Falcons Fan MVP

What if Darrel Bevell became our offensive coordinator?

55 posts in this topic

Darrel Bevell appears to be the odds on favorite to be our offensive coordinator in 2019. Let's say that happens. How well do you guys think Bevell would do as our offensive coordinator? Do you think he would be a good fit system wise? Do you think he would fit in culturally with the brotherhood? Would he and Matt Ryan be a good match? Would our running game mesh with his style? Would it take 2 years to adjust or would the offense click by mid season or so? What your guys opinion?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

I’d be happy.  If Quinn wants to keep the system, he is the best fit outside of Kubiak.   And he has shown no interest in being an HC so Ryan could have long term stability at OC.

Comparing Koetter vs Bevell: 2012-2015

2012:

- Falcons Rank: 12th DVOA  & spent $62 million on offense

- Seahawks Rank: 4th & spent $63 million on offense.

2013:

- Falcons Rank: 14th & spent $60 million

- Seahawks Rank: 7th & spent $69 million

2014:

- Falcons Rank: 10th & spent $72 million

- Seahawks Rank: 5th & spent $48 million

2015:

- Falcons Rank: 23rd & spent $66 million

- Seahawks Rank: 1st & spent $51 million

Edited by Falconsin2012

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Every seahawk fan I know has hated him...think Russel’s mother or uncle or father or something hated him too lol. I saw some examples of his passing concepts being pretty stagnant throughout the years...I think people would continue scapegoating the OC because he’s not a savant level guy but *shrug* seems like the only way to get that is make your HC offensive minded.

 

EDIT: Or luck out with a young 2 year rental like we did.

Edited by Wjcorner
Flying Falcon and Vandy like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

4 minutes ago, nolove4thecrook said:

why did he get canned to begin with that's what I'm worried about

In 2016 the Seahawks spent $6,200,000 on their entire OL.  We just spent $11,100,000 on our Center alone.  Good recipe to handcuff your OC

Edited by Falconsin2012
Rhodaric, JDaveG and Vandy like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Falconsin2012 said:

In 2016 the Seahawks spent $6,200,000 on their entire OL.  We just spent $11,100,000 on our Center alone.  Good recipe to handcuff your OC

He might be a good fit here with Quinn running the D it might be Seahawks 2013 all over again. We hope!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Heres the truth....

 

It really doesnt matter. If we build an elite OL, we have the pieces on offense to be top 5 no matter who runs it. If the OL doesnt get taken care of, it isnt going to matter who leads us to a mediocre offense either.

If Bevell or anyone else walks into the interview and says "I'm, not interested in becoming a scapegoat for your inability to build a Line. If you are committed to getting better up front and are willing to work w/ me to invest the resources into making it better, I'm game. Otherwise, I'm removing my hat from the ring." Then hire him.

 

Fix the effing line.

Edited by RubberDucky

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

24 minutes ago, RubberDucky said:

Heres the truth....

 

It really doesnt matter. If we build an elite OL, we have the pieces on offense to be top 5 no matter who runs it. If the OL doesnt get taken care of, it isnt going to matter who leads us to a mediocre offense either.

If Bevell or anyone else walks into the interview and says "I'm, not interested in becoming a scapegoat for your inability to build a Line. If you are committed to getting better up front and are willing to work w/ me to invest the resources into making it better, I'm game. Otherwise, I'm removing my hat from the ring." Then hire him.

 

Fix the effing line.

I can’t really agree.  We had an elite OL last year, graded out 2nd best in the NFL, yet we averaged 21 ppg.  We need an OC who is OCD in his attention to detail...that will get our production in line with our talent.

Edited by Falconsin2012

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Falconsin2012 said:

I can’t really agree.  We had an elite OL last year, graded out 2nd best in the NFL, yet we averaged 21 ppg.  You need an OC who is OCD in his attention to detail

Last year was a perfect storm of a lot of issues. 1st Year OC who was brand new to the NFL as a whole, a lot of player miscues and dropped passes, negative turnover margin, Couldnt run the ball in the red zone at all. Plus I dont buy into the OL grades. Eye ball test tells me we havent had a good OL since '16.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Falcons Fan MVP said:

Darrel Bevell appears to be the odds on favorite to be our offensive coordinator in 2019. Let's say that happens. How well do you guys think Bevell would do as our offensive coordinator? Do you think he would be a good fit system wise? Do you think he would fit in culturally with the brotherhood? Would he and Matt Ryan be a good match? Would our running game mesh with his style? Would it take 2 years to adjust or would the offense click by mid season or so? What your guys opinion?

