Falcons Fan MVP

What if Darrel Bevell became our offensive coordinator?

55 posts in this topic

Don't know if I want him or not...

But I know he will commit to the run game... something we need

With an improved line.. our strength which is play action will be killer

When we run the ball effectively we are unstoppable....

Whoever we get ...I want to see the rock ran with Impunity....

8 minutes ago, RING OF HONOR said:

Don't know if I want him or not...

But I know he will commit to the run game... something we need

With an improved line.. our strength which is play action will be killer

When we run the ball effectively we are unstoppable....

Whoever we get ...I want to see the rock ran with Impunity....

That’s the thing Bevell wasn’t the one responsible for the run game. Tom Cable controlled that while Bevell took care of the pass.

ShadyRef likes this

Just now, Cole World said:

That’s the thing Bevell wasn’t the one responsible for the run game. Tom Cable controlled that while Bevell took care of the pass.

****..... disregard my post then:huh:

Seriously... I didn't know that..

Cole World, Ergo Proxy and ShadyRef like this

Posted (edited)

2 hours ago, Cole World said:

Darrell Bevell wasn’t the Seahawks’ problem, but Tom Cable might be

The Seahawks have drafted 15 offensive linemen since 2010, more than any NFL team. Just one has received a contract extension. Cable evaluated and was tasked with developing them — but rarely seemed to produce a formidable front. And yet the blame falls on Bevell?

By 
Seattle Times columnist

Editor’s note: After this column was posted, Tom Cable was fired. Here’s the latest.

With apologies to Howard Schultz and Clay Bennett, Darrell Bevell might have been the most loathed sports figure in Seattle over the past three years. Ever since he denied Marshawn Lynch the ball at the goal line vs. the Patriots, the offensive coordinator’s name has been synonymous with failure and frustration among Seahawks fans.

Seemed anyone with a Twitter account would blame Bevell for every offensive shortcoming the Seahawks experienced since Super Bowl XLIX. And though some of the criticism was warranted, I’m here to tell you Bevell was not the problem.

But offensive-line coach Tom Cable might be.

The Seahawks, however, felt otherwise, as they fired the Bevell late Tuesday night. After seven seasons, two Super Bowl appearances and one Lombardi Trophy, the offensive coordinator departed with no immediate landing spot in sight.

Most fans, it seems, are rejoicing — as indicated by a Twitter poll in which 63 percent of the respondents labeled his ouster as “great news.” What they don’t realize, though, is that nobody in his position would have been able to do great things.

Offensively speaking, the difference between the Seahawks’ Super Bowl runs and the past two seasons has been their ability to run the ball. They had the NFL’s highest-paid offensive line in 2013, the eighth-highest-paid line in 2011, and Marshawn Lynch running behind it both years.

Cable received mountains of credit for developing a bruising ground game that wore down opponents and allowed the Seahawks to win the war of attrition. But without that top-dollar talent, Cable since then has not produced anything resembling top-dollar results.

Did you know the Seahawks have drafted 15 offensive linemen since 2010? That’s more than any NFL team. Do you know how many of those linemen have received a contract extension? One — center Justin Britt.

Picks such as John Moffitt, Terry Poole and Rees Odhiambo have essentially disintegrated, and first-rounder Germain Ifedi led the NFL in penalties this season. Hyped acquisitions such as Garry Gilliam and Jamarcus Webb have already been forgotten about.

Cable evaluated these guys and was tasked with developing them — but rarely seemed to produce a formidable front.

And yet … the blame falls on Bevell?

Remember, Bevell was calling the plays in 2015 when Russell Wilson led the league in passer rating despite being tied for third in sacks taken. The Seahawks also were in the top three in big-play percentage every year from 2012-2015 (a big-play being a rush of more than 10 yards and a pass of more than 25), which at least somewhat the byproduct of play-calling.

It’s not Bevell’s fault that Seattle has gone through 16 running backs over the past three seasons. It’s not Bevell’s fault that Seattle’s line was ranked the worst in the league in 2016 and trended toward the bottom most of this season. And it’s not Bevell’s fault that the Seahawks could have finished 12-4 had Blair Walsh converted three makeable field-goal attempts.

I’m not saying Bevell is a genius. He never seemed to figure out how to properly utilize tight end Jimmy Graham, and the fact that the Seahawks were so atrocious in the first quarter this season is inexcusable. Having said that — they almost always figured out a way to move the ball as the game went on.

