Falcons Fan MVP

Who should we have hired as our offensive coordinator in 2017 instead of Sark?

83 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Eric Bieniemy.  He had been an OC in college and a RB coach in the NFL by 2017.  On the other hand, we’d probably be losing him to a HC position by now, same as the Chiefs likely are.

Edited by NOVAFalconFan

9 hours ago, E. T. said:

I would have given Matt Lafleur his chance before even thinking of Sark.

I know here point that his offense isnt doing anything in Nashville,but look at the players and its his first year. Most times I cant stand promoting within,think its short sighted, but coming off such an historic offensive season and the Super let down,Id like to see if he could have captured some of that magic of 2016. Sounds crazy but don't think Quinn was a big fan of all the attention and accolades the offense was getting. Before we break our arms slapping Sarkisian on the back for a 10th place finish,lets remember would it have been enough to beat Minnesota and ultimately the Patriots. LOL they certainly could have tried Lafleur for two years and then abandon it just like they have done Sarkisian. 

VTCrunkler and E. T. like this

I get confused when people say the defense doesn’t impact offensive production. I haven’t looked at any stats, but I would have to be think the Falcons offense had A LOT more possessions in 2016 and 2017 compared to 2018. The defense was terrible this year and they definitely didn’t turn anyone over!

In 2017, it felt like the Falcons had almost every punt end with the offense starting from inside their own 10. Even when they did get a good return, and Andre Roberts had plenty of them, they were called back by a penalty and we would start at the 8.

I remember thinking it was crazy how often it happened.

thajames likes this

9 hours ago, FalconFanSince1969 said:

So we don't want Sark because he's never called plays in the nfl so the solution was to promote a guy who's never called plays in the nfl? Brilliant. 

My thought exactly... but I would have given the keys to ML over SS. 

8 hours ago, Falconsfan567 said:

What has he done as OC that's better than Sark?

Let me ask you, what exactly has Sark done to be more deserving over Lafleur?

Lafleur at least was already more familiar with the system than Sark was. 

And....I'm willing to say Lafleur's playcalling would have been much better than Sarks. 

But honestly, we may never know the answer to how things could have been. Sark had his chance, ML didn't.... Just my opinion, I would have given Lafleur the advantage over Sark.

3 hours ago, E. T. said:

Let me ask you, what exactly has Sark done to be more deserving over Lafleur?

Lafleur at least was already more familiar with the system than Sark was. 

And....I'm willing to say Lafleur's playcalling would have been much better than Sarks. 

But honestly, we may never know the answer to how things could have been. Sark had his chance, ML didn't.... Just my opinion, I would have given Lafleur the advantage over Sark.

Only field a top 10 offense. See Matt Ryan have his 2nd best season of his career. See Julio Jones and Calvin Ridley have record breaking seasons. Those things happened and Sark deserves credit for that whether you believe it or not. It's downright silly that Sark was so bad and yet those things still happened.

Watch many Titans games this year? Don't know how you could have and claimed that Lafluer is a better play caller. It took them until December to finally start using their best player. LOL!

Vandy likes this

2 minutes ago, Falconsfan567 said:

Only field a top 10 offense. See Matt Ryan have his 2nd best season of his career. See Julio Jones and Calvin Ridley have record breaking seasons. Those things happened and Sark deserves credit for that whether you believe it or not. It's downright silly that Sark was so bad and yet those things still happened.

Watch many Titans games this year? Don't know how you could have and claimed that Lafluer is a better play caller. It took them until December to finally start using their best player. LOL!

Who's to say Lafleur couldn't have had that same success if not better here. Both men didn't have NFL OC experience before 2017. It was a total gamble that Quinn made.

I'm not concerned about the Titans offense because it's not the Falcons offense. Lafleur was more familiar with the players, playbook, and scheme than Sark was. That alone should have accounted for something. Just my opinion, I think we missed out on what possibly Lafleur could have brought to the table. Right now 2 seasons were wasted. I just would have loved to keep the ball rolling.  

