Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
FalconJim

Did We Make The Right Decision In Firing All 3 Coordinators?

118 posts in this topic

For the record, I'm alright with the firings.  But I'll be curious to see if any of them are picked up by another NFL team. 
If they don't, you have to feel that the right decision was made... 

PokerSteve likes this

2 minutes ago, PokerSteve said:

I don't know about Sark, but the response to Manuel's availability has been somewhat less than fast and furious. :ninja:

LOL!  I heard that.  To me, Manuel looked like a high school coach, or a college coach (at best), and didn't seem like he could/would command very much respect from his players. 
I think a few of them may catch on with another team, but probably in a lower capacity than they were fired from --- but I wish them all luck! 

PokerSteve likes this

1 minute ago, FalconJim said:

LOL!  I heard that.  To me, Manuel looked like a high school coach, or a college coach (at best), and didn't seem like he could/would command very much respect from his players. 
I think a few of them may catch on with another team, but probably in a lower capacity than they were fired from --- but I wish them all luck! 

When I watched Manuel's defense, I was like Vince...

I believe all the decisions were right except for Marquand Manuel. Defense isn't changing in 2019 whether Quinn was taking over calling plays or had Manuel stayed. Quinn has always had complete control of the defense since he got here. Some people still don't understand that tho. 

Halcon-1 and nolove4thecrook like this

IMO it really seemed like the offense finished well overall in spite of Sark, not really because of him.

He wasn't horrible, but his play calling left a lot to be desired over several large chunks throughout the season & that made his inexperience at this level very obvious.

When you are given the weapons he had access to, there is basically no room for error, and there really shouldn't be any reason for an offense like that to be so inconsistent.

A competent OC with some NFL experience should've easily had us in the top 5, but Sark couldn't do that.

Yes, the o-line was abysmal thanks in part to injuries, but a good coach would figure out a way to adjust in order to make it less on an issue & to mask their deficiencies... but Sark couldn't do that either.

Pretty sure other NFL teams know who he is... a guy who was out of his element... and I'd be kinda surprised if he gets another shot coaching in the NFL.

I actually think Manual could possibly be a good DC at some point, but he's not even remotely close to that point yet. DQ got a bit ambitious placing him in that position so early on & should've given him a few more years of seasoning as a position coach.

vitaman and Ergo Proxy like this

Just like all our other cast aways, they'll ride off into the sunset and never be heard from again. Sark can make a comeback, but it's going to take years of experience and probably being fired a few more times.. But if he grinds it out I believe one day he'll be back.. 

Armstrong is washing cars somewhere right about now and MM is probably signing up to coach rec ball

Halcon-1 and PokerSteve like this

6 minutes ago, ⚡Slumerican⚡ said:

Just like all our other cast aways, they'll ride off into the sunset and never be heard from again. Sark can make a comeback, but it's going to take years of experience and probably being fired a few more times.. But if he grinds it out I believe one day he'll be back.. 

Armstrong is washing cars somewhere right about now and MM is probably signing up to coach rec ball

I get the hyperbole, but MM would be a fine position coach again.

Armstrong definitely needed to go a few years ago. But they tried to get him some Teams guys the last couple of years, and he didn't do anything with them.

I think the timing worked out badly with Smith moving on a couple of years ago, and needing a replacement for him, while also having planned for MM to be that replacement (farther) down the line.

I'm actually a bit concerned about the Offensive Continuity. I think the better move would have been to hold onto Sark and get the OGs and RT fixed. ...and I'm in the minority here, but I REALLY don't like our RBs.

Yes, we needed major changes and people to be held accountable. I think even Quinn knows if he screws up next year he is out. This was the right decision especially Armstrong as our ST's have sucked for a long time.

Yes. Sark was the only one I thought had an outside lane to come back, but overall Manuel sucked and Armstrong has been terrible for years. All the people who hate TD don't look at how coaching matters more than any one GM. Armstrong had Andre Roberts, who is a Pro Bowler and All Pro just one year after being a bum in Atlanta. 

18 minutes ago, ya_boi_j said:

Nope

Agree 100 %.... Sark was fired with similar numbers that got Shanahan a head coaching gig

Everybody and they Mama was talking top 5 defense the beginning of the season...the man **** near lost his entire defense and it's obvious the depth was horrible...if  Manuel was at fault...why didn't Quinn fire him or take control a long time ago...

Armstrong was the right decision..

While I don't agree....I'm giving Quinn a shot to make it right....but he definitely sitting on a pile of coal with the match ready to strike

papachaz likes this

First off, they only fired two.

Armstrong was a a easy call. It was time. 

Sark, though his great QB put up outstanding numbers. It was a obivious case of the talent carrying a poor run offense. The offense had no direction, was poorly coached was evident in the execution, and game plans were not on point. It makes sense to fire him. 

MM wasn't fired, just not renewed. Im sure Quinn stood on the side line and watched alot of his calls and thought " he should've called this or done that" or " I would've done this" . Quinn wants to take over the running of the defense and he should. That's his thing and what he what bought in for. If he is gonna take over, not reason to keep MM. Let him find a job that he is calling plays.

1 hour ago, PokerSteve said:

I don't know about Sark, but the response to Manuel's availability has been somewhat less than fast and furious. :ninja:

my only thoughts about any part of this being wrong was armstrong should have BEEN gone a long time ago.....I don't see any reports of any other team clamoring or fighting to be first in line for him either

PokerSteve likes this

6 minutes ago, RING OF HONOR said:

Agree 100 %.... Sark was fired with similar numbers that got Shanahan a head coaching gig

Everybody and they Mama was talking top 5 defense the beginning of the season...the man **** near lost his entire defense and it's obvious the depth was horrible...if  Manuel was at fault...why didn't Quinn fire him or take control a long time ago...

Armstrong was the right decision..

While I don't agree....I'm giving Quinn a shot to make it right....but he definitely sitting on a pile of coal with the match ready to strike

Match??? more like a blow torch....

RING OF HONOR and PokerSteve like this

Posted (edited)

I think MM and Armstrong will get snapped up by other teams. A few years ago Armstrong was being interviewed for HC jobs, and Arians has always been a big supporter of his so if BA gets back in the biz he may have a shot there at least.

In 2008 he did coach a STs unit that ( at least at the time ) had the fewest punt yards returned against them in a 16 game NFL season ( 49 yards ). 

We did sign a kid off the street to play FG kicker for us, and we didn't miss a beat.

Hall was in the Top 10 on KRs 2018.

Football Outsiders has us as their #10 STs in 2018

Everyone here hates him for our PR game. All the rest of his STs game looks top notch to me.

He still had the best line in "Hard Knocks' LOL

Edited by Geneaut
PokerSteve likes this

I would be surprised to see Sark or Manuel get a job as an NFL coordinator anywhere.

If I was a betting man, I'd bet on Sark going back to college and Manuel finding a job as a position coach in the NFL (coaching DB's somewhere).

If reading between the lines, Quinn pretty much made his decision based on that five game losing streak...He talked about it during the press conference and on 92.9.

Also, about Sark...here's a disturbing stat that made me open my eyes about him. He did good vs weak teams but sucked against quality competition overall. I am not surprised he's gone.

Ergo Proxy and PokerSteve like this