Alabama vs Clemson 2019 - College Football National Championship

1 hour ago, BamaBirdLady said:

I love how everyone think we have the refs in our pockets. I looked up a statistical breakdown post from Michigan site claiming that Michigan is always getting screwed by refs.
https://mgoblog.com/diaries/offensiv...yond-part-deux

Let's just quote the most pertinent part: "Since 2012, Alabama has drawn a holding once every 260 plays. That is nearly 2.5 times the average."

I am not so sure that shows we have refs in our corner.

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/sec-football/most-penalized-sec-teams-last-5-years/

this was done 3 years ago, but shows exactly what people are saying.. bama by far the least penalized team in the SEC and it's not even close.  nice blog link, but doesn't tell the story at all. 

• Replies 441
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

58 minutes ago, SacFalcFan said:

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/sec-football/most-penalized-sec-teams-last-5-years/

this was done 3 years ago, but shows exactly what people are saying.. bama by far the least penalized team in the SEC and it's not even close.  nice blog link, but doesn't tell the story at all. 

Point counterpoint. Our opponents are penalized least too!

And this study was done betwern 2012-2017. 

And actually there has been 4 seasons since those stats were counted. Do you have something more recently?

Edited by BamaBirdLady
2 hours ago, BamaBirdLady said:

I love how everyone think we have the refs in our pockets. I looked up a statistical breakdown post from Michigan site claiming that Michigan is always getting screwed by refs.
https://mgoblog.com/diaries/offensiv...yond-part-deux

Let's just quote the most pertinent part: "Since 2012, Alabama has drawn a holding once every 260 plays. That is nearly 2.5 times the average."

I am not so sure that shows we have refs in our corner.

First, you reference an article from a sports team blog. I wouldn’t exactly call that a credible source. And I checked the site he pulled data from and couldn’t find any data on penalties unless he’s a premium member (which I can’t access) so I don’t know where the raw data comes from. 

Next, this is an article about big 10 football and Alabama is referenced once. That is in regard to how often their defensive line draws holding calls on the offense. One specific reference doesn’t exactly prove that the refs are biased against Alabama in general. 

Honestly I don’t have any facts to back up my claim other than what I see with my own eyes and I watch every Bama game (perks of living in bham and married to a family of Bama nuts <_<) and my biased opinion from a rival school. That article doesn’t prove any more than my blanket statement tho. . 

I would be interested to see a good penalty breakdown of significant SEC games because that seems to be when the bias shows up imo. 

41 minutes ago, UAB_DAWG said:

First, you reference an article from a sports team blog. I wouldn’t exactly call that a credible source. And I checked the site he pulled data from and couldn’t find any data on penalties unless he’s a premium member (which I can’t access) so I don’t know where the raw data comes from. 

Next, this is an article about big 10 football and Alabama is referenced once. That is in regard to how often their defensive line draws holding calls on the offense. One specific reference doesn’t exactly prove that the refs are biased against Alabama in general. 

Honestly I don’t have any facts to back up my claim other than what I see with my own eyes and I watch every Bama game (perks of living in bham and married to a family of Bama nuts <_<) and my biased opinion from a rival school. That article doesn’t prove any more than my blanket statement tho. . 

I would be interested to see a good penalty breakdown of significant SEC games because that seems to be when the bias shows up imo. 

Actually it is holding calls on our opponents offense while we are playing defense. You want me to believe with our DLs our opponents only hold 2.5 times every 260 plays?

You say you don't have facts to back up your hypothesis,  just an eye test. These are statistics,  who cares who did the research, numbers are numbers. 

I would love to see another fact based statistical analysis if someone has one.

22 minutes ago, BamaBirdLady said:

Actually it is holding calls on our opponents offense while we are playing defense. You want me to believe with our DLs our opponents only hold 2.5 times every 260 plays?

You say you don't have facts to back up your hypothesis,  just an eye test. These are statistics,  who cares who did the research, numbers are numbers. 

I would love to see another fact based statistical analysis if someone has one.

The penalties are on Alabama's opponent for holding against Alabama's DL. You said the same thing I stated and then contradicted yourself. 

