Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Geneaut

Former Falcons tight end Tony Gonzalez named Hall of Fame finalist

26 posts in this topic

I'm shocked. Flabbergasted even. LOL

https://www.atlantafalcons.com/news/former-falcons-tight-end-tony-gonzalez-named-hall-of-fame-finalist

The Pro Football Hall of Fame announced the 15 finalists for the Class of 2019 and former Falcons tight end Tony Gonzalez made the cut.

Gonzalez, who spent five seasons in Atlanta from 2009-13, would be a first-ballot Hall of Famer if he is voted in this year. Gonzalez started all 80 games during his five seasons with the Falcons and caught 409 passes for 4,187 yards and 35 touchdowns during that time. He was named to four Pro Bowls and one All-Pro team while playing in Atlanta.

Prior to joining the Falcons, Gonzalez earned the reputation as one of the best tight ends in league history while playing for the Kansas City Chiefs, who drafted him with the 13th-overall pick in the 1997 NFL Draft. While with the Chiefs, Gonzalez was named to 10 Pro Bowls and earned five All-Pro nods.

Gonzalez's 1,325 career receptions are the second-most in NFL history behind only Jerry Rice; his 15,127 career receiving yards are sixth-most all time and his 111 receiving touchdowns are eight-most all time.

The final members of the Class of 2019 will be during "NFL Honors," which will take place on Saturday, Feb. 2 - the night before Super Bowl LIII - at 9 p.m. ET on CBS.

Just now, Sidecar Falcon said:

TG deserves to be a first ballot HoFer. He was always the consummate athlete and always carried himself with integrity.

I remember Tony saying he said after practice every day catching like 100 extra passes just to strengthen his hands.. If Hooper does the same we'll have a **** good TE. Actually wish Ryan could set up some time for Tony and Hooper together. Hooper is growing on me and I'm pulling for the guy to be something special 

Geneaut likes this

Best pass-catching TE to ever play the game, and it's not really even close. The Jerry Rice of TEs if you will. An absolute, no doubt about it, slam-dunk first ballot HOFer if there ever was one. 

Geneaut and Vandy like this

1 minute ago, arrogantBEAST said:

I was thinking that. 

I'm going with 25% could happen but probably not. If we had gotten to that Superbowl in 13 it be 50/50

12 minutes ago, B_Lo_Touchdowns said:

What's the chances he goes in as a Falcon

It doesn't matter in the NFL. They just go in to the hall of fame and all their teams are listed on their bust. In the MLB they get to pick what hat the face on the plaque wears. That's all.

Tandy and theDIRTYcode like this

Just now, Jesus said:

It doesn't matter in the NFL. They just go in to the hall of fame and all their teams are listed on their bust. In the MLB they get to pick what hat the face on the plaque wears. That's all.

Deion chose to go in as a Falcon

2 minutes ago, B_Lo_Touchdowns said:

Deion chose to go in as a Falcon

Actually in Baseball the Hall of Fame decides. Here is an interview with the HOF from ESPN:

I: From our standpoint, the logo isn't something we want to be controversial, because the last thing you want is to have a divisive factor when someone's being celebrated with baseball's greatest honor. And for any player who played for multiple teams, the fans in each of those cities should claim that player to be their own. Because without that player's time with that team, he arguably would not have been a Hall of Famer. But we try to decide where the player made his most indelible mark.

P2: When you say, "We," who are the actual people who make this decision?

JI: Our senior staff, our research team. They'll look at a player's career numbers and look at the impact. And quite honestly, it's usually a no-brainer. Then we have a conversation with the player, because we wouldn't do something unilaterally.

For the Pro Football HOF it is this:

Obviously, teams take great pride in the accomplishments of individuals who have been a part of their organization.  Often individual teams and even the Hall of Fame will list enshrinees according to the team or teams on which they spent a significant period of time.  An enshrinee, however, is not asked to “declare,” nor does the Hall of Fame “choose” a team under which a new member is enshrined.  When elected to the Pro Football Hall of Fame, an individual is recognized for accomplishments as a player, coach, or contributor.

As usual Deion is full of it...or himself.

B_Lo_Touchdowns likes this

4 minutes ago, Jesus said:

Actually in Baseball the Hall of Fame decides. Here is an interview with the HOF from ESPN:

I: From our standpoint, the logo isn't something we want to be controversial, because the last thing you want is to have a divisive factor when someone's being celebrated with baseball's greatest honor. And for any player who played for multiple teams, the fans in each of those cities should claim that player to be their own. Because without that player's time with that team, he arguably would not have been a Hall of Famer. But we try to decide where the player made his most indelible mark.

P2: When you say, "We," who are the actual people who make this decision?

JI: Our senior staff, our research team. They'll look at a player's career numbers and look at the impact. And quite honestly, it's usually a no-brainer. Then we have a conversation with the player, because we wouldn't do something unilaterally.

For the Pro Football HOF it is this:

Obviously, teams take great pride in the accomplishments of individuals who have been a part of their organization.  Often individual teams and even the Hall of Fame will list enshrinees according to the team or teams on which they spent a significant period of time.  An enshrinee, however, is not asked to “declare,” nor does the Hall of Fame “choose” a team under which a new member is enshrined.  When elected to the Pro Football Hall of Fame, an individual is recognized for accomplishments as a player, coach, or contributor.

As usual Deion is full of it...or himself.

Marcus Allen, and LaDamien Thomlason also chose their teams. LT went in as a charger 

Marcus Allen went in as a Raider and Chief (2 teams) 

T.O. chose Philly over S.F. 

It seems as though you don't have to pick but you can

Just now, B_Lo_Touchdowns said:

Marcus Allen, and LaDamien Thomlason also chose thier teams. LT went in as a charger 

Marcus Allen went in as a Raider and Cheif (2 teams) 

T.O. chose Philly over S.F. 

It seems as though you don't have to pick but you can

No the Hall of Fame clearly states otherwise. Whatever the player says is meaningless.

B_Lo_Touchdowns likes this

Just now, Jesus said:

Whatever. The quote I provided above comes from the HOF website. They must be lying about the process then.

Sigh

No my bad Google gave me wrong info lmao

Jesus likes this

2 minutes ago, B_Lo_Touchdowns said:

No my bad Google gave me wrong info lmao

Honestly the entire name thing is a giveback to the fans or a kiss off to a particular former team. Marcus Allen hated the way the Raiders treated him, but he also knows that he was a super star there.