Falcons Fan MVP

Who should we have hired as our offensive coordinator in 2017 instead of Sark?

83 posts in this topic

For Quinn not to push like heck to keep at least a few key pieces from that 16 run was a HUGE red flag to me. It stunk of Mike Smith-mediocrity. How he doesn't think to keep LaFleur I have NO idea. Why he kept Armstrong around for this long??? No idea. Why he didn't anticipate the O line being an issue sooner?? Absolutely NO idea. I'm just a befuddled fan at this point because little to nothing Quinn has done after 16 has made any sense to me. At least they are drafting better now but i mean it's a Front Office filled with a bevy of former GMs! What a clusterfucc smh. 

Sure is easy in hindsight to say “Who should we have hired”, especially with 2 years of data to pick a coach that may rival what Sark did while here. 

On 1/4/2019 at 10:11 PM, E. T. said:

I would have given Matt Lafleur his chance before even thinking of Sark.

Ya, I 100% agree.   

Posted (edited)

10 hours ago, E. T. said:

Who's to say Lafleur couldn't have had that same success if not better here. Both men didn't have NFL OC experience before 2017. It was a total gamble that Quinn made.

I'm not concerned about the Titans offense because it's not the Falcons offense. Lafleur was more familiar with the players, playbook, and scheme than Sark was. That alone should have accounted for something. Just my opinion, I think we missed out on what possibly Lafleur could have brought to the table. Right now 2 seasons were wasted. I just would have loved to keep the ball rolling.  

My preference was to at least to keep LaFleur as QB Coach which was all he asked for.  McDaniels (not of NE fame) was more likely to replace Shanny at that point.  McDaniels as OC and LaFleur as QB coach & pass game coordinator seemed appropriate if the Shanny scheme  was the objective

Edited by Falconsin2012

19 hours ago, Falconsfan567 said:

Only field a top 10 offense. See Matt Ryan have his 2nd best season of his career. See Julio Jones and Calvin Ridley have record breaking seasons. Those things happened and Sark deserves credit for that whether you believe it or not. It's downright silly that Sark was so bad and yet those things still happened.

Watch many Titans games this year? Don't know how you could have and claimed that Lafluer is a better play caller. It took them until December to finally start using their best player. LOL!

Stats dont tell the whole story Ryan's passing stats are inflated from being behind and a moribund running game, but you know this. **** with Ryan and Julio your offense is almost guaranteed top 15. Yea Lafluer had to get used to players in Tennessee,but he was familiar with players in Atlanta from 2015 and 2016. You got to agree the Falcons offensive skill players are alot better than Tennessee especially when they lost Delainie Walker,and Mariotta got hurt. **** sure know LaFleur's wins and losses would have been close to Sarkisian's, cause thats not all on the OC. That continuity would have been worth something. Funny seeing LaFleur talked up for NFL head coaching gigs while Sarkisian is mention for Volunteer OC.  Like I  said think there was a personality issue something that kept Quinn from exploring that, and NFL TEAMS recognize that LaFleur has more NFL potential than Sarkisian. 

Vandy likes this

On 1/4/2019 at 9:57 PM, ⚡Slumerican⚡ said:

Im sure Quinn wasn't happy with Kyle's departure. I don't blame Kyle for what he did, but how can you force a OC to be loyal? Belichick seems to have a handle on it, and with coaching staff not being capped maybe team owners are ultimately to blame. I understand the team has to be lucrative, but how much money would it have took to retain Kyle? Or how much to entice a guy like Kubiak to come to Atlanta? 

Kyle wanted to be a head coach. Not sure what his price tag would have been to get him not to pursue his goal.

11 hours ago, pzummo said:

LaFleur would’ve been a much better choice. 

Really proved it in Tennessee this year..... Shanny didn't even want the guy. 

7 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1969 said:

Really proved it in Tennessee this year..... Shanny didn't even want the guy. 

Yep thats why the Packers and Jets are interviewing him for head coach,and Sarkisian is sniffing around Knoxville for an OC job in the college ranks

18 minutes ago, putnam6 said:

Yep thats why the Packers and Jets are interviewing him for head coach,and Sarkisian is sniffing around Knoxville for an OC job in the college ranks

So his claim to fame is getting an interview? 

You're really setting the bar right now. 

1 hour ago, FalconFanSince1969 said:

So his claim to fame is getting an interview? 

You're really setting the bar right now. 

LOL 2 NFL front offices want to talk to the guy about being the head coach, where's Sarkisian's interview schedule LOL he is free, not even a peep from Knoxville nor anywhere else for that matter. So who's caught more eyes, who is the hotter commodity? But yea your right I'll listen to some guy on a message board. 

On ‎1‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 9:37 PM, Falcons Fan MVP said:

Well it looks like we've wasted another  2 years of Matt Ryan's career with Sark. I don't understand why we hired inexperienced coordinators Manuel and Sark. Looking back in hindsight who should have been hired as our offensive coordinator for the 2017 season? And why do you think Sark was chosen as our coordinator when he was inexperienced and not the best option? Your thoughts?

