Happy Dirk Koetter Day!

21 minutes ago, WhenFalconsWin said:

Koetter means this franchise doesn't learn from it's mistskes. I don't want to see another blatant mistake that holds us back another couple of years.

How was he a mistake? We had some pretty nice offense under him, his offenses are why he became a HC after all.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

25 minutes ago, atljbo said:

Yall act like good coaches cant adapt to the system... WHATEVER OC comes in will have t bend there system to what Matt and the Offense like to do... They just bring some of there style and playcalling

It isn’t that simple. 

21 minutes ago, PHALCONABERNATHY said:

Am I the only one who thinks Bevell is not a terrible option? I mean, dude went to the super bowl with an offense that had no dynamic receivers and a bad o-line. I get he didn’t run the ball or whatever but almighty Shanahan’s offense couldn’t score in the second half of the super bowl, Bevell’s did. So...what am I missing?

The year prior Bevell won a Super Bowl. 

17 minutes ago, PHALCONABERNATHY said:

Am I the only one who thinks Bevell is not a terrible option? I mean, dude went to the super bowl with an offense that had no dynamic receivers and a bad o-line. I get he didn’t run the ball or whatever but almighty Shanahan’s offense couldn’t score in the second half of the super bowl, Bevell’s did. So...what am I missing?

This is why it's kinda hard for me to judge bevell... Most of Russ biggest most impact full plays is him playing outside the system... 

Plus there run first offense is just different... I'll have to go back and look at that 09 season in minny.... Favre had a top notch year and AP rushed for like 1400 yards..

There is also an open Special Teams Coordinator position. Maybe they’re targeting some candidates from playoff teams for that opening. Certainly don’t think they’re targeting Fisch or Lombardi for OC interviews, as has been lightly reported. Bieniemy is more likely to get HC interviews than worry about a lateral move, which would I believe would require permission from KC. Who else is a likely candidate in the playoffs?

39 minutes ago, atljbo said:

Yall act like good coaches cant adapt to the system... WHATEVER OC comes in will have t bend there system to what Matt and the Offense like to do... They just bring some of there style and playcalling

Yep, Dirk did that last time. He continued what we were use to and gradually added his own spin.

7 minutes ago, HouTXFalcon said:

There is also an open Special Teams Coordinator position. Maybe they’re targeting some candidates from playoff teams for that opening. Certainly don’t think they’re targeting Fisch or Lombardi for OC interviews, as has been lightly reported. Bieniemy is more likely to get HC interviews than worry about a lateral move, which would I believe would require permission from KC. Who else is a likely candidate in the playoffs?

Zac Taylor from the Rams (QB coach) is a very sought after coach at the moment.

6 minutes ago, THEHEADCOACH said:

Yep, Dirk did that last time. He continued what we were use to and gradually added his own spin.

The system we run isn’t something you can dabble at. It requires a ton of attention to detail and dedication to the philosophy of the system. 

Otherwise, you really are changing the system and just keeping some of the plays. 

Koetter is a Coryell guy. He isn’t going to step in and start running a WCO/ZBS. And honestly, he isn’t going to want to. 

16 minutes ago, 1989Fan said:

How was he a mistake? We had some pretty nice offense under him, his offenses are why he became a HC after all.

Multiple WRs screens the way Sark ran toss sweeps and not much for the running game. 

TB rushing game was worse than ours and they have the same problem we have, not being able to convert 3rd or 4th and short yardage by running. 

They were able to put up yards but their ppg total didn't match the yardage. I'd rather not settle with a rehash and go with a top notch OC like Kubiak.

I can appreciate that. Not saying he is my top choice, but he has his benefits. His HC experience, knowledge of Ryan, knowledge of the NFCS, and some of his assistants are benefits. I guess while we all have our preferences we could do worse than all of these candidates (Kubiak, koetter, Bevell)

the big reason I am not hanging my hopes on Kubiak, is I don’t recall anything confirming the interest is mutual. I hear we like him, but it hasn’t gone beyond that.

1 hour ago, Gold4425 said:

The more I think about it Koetter would be a great choice because he has head coaching experience and sometimes DQ needs all the game help he can get especially with DQ calling the defense. He needs someone who can take charge.

Kubiak would be the best choice for these reasons and the fact Kubiak pretty much invented our current offensive scheme. Koetter would be a decent second choice.

1 hour ago, 1989Fan said:Zac Taylor from the Rams (QB coach) is a very sought after coach at the moment.

He’s getting looks as a Head Coach. This would have been a good week to interview coaches from teams with byes, and we were silent. Looks like the targets may be involved with Wild Card weekend.

Nevermind: that applies to head coaching interviews. Still, with Taylor scheduled for three HC interviews, it will be quite a while before we might get to talk to him as an OC. 

