Cole World

Falcons will pick up SS Keanu Neal's fifth-year option

30 posts in this topic

Am I the only one beginning to think Bealey might not be around next year? Usually the players you're sure you want to keep you pick up a year before you have to. Beasley still not being guaranteed yet says the FO is on the fence with him. 

5 minutes ago, CrimsonFalcon said:

Beasley was drafted higher than Neal, which is one of the main reason's its lower.

I know.

9 minutes ago, MD-FalconFan13 said:

Am I the only one beginning to think Bealey might not be around next year? Usually the players you're sure you want to keep you pick up a year before you have to. Beasley still not being guaranteed yet says the FO is on the fence with him. 

FO has already mentioned that Beasley has upside they can work with and that they'd like to consider extension talks with him. However, he will only be back at a price the FO is comfortable with. If they can't agree to one, he won't be back.

Ergo Proxy and mtldirtybird like this

1 minute ago, ATL Fan in the DMV said:

FO has already mentioned that Beasley has upside they can work with and that they'd like to consider extension talks with him. However, he will only be back at a price the FO is comfortable with. If they can't agree to one, he won't be back.

makes you wonder how beasly values himself. Even he has to know hes not the pass rusher he was expected to be.

ATL Fan in the DMV likes this

11 minutes ago, MD-FalconFan13 said:

He isn't worth 12mil based on production. But there's also the idea that the money also buys you the ability to tag, trade, or resign him if he manages to put up a good year. An 8 sack season would make him a valuable commodity.

2 hours ago, ATL Fan in the DMV said:

I think we should keep him in that way but if he wants too much money then, unfortunately, he didn't earn it with his play this season.

2 minutes ago, mtldirtybird said:

I think we should keep him in that way but if he wants too much money then, unfortunately, he didn't earn it with his play this season.

I mentioned earlier in the season they should use him as a situational pass rusher... obvious pass downs and unleash him fresh in the 4th qrt...that also means a lower contract.  He isn't a every down end...they started doing that and he finished strong...granted it was against lower talented teams but he did improve...that's his role...if he agrees keep him....if he doesn't...walk him to the door

7 minutes ago, RING OF HONOR said:

I mentioned earlier in the season they should use him as a situational pass rusher... obvious pass downs and unleash him fresh in the 4th qrt...that also means a lower contract.  He isn't a every down end...they started doing that and he finished strong...granted it was against lower talented teams but he did improve...that's his role...if he agrees keep him....if he doesn't...walk him to the door

This may be a place where his lack of 'dog' could help us. If he's happy playing in Atlanta, and is willing to concede he's not an every-down player that could work in our favor. There's an agent involved so who knows.

RING OF HONOR likes this

2 hours ago, falcon1fan said:

makes you wonder how beasly values himself. Even he has to know hes not the pass rusher he was expected to be.

He and Grady have the same agent so the question is how much inflation to Beasley's head that agent will provide.  And, if Grady gets a big deal before him, Beasley is going to want the same initially. 

The only thing we can hope for is that the rest of the league has watched enough video of Beasley this year to realize he is not the greatest rusher in the league.  Ideally, the Falcons turn down his option, he then goes out and finds no great offers and comes back to the Falcons just begging for a one-year deal.

2 hours ago, jlrfalcon said:

He and Grady have the same agent so the question is how much inflation to Beasley's head that agent will provide.  And, if Grady gets a big deal before him, Beasley is going to want the same initially. 

The only thing we can hope for is that the rest of the league has watched enough video of Beasley this year to realize he is not the greatest rusher in the league.  Ideally, the Falcons turn down his option, he then goes out and finds no great offers and comes back to the Falcons just begging for a one-year deal.

sadly some team will overpay

4 hours ago, ATL Fan in the DMV said:

Yep.

We need results. No more Reed playing base DE and not making enough tackles himself because Vic can only play vs the pass. Only to have neither do well at their role!

Now, Vic did improve down the stretch as a pass rusher.

The CONTEXT is his $13M hit coming on the option.

You don't pay THAT...4th highest player...for literally bare minimum results.

