Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Hurry_Up_And_Buy

As long as the Falcons put more money into the skill positions than the trenches they will be mediocre

56 posts in this topic

You heard it here, probably not first but officially I'M SAYING IT AGAIN! Sitting here looking at this Eagle's squad in all out envy of how well they've adjusted their roster. How many Super Bowl worthy teams have as much capital put into their backs & receivers as we do?? Is this the real issue with this franchise? Trufant's contract? Freeman's contract? Heck even Julio's contract? Why is so much of our cap tied into skill positions and yet the key trench positions left wanting??? I ABSOLUTELY LOVE JULIO. But in terms of an actually Dynasty creating mindset do you put THAT much money into the position? I need to know.. I'm all ears.. And plz don't flame just because u don't like what I've said. Have some logic behind ur arguments becuz I'd LOVE to hear the Fanbases' Take on this...

17 minutes ago, Geneaut said:

You know we had one of the highest paid OLs in the NFL, right?

Yup

3rd highest paid LT

5th highest paid Center

11th highest paid RT 

13th highest paid LG

We had one of the highest paid lines if I'm not mistaken ... 

To me it's not about putting more money into the O-Line... but just as important we should be investing higher picks in the O-Line.... 

You are developing more talented players at a lower cost ... That allows you money to invest in the defense...  If a talented D-Lineman gets released.. You can go after him

Statick, GreggT and TheeTKOBeatz like this

3 hours ago, Hurry_Up_And_Buy said:

You heard it here, probably not first but officially I'M SAYING IT AGAIN! Sitting here looking at this Eagle's squad in all out envy of how well they've adjusted their roster. How many Super Bowl worthy teams have as much capital put into their backs & receivers as we do?? Is this the real issue with this franchise? Trufant's contract? Freeman's contract? Heck even Julio's contract? Why is so much of our cap tied into skill positions and yet the key trench positions left wanting??? I ABSOLUTELY LOVE JULIO. But in terms of an actually Dynasty creating mindset do you put THAT much money into the position? I need to know.. I'm all ears.. And plz don't flame just because u don't like what I've said. Have some logic behind ur arguments becuz I'd LOVE to hear the Fanbases' Take on this...

Julio is the offense.....Peeps wont realize it until he leaves or is shipped off.....then they'll cry like they did when shannahan left.

Vandy, mar31985 and Drew4719 like this

3 hours ago, Geneaut said:

Falcons rarely draft OL in first two rounds. It’s mostly Defense with an occasional WR in first round. I have no problem with getting OL in FA as long as they don’t sign scrubs.

Drew4719, Geneaut and JDaveG like this

You can't help when injuries decimate the guard position and all you have left are scrubs.

Can't pay for 2 sets of starters. That said they should have changed something to accomdate the losses.

Drew4719, Geneaut and Schwarzwald like this

We invested plenty in the OL, that investment just turned into a lemon overnight.

Same holds true for our secondary.  The OL & secondary accounted for nearly $80,000,000, half our CAP, and they were our worst positional units in 2018.  

Blank probably asking his attorney about the application of ‘Lemon Laws’ as it pertains to his non-performing human assets

4 hours ago, atljbo said:

Yup

3rd highest paid LT

5th highest paid Center

11th highest paid RT 

13th highest paid LG

We had one of the highest paid lines if I'm not mistaken ... 

To me it's not about putting more money into the O-Line... but just as important we should be investing higher picks in the O-Line.... 

You are developing more talented players at a lower cost ... That allows you money to invest in the defense...  If a talented D-Lineman gets released.. You can go after him

On the flip you can look teams who spend the most at WR.  Falcons is #5 and #1 is Tampa Bay.  But lets pay Julio even more than what he has left on his contract (2 years).  I say we shore up our other problems first and then pay after his contract is up if needed.

Posted (edited)

11 hours ago, Falconsin2012 said:

We invested plenty in the OL, that investment just turned into a lemon overnight.

Same holds true for our secondary.  The OL & secondary accounted for nearly $80,000,000, half our CAP, and they were our worst positional units in 2018.  

