Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DogIsYourName

Win final 3 games, fire entire staff

43 posts in this topic

We had a down year because of injuries.  Our next man could not always step up.  And now we will probably lose next year to coaching turnover.  

I don't like it.  Sometimes you just have bad luck.  Just because you didn't get the result you wanted doesn't mean someone must be fired.  But if someone is to blame, that would be TD.  He's the only one responsible for ensuring we have a good OL and backups who can still play.

Firing the whole staff just means our win streak will not give us any momentum into next year.  Instead, we just ruined our draft position for no reason.  Ironically, this makes TD's job harder--the one guy mostly to blame for 2018 in the first place.

18 minutes ago, DogIsYourName said:

We had a down year because of injuries.  Our next man could not always step up.  And now we will probably lose next year to coaching turnover.  

I don't like it.  Sometimes you just have bad luck.  Just because you didn't get the result you wanted doesn't mean someone must be fired.  But if someone is to blame, that would be TD.  He's the only one responsible for ensuring we have a good OL and backups who can still play.

Firing the whole staff just means our win streak will not give us any momentum into next year.  Instead, we just ruined our draft position for no reason.  Ironically, this makes TD's job harder--the one guy mostly to blame for 2018 in the first place.

TD just crunches numbers the team is on DQs shoulder, if all the coornidators were fired since he's the one who hired them and implemented the game plan he should've went packing with them. DQ had all year to fix this, when the injuries hit in the beginning of the season, he said he hand picked these guys, they could get the job done and we didn't need any outside help. This is ALL on DQ and DQ alone. 

Halcon-1, Vandy, falcons007 and 2 others like this

2 minutes ago, B_Lo_Touchdowns said:

TD just crunches numbers the team is on DQs shoulder, if all the coornidators were fired since he's the one who hired them and implemented the game plan he should've went packing with them. DQ had all year to fix this, when the injuries hit in the beginning of the season, he said he hand picked these guys, they could get the job done and we didn't need any outside help. This is ALL on DQ and DQ alone. 

Agreed. He is officially in the hot seat. 

1 minute ago, Vandy said:

Agreed. He is officially in the hot seat. 

He's been on the hot seat since Feb 16. The chair is now a pile of amber coals and gray ash

Vandy likes this

4 minutes ago, B_Lo_Touchdowns said:

DQ seat is lot warmer now. He admitted his mistakes, hopefully he will fix things. AB will send him packing next year with another losing season. 

There doesn't appear to be any question that DQ and TD are taking the blame for everything that happened. That's pretty refreshing to see. No doubt they know there aren't a lot of second chances coming up. The team's struggles were more based on personnel than anything else, except on defense where the scheme was never adjusted to deal with issues.  They can and should right this ship. 

PokerSteve likes this

Posted (edited)

Everyone is going to have a different opinion, that's ok.  I don't expect the same staff to take this team anywhere based off of what I saw in 2017 and 2018.  Were their injuries, yes.  Your team definitely does lose something when that happens.  Depth is the GM's responsibility and that wasn't great in some places.  Personally, I see why all 3 were fired and I was fine with it.

1.  Sark was a mistake.  He somehow was able to get an NFL jobs of a very high profile nature after leaving USC after 2 years due to personal issues.  I just think we were too close for someone with NO NFL experience.  That 2 year experiment was a flop and now our offense and Matt Ryan have to pay the penalty.  Should have kept Matt LaFleur if we wanted momentum.  Didn't have that with Sark.

2.  Armstrong, he was in charge of special teams.  We were consistently bad for the last couple of years.  I know special teams is more than just the return game, but we get nothing out of it.  No reason why he should stick around.

3.  Manual, some may like him.  I just didn't see a defense that did anything other than lineup and try and make a tackle in front of them.  They just relied on the other team making a mistake or not executing.  CB's were never competitive.  Always gave guys too much room.  Were they coached up to play tighter?  Could not generate a pass rush with the front 4, ok, so get creative and bring extra guys.  Falcons rarely did that.  Defense was always back on their heels in my book.  I think their needs to be a new philosophy on D.

Edited by isproab

Lol @ win streak momentum. Dude you realize the Falcons won 4 in a row mid season then botched the rest of the games that mattered right? Winning those last three games never had any bearing on what happened to this team moving forward. 

These 3 can at least have this on their resumes and point out that they went out winning rather than losing (blame that on injuries).

8 minutes ago, Falcanuck said:

Lol @ win streak momentum. Dude you realize the Falcons won 4 in a row mid season then botched the rest of the games that mattered right? Winning those last three games never had any bearing on what happened to this team moving forward. 

Yeah that's a bunch of BS.

Momentum when it's a different team and the last game they played was 9 months ago.... 8 if you count pre-season.

