Alabama vs Clemson 2019 - College Football National Championship

RandomFan

18 minutes ago, slickgadawg said:

They can't get past bama...

and in 2020 Georgia is going to have a loaded team a lot like the 2017 DAWGS, but the difference is we'll get to face Bama earlier on in Tuscaloosa (we won there in 2002 and 2007) instead of the postseason so we can knock them out earlier. Georgia will have a loaded team by 2020 too (Fromm's senior year) with all the returning starters from 2019. Those 68% freshmen and sophomores will be 60% juniors and seniors by 2020. Mark Richt in year 5 won the SEC title. Kirby Smart's year 5 is 2020. 

Edited by mqg96

• Replies 441
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Georgia's more likely to get absolutely dropkicked in Tuscaloosa by 35 than actually win that game. Screw comparing with history, it shouldn't mean a darn thing. If it did, then Georgia would've gone 12-0 this year in the regular season and beaten LSU as that was one thing history wise that had been going on, the teams had been taking turns with winning 2 in a row.

I'm trying to hold out hope but it's hard as heck too. I'm sorry guys for my negativity but I'm extremely extremely salty tonight and my freaking team didn't even play. This hurt even worse than the Sugar Bowl where I didn't even feel a darn thing.

Edited by VoiceofReason95

Anyone that thought last year's title game wasn't a big deal because we'll win one just got put on notice.

Georgia will have plenty of chances in years to come to get there but every facet of this program will have to be elite to win one in the next few years.

6 hours ago, mqg96 said:

When Georgia's been in Atlanta or Athens, we can't get past Bama, for some reason Georgia only beats Bama in Tuscaloosa, but the problem is, the past 5 meetings have all been in Atlanta or Athens. The same goes for Clemson. When Clemson is the road team in white jerseys, they beat Bama in their crimson home, but when Bama is the road team in white jerseys they beat Clemson in their orange home. 

Who cares about beating them in the regular season. They can't get past bama in the playoffs...

1 hour ago, slickgadawg said:

Who cares about beating them in the regular season. They can't get past bama in the playoffs...

But in 2020 if we beat Bama early on in Tuscaloosa with the veteran team we'll have, then we may not have to worry about them in the postseason. That's my point. I believe in it. 

Not taking away from the play of Clemson, but what happened to our team last night? We did not play to our standard. Was it due to Clemson's playing and coaching, or us just not making plays and some questionable play calls?

I think it is a little of both.

Whatever the cause, we got our rear ends spanked, badly! Kudos to Cleamson.

I am still and always will be proud of my Tide! There is always next year.

ROLL TIDE ROLL!!

52 minutes ago, Carter said:

The number of UGA fans wetting the bed about a game we didn’t even play in is pretty funny this morning. 

Glad we don’t hire coaches from our fanbase.

I agree.  Everyone goes all "Miss Cleo" predicting the future based on one game.   Clearly how far Kirby Smart takes UGA is yet to be determined.  But we are not building a program to have "window" to win a championship.  We are attempting to be a program that's in contention for a championship every year. 

1 hour ago, Carter said:

The number of UGA fans wetting the bed about a game we didn’t even play in is pretty funny this morning. 

Glad we don’t hire coaches from our fanbase.

I don’t see it that way.  I believe UGA fanbase is just realizing it’s more than just Bama now to grab that Natty. Clemson losing a lot of guys on defense but the offense should stay elite with Lawrence, Etienne & Ross. Oklahoma loaded with skill players on offense and hired a DC.

Just having great highly rated players isn’t enough.  On offense, Dawgs need to be able to open it up for the big CFP level opponents. The level of coaching has to improve as well.

19 minutes ago, frankly88 said:

I agree.  Everyone goes all "Miss Cleo" predicting the future based on one game.   Clearly how far Kirby Smart takes UGA is yet to be determined.  But we are not building a program to have "window" to win a championship.  We are attempting to be a program that's in contention for a championship every year. 

