Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
FalconJim

Did We Make The Right Decision In Firing All 3 Coordinators?

118 posts in this topic

12 minutes ago, pzummo said:

I would be surprised to see Sark or Manuel get a job as an NFL coordinator anywhere.

If I was a betting man, I'd bet on Sark going back to college and Manuel finding a job as a position coach in the NFL (coaching DB's somewhere).

Word is....he was contacted by the University of Tennessee

1 hour ago, FalconJim said:

For the record, I'm alright with the firings.  But I'll be curious to see if any of them are picked up by another NFL team. 
If they don't, you have to feel that the right decision was made... 

What Matt Ryan does the best choke and gets coaches fired lol I think it's funny the next offensive  Coordinators is gonna get the same treatment. 

1 hour ago, mqg96 said:

I believe all the decisions were right except for Marquand Manuel. Defense isn't changing in 2019 whether Quinn was taking over calling plays or had Manuel stayed. Quinn has always had complete control of the defense since he got here. Some people still don't understand that tho. 

Disagree completely. Quinn called plenty of man in our SB run and dialed up pressure. The only blitz Manual knew how to call was a nickel corner blitz with Poole. 

Geneaut likes this

2 minutes ago, Geneaut said:

Obvious Matty Troll is obvious. 

lol OK, it happens every time we get a new OC how is that being a troll lol I'm been here since I was about 6 years old and now 40 so you can call me a troll if you want to. yes, I was a fan before they had a website.

1 minute ago, 81KJW said:

lol OK, it happens every time we get a new OC how is that being a troll lol I'm been here since I was about 6 years old and now 40 so you can call me a troll if you want to. yes, I was a fan before they had a website.

1. Most of Matt's OCs haven't been fired. The vast majority of them have been offered HC positions. Sark will probably be the first who hasn't been. Even Koetter, who wasn't fired, ended up being a HC. Shanny rode Matt's 2016 performance to a 6 year contract in SF.

2. Why even mention Matt in a thread about assistant coaches? Answer: Agenda

3. I don't care how long you've been here.

4. You once famously claimed Matt didn't have the football IQ to run Mularkey's offense. That should be the \thread there.

9 minutes ago, Falcanuck said:

Disagree completely. Quinn called plenty of man in our SB run and dialed up pressure. The only blitz Manual knew how to call was a nickel corner blitz with Poole. 

Against the mediocore offenses of the Rams, 49ers, and Panthers (hangover) teams, and our D still gave up 32 to Drew Brees in week 17....

Posted (edited)

Armstrong? No question as his firing was long overdue.

Sark? Look past the numbers...he had to go. Would have been fine with him staying on in a capacity that didnt involve playcalling. For everyone saying we finished high in XYZ category as justification, it seemed pretty clear to me that if we had an OC that could adjust and be less predictable, we'd have been even better on Offense.

Manual? Seemed pretty clear that what Quinn envisioned for our defense's performance and playcalling and what Manual was delivering were not in lockstep. That will get you relieved of your duties quickly.

Edited by ATL Fan in the DMV
⚡Slumerican⚡ likes this

18 minutes ago, 81KJW said:

What Matt Ryan does the best choke and gets coaches fired lol I think it's funny the next offensive  Coordinators is gonna get the same treatment. 

An argument can be made that Matt's actually carrying those OCs farther than they should... not the other way around.

See, here's the thing... None of those OCs have had much success without Ryan. When they were with different QBs (either before, after, or both), they pretty much were serviceable at best, if not down right bad.

Meanwhile, Ryan has been constantly one of the top QBs in the NFL no matter who his OC happens to be.

So perhaps he made several of them appear to be much better than they really are.

Posted (edited)

49 minutes ago, The Don™ said:

If reading between the lines, Quinn pretty much made his decision based on that five game losing streak...He talked about it during the press conference and on 92.9.

Also, about Sark...here's a disturbing stat that made me open my eyes about him. He did good vs weak teams but sucked against quality competition overall. I am not surprised he's gone.

