Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Falcons In 2012

FA Priority: Quinton Spain

63 posts in this topic

On 1/6/2019 at 9:16 AM, Falconsin2012 said:

He is, but more expensive.  Can’t have another $10,000,000/annual contract on the OL.  Spain’s injury this year effected his play which would allow us to get him at a reasonable price

cap keeps going up, I think we would be fine if we got the right production for the money

Ergo Proxy likes this

16 minutes ago, Romfal said:

cap keeps going up, I think we would be fine if we got the right production for the money

Yes, the CAP does go up.  So do player salaries so it’s a wash

Ergo Proxy likes this

On 1/6/2019 at 0:09 PM, kiwifalcon said:

I’d take my chances with that OU right side.

Theyve played together for 2-3 years already and no one another well.Thats half the battle for these new line man getting up to speed and developing a combination.If you drafted these 2 your halfway there.

They are coming from a spread offense and there has been alot of concerns in the last couple years about  the learning curve for such lineman.  The footwork is much different in spread offenses compared to NFL ones.  Camps aren't as long as they used to be either.    i don't know if it would be a good idea to have the whole right side of the line blocked by two rookies from spread offenses.

kiwifalcon and silent fwheaks like this

On 1/6/2019 at 11:14 AM, Falcanuck said:

Rodger Saffold >

Here is the thing with him....

remember how bad the rams were up front from 2010-2016??

i do....and he was a big part of the rams sucking on the o line.

i realize that he has played better the last couple years but his overall history in the nfl is not that good.

Falcons In 2012 and raysnill1 like this

34 minutes ago, falconsd56 said:

i realize that he has played better the last couple years but his overall history in the nfl is not that good.

They had one terrible year where Gurley’s YPC was under 4, but Saffold was injured for 11 games. I see your point, though.

Ergo Proxy likes this

I mentioned it in a few other threads but i could see the falcons go after Spain and Donovan Smith from Tampa.....with DK and Mularky both here now they just make the most sense.

I could also see the Falcons get a vet OT to replace RS and then pick a guard and roll with a rookie between Mack and the Vet OT

Falcons In 2012 and Ergo Proxy like this

6 hours ago, wuskillzz said:

They are coming from a spread offense and there has been alot of concerns in the last couple years about  the learning curve for such lineman.  The footwork is much different in spread offenses compared to NFL ones.  Camps aren't as long as they used to be either.    i don't know if it would be a good idea to have the whole right side of the line blocked by two rookies from spread offenses.

Agree completely I’ve  basically got a blind fold on throwing darts when I talk about olineman coming out of college.I see things I like but really I got everything crossed when predicting what they’ll be.

Ergo Proxy likes this

11 hours ago, k-train said:

It was actually '85... and Fralic turned out to be a pretty darn good player for a long time.

My bad it was from recall and not fakepedia. Yeah not knocking the pick, he was all-pro level for us.

k-train likes this

14 hours ago, falconsd56 said:

dude, we got Wes who's been a starter for 2 years now. he's gotten progressively better. at the end of last season the left side was clicking. this is year 3 in his development as a starter and his 4th in the league. fix the right side of the line and call it a day

2 hours ago, raysnill1 said:

dude, we got Wes who's been a starter for 2 years now. he's gotten progressively better. at the end of last season the left side was clicking. this is year 3 in his development as a starter and his 4th in the league. fix the right side of the line and call it a day

I agree.....

I am 96% sure that one of our starting guards will be either Wes,Garland,Harlow or one of the othher guys we have tried.

And i think the right side is being overhauled

On 1/6/2019 at 0:13 PM, Falconsin2012 said:

I would love it if we sign this man to take Levitre’s spot.  If we are looking for a quality veteran at a good price, he is a great option.  It would solidify the left side of our line and leave us with a single glaring need: RT.  You don’t want to start 2 rookies along the OL, so it makes sense to have something like:

LG: Quinton Spain

Spain looks to re-establish himself on offensive line

Nashville Post's ongoing look at Titans who need a productive training camp

authors John Glennon

In just over a week, the Titans will be hitting the field for their first training camp practice under new head coach Mike Vrabel.

The Titans are coming off back-to-back winning seasons for the first time in almost a decade, and last year produced their first playoff victory since 2003. So there are reasonable expectations for success surrounding the team in the coming year.

The Post is taking a look this week at five Titans players who need to have a productive camp and why. Here's the third edition:

Name: Quinton Spain

Position: Guard

What's happened so far: In the big picture, the 6-4, 330-pound Spain has already been a major success, as the undrafted free agent bucked the odds just by making the Titans roster out of training camp in 2015. He used his size and physical ability to great advantage in the team's smashmouth-style atttack over the past couple of years, starting 27 of the 28 games he played in his second and third seasons. In 2016, Spain helped the Titans produce the NFL's third-best rushing attack, averaging 137 yards per game. In addition, Spain surrendered just two sacks in 14 contests that year, per STATS.

Why he needs a big camp: Things didn't go as well for Spain or the offensive line last season, and the interior portion of the group — which also included center Ben Jones and right guard Josh Kline — took the brunt of the blame. The Titans slipped to 15th in the NFL in rushing, averaging about 115 yards per contest. Spain doubled his sacks allowed to four, though he did trim his penalties from eight to two. So Spain, like his teammates, now has to re-establish himself for a new coaching staff that includes offensive coordinator Matt LaFleur.

The new offensive line coach is Keith Carter, who may choose to use more of a zone-blocking style than the Titans have deployed previously — a test to Spain's grinding style. In addition, the Titans feature more interior depth on the offensive line than the team has seen in a while, which means Spain might have to fight off a training camp challenge from Kevin Pamphile. Signed as a free agent earlier this year, the 6-5, 317-pound Pamphile started 29 games over the past two seasons for Tampa Bay.