Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
FalconJim

Did We Make The Right Decision In Firing All 3 Coordinators?

118 posts in this topic

44 minutes ago, capologist said:

Safe to say now that Armstrong wasn't good enough to be an a-hole this year...

Like him or not.....that was one of the best quotes i have seen in hard knocks yet

Geneaut and capologist like this

5 hours ago, PokerSteve said:

I don't know about Sark, but the response to Manuel's availability has been somewhat less than fast and furious. :ninja:

:o  Sark is the one I know we should have fired,, For sure.. Not sure about the others but Sark w as a MUST if we want to do any better next year.. You'll be glad next season,, I guaranty it. I was so afraid they wouldn't fire Sark! 

4 hours ago, RING OF HONOR said:

Agree 100 %.... Sark was fired with similar numbers that got Shanahan a head coaching gig

Everybody and they Mama was talking top 5 defense the beginning of the season...the man **** near lost his entire defense and it's obvious the depth was horrible...if  Manuel was at fault...why didn't Quinn fire him or take control a long time ago...

Armstrong was the right decision..

While I don't agree....I'm giving Quinn a shot to make it right....but he definitely sitting on a pile of coal with the match ready to strike

IF we get Kubiak I will disagree. Otherwise i think Sark had an offense that was pretty good considering the train wreck we had for 3/5ths of the o-line.

RING OF HONOR likes this

2 minutes ago, Godzilla1985 said:

IF we get Kubiak I will disagree. Otherwise i think Sark had an offense that was pretty good considering the train wreck we had for 3/5ths of the o-line.

Agree

2 hours ago, Falcanuck said:

Wasn’t Gurley OPOY. I’m thinking of when we beat them in the playoffs last year. 

Marquand Manuel was the defensive coordinator by then, and that was our best defense statistically since 1998. Although I will say this though the defense still struggled in yards per play and takeaways despite that, but then again, in 2015 and 2016 the defense was mediocre too before Manuel got promoted, which is once again, the reason why I believe Manuel had little to do with the defensive struggles. Manuel dealt with the most injuries in 2018 from the start. Sark did not have any major injury outside of Levtire, and the offense was bad against real competition. 

9 minutes ago, RING OF HONOR said:

Agree

Are you thinking we won't find a oc that's better than Sark? I know u liked the guy, but experience wise he was green.. Very green, I honestly believe any OC that we hire with experience is gonna make this team shine.. I may be wrong, and I'll admit it if I am.. But imo Sark wasn't very good at all

13 minutes ago, mqg96 said:

Marquand Manuel was the defensive coordinator by then, and that was our best defense statistically since 1998. Although I will say this though the defense still struggled in yards per play and takeaways despite that, but then again, in 2015 and 2016 the defense was mediocre too before Manuel got promoted, which is once again, the reason why I believe Manuel had little to do with the defensive struggles. Manuel dealt with the most injuries in 2018 from the start. Sark did not have any major injury outside of Levtire, and the offense was bad against real competition. 

Manuel inherited that defence. It was tragically obvious that once he lost his playmakers he did not have the know-how or adaptability to overcome. 

3 hours ago, Francis York Morgan said:

...are you seriously arguing Ryan got defensive coaches fired?

Good Lord.

This guy got me laughing in the food court by myself lol.

Geneaut and ⚡Slumerican⚡ like this

1 hour ago, ⚡Slumerican⚡ said:

Are you thinking we won't find a oc that's better than Sark? I know u liked the guy, but experience wise he was green.. Very green, I honestly believe any OC that we hire with experience is gonna make this team shine.. I may be wrong, and I'll admit it if I am.. But imo Sark wasn't very good at all

I never said I liked him....I was just pointing out that he put up similar numbers to Shanahan...He didn't have a healthy running game...and the O line was trash....I would have liked to have seen what he could do with another season under better circumstances

..he was green though and I thought at times he failed to make adjustments

⚡Slumerican⚡ likes this

1 hour ago, ⚡Slumerican⚡ said:

Technically, he has 2 years of OC experience now... With an experienced OC by his side in Gregg Knapp who is capable of providing input to our  game-plan prep and in-game adjustments.  

When the game plan against the Browns was something like "...we'll make it up as we go..." that was enough of the Sark experiment.

When the DC made every interim coach and stand in QB look like superstars and then had a press conference to explain why we were all too uneducated to understand his brand of advanced tackling technique using no arms...made me wonder if he was joking...no he was serious!

I wish them all the best in whichever high school they resume their career. 

⚡Slumerican⚡ likes this

9 minutes ago, TheUsualStuff said:

I think 81KJW has it 100% correct that Ryan got Smith and Koetter fired....

.... from Tampa

What's so bad, I honestly think he believes what he post. 

11 minutes ago, Knight of God said:

Most here don’t pay that much attention to defense or much about it. Same with STs, but Manuel was the worst of the three actually. 

Came in here for your usual "Yes", #WheresMyKOG

Knight of God likes this

Posted (edited)

10 hours ago, FalconJim said:

For the record, I'm alright with the firings.  But I'll be curious to see if any of them are picked up by another NFL team. 
If they don't, you have to feel that the right decision was made... 

Maybe that's indicative that they should have never been hired to begin with?

If I ran a business and that happened, I'd really look at myself. Kinda like a relationship.

Edited by ant.accurate
FalconJim likes this

6 hours ago, Knight of God said:

Most here don’t pay that much attention to defense or much about it. Same with STs, but Manuel was the worst of the three actually. 

For some like me it might have been intentionally, because it was painful at times watching the defense give up chunk yards, even after 3rd and long.

Knight of God likes this

16 hours ago, mqg96 said:

I believe all the decisions were right except for Marquand Manuel. Defense isn't changing in 2019 whether Quinn was taking over calling plays or had Manuel stayed. Quinn has always had complete control of the defense since he got here. Some people still don't understand that tho. 

While Quinn has been the architect of the defense since his arrival, he has not been the day-to-day manager and overseer.  This recent announcement indicates a radical change in the order of things.  Quinn will not only direct the defense, he will oversee it and have his hands on it every day.  

This is why a competent and preferably experienced offensive coordinator is essential.  Quinn will be turning the offense over to that leader with minimal direction.  In-game decisions will go through Quinn, but will be guided by another.  

The new arrangement is not small change.  I believe that the defense will improve greatly.  Time will tell if the entire team will perform better on game days.  

14 hours ago, Phillup11 said:

Knapp is a prior experienced OC working on the staff with Sark.   No reason for coaches to not communicate with each other for the sake of the team.  Either Knapp didn't do his job or isn't as good either.  He should be gone too. 

Remember that the offense did improve quite a bit with him here. The fact that he is still on board is just to make the decision for Kubiak easier. The new coordinator may want to have his own guy.