6 minutes ago, E. T. said:

Who's to say Lafleur couldn't have had that same success if not better here. Both men didn't have NFL OC experience before 2017. It was a total gamble that Quinn made.

I'm not concerned about the Titans offense because it's not the Falcons offense. Lafleur was more familiar with the players, playbook, and scheme than Sark was. That alone should have accounted for something. Just my opinion, I think we missed out on what possibly Lafleur could have brought to the table. Right now 2 seasons were wasted. I just would have loved to keep the ball rolling.  

One man had play calling experience somewhere. The other had zero at all. 

Biggest mistake Quinn made was hiring Sark to run Shannys scheme. That's like getting with a new girl and she asks you to act just like her ex boyfriend who left her. I'm still wondering what a true Sark offense looks like.

Phillup11 likes this

3 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1969 said:

One man had play calling experience somewhere. The other had zero at all. 

Yea, how'd that work out for him? The Sark hire was a total gamble. 

Either way, I'm glad and hopeful that now we get our guy.

The "blame everything on Sark" crowd is absolutely unbearable to try to have an objective conversation with. I'm done. Enough of wasting my time with people that feel the need to blame everything on one person who wasn't even that bad. If that means I start only talking to about 15 people tops on this message board because they're open-minded enough to have legit honesty objective discussions then so be it. But this **** has gotten on my last nerve! Everything is always Sark's fault. Everything is always Ryan's fault. Everything is always Quinn's fault. Everything is always Dimitroff's fault. Everything is always Beasley's fault. That ain't the way football works and if people are too stupid to understand that then they're not worth my time.

Marco102 and Vandy like this

47 minutes ago, Beast-N-Da-Sheetz said:

Biggest mistake Quinn made was hiring Sark to run Shannys scheme. That's like getting with a new girl and she asks you to act just like her ex boyfriend who left her. I'm still wondering what a true Sark offense looks like.

Yes and getting a new OC this year to do the same thing might put us in the same position.  I was worried we would do this when KS left, after seeing his old teams fail to reproduce his offensive magic after he left.  

Posted (edited)

Matt LaFleur. He was under the scheme for some years and knew it. Why did Sean McVay pick him up to be the OC? Because he knew Shanny's system, even though he didn't do the playcalling he knew all the nuances of the system. With LaFleur, you didn't need to have an OC "learn" the system and have an adjustment period with Ryan, the transition would've been seamless. Although, I'm not too sure LaFleur wanted to stay. Whenever Ryan cursed up a storm at the sideline in 2015 and 2016, it was always directed at LaFleur and LaFleur had that look like he was annoyed.

Edited by MilleniumFalcon

35 minutes ago, MilleniumFalcon said:

Matt LaFleur. He was under the scheme for some years and knew it. Why did Sean McVay pick him up to be the OC? Because he knew Shanny's system, even though he didn't do the playcalling he knew all the nuances of the system. With LaFleur, you didn't need to have an OC "learn" the system and have an adjustment period with Ryan, the transition would've been seamless. Although, I'm not too sure LaFleur wanted to stay. Whenever Ryan cursed up a storm at the sideline in 2015 and 2016, it was always directed at LaFleur and LaFleur had that look like he was annoyed.

The mistake the Falcons made in 2017 was asking Sark to run Shanny's offense. That was STUPID. Just beyond stupid. As another person said, that's like getting a girlfriend and wanting her to act and be exactly the same as the previous girlfriend. It doesn't work like that.  I'm one of the ones that said the 2017 offense would be a disaster because we were trying to force Sark into running Shanny's offense using Shanny's playbook. It was doomed for failure from the beginning.

During this previous offseason the Falcons let Sark put HIS OFFENSE in place and look at the results. It speaks for itself. Just imagine what the offense could have been had Freeman and the OL stayed healthy. Unless the Falcons hit a homerun with the OC pick you folks gonna be wishing Sark was never fired. I already fear that firing him was the wrong decision because we're going to end up with some bum like Bevill watching the offense.

