falcons007

Can Matt Ryan carry this team like other QB in NFL?

210 posts in this topic

4 minutes ago, falcons007 said:

It’s easy. Brees would retire 5-6 years before Ryan. I will vote Brees first and then Ryan when he retires.

And you're correct, what Ryan is able to do those last 5 years will determine alot. Ryan's got to be in the top 3 qb's the rest of his career if he wants to be jn the HOF. A Superbowl win would also help 

falcons007 likes this

Just now, ⚡Slumerican⚡ said:

And you're correct, what Ryan is able to do those last 5 years will determine alot. Ryan's got to be in the top 3 qb's the rest of his career if he wants to be jn the HOF. A Superbowl win would also help 

Next 5 years of high level play should get him in to HOF. He doesn’t have to be top 3. Win a ring or another MVP and finish top 7 in most categories will get him.  He is leading among QB in first 11 years in almost every category except the TDs. 

Geneaut and Stryka like this

Just now, falcons007 said:

Next 5 years of high level play should get him in to HOF. He doesn’t have to be top 3. Win a ring or another MVP and finish top 7 in most categories will get him.  He is leading among QB in first 11 years in almost every category except the TDs. 

We need a Superbowl win and we've got to be in the playoffs 4 out of the next 5 seasons. I want Ryan to be in the HOF, but I don't want him to barely squeeze his way in.. I'd rather it be without a doubt. 

Just now, ⚡Slumerican⚡ said:

We need a Superbowl win and we've got to be in the playoffs 4 out of the next 5 seasons. I want Ryan to be in the HOF, but I don't want him to barely squeeze his way in.. I'd rather it be without a doubt. 

It won’t matter. Two MVPs or a SB with one MVP and top 7 finish will get him in to HOF.

⚡Slumerican⚡ likes this

21 minutes ago, ⚡Slumerican⚡ said:

You know what's wrong with our fan base? is that we have fans that are okay with being mediocre... and that's who all the people are that are commenting against me just to let you know...

Yeah, I'd like to have a real Hall of Fame quarterback myself, not someone who just barely makes it to the point to where you question whether they belong there or not.

Factz.

1 hour ago, ⚡Slumerican⚡ said:

As per nfl stats for 2018

Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers, Big Ben, Drew Brees, Carson Wentz, Russell Wilson, Pat Mchomes

2017 Ryan was #5

2016 yes, Ryan was #1

2015 Ryan was #5

So one year Ryan held the #1 qb rating.. Imo Ryan needs to be #1 or at least #2 on average to be HOF material.. Being in the top 10 dosnt = HOF imo.. Not when you have that many other qb's out performing you.. 

Ryan's a good qb and I'm a big fan of Ryan, but I'm also realistic about where he stacks up in the league. He's definitely the best performing qb atlanta has ever had.. But he's not done enough to be considered HOF

Yet again we have a poster making claims and unable to back it up. 

1st off you claimed there are 9 QB's better than Ryan on a yearly basis. You got called out on it and were unable to give 9 better QB's.

Then in an effort to save face you threw out a list of names claiming to have better stats, when only 2 of the 7 guys you listed actually did so. 

Geneaut and Ergo Proxy like this

9 minutes ago, RubberDucky said:

Yet again we have a poster making claims and unable to back it up. 

1st off you claimed there are 9 QB's better than Ryan on a yearly basis. You got called out on it and were unable to give 9 better QB's.

Then in an effort to save face you threw out a list of names claiming to have better stats, when only 2 of the 7 guys you listed actually did so. 

Argue with nfl.com then, how to our fans deny stats? Ya'll put blinders on 

Posted (edited)

31 minutes ago, ⚡Slumerican⚡ said:

Or you could just look up the players before making baseless claims, because NFL.com clearly shows only Mahomes and Brees as putting up better overall stats this year.

Edited by RubberDucky

Matt is a great QB and has been through multiple coaches and schemes. It's s a team sport. And that's the bottom line. 

But I do get a kick out of TAFT flyby trolls claiming we need Bridgewater or RG3 or name any other running QB and trade Matt. When Matt is retired, people will learn how hard it is to be good for a majority of seasons like Matt has been. 

