FalconFan1st

Colts vs Texans wildcard game

156 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, ATL Fan in the DMV said:

Houston needs to score a TD here to make it a game.

Yep...

Posted (edited)

@atljboRegarding Falcons OL:

We have Mack and Matthews as first round OL. (Mack via FA of course)

We got by on Levitre until injuries derailed him. Our main issue has been OG the past 2 years. Period. Schraeder just fell off a cliff. A value UDFA can only go for so long; but he was made in large part due to Chester enabling RS as being a solid vet RG.

That OL was good enough to win a SB. Don't have to mimick the Colts or invest 1st/2nd in every single spot. Just need results.

For us moving forward we should sign a veteran FA OG this offseason. As in one that is performing and make it worth the contract while drafting an OT in first 2 rounds to be THE guy; at minimum. Ty can be back as the 3rd OT.

I'd be shocked if we don't make a HUGE FA signing at OL and first/second round OL. Sign a guy like McCoy for DT on a rental and/or get a DT in another round. Arguably if we get a vet DT that can perform on a team friendly vet deal instead of garbage like McClain we could ignore DT this draft. DE is arguably a bigger problem with a lead anyway as pass rush has struggled.

Cut the fat to make the big LOS overhaul D O N E. VB can kick rocks if it let us re-sign Irvin and go for McCoy on a short deal (assuming he isn't retiring after Bucs wind up cutting him)

Edited by Ergo Proxy

26 minutes ago, Duff_Man said:

I mean it took 5 years or so....

All you got to do is look at how they've drafted since 2012 when they picked Luck. They tried but it took them a while to find the right players. Shows just how hard it is to pick the right players.

• 2012 - 7th Round - Justin Anderson - Never played an NFL game.
  • 2013 - 3rd Round - Hugh Thornton - Played 3 years with the Colts. Hasn't played an NFL game since 2015.
  • 2013 - 4th Round - Khaled Holmes - Played 3 years with the Colts. Hasn't played an NFL game since 2015.
  • 2014 - 2nd Round - Jack Mewhort - Played 4 years with the Colts. Hasn't played an NFL game since 2017.
  • 2014 - 7th Round - Ulrick John - Played 1 year with the Colts. Hasn't played an NFL game since 2017.
  • 2015 - 7th Round - Denzell Good - Played 4 years with the Colts. Started 2018 with the Colts and then ended up with the Raiders.
  • 2016 - 1st Round - Ryan Kelly - Currently starting C.
  • 2016 - 3rd Round - Le'Raven Clark - Started the season as the starter at LT and was then benched.
  • 2016 - 5th Round - Joe Haeg - Started 6 games for the Colts this year at various positions on the OL.
  • 2016 - 7th Round - Austin Blythe - Played 1 year with the Colts. Started all 16 games for the Rams this year at RG.
  • 2017 - 4th Round - Zach Banner - Never played a game with the Colts. Played in 8 games for the Browns in 2017.
  • 2018 - 1st Round - Quenton Nelson - Started all 16 games at LG for the Colts this year and made the Pro Bowl.
  • 2018 - 3rd Round - Braden Smith - Started 13 games at RT for the Colts this year.

That's a ton of wasted picks on the OL.

falconsd56, Schwarzwald and putnam6 like this

13 minutes ago, atljbo said:

Colts O-Line

LT - ANTHONY CASTONZO (2011 1st round)

LG - Quenton Nelson (2018 1st round)

C -  Ryan Kelly (2016 1st round)

RG - Mark Glowinski (2015 4th round)

T - Braden Smith (2018 2ND round)

Bruhhhhh if anybody tell me it's not smart to invest in OLINEMAN early in the draft.... If somebody say they dont want Rookie OO-Lineman....Bruhhhhh..If you have a freaking Matt Ryan and build a line like this that gives him time vs some of the better Defenses.

Look at the 1st and 2nd round talent the Saints has for Brees... Look at Dallas O-Line..

It ain't sexy but in this draft this needs to be our move to go with Matthews and Mack

ANTHONY
CASTONZO

Here is the thing.....

The Colts got lucky

The rams have taken 2 tackles in the last  the last 10 years at 2 in th draft....both are busts of epic proportions.

The jaguar oline sucks and they have invested multiple  high picks in the oline

Same with the raiders...their recent picks on the oline have sucked

The giants.??yup big round draft picks and their line sucks as bad as ours

Vikings?!

the dolphins??

Yup offensive line struggles. 

Even we got lucky with Matthews because he could have very easily turned in Jason Smith,Matt Kalil, Luke Joeckle,Greg Robinson, Ereck Flowers or the whole host of mega flops picked in the top 10 .I

Schwarzwald and putnam6 like this

12 minutes ago, Atlantafan21 said:

Hmmm, Deandre Hopkins, the proclaimed best WR by some is basically a no show. Interesting....

He's the only shiny hood ornament still alive with any hope for a ring. That hope is fading fast. He'll be at home by the fire with the rest of em next week.

1 minute ago, Falconsfan567 said:

All you got to do is look at how they've drafted since 2012 when they picked Luck. They tried but it took them a while to find the right players. Shows just how hard it is to pick the right players.