Momentum... SMH..... it's like working your way up to running a 10 minute mile.... and then taking 9 months off. <_<

1 hour ago, DogIsYourName said:

Is this the same TD that assemble a team that went to the Super Bowl 2 years ago? So if he is mostly to blame for 2018, does he get most the credit for 2016?...............in your book I bet not. 

rings639 likes this

4 minutes ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

Yeah that's a bunch of BS.

Momentum when it's a different team and the last game they played was 9 months ago.... 8 if you count pre-season.

Momentum... SMH..... it's like working your way up to running a 10 minute mile.... and then taking 9 months off. <_<

Well, then why the **** are we out there winning the last three games against the SAME TEAMS that now have better draft spots than us?  Do we just want to have to trade up to get the same guys we already could've drafted by simply giving Matt Schaub some reps?

5 minutes ago, Caddieman said:

Is this the same TD that assemble a team that went to the Super Bowl 2 years ago? So if he is mostly to blame for 2018, does he get most the credit for 2016?...............in your book I bet not. 

I give TD credit.  I think he's a good GM overall.  His strategy is somewhat risky because he goes for a handful of studs rather than a team of all above-average players.  If nobody gets hurt, like in 2016, it can work out.

primetime likes this

21 minutes ago, Falcanuck said:

I often wonder about ppl who think momentum carries over to next year, if that was the case wouldn't that mean only 1 team would ever win because the momentum from the last super bowl should carry you to the next super bowl right?

1 minute ago, B_Lo_Touchdowns said:

I often wonder about ppl who think momentum carries over to next year, if that was the case wouldn't that mean only 1 team would ever win because the momentum from the last super should carry to to the next super bowl right?

This momentum thing was the only real reason to keep trying to win those games rather than play backups and see what we have.  I mean, if momentum isn't a thing then why were those last 3 weeks any different than preseason games?  And why could we manage to go 0-4 in preseason but win every single one of the games that matter for draft position?

23 minutes ago, isproab said:

Everyone is going to have a different opinion, that's ok. 

2.  Armstrong, he was in charge of special teams.  We were consistently bad for the last couple of years.  I know special teams is more than just the return game, but we get nothing out of it.  No reason why he should stick around.

3.  Manual, some may like him.  I just didn't see a defense that did anything other than lineup and try and make a tackle in front of them.  They just relied on the other team making a mistake or not executing.  CB's were never competitive.  Always gave guys too much room.  Were they coached up to play tighter?  Could not generate a pass rush with the front 4, ok, so get creative and bring extra guys.  Falcons rarely did that.  Defense was always back on their heels in my book.  I think their needs to be a new philosophy on D.

For me , specifically these.

Armstrong has been bad for years, and while TAFT was scream for Andre Roberts head, I was screaming for the bad ST coach.

Manual was definitely a sit back and let the plays come to you DC.

But who was in charge of letting Duke Riley see the field? Who was in charge of letting Richards stay on the field? Those "experiments" should have stopped after 1 game and Foye and Neasman should have been in sooner. To me that has to be on DQ and that is where the scapegoat talk has merit. DQ is in charge and should have made those adjustments immediately.

Shelley#37 likes this

1 minute ago, DogIsYourName said:

This momentum thing was the only real reason to keep trying to win those games rather than play backups and see what we have.  I mean, if momentum isn't a thing then why were those last 3 weeks any different than preseason games?  And why could we manage to go 0-4 in preseason but win every single one of the games that matter for draft position?

Because we are #Quinning

Fast,Physical, Fat and Nasty sounds like my ex 

DogIsYourName likes this

37 minutes ago, DogIsYourName said:

Coaches were coaching for their jobs. That’s why NFL teams don’t tank. I wish the Falcons lost all three, but I’ve fully conceded that tanking doesn’t happen in the NFL. 

We did have a down year because of injuries, but that does not earn the coordinators a free pass.

Injuries and poor performance by coaches are not mutually exclusive of one another.

Sark and Manuel had no clue as to how to adjust the offense and defense to address our issues (which went beyond injury). If you want to throw that on DQ as well then I certainly wouldn't argue. 

If we didn't address the problems on the coaching staff now, then we probably would have after 2019. If you want to say it takes a year to adjust to new coaches, then 2019 and 2020 would have both been lost.

The worst thing and easiest thing we could have done was give these coaches a free pass because of injury, and that would have set us back 2 years.

11=team likes this

1 hour ago, DogIsYourName said:

Why is "gluten free" a thing?

Are there people with gluten allergies?  Sure.  Is it everybody you know and their sister?  Probably not.

It's just another marketing thing they tell you to make you feel better and buy tickets and merchandise.