you need to know in how important Jones is to Ryan.

Jones is important to the entire offense but he alone is not the offense. Shanahan proved that. He finally got Ryan seeing the entire field and spreading the ball around and Julio became a wonderful role-player yet not the ENTIRE offense. We played well with or without him. That's what's most important imo.

Matt is who Matt is.  You get the man an offensive line and players who can catch the ball, and he's going to put up top 5 numbers.  Even with a train wreck at OL, he was off of his MVP pace by 20 yards and 3 TD's.  If I could trade Julio for a top 5 OL or top 5 DL, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

Hurry_Up_And_Buy and Geneaut like this

1 hour ago, robertap said:

Matt is who Matt is.  You get the man an offensive line and players who can catch the ball, and he's going to put up top 5 numbers.  Even with a train wreck at OL, he was off of his MVP pace by 20 yards and 3 TD's.  If I could trade Julio for a top 5 OL or top 5 DL, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

I wouldn’t I’d keep Julio and take my chances in the draft like pretty much how we’ve built this team.

Everyone thinks because we had a poor year we are miles off.When if you take a emotional step back in all reality we are right there and Julio is a huge part of that with his combination with Ryan.

Thats all hearsay about if I did this or did that all I know is with Julio this team as is right now was basically on the brink of winning it.You take Julio out of this offense the Falcons are alot easier to defend.

I’m not in throwing away a guy that’s a huge part of that equation.

PS one of the big reasons Ryan got near his MVP numbers passing was because he passed the ball more and considering we couldn’t get the run game going this years passing yardage were up.

55 minutes ago, Hurry_Up_And_Buy said:

Jones is important to the entire offense but he alone is not the offense. Shanahan proved that. He finally got Ryan seeing the entire field and spreading the ball around and Julio became a wonderful role-player yet not the ENTIRE offense. We played well with or without him. That's what's most important imo.

Yep.

But in the big moments in big games that year vs GB and NE who carried the team and made the biggest plays ?

Julio put the team on his back in that NFCCG and that catch in the SB should have been enough you take away Julio Jones in anyone of those two huge games it becomes a 50/50 proposition against GB and in the SB yeah I’m not sure it’s as close as it was.

Vandy, vel and Hurry_Up_And_Buy like this

37 minutes ago, DoYouSeeWhatHappensLarry said:

People really have to stop using the word "mediocre" in this way. 

It’s almost like they don’t understand the meaning of the word...  

raysnill1 and Falconsin2012 like this

PS one of the big reasons Ryan got near his MVP numbers passing was because he passed the ball more and considering we couldn’t get the run game going this years passing yardage were up.

No argument from me.  Of course, this is exactly the reason that Drew Brees threw for 5000 yards in multiple seasons in 7-9 efforts.  I didn't hear anyone saying, "Drew Brees can't carry a team," when that was going on.

Here's the secret...  The Saints traded away Brees' best receiver, and used what they got to improve the OL and defense.  They're now a much better team.

Let me be clear, I'm not suggesting for a moment that Julio isn't the best WR that we've ever had.  I'm saying that he's in his 30's, he's asking for top money, and with a healthy Julio and Ryan for a full 16 games, we managed 7-9, just like the Saints have been doing for the past several years with Brees and Graham. 

Trade Julio for picks or players and beef up the lines, and the TEAM will be much more solid.  We couldn't afford to keep our DL in tact this past year because we pay Ryan, Freeman, and Jones top dollar.  If we could free up Jones' contract money, and acquire more draft picks, we could be well on our way to solidifying the team for the next 5-10 years.  How many good years does Julio have left?

Is the goal here to make Jones happy until he retires, or to get back to the Superbowl?

JDaveG and vitaman like this

Yep.

But in the big moments in big games that year vs GB and NE who carried the team and made the biggest plays ?

Julio put the team on his back in that NFCCG and that catch in the SB should have been enough you take away Julio Jones in anyone of those two huge games it becomes a 50/50 proposition against GB and in the SB yeah I’m not sure it’s as close as it was.

I don't get why people don't understand this. Julio is a massive part of the reason why we even had a lead in the 2012 NFCCG and why people are pissed Kyle didn't kick a FG to ice the SB. Keep throwing to Julio in 2012 or kick a FG in 2016 and you've got at least one ring and two SB appearances. 

1 hour ago, robertap said:

No argument from me.  Of course, this is exactly the reason that Drew Brees threw for 5000 yards in multiple seasons in 7-9 efforts.  I didn't hear anyone saying, "Drew Brees can't carry a team," when that was going on.

Here's the secret...  The Saints traded away Brees' best receiver, and used what they got to improve the OL and defense.  They're now a much better team.

Let me be clear, I'm not suggesting for a moment that Julio isn't the best WR that we've ever had.  I'm saying that he's in his 30's, he's asking for top money, and with a healthy Julio and Ryan for a full 16 games, we managed 7-9, just like the Saints have been doing for the past several years with Brees and Graham. 

Trade Julio for picks or players and beef up the lines, and the TEAM will be much more solid.  We couldn't afford to keep our DL in tact this past year because we pay Ryan, Freeman, and Jones top dollar.  If we could free up Jones' contract money, and acquire more draft picks, we could be well on our way to solidifying the team for the next 5-10 years.  How many good years does Julio have left?

Is the goal here to make Jones happy until he retires, or to get back to the Superbowl?

Get back to the SB with Julio the idea like I mentioned in my previous post is speculative at best.

We can still get there with the guy and with a fresh infusion of talent like I’ve mentioned you know exactly what you have with Julio.