• 2012 - 7th Round - Justin Anderson - Never played an NFL game.
  • 2013 - 3rd Round - Hugh Thornton - Played 3 years with the Colts. Hasn't played an NFL game since 2015.
  • 2013 - 4th Round - Khaled Holmes - Played 3 years with the Colts. Hasn't played an NFL game since 2015.
  • 2014 - 2nd Round - Jack Mewhort - Played 4 years with the Colts. Hasn't played an NFL game since 2017.
  • 2014 - 7th Round - Ulrick John - Played 1 year with the Colts. Hasn't played an NFL game since 2017.
  • 2015 - 7th Round - Denzell Good - Played 4 years with the Colts. Started 2018 with the Colts and then ended up with the Raiders.
  • 2016 - 1st Round - Ryan Kelly - Currently starting C.
  • 2016 - 3rd Round - Le'Raven Clark - Started the season as the starter at LT and was then benched.
  • 2016 - 5th Round - Joe Haeg - Started 6 games for the Colts this year at various positions on the OL.
  • 2016 - 7th Round - Austin Blythe - Played 1 year with the Colts. Started all 16 games for the Rams this year at RG.
  • 2017 - 4th Round - Zach Banner - Never played a game with the Colts. Played in 8 games for the Browns in 2017.
  • 2018 - 1st Round - Quenton Nelson - Started all 16 games at LG for the Colts this year and made the Pro Bowl.
  • 2018 - 3rd Round - Braden Smith - Started 13 games at RT for the Colts this year.

That's a ton of wasted picks on the OL.

The Colts drafts 2013-2016 were all filled with busts in general. Barely any of those guys left on the roster, if any. 

Falconsfan567 and Schwarzwald like this

7 minutes ago, Ergo Proxy said:

@atljboRegarding Falcons OL:

We have Mack and Matthews as first round OL. (Mack via FA of course)

We got by on Levitre until injuries derailed him. Our main issue has been OG the past 2 years. Period. Schraeder just fell off a cliff. A value UDFA can only go for so long; but he was made in large part due to Chester enabling RS as being a solid vet RG.

That OL was good enough to win a SB. Don't have to mimick the Colts or invest 1st/2nd in every single spot. Just need results.

For us moving forward we should sign a veteran FA OG this offseason. As in one that is performing and make it worth the contract while drafting an OT in first 2 rounds to be THE guy; at minimum. Ty can be back as the 3rd OT.

I'd be shocked if we don't make a HUGE FA signing at OL and first/second round OL. Sign a guy like McCoy for DT on a rental and/or get a DT in another round. Arguably if we get a vet DT that can perform on a team friendly vet deal instead of garbage like McClain we could ignore DT this draft. DE is arguably a bigger problem with a lead anyway as pass rush has struggled.

Cut the fat to make the big LOS overhaul D O N E. VB can kick rocks if it let us re-sign Irvin and go for McCoy on a short deal (assuming he isn't retiring after Bucs wind up cutting him)

If we don't get more consistent pressure up the middle then a new defensive end won't help

Falconsfan567 likes this

4 minutes ago, Atlantafan21 said:

The Colts drafts 2013-2016 were all filled with busts in general. Barely any of those guys left on the roster, if any. 

To be fair, Chuck Pagano was their coach

4 minutes ago, falconsd56 said:

If we don't get more consistent pressure up the middle then a new defensive end won't help

Crawford was fine swapping inside. Not hard to find the few snaps a 1T/NT in base D would play. I'm sure Senat will step up in year 2. New DE might be necessary if we don't get Vic to agree to something less than his $13M coming due. Better money spent elsewhere. And I did address DT with McCoy. Did you even read my post?:tiphat:

You can tell this is he playoffs. I see more players going for first downs with wreck less abandon.  Not avoiding contact by going full stream   

Also Q Nelson has held for a lot of plays  

4 minutes ago, blkbigdog35 said:

Colts are a very dangerous hot team at the right time!!

They got a hot QB , a great O line. Solid defense and very smart coach. 

blkbigdog35 likes this

Just now, thofin21 said:

They got a hot QB , a great O line. Solid defense and very smart coach. 

It's funny to think they were in a weird place when McDaniels pulled that BS 

2 minutes ago, falconsd56 said:

Here is the thing.....

The Colts got lucky

The rams have taken 2 tackles in the last  the last 10 years at 2 in th draft....both are busts of epic proportions.

The jaguar oline sucks and they have invested multiple  high picks in the oline

Same with the raiders...their recent picks on the oline have sucked

The giants.??yup big round draft picks and their line sucks as bad as ours

Vikings?!

the dolphins??

Yup offensive line struggles. 

Even we got lucky with Matthews because he could have very easily turned in Jason Smith,Matt Kalil, Luke Joeckle,Greg Robinson, Ereck Flowers or the whole host of mega flops picked in the top 10 .I

I'm not trying to hear this lucky stuff.. I can point to the saints.. I can point to dallas... 

I don't see it as lucky... if we draft lineman and they come in and give us average play early.... That's a big jump for us..  

2 things tho.

1. There are not alot of impressive O-Lineman in FA.... I'll rather keep Fusco easily looking at this FA Oline

2. The worst move we can make us over pay a guy when we have a top 2 paid LT and a top 2 paid  Center... ... We can't overpay and get average play next year... I feel like we can get that with a rookie... 

We have to start investing money money on the DLine... We gotta start getting developing young not costly talent on the Oline

Well they got the donut off the board.  But do they have enough gas in the tank to get the job done.  I think the Texans are finished... jmho. Lots of football left.