It isn’t surprising, though, that Carroll would part with Bevell and not Cable based on his news conference last week. Two days after the Seahawks’ season ended, Carroll stressed the importance of re-establishing themselves as a run-first team — and Cable has been the foreman of that operation for seven years.

There’s trust there. There’s history there. But ask yourself honestly — is there a future there?

In that news conference, Carroll cited teams such as the Eagles and Rams as proof that rushing the ball is the key to offensive success. What he didn’t mention is that Eagles quarterback Carson Wentz might have won MVP if he didn’t get hurt, or that Rams QB Jared Goff emerged as a top-tier signal-caller. And he certainly didn’t mention that, in the past 10 years, three Super Bowl teams finished last in the NFL in rushing.

Football isn’t about leaning on what has worked for you in the past. It’s about adapting to the tools that surround you in the present. And based on the personnel they have, the Seahawks aren’t a run-first team. They just aren’t.

Still, it’s sports tradition to pick a scapegoat after a disappointing season, and the Seahawks just picked Bevell. The move will pacify their fans, but it won’t fix their issues.

Edited by Falconsin2012
mountain_jim3 and Cole World like this

4 minutes ago, Goober Pyle said:

I shared this tweet in a different thread on OC choices. Since the scuttlebutt is that part of the reason Sark was let go was because of how the offense fared against playoff teams, I thought it was interesting. 

7CB0FAB8-DC49-4A6D-A26F-0D47AA723CF8.jpeg

It’s not a big surprise.  Kubiak wasn’t good in 5 of his last 6 years calling plays

Posted (edited)

After Seahawks just lost, I visited their forum & here is the 1st post from the MOD

Annual reminder.

Pete is the reason we win and the reason we lose. He's done amazing work with our personnel turnover and I'm excited to see whom we get in the draft/offseason and whom we develop from the existing roster.

But he's also the other edge of the sword. Today he placed more value in consistency and "playing football our way" than he did winning. He doesn't like to adapt, and in the NFL that kills you. Run, run, run against a defense stacking the box, on a 6-0 streak at home, that's #5 in DVOA or something ridiculous like that.

Schotty did what he was told (a few boneheaded calls notwithstanding). Bevell did what he was told.

They won, but not enough.

Edited by Falconsin2012

Yup the Seahawks don't let Russell play, it's like Pete has no idea how good of a  talent he has at QB.

3 hours ago, Wjcorner said:

Every seahawk fan I know has hated him...think Russel’s mother or uncle or father or something hated him too lol. I saw some examples of his passing concepts being pretty stagnant throughout the years...I think people would continue scapegoating the OC because he’s not a savant level guy but *shrug* seems like the only way to get that is make your HC offensive minded.

EDIT: Or luck out with a young 2 year rental like we did.

I bet they wish they had him tonight. 

it wouldn't be the end of the world like everyone here thinks. never knew a seahawk fan to directly **** on him, most of that blame goes to Tom Cable coaching the offensive line to be a bunch of invalids. Only reason anyone here has for not hiring Bevell is "BUT HE DIDNT RUN THE BALL WAH"

9 minutes ago, A-TowN.- said:

I bet they wish they had him tonight. 

Yeahhhhh, Schottenheimer living off his pop’s offense that was already put out to pasture back in the early 00s. Crazy how he is coordinating offenses 

Honeslty, I don’t know. I sort of want Matt in a WCO still but going back to Koetter could work.

Both can feature deep timing based pass games. That is sometimes the reason for sacks looking for the aggressive play but takes time to develop. We took a lot of sacks in 2016; I don’t know about total hits on QB, but was balanced by a lethal run game and were some sacks from the under C plays Kyle called. It helps PA but can hurt QB being closer to the LOS at the snap.

So, to me fix the OL with the new OC that;not only features weapons well off of one another, but with nuanced in game timing. Kyle was very slight of hand and manipulated the play of the defense for what he wanted to do. That’s why it’s seen as blind arrogance. He just was a guy high functioning in a mind game that he became detached from in the SB after we reached 28/hurt players vs still fresh NE D. Lost sight of situational calls for the game itself; instead of Xs and Os.

We saw in 2017 a change to a deliberate, methodical offense that played a more controlled game. Of course, when OL crumbled down the stretch our run game and RZ issues came to the fore.

Problem lies in recognizing when to stop the fluid situation between complimentary styles and instead make specific game on the line calls; rather than just believing in your players to make the win on aggressiveness; while the numbers say you win playing to the percentage of less risk in situational football. It’s good to believe in your players. It’s bad to do it blindly to the situation and make stupid decisions as a result.