The trade route there’s zero guarantee that your going to be any better.

Ill stick with what I know Julio and Ryan.

Bottom line, our team is soft and constantly gets beaten in the trenches against bigger olines and dlines. That's always been our problem and still is. Until we figure that out, we'll always be a soft *** team, plain and simple. 

For the record I love the falcons, but I'm not going to make any excuses for there past and current failures. It is what it is. I'll still be watching them every Sunday and cheering my *** off. 

Flame away if you please! :munch:

1 minute ago, WPGFALCONSFAN said:

Bottom line, our team is soft and constantly gets beaten in the trenches against bigger olines and dlines. That's always been our problem and still is. Until we figure that out, we'll always be a soft *** team, plain and simple. 

For the record I love the falcons, but I'm not going to make any excuses for there past and current failures. It is what it is. I'll still be watching them every Sunday and cheering my *** off. 

Flame away if you please! :munch:

Past and current failures see this is all in the eye of the beholder.

For me the Falcons haven’t failed the last 3 years only this year so what are we calling failure.

Posted (edited)

37 minutes ago, kiwifalcon said:

For me the Falcons haven’t failed the last 3 years only this year so what are we calling failure.

Losing the way they did to the Pats in the SuperBowl is a failure. Not sure what else you can call that? No one remembers good seasons, passing yards or whatever numbers people wanna throw out there. People remember playoffs and championships because it's all that really matters at the end of the day. Aside from our one run with shanny, which ended in one of the biggest choke jobs in history, what has this team accomplished when it matters most aside from failure? 

Again I love this team, but as a fan I don't think lying about this team, it's history or where they are at is useful. They are what they are, a talented team that's missing key components to be a consistent playoff team. Can't rely on record breaking offensive numbers every year. As I stated above, I believe the trenches are where we get beaten more often then not. I know attempts have been made to shore it up, but I still think it's a weakness that continues to show itself against bigger teams again and again. 

Edited by WPGFALCONSFAN

5 hours ago, DoYouSeeWhatHappensLarry said:

People really have to stop using the word "mediocre" in this way. 

Would you like me to quote the definition of the word for you sir?

3 hours ago, kiwifalcon said:

Are you kidding me? Unless Matt comes back and wins one 28-3 and a ton of meaningless passing yards will become not only his but the franchise's legacy until it's not. You can not be that unaware. Fans like you actually scare me away from the pro football viewership.

4 hours ago, Hurry_Up_And_Buy said:

Are you kidding me? Unless Matt comes back and wins one 28-3 and a ton of meaningless passing yards will become not only his but the franchise's legacy until it's not. You can not be that unaware. Fans like you actually scare me away from the pro football viewership.

I don’t live my life or follow sports like that.

I don’t care what happened in 2016 it’s ancient history if you keep living in the past best believe you won’t be moving foward at all .

Whose legacy are you referring to the one the media reminds you about.Yeah like that means anything.

Geneaut likes this

19 hours ago, vel said:

I don't get why people don't understand this. Julio is a massive part of the reason why we even had a lead in the 2012 NFCCG and why people are pissed Kyle didn't kick a FG to ice the SB. Keep throwing to Julio in 2012 or kick a FG in 2016 and you've got at least one ring and two SB appearances. 

Simple Vel all our drafted players who become good need to be paid.

You watch,Jarretts going through it now Debo and Neal will be the next to wear it.

Its all about there money and how much it’s going to supposedly affect the team.The only result that matters is if we win the SB then the discussion doesn’t exist.

23 hours ago, robertap said:

Except the bold isnt really what happened.....

They're a much better team because they had a couple of really nice drafts in a row, neither of which are linked to the Unger/Graham trade.

There's certainly an argument for what you're saying but lets not jump to conclusions which are ill-supported. 

18 hours ago, Hurry_Up_And_Buy said:

lol wut? 

On 1/8/2019 at 2:06 PM, DoYouSeeWhatHappensLarry said:

Yes, please. 

me·di·o·cre
/ˌmēdēˈōkər/
adjective
  1. of only moderate quality; not very good.
    "a mediocre actor"
    (syn)

ordinary, common, commonplace, indifferent, average, middle-of-the-road, middling, medium, moderate, everyday, workaday, tolerable, passable, adequate, fair; 

All I want to say is that each of the 4 teams left has very good OLs & DLs....you got to have em to get there. Mediocre line play has been what TD has produced since he got here....other than the OL  ‘16 SB season...nuff said. Oh maybe there’s a reason we went to the SB that yr.

Hurry_Up_And_Buy likes this

On 1/6/2019 at 6:47 PM, Geneaut said:

You know we had one of the highest paid OLs in the NFL, right?

Not impressed. As others have said, the Falcons have not made a significant investment on the line in the ten years of Mr. Urgent Athleticism running the show. The foundation of winning football is in the lines and the foundation of winning lines is a continual committment to keeping a flow of effective young talent coming in.

Hurry_Up_And_Buy likes this

2 minutes ago, Doctor Kildare said:

Not impressed. As others have said, the Falcons have not made a significant investment on the line in the ten years of Mr. Urgent Athleticism running the show. The foundation of winning football is in the lines and the foundation of winning lines is a continual committment to keeping a flow of effective young talent coming in.

The name of this thread isn't 'As long as the Falcons spend more draft picks on skill positions ....". OP seems to think we don't spend money on the lines and that is BS plain and simple, and isn't open for debate.

If you want to discuss drafting and trade failures that's a different subject, and I agree with you.

Atl Falcon likes this