4 minutes ago, falcon1fan said:

sadly some team will overpay

Honestly, if McCoy is cut I'd rather use some of the savings by letting Vic walk on him. Get after the passer. Use cap space wisely. Vic would want a better multi-year deal than we could construct and as someone else mentioned you probably get Irvin back on the deal we'd want Vic to sign.

Vic wants his first 'pay day'. I'm prepared to let him walk IF necessary.

McCoy plus another move instead of $13M on Vic? Yes please or something to that effect. Even if it leveraged OL moves in FA and we could draft D instead. Takk/Irvin/1st + Grady/McCoy/Crawford(Senat year 2 leap?) + FA OL

Yes, that's way better than:

Takk/Irvin/Vic + Grady/Crawford/1st or 2nd?(Senat year 2 leap) and NO FA OL or a mid-tier instead of a major FA move. We can make 2 major FA moves by moving around Vic's money.

6 hours ago, Cole World said:

It's a good thing the Safety market is cheap these days.

We buy a extra year before negotiating a deal. 

I don't think that has much to do with it, the difference is in draft position Vic's is so high because he was the 8th overall pick. Neal was picked at 17 if I recall correctly.

Posted (edited)

17 hours ago, rcky_mtn_falcon said:

I don't think that has much to do with it, the difference is in draft position Vic's is so high because he was the 8th overall pick. Neal was picked at 17 if I recall correctly.

Bro yes it does. Read the excerpt below.

[For top-10 picks, the amount of each player’s 2019 option has already been determined. The fifth-year salary for a top-10 pick is equal to the transition tender at the player’s position during his fourth season. So, because the transition tag for quarterbacks this year was $20.922MM, we already know that Mariota’s fifth-year option will be worth that amount.

For first-rounders picked outside the top 10, the calculation is a little more complicated. These players’ fifth-year option also relies on the previous year’s salaries at the player’s position, but it’s determined by the average of the third through 25th top salaries at that position. So we could come up with estimates for the 2019 option salary for players like Melvin GordonByron Jones, and Trae Waynes, but they’re not set in stone quite yet.]

Edited by Cole World

48 minutes ago, Ergo Proxy said:

Honestly, if McCoy is cut I'd rather use some of the savings by letting Vic walk on him. Get after the passer. Use cap space wisely. Vic would want a better multi-year deal than we could construct and as someone else mentioned you probably get Irvin back on the deal we'd want Vic to sign.

Vic wants his first 'pay day'. I'm prepared to let him walk IF necessary.

McCoy plus another move instead of $13M on Vic? Yes please or something to that effect. Even if it leveraged OL moves in FA and we could draft D instead. Takk/Irvin/1st + Grady/McCoy/Crawford(Senat year 2 leap?) + FA OL

Yes, that's way better than:

Takk/Irvin/Vic + Grady/Crawford/1st or 2nd?(Senat year 2 leap) and NO FA OL or a mid-tier instead of a major FA move. We can make 2 major FA moves by moving around Vic's money.

i just worry about mccoys age. He was a beast, but definitely on the decline. We need to go younger in my opinion. Ive always been a fan of mccoy

⚡Slumerican⚡ likes this

Posted (edited)

10 minutes ago, falcon1fan said:

i just worry about mccoys age. He was a beast, but definitely on the decline. We need to go younger in my opinion. Ive always been a fan of mccoy

Yeah, that's why McCoy would just be a rental. 2 year as a rotational player; not the snaps of a Poe but way better with the snaps McClain got.

You always go younger for long-term success and try to get some FAs year to year that can fit what your vision is for scheme and roster construction year to year. Step 1 is draft.

Players of your own will hit FA and some are losses in value. Again, FA can help but you can't become overspenders and suffer later not being able to sign your own by overpaying in UFA. VERY selective in FA choices.

We tried the develop an OG route with Wes after Chester retired. Didn't work out right away to say the least. Might take him next year to stick or not. Fusco had to come in when that failed. He gets hurt. Issue is draft/development timing with roster overturn. You have only so much control and it's why you must nail your picks to have a shot when FA bites you.

Edited by Ergo Proxy