Vandy likes this

Sark was the WORST thing to ever happen to Georgia Football.  If there was a devil, it would be Sark. 

Sark recruited Tua for Alabama.  Sark left in time for Alabama to get their ish right for the Bull dogs the following year.

Sark blew his chance vs the Eagles in the playoffs with his roll out play call.

Sark wasted our time, he is a terrible coach and a terrible leader.  Even Mark Sanchez back in USC thought he was a complete Joke.

SO YES, the Falcons did it to themselves by hiring this complete waste and costed the team 2 years. 

Fans shouldn't feel bad about, its Quinn, TD and Blank who made the ultimate decision to hire him

39 minutes ago, Falconsfan567 said:

The mistake the Falcons made in 2017 was asking Sark to run Shanny's offense. That was STUPID. Just beyond stupid. As another person said, that's like getting a girlfriend and wanting her to act and be exactly the same as the previous girlfriend. It doesn't work like that.  I'm one of the ones that said the 2017 offense would be a disaster because we were trying to force Sark into running Shanny's offense using Shanny's playbook. It was doomed for failure from the beginning.

During this previous offseason the Falcons let Sark put HIS OFFENSE in place and look at the results. It speaks for itself. Just imagine what the offense could have been had Freeman and the OL stayed healthy. Unless the Falcons hit a homerun with the OC pick you folks gonna be wishing Sark was never fired. I already fear that firing him was the wrong decision because we're going to end up with some bum like Bevill watching the offense.

No, you'll understand next season how big a mistake Sark really was. The OC main in print on a team begins in practice, Sark never had this offense disciplined. I don't believe any of the players respected Sark. What has Sark added to this offense? I'll answer that, nothing. Sark wasn't even competent enough to analyze defensive schemes. How can you expect to game plan against a team when you don't understand what the defense is doing? Sark was a train wreck at best, I promise you Quinn is kicking himself now for that hire. 

6 hours ago, Falconsfan567 said:

The "blame everything on Sark" crowd is absolutely unbearable to try to have an objective conversation with. I'm done. Enough of wasting my time with people that feel the need to blame everything on one person who wasn't even that bad. If that means I start only talking to about 15 people tops on this message board because they're open-minded enough to have legit honesty objective discussions then so be it. But this **** has gotten on my last nerve! Everything is always Sark's fault. Everything is always Ryan's fault. Everything is always Quinn's fault. Everything is always Dimitroff's fault. Everything is always Beasley's fault. That ain't the way football works and if people are too stupid to understand that then they're not worth my time.

C'mon 567, embrace the debate brother.....lol.

I understand....but this is a complete toss up topic. Feelings and opinions than concrete facts.

Unfortunately feelings and opinions seem to conquer around here. 

Personally I'm done with the Sark convo myself....It's time to move on to hopefully better if you ask me.

Posted (edited)

At the time I liked Lefleur, but in hindsight I think we were right to take Sark over him. Remember, Shanny didnt even take him to SF and McVay retained playcalling duties in LA.

IMO, Lefleur is a pretender. Just a name guy. 

27th in scoring, 25th in Yards. **** no.

Edited by RubberDucky
Falconsfan567 likes this

47 minutes ago, RubberDucky said:

At the time I liked Lefleur, but in hindsight I think we were right to take Sark over him. Remember, Shanny didnt even take him to SF and McVay retained playcalling duties in LA.

IMO, Lefleur is a pretender. Just a name guy. 

27th in scoring, 25th in Yards. **** no.

Finally someone with some common sense.

One of the guys who they allowed to help The Rams.

McVay had no famous scheme before, its the one from the 2016 Falcons under Shanahan.

On 1/4/2019 at 9:48 PM, FalconFanSince1969 said:

Who? Surely you have a list of all stars. Maybe he didn't want somebody who would bolt after one year like Shanny did. I seem to remember Quinn hiring him too. Kinda blows up your conspiracy theory. 

LaFleur would’ve been a much better choice.