I have no idea what you complaining about. The Falcons have wasted 35 years of my life lol Matt Ryan gets paid a lot of money so I don't feel sorry for him. 

On ‎1‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 10:48 PM, Falcons Fan MVP said:

Matt Leflaur is one. Possibly Gregg Knapp.

?????

13 hours ago, Hurry_Up_And_Buy said:

For Quinn not to push like heck to keep at least a few key pieces from that 16 run was a HUGE red flag to me. It stunk of Mike Smith-mediocrity. How he doesn't think to keep LaFleur I have NO idea. Why he kept Armstrong around for this long??? No idea. Why he didn't anticipate the O line being an issue sooner?? Absolutely NO idea. I'm just a befuddled fan at this point because little to nothing Quinn has done after 16 has made any sense to me. At least they are drafting better now but i mean it's a Front Office filled with a bevy of former GMs! What a clusterfucc smh. 

I think this is a problem here why are you complaining about one of the best coaches the Falcons ever had. 

Mike McDaniel or Matt Lafluer were the logical replacement candidates. They knew the offense that the falcons ran and Matt Ryan didn’t want to have to learn another offense. Instead they hired Sark to run an offense that wasn’t his and it didn’t work out. 

Im not saying Lafluer or McDaniel would have had more success here than Sark, but given the situation, it most likely would have been a smoother transition. 

And for what it’s worth, do we really expect anyone who was hired to absolutely crash and burn with the weapons they were handed? 

1 minute ago, putnam6 said:

Packers expected to hire Titans OC Matt LaFleur as coach, sources say

What in the name of sam hills does this have to do with whether or not he should have been hired as OC of the Falcons? How does one come away with that conclusion just because he got a HC job? NFL history is full of unqualified men getting head coaching jobs. ****, look no farther than the Falcons and them hiring Marion Campbell twice!! Sark haters just blow my ever loving mind.

13 hours ago, Falconsfan567 said:

What in the name of sam hills does this have to do with whether or not he should have been hired as OC of the Falcons? How does one come away with that conclusion just because he got a HC job? NFL history is full of unqualified men getting head coaching jobs. ****, look no farther than the Falcons and them hiring Marion Campbell twice!! Sark haters just blow my ever loving mind.

Gotdam FF567 I dont hate Sarkisian just would have liked to fooking seen if they could have continued their historic offense of 2016 with Lafleur. Green Bay is no where near Rankin Smith hiring Marion fooking Campbell either but you know that too. Plenty of openings out there in the NFL where is Sarkisian interviewing? No Where..... Falcons with Ryan and Julio are an almost guaranteed top 15 offense, think only twice in the Ryan era have they dropped below 15 and one of those was 16th.

probably a personality conflict or Quinn just didnt think he was ready, but Ryan liked the guy too. 

https://thebiglead.com/2019/01/07/packers-head-coach-matt-lafleur/

7 hours ago, putnam6 said:

Gotdam FF567 I dont hate Sarkisian just would have liked to fooking seen if they could have continued their historic offense of 2016 with Lafleur. Green Bay is no where near Rankin Smith hiring Marion fooking Campbell either but you know that too. Plenty of openings out there in the NFL where is Sarkisian interviewing? No Where..... Falcons with Ryan and Julio are an almost guaranteed top 15 offense, think only twice in the Ryan era have they dropped below 15 and one of those was 16th.

probably a personality conflict or Quinn just didnt think he was ready, but Ryan liked the guy too. 

https://thebiglead.com/2019/01/07/packers-head-coach-matt-lafleur/

But the thing is what has Matt Lafleur done to PROVE that the Falcons wouldn't have skipped a beat had he stayed? That's the question that none of you can answer no more than I can except by looking at what Lafleur has done other places, which is nothing. He's proven nothing. I have no idea why he was hired as Green Bay coach. Not a clue because to me he hasn't "earned" it because he hasn't "proven" anything. I see a guy riding Kyle Shanahan's success and calling it his own and getting jobs based on that.

I don't use "well this guy is getting interviews and this other guy isn't" as any measure of how good or bad someone is. To me that's just downright silliness and proven by the fact that many unqualified people have gotten head coaching jobs in the NFL.

50 minutes ago, Falconsfan567 said:

But the thing is what has Matt Lafleur done to PROVE that the Falcons wouldn't have skipped a beat had he stayed? That's the question that none of you can answer no more than I can except by looking at what Lafleur has done other places, which is nothing. He's proven nothing. I have no idea why he was hired as Green Bay coach. Not a clue because to me he hasn't "earned" it because he hasn't "proven" anything. I see a guy riding Kyle Shanahan's success and calling it his own and getting jobs based on that.

I don't use "well this guy is getting interviews and this other guy isn't" as any measure of how good or bad someone is. To me that's just downright silliness and proven by the fact that many unqualified people have gotten head coaching jobs in the NFL.