I'm not going to take these statistics from some guy on a blog as fact. Statistics can be manipulated all the time to push an agenda. They are not the same as facts. He claimed he wrote an algorithm to compile the data. Believe him if you want but I'm not convinced. I'd rather get my "facts" from a credible source.

And again it's one type of penalty out of dozens that could be called. That's not enough to says anything about the refs and Bama.

1 hour ago, UAB_DAWG said:

The penalties are on Alabama's opponent for holding against Alabama's DL. You said the same thing I stated and then contradicted yourself. 

I'm not going to take these statistics from some guy on a blog as fact. Statistics can be manipulated all the time to push an agenda. They are not the same as facts. He claimed he wrote an algorithm to compile the data. Believe him if you want but I'm not convinced. I'd rather get my "facts" from a credible source.

And again it's one type of penalty out of dozens that could be called. That's not enough to says anything about the refs and Bama.

Ok, we will just go with your eye test.

Edited by BamaBirdLady

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2019/1/10/18177206/hunter-renfrow-alabama-ncaa-clemson

“Coach Swinney has built it on fun, and obviously Coach Saban has built it on a process,” Renfrow said. “I’m just so proud of being at a place like Clemson, where I feel like we’ve done it the right way. If we’re supposed to have only five guys on the field as coaches, we’re making sure we have five. We’re not doing it the wrong way and we’re having fun doing it.”

You gotta love hunter renfrow.  He kicked bama's butt for most of his time at Clemson and has 2 titles due to that.  one of the best walkons in a long time (baker mayfield is the best maybe alltime).  talking some smack on his way out.

Alabama penalty yards per game stats. For Alabama, the higher the ranking, the fewer the penalty yards per game. For the opponents, the higher the ranking, the more penalties yards per game. So in 2017, Alabama's opponents were called for fewer penalty yards per game than any team in the country.

Alabama: 60th
Opponents: 81st

Alabama: 28th
Opponents: 130th (dead last)

Alabama: 36th
Opponents: 128th (dead last)

Alabama: 92nd
Opponents: 85th

Alabama: 18th
Opponents: 127th

Alabama: 39th
Opponents: 93rd

Alabama: 7th
Opponents: 113th

Alabama: 3rd
Opponents: 118th

Maybe Alabama did have the fewest penalty yards called against them during the early-mid 2010's, but it's not like Alabama constantly was getting penalized far fewer times than their opponents. When they were top 10 in the country in fewest penalty yards per game, their opponents weren't getting penalized all that often either. Tells me the officials were letting them play.

It's fine to say that Alabama didn't get called for many penalties early on in the decade (because data supports that), but at least acknowledge that their opponents weren't getting called for much either. 

Source: https://www.teamrankings.com/college-football/stat/opponent-penalty-yards-per-game?date=2019-01-08

42 minutes ago, tl;dr said:

Alabama penalty yards per game stats. For Alabama, the higher the ranking, the fewer the penalty yards per game. For the opponents, the higher the ranking, the more penalties yards per game. So in 2017, Alabama's opponents were called for fewer penalty yards per game than any team in the country.

Maybe Alabama did have the fewest penalty yards called against them during the early-mid 2010's, but it's not like Alabama constantly was getting penalized far fewer times than their opponents. When they were top 10 in the country in fewest penalty yards per game, their opponents weren't getting penalized all that often either. Tells me the officials were letting them play.

It's fine to say that Alabama didn't get called for many penalties early on in the decade (because data supports that), but at least acknowledge that their opponents weren't getting called for much either. 

Source: https://www.teamrankings.com/college-football/stat/opponent-penalty-yards-per-game?date=2019-01-08

This article still doesn't prove the point. I'm concerned with calls made in Alabama games. The opponent rankings are the penalties on the opponent for the entire season. That shows how likely a team is to be called for a penalty over the year now how Bama games are called. All this shows is either Alabama was an extremely disciplined team in the early 2010s and they've become sloppy in recent years or refs are calling more penalties against Alabama. It doesn't show any disparity between Alabama and their opponents in Bama games. 

Honestly, I don't care very much about this. I'm on record several times on this board saying I don't really buy into ref bias in general. But I do think it exists in big games. If you don't think Alabama doesn't get influential calls in big games and big moments you probably think LeBron doesn't get playoff calls in the NBA. 