This right here ^^

17 minutes ago, frankly88 said:

I mean we can talk about the kind of consistently high level program we are building and I get the “show me” mentality. We’ve been so close so many times and had to live through some epic disappointments. A lot of what I’m seeing now is straight up fear though.

5 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

I don’t see it that way.  I believe UGA fanbase is just realizing it’s more than just Bama now to grab that Natty. Clemson losing a lot of guys on defense but the offense should stay elite with Lawrence, Etienne & Ross. Oklahoma loaded with skill players on offense and hired a DC.

Just having great highly rated players isn’t enough.  On offense, Dawgs need to be able to open it up for the big CFP level opponents.

Well yeah, I mean a year ago we barely got by Oklahoma. There are a bunch of schools trying to win this thing every year.

Kirby’s gonna have to adapt. I had reservations about the kind of offense I knew we’d get when we hired Chaney. He’s just not creative and he goes away from what works way too much. He’s a proven commodity in the SEC. Couple that with what I believe is an overly conservative approach to offense as a philosophy with Kirby and it’s a recipe to scrape by the elite teams or lose in the end. We have too much talent and continue to bring in too much talent to roll that way. It’s not 2008 or 1998 anymore. 

As far as Clemson goes, they have not recruited for that offensive line well at all in recent years. They lose 2 seniors at LT and center and have nobodies backing them up. While they return just about every single one of those outstanding skill position players, their OL will very likely be a liability next year. Defensively they have recruited great players but they have no depth on the interior of that defensive line. Nyles Pinckney will be a load next year but that’s really it at DT unless Dexter Lawrence comes back, but he may not even be eligible so he’s probably gone. They have studs like KJ Henry, Xavier Thomas, Justin Foster ready to step up as defensive ends though. LB group will be very experienced next season and Clemson’s defensive backfield is absolutely loaded with talent.

Depending on that o line, Clemson could repeat an undefeated regular season or potentially lose 2 or 3 games. They have Texas A&M again and travel to Syracuse where they lost in 2017 (and they nearly lost to Syracuse again at home this season). The defense probably won’t drop off much. A lot of the story on 2019 Clemson will ride on that offensive line.

I understand about the offensive line and a drop off but they will be fine to get to CFP again.   And, when they do, the coaching matters.

Other than Trevor Lawrence, what impressed me most about Clemson was the coaching.  Brent Venables deserves all the accolades he receives.  

3 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

I understand about the offensive line and a drop off but they will be fine to get to CFP again.

Other than Trevor Lawrence, what impressed me most about Clemson was the coaching.  Brent Venables deserves all the accolades he receives.  

It’s very possible.... probably even very likely that they will be up in the playoff again. Don’t underestimate what a poor or even average offensive line can do to an offense though. We’ve seen it for ourselves at UGA. And a more relevant example for the ACC would be FSU. They had all the talent in the world but their OL recruiting fell off and it led to some very bad offense, their QB getting injured out for the season, players quitting mid game, Jimbo Fisher running out of town.

Not saying this is the beginning of the end for Clemson or anything, but an otherwise great team can be severely impacted by a not so good offensive line.

Clemson has done a great job getting their players coached up though. I can’t give them enough credit for that.

2 minutes ago, Carter said:

It’s very possible.... probably even very likely that they will be up in the playoff again. Don’t underestimate what a poor or even average offensive line can do to an offense though. We’ve seen it for ourselves at UGA. And a more relevant example for the ACC would be FSU. They had all the talent in the world but their OL recruiting fell off and it led to some very bad offense, their QB getting injured out for the season, players quitting mid game, Jimbo Fisher running out of town.

Not saying this is the beginning of the end for Clemson or anything, but an otherwise great team can be severely impacted by a not so good offensive line.

Clemson has done a great job getting their players coached up though. I can’t give them enough credit for that.

Mark Schlabach just anointed Clemson #1 in his “Way to Early Top 25” - guess he doesn’t see it as much of an issue.