I  would like to see this guy as the OC to but that's not gonna happen.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pete_Mangurian

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, RubberDucky said:

Last year was a perfect storm of a lot of issues. 1st Year OC who was brand new to the NFL as a whole, a lot of player miscues and dropped passes, negative turnover margin, Couldnt run the ball in the red zone at all. Plus I dont buy into the OL grades. Eye ball test tells me we havent had a good OL since '16.

Not saying you’re wrong.  But my point about an OCD OC is that all those seemingly benign miscues start going away.  Calling a good play only matters if the preparation during the week was there to execute it properly on Sundays.  

JMO, but Sark’s weakness was in his attention to detail.  His mind for the game is not up for debate.  He gets it.  Just wasn’t A + at teaching it

PokerSteve likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

5 minutes ago, Falconsin2012 said:

Not saying you’re wrong.  But my point about an OCD OC is that all those seemingly benign miscues start going away.  Calling a good play only matters if the preparation during the week was there to execute it properly on Sundays.  

JMO, but Sark’s weakness was in his attention to detail.  His mind for the game is not up for debate.  He gets it.  Just wasn’t A + at teaching it

I agree w/ you 100%. I really want a young, brilliant mind w/ military-grade attention to detail and will stick around a while, but it looks like it's probably coming down to Bevell or Koetter. While neither fit what I really want, I think either of the 2 could get us to a respectable level if they focus on prioritizing the OL. 

 

 I just want the team as a whole to understand that we are never going to perform to the level we are capable of if they dont get serious about the OL.

Edited by RubberDucky
Falcons In 2012 likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Falconsin2012 said:

JMO, but Sark’s weakness was in his attention to detail.  His mind for the game is not up for debate.  He gets it.  Just wasn’t A + at teaching it

I’ve said the same. Shanahan was obsessive about route depth, drop depth, timing, footwork, leverage. He coached the **** out of that offense. Struggles in 2015 became magic in 2016. 

Whoever we hire, I hope they are that detail oriented and work the players that hard. Dan Reeves once said the difference between winning and losing is doing something right versus doing it EXACTLY right. I agree 100%. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, JDaveG said:

I’ve said the same. Shanahan was obsessive about route depth, drop depth, timing, footwork, leverage. He coached the **** out of that offense. Struggles in 2015 became magic in 2016. 

Whoever we hire, I hope they are that detail oriented and work the players that hard. Dan Reeves once said the difference between winning and losing is doing something right versus doing it EXACTLY right. I agree 100%. 

Never heard that before, but I really like that quote.

JDaveG likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, JDaveG said:

I’ve said the same. Shanahan was obsessive about route depth, drop depth, timing, footwork, leverage. He coached the **** out of that offense. Struggles in 2015 became magic in 2016. 

Whoever we hire, I hope they are that detail oriented and work the players that hard. Dan Reeves once said the difference between winning and losing is doing something right versus doing it EXACTLY right. I agree 100%. 

One of the Niners RB’s who came over from GB said Shanny works on running the ball more in a day than McCarthy did in a week.  OCD OC for me!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, RubberDucky said:

Last year was a perfect storm of a lot of issues. 1st Year OC who was brand new to the NFL as a whole, a lot of player miscues and dropped passes, negative turnover margin, Couldnt run the ball in the red zone at all. Plus I dont buy into the OL grades. Eye ball test tells me we havent had a good OL since '16.

I think our defense in 16 and 17 was better than stats say.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

3 minutes ago, Falcons Fan MVP said:

I think our defense in 16 and 17 was better than stats say.

For sure. With how our D performed in the playoff's, I believe that if Shanny woulda stayed another year we could have been SB champs last year.

 

Edited by RubberDucky

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, RubberDucky said:

For sure. With how our D performed in the playoff's, I believe that if Shanny woulda stayed another year we could have been SB champs last year.

 

Possibly. I'd love to see Shanny's offense vs the Vikings and Eagles. I wonder if Shanny would have done well against the Ravens this season. Their D was all over us.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now