1 hour ago, tl;dr said:

I tried too. It just doesn't fit their preconceived beliefs so in their "eyes" it can't be true.

It's all good though,  we know the truth even if others are in denial. 

59 minutes ago, UAB_DAWG said:

This article still doesn't prove the point. I'm concerned with calls made in Alabama games. The opponent rankings are the penalties on the opponent for the entire season. That shows how likely a team is to be called for a penalty over the year now how Bama games are called. All this shows is either Alabama was an extremely disciplined team in the early 2010s and they've become sloppy in recent years or refs are calling more penalties against Alabama. It doesn't show any disparity between Alabama and their opponents in Bama games. 

Honestly, I don't care very much about this. I'm on record several times on this board saying I don't really buy into ref bias in general. But I do think it exists in big games. If you don't think Alabama doesn't get influential calls in big games and big moments you probably think LeBron doesn't get playoff calls in the NBA. 

Alabama definitely get the benefit of the doubt when playing lesser opponents. The rankings I shared were an average per game, so it shows that over the course of the season teams aren't being called for stuff nearly as much as you would think. 

More so I was in a way responding to the post that showed Alabama was towards the bottom in total penalty yards from 2010 to 2014. I think if you want to point that out, you also need to point out that Alabama's opponents weren't being called for much either. Can't have one without the other. 

14 minutes ago, BamaBirdLady said:

I tried too. It just doesn't fit their preconceived beliefs so in their "eyes" it can't be true.

It's all good though,  we know the truth even if others are in denial. 

I don't doubt that we get away with stuff. But every team does lol. On Lawrence's big TD pass after that horrific fake FG, the replay showed QW was just getting mugged and there should have been a hands to the face. There were several calls in the Clemson game that I thought should have been called. But I'm sure we got away with some stuff too. I know we definitely did vs. State this year. 

Pretty much I just think people don't want to look at how often opponents hold Alabama's DL, get handsy with the WR's, etc. Truth is, we get away with some of those calls, and our opponents do too. 

42 minutes ago, tl;dr said:

I don't doubt that we get away with stuff. But every team does lol. On Lawrence's big TD pass after that horrific fake FG, the replay showed QW was just getting mugged and there should have been a hands to the face. There were several calls in the Clemson game that I thought should have been called. But I'm sure we got away with some stuff too. I know we definitely did vs. State this year. 

Pretty much I just think people don't want to look at how often opponents hold Alabama's DL, get handsy with the WR's, etc. Truth is, we get away with some of those calls, and our opponents do too. 

Right, we don't have a corner on the market. 

1 hour ago, BamaBirdLady said:

Fake news. It is all over every school board, but nothing from Bama.

Interesting rumor that makes no sense. He will be the alpha RB this year with Damien gone and JJ more than likely gone.

I noticed there’s a lot of stuff being posted about it. A lot of fake stuff. He did think about transferring before this season though didn’t he? I really don’t know lol

25 minutes ago, Carter said:

I noticed there’s a lot of stuff being posted about it. A lot of fake stuff. He did think about transferring before this season though didn’t he? I really don’t know lol

Actually he did consider transferring before the 2017 season.  There was talk about it, then nothing. I guess Saban had his, don't transfer son, talk with him.

Yea. Every board has him in the portal, even BYU thinks they can get him, lol

1 minute ago, BamaBirdLady said:

Actually he did consider transferring before the 2017 season.  There was talk about it, then nothing. I guess Saban had his, don't transfer son, talk with him.

Yea. Every board has him in the portal, even BYU thinks they can get him, lol

Well I saw it on Ugasports... no one was talking about him coming to UGA or even wanting him though. It was more like speculation about the locker room rumors and changes Saban will probably be making now.

1 minute ago, Carter said:

Well I saw it on Ugasports... no one was talking about him coming to UGA or even wanting him though. It was more like speculation about the locker room rumors and changes Saban will probably be making now.

On the Bama boards they were posting the posts from other school message boards about him in the portal.

Saban making lots of changes and needs to lock down solid coordinators that will stay more than a year. Stuff to do with a successful program, GA knows!