Our D was no longer stopping NE. It had the pick 6 but several long drives on them in that first half; yet had some timely plays to force a FG and the aforementioned INT TD.

Boils down to can we get a coach that not only helps solve the run game balance but will they stand up to Quinn if DQ is getting impulsive on trusting his D.

Just seemed very broken before with Kyle. We stay true to identity but not smart situational football. We need a guy that will respect Matt or the game itself.

I still wish Bryant would’ve been trotted out there for the super long FG. Even after the botched meltdown. That D wasn’t going to stop the Pats tired. Came close on a couple plays then 1 miracle catch later.

We trusted our D more than Bryant.

That ultimately could end Quinn’s career here. This next OC; and the STs hire as well, must be a home run. Not even a flash in the pan.

Fix the LOS. Fix the run game. That will make everyone feel better regardless of who gets the job.

Goober Pyle likes this

4 hours ago, JDaveG said:

I’ve said the same. Shanahan was obsessive about route depth, drop depth, timing, footwork, leverage. He coached the **** out of that offense. Struggles in 2015 became magic in 2016. 

Whoever we hire, I hope they are that detail oriented and work the players that hard. Dan Reeves once said the difference between winning and losing is doing something right versus doing it EXACTLY right. I agree 100%. 

I agreed i need someone just as obsessed as shanny was about his offense..never forget when shanny picked matt off then broke down the why and what he needed to do better . regardless of what happen man i wish shanny would have given us another year or two.i feel we would have gotten back honestly shanny is just a tough act to follow and i dont think folks will be satisfied if the next oc isnt his level of detail or ability 

JDaveG likes this

21 minutes ago, falconfreak1 said:

Don’t you think we would have him if they really wanted him. I don’t think he is the preference. Maybe the contingency plan. 

Who do you think the main targets are for the Falcons?

4 hours ago, RoddyWhite84 said:

I agreed i need someone just as obsessed as shanny was about his offense..never forget when shanny picked matt off then broke down the why and what he needed to do better . regardless of what happen man i wish shanny would have given us another year or two.i feel we would have gotten back honestly shanny is just a tough act to follow and i dont think folks will be satisfied if the next oc isnt his level of detail or ability 

There was a lot of people mad at Shanny after the Super Bowl. There may have been some dissension in the locker room if he stayed. 

Ergo Proxy likes this

I think Bevell is more than capable but are we going to have a similar situation with Sark. In his first year learning our offense instead of bringing his playbook to the table. 

Like some one said earlier if we don’t fix the offensive line it won’t matter who the OC is.

Ergo Proxy likes this

56 minutes ago, Falcons Fan MVP said:

There was a lot of people mad at Shanny after the Super Bowl. There may have been some dissension in the locker room if he stayed. 

Probably but they would have gotten over that if they won the super bowl the following year.winning cures everything 

12 hours ago, osiruz said:

I think he will do great, hard to screw up with Marshawn Lynch at the 1 yd line

FTFY lol

I'd rather hav emy high school coach running this offense. I'm no tkidding. Bevell is a (I used a word here that required my mouth to be washed out).

12 hours ago, Falcons Fan MVP said:

Darrel Bevell appears to be the odds on favorite to be our offensive coordinator in 2019. Let's say that happens. How well do you guys think Bevell would do as our offensive coordinator? Do you think he would be a good fit system wise? Do you think he would fit in culturally with the brotherhood? Would he and Matt Ryan be a good match? Would our running game mesh with his style? Would it take 2 years to adjust or would the offense click by mid season or so? What your guys opinion?

Well draft a bigger back and run more

2 hours ago, Pacific_Falcon said:

FTFY lol

I'd rather hav emy high school coach running this offense. I'm no tkidding. Bevell is a (I used a word here that required my mouth to be washed out).

Your high school coach didn't feature in 2 superbowls and win one. Lots of teams pass from the 1 and get intercepted.

6 hours ago, Xfactor said:

I think Bevell is more than capable but are we going to have a similar situation with Sark. In his first year learning our offense instead of bringing his playbook to the table. 

Like some one said earlier if we don’t fix the offensive line it won’t matter who the OC is.

I'm disappointed in that. I thought when Sark got fired we had Kubiak lined up or something. We don't need more growing pains. If o line got better I think Sark might have had a very good year 3. Perhaps we should have left it alone.