MSalmon

Since the NFLis a copy cat league I hope we copy the Colts

187 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, MSalmon said:

Context dude.  We can pick all types of teams that have picked oline in the top rounds , u can't cherry pick a team that has a good oline now and say look they've been investing in oline last 4 or 5 years, u can say falcons did that too.  We're talking about getting this fixed for next year using the 2019 draft.

18 minutes ago, jfalconsp said:

Grab a vet DT in FA - McCoy would be nice. Re-sign Grady and Irvin, restructure Beasley. 

Go RT in round 1, best DL available round 2, OG round 3, BPA rest of draft.

I love that plan actually 

2 minutes ago, DMT11 said:

Context dude.  We can pick all types of teams that have picked oline in the top rounds , u can't cherry pick a team that has a good oline now and say look they've been investing in oline last 4 or 5 years, u can say falcons did that too.  We're talking about getting this fixed for next year using the 2019 draft.

No, you specifically said the saints haven’t invested in OL in a while. Correct?

7 minutes ago, DMT11 said:

Actually this year's tackle class is considered better than last year's, not sure about guards , although last year was **** 

Also when did the saints start "investing" in thier oline , I KEEP HEARING THIS PLEASE STOP PEST WAS DRAFTED IN 2015. Unger and peat have been thier for awhile, they finally have a good line thyeve put together , only took 4 or 5 years , lol in promise your not waiting that long

Let's stick to the colts if we're talking about this

Your post. Guess you missed the 17 draft. 

2 minutes ago, MSalmon said:

No, you specifically said the saints haven’t invested in OL in a while. Correct?

Semantics really? For the context of this thread, you said unger and peat, those guys have been there if we're talking about longer term plan ok then, I'm saying the discussion needs to be more focused on either quickly fixing the line as soon as we can or not, we can't use Peat from the 2015 draft as an example. 

1 minute ago, DMT11 said:

Semantics really? For the context of this thread, you said unger and peat, those guys have been there if we're talking about longer term plan ok then, I'm saying the discussion needs to be more focused on either quickly fixing the line as soon as we can or not, we can't use Peat from the 2015 draft as an example. 

I did not actually. I simply replied that they have invested in their OL and have continued to do so. Also they got lucky and Warford paid off. Their situation is not unlike ours. They have Peat—we have Jake, We have Mack—they have Unger. By adding a first round RT in the Wisconsin pick and smart FA and drafting fourth rounder last year they retooled their line. 

The colts also added two rookies while maintaining vets on OL.

this isn’t too hard to understand. But you simply stated a falsehood. I’m sure it as a mistake, so just say it was. It’s not semantics. They did recently draft an OT I first and he played very well in his rookie year

13 minutes ago, Falcanuck said:

In what world is picking a RB in the second copying the colts?

See first and third picks or don’t. Your choice

3 minutes ago, MSalmon said:

See first and third picks or don’t. Your choice

Does not = copying Colts. A RB there is just useless and goes against their model. 

1 hour ago, MSalmon said:

Saffold is aging and and another trash pick up. Every year it’s the same song about we have to have DTs. Every year they fall.

He's 30 and a stud. Not quite on par with saying Alex Mack is a trash pick up, but close.

And a DT in the 5th in this class is an iffy idea man.

1 hour ago, MSalmon said:

Why no rb in the second? Particularly if you want size, lateral ability and violence. We’ve spent picks on rb in third and fourth recently, a second for a guy like snell could be possible.

im not sure. I like ford inside, bu he’s a good RT as well. Deiter can play both RT and G as well. Part of me thinks Schraeder will improve greatly if we solidify the G positions. I know Mack will. 

I rewatched Schraeder some and he had no G support

I like Ford at OG, as well.  Our FO will have to carefully work him out to see if he can actually play out of a 3-point stance and stay low and balanced.  I think Deiter is also a very good OG prospect (though his Wisconsin pedigree gives me pause).  

