MSalmon

Since the NFLis a copy cat league I hope we copy the Colts

187 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, MSalmon said:

1 hour ago, MSalmon said:

So if players on OL don’t have to be “great” they have to be good, then why change anything. Keep Wes starting. That is a silly answer. You propose overpaying in FA for a “good “player? Did you want Solder last year too?

You seem to be getting awfully upset that I disagree with you. I was trying to have a civil discourse with you, but judging by your flippant responses to not only myself but other posters, this may not seem possible. It is been my experience that people who do such things either lack manners or intelligence, which hasn’t been the case with you in previous posts. I’m hoping it was just a one off with you. So let’s please get back on track of discussing football, instead of lambasting each other with $hitty “research” remarks. I would hate for this thread to get derailed.

To answer your question, yes I do research. Most of the recent mocks have him going mid to late 1st round  (13-23 iirc). Most of the early mocks were early second round so I haven’t had time to research the last few weeks. I use DuckDuckGo their search engine is a little wonky.

I wouldn’t place Wes on the “good” tier. Anyone that does didn’t watch this season. He’s average at best. Point is that we can make due with “good” players. Both Matthews and Mack are good to great in my opinion. Matthews especially did better than anticipated this season. The players I listed are good, so I think we can make due.

Lol I didn’t propose “overpaying” anyone. Give contracts that are proportionate to their level of play. Not a fan of overpaying or overdrafting as a rule. And no, didn’t want Solder last year because we had Matthews. And I saw no benefit in overpaying for a player that would be riding the bench behind a better/younger player. 

MSalmon likes this

8 minutes ago, Vandy said:

Saints continually invest in their OL...it’s the one thing they do better than us. 

and have their dbs hold on every play

Vandy likes this

1 minute ago, VTCrunkler said:

so the end of 2015 didnt carry into 2016?

Lol no. Mack, Sanu, Jones, Neal, Campbell, Poole, etc. The keys to the SB run weren't even on the team. Like seriously, what happened on December 31, 2018 is not going to be of any concern come August. New OC/DC/ST coordinators. Numerous players added to the roster that weren't apart of that 3 game streak. It just doesn't matter. 

ZoneOne01 and Vandy like this

Just now, vel said:

Lol no. Mack, Sanu, Jones, Neal, Campbell, Poole, etc. The keys to the SB run weren't even on the team. Like seriously, what happened on December 31, 2018 is not going to be of any concern come August. New OC/DC/ST coordinators. Numerous players added to the roster that weren't apart of that 3 game streak. It just doesn't matter. 

i can see that.  i still am a prisoner of the moment, loved snapping carolinas perfect streak.  that may have helped them "Get that losso ut of the way" en route to a sb.  

and always like coming back on dat a__ in comback style.  vs the buccs.  

4 minutes ago, Francis York Morgan said:

I get the tanker argument, but idk. It'd be nice to have higher picks, but I doubt Dimi would trade down regardless. I kinda felt down the stretch that it'd be gravy whether we won or lost.

Agreed he probably wouldn't have traded down, but you don't have that option if you're not in that position. That's the argument. They would have missed out on drafting an All Pro OG to protect Luck. The would have been too far back to add All Pro Darius Leonard in the second. That's the argument. It's the compound effect when you hit it right. 

6 minutes ago, vel said:

The only thing I’ll add to this is the continued evaluation of depth.

They experimented with new right side Oline combinations and we saw a bit more from Brian Hill/Jeremy Langford combo as a closer in games.

The evaluation side of things is why I think those last 3 games were really important and will have a domino effect in who stays and who is history.

vel likes this

1 minute ago, VTCrunkler said:

i can see that.  i still am a prisoner of the moment, loved snapping carolinas perfect streak.  that may have helped them "Get that losso ut of the way" en route to a sb.  

and always like coming back on dat a__ in comback style.  vs the buccs.  

Oh I loved that win too. It shows, just like this year, that DQ can have his roster fighting in even "meaningless" games. I enjoyed the wins this year too. I'd rather see them win in the moment but I get the "tanking" aspect. The difference is this was a playoff caliber team, so them losing the last three games would have been difficult solely based on that. 

But having played enough sports, once the new season begins, you've moved on so far from the prior season and it's a totally different team. Thinking that stuff carries over gets you in trouble looking back and thinking you are just a few moves away, which is what derailed Smitty, on top of injuries. 

MSalmon and kiwifalcon like this

3 minutes ago, kiwifalcon said:

The only thing I’ll add to this is the continued evaluation of depth.

They experimented with new right side Oline combinations and we saw a bit more from Brian Hill/Jeremy Langford combo as a closer in games.

The evaluation side of things is why I think those last 3 games were really important and will have a domino effect in who stays and who is history.

Oh I agree with that. That's roster evaluation, not momentum. I'm always for that once the playoffs are out of reach. Because there is always next season and you can get a head start on what you're working with. 