Not everybody in the NFL are dumb chits, guy has a helluva resume in THE NFL, and keeps getting hired, yea you are right we wont know what could have happened here. just saying if Sarkisian was such a success wouldn't he garner attention too? he isnt because he wasn't that successful. LOL Mularkey, Koetter,Shanny all ride off to NFL head coaching gigs Sarkisian is probably end up back in the NCAA. at best. he isnt being mentioned elsewhere for reason. 

2 minutes ago, putnam6 said:

Not everybody in the NFL are dumb chits, guy has a helluva resume in THE NFL, and keeps getting hired, yea you are right we wont know what could have happened here. just saying if Sarkisian was such a success wouldn't he garner attention too? he isnt because he wasn't that successful. LOL Mularkey, Koetter,Shanny all ride off to NFL head coaching gigs Sarkisian is probably end up back in the NCAA. at best. he isnt being mentioned elsewhere for reason. 

Top 10 offense says differently. 35 TD passes and 7 INT from Matt Ryan says differently. Record breaking seasons by Julio Jones and Calvin Ridley says differently. I don't give a **** if he's not getting NFL jobs. He probably doesn't want to coach in the NFL anymore? Did you ever stop and think that might be why you haven't heard about him getting any interviews anywhere? No. You're too busy talking about how guys getting jobs and interviews means they're so great and Sark isn't which means he sucks that you're failing to even consider that maybe Sark isn't even seeking an NFL job. I get it. You don't like Sark and think he's the worst coach the Falcons have ever had with Matt Ryan but he deserves a great deal of CREDIT for the success that Matt Ryan, Julio Jones, and Calvin Ridley had in 2018. I hope Matt Lafleur blows in Green Bay just so I can come back here and rub it in all of you guys faces because you guys are not being OBJECTIVE in your evaluation of Sark and that just burns me.

7 minutes ago, Falconsfan567 said:

Top 10 offense says differently. 35 TD passes and 7 INT from Matt Ryan says differently. Record breaking seasons by Julio Jones and Calvin Ridley says differently. I don't give a **** if he's not getting NFL jobs. He probably doesn't want to coach in the NFL anymore? Did you ever stop and think that might be why you haven't heard about him getting any interviews anywhere? No. You're too busy talking about how guys getting jobs and interviews means they're so great and Sark isn't which means he sucks that you're failing to even consider that maybe Sark isn't even seeking an NFL job. I get it. You don't like Sark and think he's the worst coach the Falcons have ever had with Matt Ryan but he deserves a great deal of CREDIT for the success that Matt Ryan, Julio Jones, and Calvin Ridley had in 2018. I hope Matt Lafleur blows in Green Bay just so I can come back here and rub it in all of you guys faces because you guys are not being OBJECTIVE in your evaluation of Sark and that just burns me.

Again Ryan's offenses are routinely top 15 no matter the OC. As for how he does as HC has no bearing if his was a good OC or not,but you know this too.Lots of good OC's are chitty coaches, but good OC's get hired WHERE IS SARKISIAN GETTING HIRED AT....... no I dont hate Sarkisian any more than you hate Snitker LOL I'm just looking at results and the fact that Lafleur continues to be employed in the NFL. No I think Mularkey was the worst for Ryan but even he got hired again in the NFL. LOL I hope he blows in Green Bay too, LOL but when he does bet he can still get employed. Why would he not be seeking a job in the NFL, to many offers in the NCAA, where are they? LOL he did such a good job he is dropping the mic and peace out.

30 minutes ago, putnam6 said:

Again Ryan's offenses are routinely top 15 no matter the OC. As for how he does as HC has no bearing if his was a good OC or not,but you know this too.Lots of good OC's are chitty coaches, but good OC's get hired WHERE IS SARKISIAN GETTING HIRED AT....... no I dont hate Sarkisian any more than you hate Snitker LOL I'm just looking at results and the fact that Lafleur continues to be employed in the NFL. No I think Mularkey was the worst for Ryan but even he got hired again in the NFL. LOL I hope he blows in Green Bay too, LOL but when he does bet he can still get employed. Why would he not be seeking a job in the NFL, to many offers in the NCAA, where are they? LOL he did such a good job he is dropping the mic and peace out.

Why are you so hung up on

He got an NFL job = He is great at what he does

How is that logical?

Also, how many times has Matt Ryan thrown 30 TD passes in a season? Oh wait, it's only happened 3 times and once with Sark. Sark gets some credit for that. But I'm done now. It's clear that OBJECTIVITY isn't your thing.

1 minute ago, Falconsfan567 said:

Why are you so hung up on

He got an NFL job = He is great at what he does

How is that logical?

How is it logical that Sarkisian is master OC when he doesn't even get an interview. I just think Sarkisian was OK, don't see them canning him him if he was great. 

That said it dont matter my friend, Lafleur aint here and neither is Sarkisian I can get behind Koetter if thats the choice cause I still believe Quinn might be positive enough to make magic happen again. LO, we got plenty of time to argue when baseball rolls around again LOL.