Edited by HouTXFalcon

1 hour ago, JDaveG said:

The system we run isn’t something you can dabble at. It requires a ton of attention to detail and dedication to the philosophy of the system. 

Otherwise, you really are changing the system and just keeping some of the plays. 

Koetter is a Coryell guy. He isn’t going to step in and start running a WCO/ZBS. And honestly, he isn’t going to want to. 

Honestly at the end of the day they play calls are what matter.

Getting the right play vs the right look is more important than the system itself. Like we talked about in another thread...all of the systems have been pretty much mixed together at this point.

But I will agree with you ....when I watched the season ending press conference and hearing Quinn talk about the system my first thought was that DK will not be the guy.

1 minute ago, falconsd56 said:

Honestly at the end of the day they play calls are what matter.

Getting the right play vs the right look is more important than the system itself. Like we talked about in another thread...all of the systems have been pretty much mixed together at this point.

But I will agree with you ....when I watched the season ending press conference and hearing Quinn talk about the system my first thought was that DK will not be the guy.

The bolded is the thing to me.  I like Dirk Koetter.  I don't think he'd be a bad hire at all.

But when Quinn says "we're keeping the same basic system and we're keeping the outside zone," there ain't nothing about that that says "Dirk Koetter."  Which leads me to believe this is a practice/pad the resume interview.  Because the only other realistic option is that Quinn is lying about wanting to keep the same system, and I don't know why he'd do that.  The reality is, Koetter's system works fine with the right personnel, so it isn't like changing systems is stupid.  I prefer not to because I think this system fits Matt Ryan the best, and have said that literally since he was drafted, but it's not like he can't excel in another system.  ****, he has excelled in Koetter's system.

1 minute ago, JDaveG said:

The bolded is the thing to me.  I like Dirk Koetter.  I don't think he'd be a bad hire at all.

But when Quinn says "we're keeping the same basic system and we're keeping the outside zone," there ain't nothing about that that says "Dirk Koetter."  Which leads me to believe this is a practice/pad the resume interview.  Because the only other realistic option is that Quinn is lying about wanting to keep the same system, and I don't know why he'd do that.  The reality is, Koetter's system works fine with the right personnel, so it isn't like changing systems is stupid.  I prefer not to because I think this system fits Matt Ryan the best, and have said that literally since he was drafted, but it's not like he can't excel in another system.  ****, he has excelled in Koetter's system.

I agree.

Like I mentioned in ABF....we seem to be getting a whole new offensive line....at least the right side of one...so his system would be ok.

It is going to be interesting......he needs to nail this hire otherwise if we have another 7-9 year in 19 Quinn is gone IMO

1 hour ago, JDaveG said:

I agree and disagree with you. I agree with your thinking of the scheme, but i disagree because this is the Atlanta Falcons you're talking about.. I wouldn't put it past them to try anything.

With so many HC vacancies Koetter will also get some HC looks - almost every Black HC was fired, u can make a case for each that they deserved it, I dont know about Wilks but certainly the others, and Tomlin is on the seat as well, plenty of outlets have made this observation and u know Koetter is mighty white so

3 hours ago, atljbo said:

This is why it's kinda hard for me to judge bevell... Most of Russ biggest most impact full plays is him playing outside the system... 

Plus there run first offense is just different... I'll have to go back and look at that 09 season in minny.... Favre had a top notch year and AP rushed for like 1400 yards..

Yes, please do! You’re more knowledgeable about that stuff than most and it seems to me that Bevell SHOULD have already been hired somewhere. Two Super Bowls? He definitely has a great resume.

5 hours ago, octoslash said:

Koetter will get the job, but it almost doesn't matter who gets it if the offensive line is not completely upgraded.  The O-line (beginning with losing both guards) was 80% of the problem, Sark was only about 15% of it. 

But I did want Sark gone, because I fully believe the Falcons just weren't going the right direction with him. 

(And I heard someone on the radio saying there was quite possibly other problems with Sark behind the scenes that could've hastened his exit.  That sounds likely to me because stat-wise, he wasn't that bad.  Just inconsistent.  )

3 hours ago, WhenFalconsWin said:

Multiple WRs screens the way Sark ran toss sweeps and not much for the running game. 

TB rushing game was worse than ours and they have the same problem we have, not being able to convert 3rd or 4th and short yardage by running. 

They were able to put up yards but their ppg total didn't match the yardage. I'd rather not settle with a rehash and go with a top notch OC like Kubiak.

Ive said these things so many times in other threads and people just wanted to agrue. But Im 100% in agreement.

4 hours ago, JDaveG said:

we no longer have the backfield to run WCO/ZBS unless Freeman discovers a senzu bean farm