Blank probably asking his attorney about the application of ‘Lemon Laws’ as it pertains to his non-performing human assets

To be honest, I don't think the secondary is that bad. I just think marquand Manuel wasn't that good. Under him, it seemed as if everyone regressed from last year except for grady Jarrett. I think you will see drastic change in the style of play from our secondary now that Quinn is back to putting his stamp on it. 

The other factor is getting the pass rush riddle solved. We need better dline play overall. 

Edited by ShadyRef
Vandy, Drew4719 and Falconsin2012 like this

I’m hoping the silver lining of this season is it opens the eyes of the coaching staff and FO that the trenches need a massive overhaul.  As previously mentioned, it’s not about paying dudes, but it’s about year after year restocking with OL and DL picks.  

Last year I heard a number of times it being said a high OL pick would be wasted b/c we’d be moving on from Harlowe.  I like Ridley, but I’d sure as heck like to see a better option for us at OT or OG.  

NeonDeion and Doctor Kildare like this

We gutted our DL this off season and did not have a valid replacement strategy. A lot of us called this out and were told not to worry, we were right.

A good DL could have masked all our secondary injuries like the Eagles did. The Eagles had to use 13 players in their secondary this year and just won a playoff game.

14 hours ago, Geneaut said:

Most of that money is tied up in Mack and Matthews the only 2 consistent players we have on the OL. We also over paid for some obvious scrubs.

10 hours ago, dawgsjw said:

On the flip you can look teams who spend the most at WR.  Falcons is #5 and #1 is Tampa Bay.  But lets pay Julio even more than what he has left on his contract (2 years).  I say we shore up our other problems first and then pay after his contract is up if needed.

Julio getting his money is not stopping you from making a move you need to make.... It's stupid to give up your best player

mar31985 and kiwifalcon like this

1 hour ago, ShadyRef said:

To be honest, I don't think the secondary is that bad. I just think marquand Manuel wasn't that good. Under him, it seemed as if everyone regressed from last year except for grady Jarrett. I think you will see drastic change the style of play from out secondary now that Quinn is back to putting his stamp on it. 

The other factor is getting the pass rush riddle solved. We need better dline play overall. 

Valid points.  You convinced me..fingers crossed for “Return of the Secondary” in 2019

ShadyRef likes this

12 hours ago, cblack said:

Julio is the offense.....Peeps wont realize it until he leaves or is shipped off.....then they'll cry like they did when shannahan left.

Matt Ryan put up 4500 yards without Julio.  Matt Ryan is the offense.

Geneaut, 7979 and rugger8 like this

12 hours ago, Jesus said:

You can't help when injuries decimate the guard position and all you have left are scrubs.

Can't pay for 2 sets of starters. That said they should have changed something to accomdate the losses.

If you draft for OL, then you will have young players that you're developing to fall back on.  The Falcons have only used 11 picks on OL since Dimitroff has been here.  That's 1 per year.  The OL represents 23% of our starters, and we've only been using 14% of our draft picks on the OL.  We need to do better.

1 hour ago, atljbo said:

Julio getting his money is not stopping you from making a move you need to make.... It's stupid to give up your best player

So Julio doesn't have 2 years left on the contract he signed?  How are we giving Julio up if we get him to finish out his contract?  Also, our best player is M Ryan. 

17 hours ago, Hurry_Up_And_Buy said:

In theory, I agree with you, but....

17 hours ago, Geneaut said:

That said, it looks like we're going to need to re-invest into our OL, despite already having a lot of resources devoted to it already.

3 hours ago, MAD597 said:

We gutted our DL this off season and did not have a valid replacement strategy. A lot of us called this out and were told not to worry, we were right.

A good DL could have masked all our secondary injuries like the Eagles did. The Eagles had to use 13 players in their secondary this year and just won a playoff game.

We do have a good dline it just under performed as a unit.

Gutted dline we let 2 players move on.

Especially at DE and inside with McLain and a developing Senat.

Thats more of the issue getting guys to perform.

It also happens in other parts of the defense aswell our corners fell off the planet performance wise.

In all essence the defense fell apart and I haven’t even mentioned injuries.