There are multiple franchises that can never find a QB. The list is double digits. We are lucky to have a good QB in Matt. 

Falconsfan567 and Ergo Proxy like this

1 hour ago, ⚡Slumerican⚡ said:

As per nfl stats for 2018

Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers, Big Ben, Drew Brees, Carson Wentz, Russell Wilson, Pat Mchomes

2017 Ryan was #5

2016 yes, Ryan was #1

2015 Ryan was #5

So one year Ryan held the #1 qb rating.. Imo Ryan needs to be #1 or at least #2 on average to be HOF material.. Being in the top 10 dosnt = HOF imo.. Not when you have that many other qb's out performing you.. 

Ryan's a good qb and I'm a big fan of Ryan, but I'm also realistic about where he stacks up in the league. He's definitely the best performing qb atlanta has ever had.. But he's not done enough to be considered HOF

You must be cherry picking some 2018 stats. Wentz? Wilson? Come on. 

Ergo Proxy likes this

10 minutes ago, falcons007 said:

Man the refs are doing home cooking. There is no hold.

Flacco would have given the Ravens a better chance.. It's clear, Ravens are done with Flac.. Jackson it is going forward.. If I was a Raven fan I'd be pi$$ed

falcons007 likes this

On 1/5/2019 at 10:16 PM, WisFalcon said:

Gets better every season despite many OCs and systems. Has the sad record for highest QB rating in a super bowl loss, regular season game and losing season.

consistently has done plenty to carry the team but is living proof that no matter how great the QB plays, the team sport can still lose and fans will blame the QB.

i can’t wait, sadly, for Matt to retire and we get scheet QB after scheet QB.

First of all, really good response

My opinion is, Compared to the QBs listed, I feel the difference is that Matt Ryan hasn’t had the freedom to change or call his own plays with the likes of brees, Manning, Brady etc. He’s falsely labeled as a system QB because he’s never really had that freedom, except with maybe koetter and the hurry up. 

Falconsfan567 and WisFalcon like this

On 1/5/2019 at 10:03 PM, Dirtytrollbird said:

No... He never had the talent.. He is a system QB. He isn't raw and natural talent like Aaron Rodgers or Brees.. Tom Brady believe it or not in my opinion is a GREAT system QB that got a good break by having a great coach and team players around him along with great defense over the years without that Brady wouldn't be able to... I've always felt this way Brady it's just fortunate... Matt Ryan is not a talented quarterback he's a good system quarterback.

I agree - Ryan is basically a slightly worse Brady.  Brady cannot do the same things as guys like Rodgers, Romo, or even Brees.  But if you block well for him and get average athletes who always execute the plays correctly, guys like Brady and Ryan can really thrive.  They rely on a systemized approach so you need to make the system as leak-proof as possible.

The problem is we haven't done that.  We spent our money on high priced guys like Julio, Freeman, Sanu.  They are great players but what we really need is great pass protection and run of the mill receivers.  That's how you win with guys like Ryan and Brady.  The Patriots have clearly put that blueprint out there for the past 10 years but nobody really follows it.  We are in the unique position of having a similar player to Brady, but only have really blocked like the Patriots do once -- in 2016 when we literally had no injuries on OL until the playoffs/SB.

jay1k2 likes this

18 hours ago, ⚡Slumerican⚡ said:

Flacco would have given the Ravens a better chance.. It's clear, Ravens are done with Flac.. Jackson it is going forward.. If I was a Raven fan I'd be pi$$ed

With the way the Ravens OL played yesterday, Flacco would've been destroyed.   At least LoJack has an X-factor and almost brought them back because of it.