HEL-LOW-OHH!

Edited by mqg96
Geneaut likes this

2 minutes ago, Geneaut said:

1. Most of Matt's OCs haven't been fired. The vast majority of them have been offered HC positions. Sark will probably be the first who hasn't been. Even Koetter, who wasn't fired, ended up being a HC. Shanny rode Matt's 2016 performance to a 6 year contract in SF.

2. Why even mention Matt in a thread about assistant coaches? Answer: Agenda

3. I don't care how long you've been here.

4. You once famously claimed Matt didn't have the football IQ to run Mularkey's offense. That should be the \thread there.

no, every single OC here having trashed on these boards  that's what  I'm referring to

1 minute ago, 81KJW said:

no, every single OC here having trashed on these boards  that's what  I'm referring to

You said:

"What Matt Ryan does the best choke and gets coaches fired "

3 minutes ago, k-train said:

An argument can be made that Matt's actually carrying those OCs farther than they should... not the other way around.

See, here's the thing... None of those OCs have had much success without Ryan. When they were with different QBs (either before, after, or both), they pretty much were serviceable at best, if not down right bad.

Meanwhile, Ryan has been constantly one of the top QBs in the NFL no matter who his OC happens to be.

So perhaps he made several of them appear to be much better than they really are.

wow, this is what  I'm talking about.  

Posted (edited)

56 minutes ago, The Don™ said:

and according to my calculations, Shanahan against playoff teams for 2 seasons EXCLUDING defensive TD's averaged 26 points per game, and that's when there was no helmet rule yet. 

Edited by mqg96

1 minute ago, Geneaut said:

You said:

"What Matt Ryan does the best choke and gets coaches fired "

.. yes matt Ryan had got a lot of coaches fired like Smith ...

11 minutes ago, k-train said:

I hope he reads this, but unfortunately I doubt he'll actually understand it.. Good post ;)

Geneaut likes this

1 hour ago, k-train said:

IMO it really seemed like the offense finished well overall in spite of Sark, not really because of him.

He wasn't horrible, but his play calling left a lot to be desired over several large chunks throughout the season & that made his inexperience at this level very obvious.

When you are given the weapons he had access to, there is basically no room for error, and there really shouldn't be any reason for an offense like that to be so inconsistent.

A competent OC with some NFL experience should've easily had us in the top 5, but Sark couldn't do that.

Yes, the o-line was abysmal thanks in part to injuries, but a good coach would figure out a way to adjust in order to make it less on an issue & to mask their deficiencies... but Sark couldn't do that either.

Pretty sure other NFL teams know who he is... a guy who was out of his element... and I'd be kinda surprised if he gets another shot coaching in the NFL.

But wouldn't one figure that having Greg Knapp on staff would help Sark with the offense, including the play-calling.  IMO, if Greg Knapp had any better input, he would have been put in charge earlier in the season but that hasn't happened either.  Those kind of details make me think that "average tierr" coordinators might have had the same outcomes, and unless we get an upper tier coordinator this season we will be in the same situation if similar injury circumstances occur in 2019. 

2 hours ago, FalconJim said:

For the record, I'm alright with the firings.  But I'll be curious to see if any of them are picked up by another NFL team. 
If they don't, you have to feel that the right decision was made... 

wouldn't matter either way. it's done now. 

59 minutes ago, The Don™ said:

If reading between the lines, Quinn pretty much made his decision based on that five game losing streak...He talked about it during the press conference and on 92.9.

Also, about Sark...here's a disturbing stat that made me open my eyes about him. He did good vs weak teams but sucked against quality competition overall. I am not surprised he's gone.

This. Our offense's sheer talent was enough to beat down a lot of teams, but against teams with similar levels of talent, they weren't put into positions to succeed and utilize matchups enough.

The playcalling was also atrocious if we were ever down against a team.

Manuel was plain bad without Debo. No excuses. Deserved to go.

Armstrong was long overdue.

In short - yeah, they deserved to go.