Snell is a nice RB, but I don't think there is anything special about him (at the NFL level).  I could be wrong, but there are plenty of tough college RB's that simply don't excel in the NFL.  I would like to see us look at a better value pick in the second round.  I don't have an alternative, as I am early in the draft research process.

Schwarzwald and MSalmon like this

1 hour ago, Falcanuck said:

In what world is picking a RB in the second copying the colts?

all their RBs were taken in the first round

Posted (edited)

While we should be creative and flexible with our draft board; prior to UFA start & completion, it’s doubtful we spend high on a RB. We need LOS help. Ito and Hill would be serviceable with the WRs we have for Matt with a good OC and OL. If you take a RB the FO is saying Freeman is done.

We probably need to go OL/DL as both of our major moves in both FA and the Draft by round 3 on each. 2 high investments in OL and DL. You figure out the board by draft day and see who falls to 14 and possibly trade back into lower 1st or high 2nd.

PS: Doubtful on Schraeder at OG being as tall as he is and swapping positions post age 30.

Edited by Ergo Proxy

NFL is copycat league, yet the Colts RB is a 4th rounder. Spending a 2nd on a RB is stupid. No way around it. 

I think Ford has a very good chance of being our pick at #14 though. I called us going WR last year well before the draft. DQ is most likely going to spend his cap capital on DL in free agency.  

I can easily see them signing Saffold or Turner to take over the LG spot then using the two top 50 picks we have to fix the right side. From there, you've still got a third, two fourths, and two fifths to play with. Given DQ's penchant for finding guys in that range, having the OL "solved" and the DL "solved" you can go BPA again. That's when you can take your RB if you want. 

2 hours ago, TheDirtyWordII said:

I’m surprised there hasn’t been more groundswell here for Ford.  Most seem focused on DT and while it certainly is a need, I see OL at the same level of priority (if not more when you consider snaps available).

Colts are a blueprint to pay attention to.

I think the reason being is alot have this as being one of the deepest dline classes to come out in awhile.Potentially there’s probably 5-6 guys that go top 12 picks.

I see that as an advantage for us as that will mean guys like Ford Little or Williams fall to where we pick.

Its a good thing.

Jpg428gggg, Schwarzwald and Vandy like this

1 minute ago, vel said:

NFL is copycat league, yet the Colts RB is a 4th rounder. Spending a 2nd on a RB is stupid. No way around it. 

I think Ford has a very good chance of being our pick at #14 though. I called us going WR last year well before the draft. DQ is most likely going to spend his cap capital on DL in free agency.  

I can easily see them signing Saffold or Turner to take over the LG spot then using the two top 50 picks we have to fix the right side. From there, you've still got a third, two fourths, and two fifths to play with. Given DQ's penchant for finding guys in that range, having the OL "solved" and the DL "solved" you can go BPA again. That's when you can take your RB if you want. 

I prefer this coa 

1 hour ago, Sidecar Falcon said:

Most mocks have Ford going high 2nd round. The top tier OL is Jonah Williams who I think should be a middle 1st round player. He’ll get drafted higher than that but I think it’s a reach. Ford at 14 would be a reach in my opinion. This is a very weak OL class. 

I’m aware FA is dependent on what teams offer their respective players new contracts. It’s still first before the draft. You presume that Ford will be better than the aforementioned players in the NFL. Williams should heal fine from his injury but it’s never a guarantee (Same can be said for Allen). He can play either Guard or Tackle so he could be a valuable asset. Haven’t seen anything on the Bears negotiating with Massie. Can you link what you read?

Good thing about these players are that they don’t have to be “great”, they just have to be good. 

Come on Sidecar, you know Most early mocks are crap.

i like Ford’s nastiness. He looks like a 1st rounder to me. 

With that said, I also want a bad *** DT early in this draft. Give me Ford and Dexter Lawrence and I’m a happy Guy.