Really dont see how there will be any debate on Ryan and the HOF. Dude is on pace to finish his career in top 5 i  almost everything alltime. Barring some godforsaken injury or depreciation Ryan is a virtual lock. Him and Julio are HOF talent as we speak. Dude just keeps setting records. 2 of last 3 seasons have been 35 TD and 5:1 TD/INT ration. Not many QBs can say that. Only 3 can say they passed for 4k 8 years in a row. Led the 7th best offense in history. 40k + yards and 250 TDs are fringe top 10 alltime as we speak. I think he gets a superbowl and possible MVP before he hangs it up but too many of you guys underappreciate Ryan. Elite by all standards and thats without bookend OTs like Rogers or the same system like Brady or the same play caller for 12 years like Brees. Dude literally has made 3 OCs head coaches and if we were to retain Sark he would have definitley got some looks. Im thankful for Ryan a bonfide HOFer. Some of you guys too young to remember falcons football in 80s and 90s. Sheesh. 

Geneaut and Ergo Proxy like this

On ‎1‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 10:04 PM, falcons007 said:

What system? He played great in 3 different systems with 4 different coordinators. Rodgers played under same system From the day he became starter.

PREACH!!!

Ergo Proxy, Geneaut and falcons007 like this

2 hours ago, DogIsYourName said:

I agree - Ryan is basically a slightly worse Brady.  Brady cannot do the same things as guys like Rodgers, Romo, or even Brees.  But if you block well for him and get average athletes who always execute the plays correctly, guys like Brady and Ryan can really thrive.  They rely on a systemized approach so you need to make the system as leak-proof as possible.

The problem is we haven't done that.  We spent our money on high priced guys like Julio, Freeman, Sanu.  They are great players but what we really need is great pass protection and run of the mill receivers.  That's how you win with guys like Ryan and Brady.  The Patriots have clearly put that blueprint out there for the past 10 years but nobody really follows it.  We are in the unique position of having a similar player to Brady, but only have really blocked like the Patriots do once -- in 2016 when we literally had no injuries on OL until the playoffs/SB.

What the Patriots are doing seems like common sense...I don't understand why other teams haven't caught on. Patriots have been doing this since Belichick have been there. Get guys on offensive and defensive line that can play at a high level. Everywhere else just have a few competent to above average players that can execute consistently. They don't need to be athletic freaks. You don't need a Julio Jones to win a superbowl...You need to be strong in the trenches!

4 hours ago, DogIsYourName said:

You are the first post on this thread to respond to me in a way that it sounds like you actually watch the Falcons instead of just being a fan of Matt Ryan

DogIsYourName likes this

3 hours ago, jay1k2 said:

What the Patriots are doing seems like common sense...I don't understand why other teams haven't caught on. Patriots have been doing this since Belichick have been there. Get guys on offensive and defensive line that can play at a high level. Everywhere else just have a few competent to above average players that can execute consistently. They don't need to be athletic freaks. You don't need a Julio Jones to win a superbowl...You need to be strong in the trenches!

Except the Patriots arent strong in the trenches....

The Patriots' approach to winning football has changed a dozen times over the course of Belichick's tenure there. There's no Belichick Blueprint to be copied....unless you can convince the dude himself and his staff to come coach your team. 

He's a savant. 

On 1/6/2019 at 3:31 PM, ⚡Slumerican⚡ said:

lol when the "stats" arent real, its pretty easy, TBH. 

On 1/6/2019 at 6:16 AM, Dirtytrollbird said:

at the beginning of the year i was saying that I wanted to get rid of sarkisian but after a few game sarkisian made me a Believer to believe he was a good offensive coordinator and I never went back to saying otherwise. so you can get off of that argument, guy... I Stand My Ground, Matt Ryan sucks! he does not have any talent and unlike you and othee bandwagon cowards I Stand My Ground, like a man!

"Stand your ground" all you want. You're still wrong. And you're an idiot

On 1/6/2019 at 4:27 PM, ⚡Slumerican⚡ said:

That’s extremely short sighted. It’s not like Jackson were replacing Ryan.

They knew Flacco was a marginal QB and wanted a chance on LJ.

The way it was handled this year is debatable but LJ was their future. Might just take him a couple years.

I believe many QBs benefit from studying behind a starter for 1-2 years.

Their mentality can get shaken if thrown into the fire without proper guidance and coaching to their strengths while shoring up the weaknesses.