MSalmon and kiwifalcon like this

42 minutes ago, vel said:

NFL is copycat league, yet the Colts RB is a 4th rounder. Spending a 2nd on a RB is stupid. No way around it. 

I think Ford has a very good chance of being our pick at #14 though. I called us going WR last year well before the draft. DQ is most likely going to spend his cap capital on DL in free agency.  

I can easily see them signing Saffold or Turner to take over the LG spot then using the two top 50 picks we have to fix the right side. From there, you've still got a third, two fourths, and two fifths to play with. Given DQ's penchant for finding guys in that range, having the OL "solved" and the DL "solved" you can go BPA again. That's when you can take your RB if you want. 

Good write up, althoughlets not forget we’ve spent a third on Coleman at rb. So slot one in at 3rd vs second .. big deal. 

I agree on DL

47 minutes ago, vel said:

Have a smart offseason and we’re set up perfectly for playoffs and more. 

MSalmon, vel and Ergo Proxy like this

15 minutes ago, vel said:

Oh I loved that win too. It shows, just like this year, that DQ can have his roster fighting in even "meaningless" games. I enjoyed the wins this year too. I'd rather see them win in the moment but I get the "tanking" aspect. The difference is this was a playoff caliber team, so them losing the last three games would have been difficult solely based on that. 

But having played enough sports, once the new season begins, you've moved on so far from the prior season and it's a totally different team. Thinking that stuff carries over gets you in trouble looking back and thinking you are just a few moves away, which is what derailed Smitty, on top of injuries. 

Sorry, but I’ll never understand the tanking ‘thinking’....screw the higher draft picks, I want a team fighting and clawing to win. A culture of losing for picks goes against everything I believe in. 

To Quinn’s credit, he had team fighting till the end. Frankly, it’s main reason why I didn’t want him fired, despite all his mistakes. He keeps team fighting through adversity.

i think if we’d had ‘tanked’ against Zona, cam-less panthers, a woeful bucs, DQ would be gone too. 

vel, MSalmon, Ergo Proxy and 1 other like this

18 minutes ago, Sidecar Falcon said:

You seem to be getting awfully upset that I disagree with you. I was trying to have a civil discourse with you, but judging by your flippant responses to not only myself but other posters, this may not seem possible. It is been my experience that people who do such things either lack manners or intelligence, which hasn’t been the case with you in previous posts. I’m hoping it was just a one off with you. So let’s please get back on track of discussing football, instead of lambasting each other with $hitty “research” remarks. I would hate for this thread to get derailed.

To answer your question, yes I do research. Most of the recent mocks have him going mid to late 1st round  (13-23 iirc). Most of the early mocks were early second round so I haven’t had time to research the last few weeks. I use DuckDuckGo their search engine is a little wonky.

I wouldn’t place Wes on the “good” tier. Anyone that does didn’t watch this season. He’s average at best. Point is that we can make due with “good” players. Both Matthews and Mack are good to great in my opinion. Matthews especially did better than anticipated this season. The players I listed are good, so I think we can make due.

Lol I didn’t propose “overpaying” anyone. Give contracts that are proportionate to their level of play. Not a fan of overpaying or overdrafting as a rule. And no, didn’t want Solder last year because we had Matthews. And I saw no benefit in overpaying for a player that would be riding the bench behind a better/younger player. 

Not upset in the least lol

your opinion is as valid as mine

7 minutes ago, vel said:

2017my friend who is a fan of another nfl team said-  its weird that Atlanta isn't in the playoffs this year.  i think we bounced back admirably in 2017....

Vandy and Ergo Proxy like this

1 hour ago, Francis York Morgan said:

He's 30 and a stud. Not quite on par with saying Alex Mack is a trash pick up, but close.

And a DT in the 5th in this class is an iffy idea man.

Maybe on DT. It depends on how they view Senat and Crawford for one and if (when?) they re-sign Grady. Got a few areas need attention. 

kiwifalcon and Ergo Proxy like this

2 minutes ago, MSalmon said:

Maybe on DT. It depends on how they view Senat and Crawford for one and if (when?) they re-sign Grady. Got a few areas need attention. 

I’m not worried about Jarrett they’ll get something done.

Crawford had a good season and contributed well.

Im with you on Senat he’s the key inside upfront if they see this guy as an improver and provides some interior rush out of the base this opens us up for really swinging hard at the other side of the LoS.

If they manage to snag a Gerald McCoy well hello offensive line during the draft.

Ergo Proxy and MSalmon like this

3 hours ago, Falconsin2012 said:

Missed the part about moving Schraeder inside.  Sorry, hard pass on that.  He is built to be a ZBS Tackle, not a Guard.   That would be a dissster IMO

Sure he can. In fact, Schraeder at OG could be an upgrade over everyone we had there last season,  including levitre. 

MSalmon likes this

33 minutes ago, kiwifalcon said:

Whose playing the 2 base end positions against the Run ?

Outside of that I could live with this off season.

