Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FalconFan1st

Colts vs Texans wildcard game

156 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, slickgadawg said:

Dan Reeves used to roll the pocket to defeat those blitzes... Best coach the Falcons ever had...

Did we have back to back winning seasons with Reeves?

Just now, Ergo Proxy said:

Problem is rookie OL don't always produce and development curve is a problem in the NFL. We unfortunately need starting OG in FA; to replace either Fusco or Wes at bare minimum or we are double dipping OL in round 1/2 and hoping we start with 2 rookies. Is that plausible?

Grady about to get a big chunk on that DL but Vic could be an easy way to free up money for other FA moves along the LOS.

I get that .. I'm not thinking we will get all pro... I can name you guys that gave there team goid play this year *** rookies.. I can name you guys that gave were rookies last year and giving there  team good play this year.

I feel like it's lazy to use that cavemen thinking  of not getting good play from rookie olineman... 

**** if you are going by that .. The Ravens skipped on Ridley because they felt like alot of misses has happen on first round WRs... Ridley ended the season with 800+ yards and 10 TDs

4 minutes ago, Falconsfan567 said:

Also this is a pathetic display by Deshaun Watson. This is the way he looked the first 4 games of the season.

Agreed. He looked horrible. There were some catches to be made but he couldn't make the throws 

1 minute ago, atljbo said:

I get that .. I'm not thinking we will get all pro... I can name you guys that gave there team goid play this year *** rookies.. I can name you guys that gave were rookies last year and giving there  team good play this year.

I feel like it's lazy to use that cavemen thinking  of not getting good play from rookie olineman... 

**** if you are going by that .. The Ravens skipped on Ridley because they felt like alot of misses has happen on first round WRs... Ridley ended the season with 800+ yards and 10 TDs

Not what I meant. I'm just saying Quinn said we had 3 holes. Can't draft all 3 this one draft.

We need to protect a rookie with a veteran; and thereby protect the season. Also why a veteran like Fusco is kept around if there is a rough stretch or 'injuries' cuz we know what that's like now.

For the record, I'm fine with taking OL in round 1 or 2 or whatever. We unfortunately need a FA signing like Chester or better that is a solid fit at minimum or better. Pair him with a stud rookie and get the other OG spot solidified somehow; be it the rookie or Ty being back for RT or something. Hey, maybe it's Ty at RT, rook/UFA inside. To me that is bare minimum.

Just now, UGABOZ said:

even our injured roster is better than the colts, something was off 

Colts have been on fire lately the pats will destroy them.

3 minutes ago, Ergo Proxy said:

Not what I meant. I'm just saying Quinn said we had 3 holes. Can't draft all 3 this one draft.

We need to protect a rookie with a veteran; and thereby protect the season. Also why a veteran like Fusco is kept around if there is a rough stretch or 'injuries' cuz we know what that's like now.

For the record, I'm fine with taking OL in round 1 or 2 or whatever. We unfortunately need a FA signing like Chester or better that is a solid fit at minimum or better. Pair him with a stud rookie and get the other OG spot solidified somehow; be it the rookie or Ty being back for RT or something. Hey, maybe it's Ty at RT, rook/UFA inside. To me that is bare minimum.

Ohhhh noooo .. I'm not saying you get 3 guys ... Fusco and wes come and compete for a guard position... bring back ty to compete for the RT position ... Draft a FoRd and Risner... let your talented rookies compete for the starting positions.

You can't get 3 starts..  that'd not realistic... This draft does have talent that I think can  come in and give you good play.... Really talented players.

But I just don't see the talent in this class

I remember every body last year was saying sign Chris Hubbard for 4 mil a year... Dude received a 5 year 37 mil contract last year

Schwarzwald and falconsd56 like this

@atljboWe're on the same page. I just think Mack eventually has a lower cap hit or retires, etc. Not sure if he plays beyond 2019. Maybe 2020? Then where are we? Cheap OL on rookie contracts or no FA signings?

I do agree with maybe Fusco/Wes to compete. Wes did improve down the stretch, but it's also partly due to playing between our PB caliber OL. That's fine as long as RG is a B E A S T capable of plowing the run game. That's what we had in 2016. Chester was a stout veteran that teamed with Mack/Schraeder for a superb right side at running the ball. Chester was weak in pass protection but Schraeder was much better at the time and Andy was elite at pass blocking on the left side to balance it out some.

I don't know what FAs will be feasible, but we may not have a choice. It will need to be timed with Mack's eventual contract fall off. I think what Quinn really meant in the presser was "Only Mack and Matthews have the starting jobs" not necessarily "everyone is cut"

FA is critical this year projecting forward so I'm not for just throwing cash; especially at the wrong player.

But we do have RS, Rocky, possibly Reed and even VB's cap hits projected that aren't staying the same come next year. A good portion of that may be in time for start of UFA.

OL is at a worse place than DL, but not by much. 1 veteran that "could" start is a minimum move and LOS draft picks somewhere 1-3 rnds to follow.

50 minutes ago, atljbo said:

I'm not trying to hear this lucky stuff.. I can point to the saints.. I can point to dallas... 

I don't see it as lucky... if we draft lineman and they come in and give us average play early.... That's a big jump for us..  

2 things tho.

1. There are not alot of impressive O-Lineman in FA.... I'll rather keep Fusco easily looking at this FA Oline

2. The worst move we can make us over pay a guy when we have a top 2 paid LT and a top 2 paid  Center... ... We can't overpay and get average play next year... I feel like we can get that with a rookie... 

We have to start investing money money on the DLine... We gotta start getting developing young not costly talent on the Oline

You pointed to 3 examples of drafting linemen on the first made a difference....I pointed to literally twice as many where first round picks did not make a difference......and those were just top 10 picks....if I expanded to first round then my list is still a he'll of a lot longer than yours.

here is a more local example in 2014 The projected offensive line for the falcons going into teaming camp included 2 first round picks 2 second round picks and a 3rd round pick who we have a big contract to.

Yet here we are 5 years later 

I would rather overpay a vet guard and /or tackle who has shown that he can play rather than over drafting a rookie who barely knows how to get into a 3 point stance

If the Colts play like this at KC next week. They could win.KC has tremendous offense but their defense is sorry. Colts have a balanced team.