Cole World

Deadrin Senat rookie season in comparison to Grady Jarrett rookie year

131 posts in this topic

Senat had to fight for reps just like Jarrett who found himself in a four player rotation at DT his rookie season.

In 2015 Jarrett was in a 4 player rotation with Soliai, Babineaux, and Hageman. 

In 2018 Senat was in 4 player rotation with Jarrett, McClain, and Crawford.

The numbers both players put up their rookie season are pretty similar.

Grady Jarrett:  24 Tackles, 4 TFL's, 2 QB hits, 1 sack

Deadrin Senat: 30 Tackles, 2 TFL's, 3 QB hits, 0 sacks

I'm not saying Senat will turn out to be like Jarrett, but with a offseason to develop more I think he could hold down the NT spot like Seahawks former NT Brandon Mebane. Who is also similar in size. If we do draft a DT I don't think we will be drafting a NT. We will be looking for a 3 down player like a Jeffery Simmons.

“A lot of people are saying that I’m not tall enough or I’m not the perfect height for this position. But I’ve been told that my whole life and I’m still proving a lot of people wrong, I just need an opportunity, and once I get the opportunity I’m going to take it and run with it.” -Deadrin Senat-

Senat had quality reps against some pretty good centers in Pouncey and Kelce this year.

atlbaby, PokerSteve, Vandy and 12 others like this

Lot of the same similarities as Grady. Senat is going to play well as part of our DL rotation this season and will just keep on getting better. He's gotten doubted and disrespected for being short and sqat his whole football life and he's overcome it. He has the make-up to continue to succeed and will do so.

So who's idea is the rotation? I'm not saying it's a good idea or a bad one, but sometimes the wrong guys are on the field and you can see other teams take advantage. Other times we get hit with the 12th man call. It can be a real mess out there. 

Flying Falcon likes this

5 minutes ago, Cole World said:

Senat had to fight for reps just like Jarrett who found himself in a four player rotation at DT his rookie season.

In 2015 Jarrett was in a 4 player rotation with Soliai, Babineaux, and Hageman. 

In 2018 Senat was in 4 player rotation with Jarrett, McClain, and Crawford.

The numbers both players put up their rookie season are pretty similar.

I'm not saying Senat will turn out to be like Jarrett, but with a offseason to develop more I think he could hold down the NT spot like Seahawks former NT Brandon Mebane. Who is also similar in size. If we do draft a DT I don't think we will be drafting a NT. We will be looking for a 3 down player like a Jeffery Simmons.

Senat had quality reps against some pretty good centers in Pouncey and Kelce this year.

We should have probably taken D. Hand in the 2nd or 3rd.  I think he was available before we picked Ito in the 4th.  That said, if Oliver allows us to save money while gaining effectiveness over Alford....the move was warranted.  Deadrin has a lot of promise.  I think the biggest thing for him is eye discipline and reading the keys.  When he is in attack mode he is a very good penetrator and most OL cant keep him from a good pursuit.  IDK if he is longterm 1 tech but he is definitely going to be part of the rotation.

3 minutes ago, Jesus said:

So who's idea is the rotation? I'm not saying it's a good idea or a bad one, but sometimes the wrong guys are on the field and you can see other teams take advantage. Other times we get hit with the 12th man call. It can be a real mess out there. 

I'm a little confused what point you're making. What's the alternative, leaving the same guys out there all game and getting them exhausted halfway through each game?

PokerSteve and Ergo Proxy like this

Just now, Lornoth said:

I'm a little confused what point you're making. What's the alternative, leaving the same guys out there all game and getting them exhausted halfway through each game?

For example:

Teams were exposing the fact that the run D line was out there. See the last game against the Saints. Brooks Reed on the field they pass, Vic, they run. It's not about exhausting guys but the Falcons would change all the pieces on the field and smart teams took advantage. 

7 minutes ago, Jesus said:

For example:

Teams were exposing the fact that the run D line was out there. See the last game against the Saints. Brooks Reed on the field they pass, Vic, they run. It's not about exhausting guys but the Falcons would change all the pieces on the field and smart teams took advantage. 

Yeah, this was a big issue for us. Too many one dimensional players on this team. It is ok to have a couple one dimensional players, but teams really started to abuse our defensive line rotations. We need stout defensive ends that can play both the pass and run.

Beasley is definitely not worth his option, but he can still be a useful piece for us. A lot of our success against mobile QB's is having his ability to spy while leaving our line backers in coverage. I would love to have him back at a discounted price

GrimeyKidd and Flying Falcon like this

7 minutes ago, Jesus said:

For example:

Jesus you bring up a good point. It actually started two weeks before in the Cleveland game and then Dallas did it some the following week. After back to back weeks of teams exploiting our packages Quinn decided it wise to inactive one of our best run defenders (Senat) because he claimed he needed more pass rushers. All the Saints did was take advantage of the bum McClain and Crawford who is a average pass rushers, but a liability against the run.

That's why we need more 3 down players on the line. Yes, we can get away with it if was just 1 player i.e. the NT, but when you basically have to remove 3/4 of your players (Shelby, Reed, and NT) to get into a different package it's a problem.

Bquinn_11 and Flying Falcon like this

12 minutes ago, Atlantafan21 said:

I like Senat a lot and he definitely should’ve gotten more snaps, but DT is still a big need for us and we need to get one of the DTs in this loaded DL class. 

and I think we will. History shows that Quinn normally runs with 4 DTs on his roster each year.

Jarrett will be under contract along with Senat and Crawford. It's still one spot available.

Ergo Proxy likes this

It would be nice to pick up another solid DT in the draft and have 2 on rookie contracts and not have big expectations for the new guy and also get rid of Speedbump McClain.

Ergo Proxy and Cole World like this

41 minutes ago, Jesus said:

For example:

Exactly why I wanted Manuel gone. Clueless. Yes, DQ gives the "green light" but he let's his coordinators do things their way for a reason. 

8 minutes ago, vel said:

Exactly why I wanted Manuel gone. Clueless. Yes, DQ gives the "green light" but he let's his coordinators do things their way for a reason. 

He gives them a long leash, which is cool, if they are Shanahan. Manuel wasn't ready yet.

20 minutes ago, atljbo said:

I wonder would the Coaching Staff let Deadrin to get bigger to be our stable NT... At the east west shrine where he dominanted .. He weighted in at 322lbs

I forgot to mention that but I would like for him to get above 320.

I like Senat, but we got too cute and should have taken BJ Hill in the second. BJ Hill ended up with a monster season 5 sacks, and good run grades.

MD-FalconFan13 likes this

I like Senat but he's most likely never going to be the pass rusher Jarrett is. I'd rather see numbers for run stops or something like that other than sacks. 

7 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

Seems like a lot of TATFers are putting major trust in Senat. If I'm DQ I'm not. I'm trying to fix 1T with a solid vet free agent. There should be some out there. I saw Senat get tossed too many times this year. Hope yall are right.

It was his rookie year and he show promise.. better use the money for the OL.. 

15 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

Seems like a lot of TATFers are putting major trust in Senat. If I'm DQ I'm not. I'm trying to fix 1T with a solid vet free agent. There should be some out there. I saw Senat get tossed too many times this year. Hope yall are right.

Thoughts on signing a guy like Danny Shelton in FA and drafting another DT in the 1st or 2nd? If Simmons is there, hard to see him not being BPA.