Could be the 2nd round pick if they go DE, Takk or Vic, Means. I think we cut Reed too so could be another signing. Good question though.  

kiwifalcon likes this

1 hour ago, kiwifalcon said:

I think the reason being is alot have this as being one of the deepest dline classes to come out in awhile.Potentially there’s probably 5-6 guys that go top 12 picks.

I see that as an advantage for us as that will mean guys like Ford Little or Williams fall to where we pick.

Its a good thing.

Also means that very good DL talent likely to be available on Day 2.

kiwifalcon and MSalmon like this

3 minutes ago, TheDirtyWordII said:

Also means that very good DL talent likely to be available on Day 2.

You got it.

Ill say this Senat is the key to where and what they’ll do regarding DT as they do need a third guy who can rush the passer inside.

8 minutes ago, jfalconsp said:

Could be the 2nd round pick if they go DE, Takk or Vic, Means. I think we cut Reed too so could be another signing. Good question though.  

Means I like he showed enough down the stretch to be given a shot.

Do they bring back a Shelby type 2 down cheap base LDE whose stout and can hold the point of attack that for me right now is another position they have to nail down.

With the roster we have now I don’t see that base end against the run there right now dependant on what they do with Shelby or Reed.

MSalmon and Ergo Proxy like this

17 minutes ago, Vandy said:

Sure he can. In fact, Schraeder at OG could be an upgrade over everyone we had there last season,  including levitre. 

Could but highly unlikely. There is nothing to suggest this until results.

He’d be one tall OG for Matt to throw over for one and there is the question of leverage in pass protection vs DTs off the snap. And it’s late in his career to position swap.

Save money there in order to get a proven OG rather than an overpaid OG experiment.

vitaman likes this

6 minutes ago, kiwifalcon said:

You got it.

Ill say this Senat is the key to where and what they’ll do regarding DT as they do need a third guy who can rush the passer inside.

Means I like he showed enough down the stretch to be given a shot.

Do they bring back a Shelby type 2 down cheap base LDE whose stout and can hold the point of attack that for me right now is another position they have to nail down.

With the roster we have now I don’t see that base end against the run there right now dependant on what they do with Shelby or Reed.

Irvin back.

Reed possibly gone for cap considerations vs his production.

5T base DE that can do Crawford’s job inside at DT.

McCoy on a rental.

Vic gone or back at a bargain. Agreed on Means for depth.

DE suddenly becomes slightly more concerning than DT.

MSalmon likes this

Just now, Ergo Proxy said:

Irvin back.

Reed possibly gone for cap considerations vs his production.

5T base DE that can do Crawford’s job inside at DT.

McCoy on a rental.

Vic gone or back at a bargain. Agreed on Means for depth.

DE suddenly becomes slightly more concerning than DT.

Pass rush not so much but run defense yes.

I think that’s where the whole identity and physical part comes in and what DQ hated watching.I bet him seeing his dline getting gashed on 1st & 2nd down pained him alot.Probably made MM surplus after that and was an easier decision.

LDE is really important in that run defense to me as they anchor that right edge and if Grady can play at that other DT spot along side it with Senat on the other side with Takk I think that’s my starting base defensive front unless they bring in a McCoy then all bets are off.

MSalmon likes this

28 minutes ago, kiwifalcon said:

I’m not worried about Jarrett they’ll get something done.

Crawford had a good season and contributed well.

Im with you on Senat he’s the key inside upfront if they see this guy as an improver and provides some interior rush out of the base this opens us up for really swinging hard at the other side of the LoS.

If they manage to snag a Gerald McCoy well hello offensive line during the draft.

I’d love to have McCoy. Actually, you kinda reversed my thinking on draft strategy. I agree that OL is a big thing that needs infusion of talent 

kiwifalcon and Vandy like this

36 minutes ago, Ergo Proxy said:

Could but highly unlikely. There is nothing to suggest this until results.

He’d be one tall OG for Matt to throw over for one. And it’s late in his career to position swap.

Save money. Get a proven OG rather than an overpaid OG experiment.

Schraeder’s just 31, and he’s a guy who didn’t even play football in high school. So he’s not so ingrained at RT to where he can just play this one position. 

And Matt’s plenty tall enough to overcome Schraeder’s height. 

It’s not that unique to see an OT move to OG later in his career. With the right OL coach, it most certainly could be done.

MSalmon likes this

40 minutes ago, Vandy said:

Sorry, but I’ll never understand the tanking ‘thinking’....screw the higher draft picks, I want a team fighting and clawing to win. A culture of losing for picks goes against everything I believe in. 

To Quinn’s credit, he had team fighting till the end. Frankly, it’s main reason why I didn’t want him fired, despite all his mistakes. He keeps team fighting through adversity.

i think if we’d had ‘tanked’ against Zona, cam-less panthers, a woeful bucs, DQ would be gone too. 

It's analytics. It's why Sashi got fired from Cleveland, but the reason why Cleveland is a very coveted destination for HC candidates.