Sidecar Falcon likes this

2 hours ago, atljbo said:

at Tackle what we are paying our guys... You have to be on that island blocking ... To me that was the biggest Strenth Schraeder brought..... I just cant see us keep him unless he takes a big time restructure.... Coach saying scrub everything except center and LT was a death blow to him....

I dont think  coach meant everybody but them are gone but a dude cant be on your OLine counting 7+ mil on the cap and your coach just basically said he cant count on you.

Naw.. we are not spending a 2 on a RB....lol... We just dont need too... We have good backs ,... I do think will have to add a back with some speed somewhere in the mid to late rounds with coleman going

Money it’s exactly how I’m looking at.

In this draft he did I’d swap out RB and go get my DE in that spot in the 2nd.

I saw enough at the end of the season in Hills ability to get down hill and close out games with some big runs to turn me off going for a RB this early.Heck even Langford had some nice touches down the stretch to give me more optimism at the position and have some comfort in letting Coleman test the market.

And also, this is what the "tankers" were arguing for prior to the 3 game win streak. The Colts had the #3 pick, which they used to trade back and pick up two more second round picks. They got Nelson, Braden Smith, and Turay with those picks. Nelson and Smith solidified their OL. They were able to maximize that lost season and turned it into what they are today. The whole "momentum" argument is stupid because it doesn't carry over year to year. The key changes to the roster weren't on the 2017 Colts team. They ended 2017 1-5. If they ended that season on a 4-2 run, they miss out on Nelson and Leonard, two All Pros that completely changed the complexion of their team. 

So copycat league all you want...

1 hour ago, DMT11 said:

Actually this year's tackle class is considered better than last year's, not sure about guards , although last year was **** 

Also when did the saints start "investing" in thier oline , I KEEP HEARING THIS PLEASE STOP PEST WAS DRAFTED IN 2015. Unger and peat have been thier for awhile, they finally have a good line thyeve put together , only took 4 or 5 years , lol in promise your not waiting that long

Let's stick to the colts if we're talking about this

Saints continually invest in their OL...it’s the one thing they do better than us. 

Bigbenright likes this

2 hours ago, Falconsin2012 said:

Missed the part about moving Schraeder inside.  Sorry, hard pass on that.  He is built to be a ZBS Tackle, not a Guard.   That would be a dissster IMO

If they were to give him a go at G I think they would have near the end of the season.For me right now he’s the guy upfront that’s history.I mean they even went Beadles and Sambrailo as a new right side combo and Schraeder never got his spot back for me that’s his death nail right there.

Hes a guy they can cut with the least amount of pain for the biggest gain cap wise.

For me after watching Ford & Samia battle it out and do very well against that Bama front I’d love to see the OU right side in Falcons uniforms.

FalconsIn2012 likes this

1 hour ago, jfalconsp said:

Grab a vet DT in FA - McCoy would be nice. Re-sign Grady and Irvin, restructure Beasley. 

Go RT in round 1, best DL available round 2, OG round 3, BPA rest of draft.

Whose playing the 2 base end positions against the Run ?

Outside of that I could live with this off season.

11 minutes ago, vel said:

And also, this is what the "tankers" were arguing for prior to the 3 game win streak. The Colts had the #3 pick, which they used to trade back and pick up two more second round picks. They got Nelson, Braden Smith, and Turay with those picks. Nelson and Smith solidified their OL. They were able to maximize that lost season and turned it into what they are today. The whole "momentum" argument is stupid because it doesn't carry over year to year. The key changes to the roster weren't on the 2017 Colts team. They ended 2017 1-5. If they ended that season on a 4-2 run, they miss out on Nelson and Leonard, two All Pros that completely changed the complexion of their team. 

I get the tanker argument, but idk. It'd be nice to have higher picks, but I doubt Dimi would trade down regardless. I kinda felt down the stretch that it'd be gravy whether we won or lost.

12 minutes ago, vel said:

so the end of 2015 didnt carry into 2016?