Goober Pyle

Schultz: Quinn, Dimitroff acknowledge mistakes made on roster, coaching staff

68 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, Zone#7 said:

Think the biggest mistake they made is letting go of veterans. That's the maintenant difference between seasons to me. 

And Smitty's mistake on this same kind of dark hour is keeping veterans that should've been let go. Same story, same ending, just different characters. 

1 hour ago, Doctor Kildare said:

It has been a problem for this organization for ten years. Dimitroff and his scouts have had a terrible time finding offensive line talent.

Ding ding ding.  We have a winner.  Dimitroff is terrible at drafting olinemen.  The only good draft pick he made on the oline was Jake Matthews and that took a top 6 draft pick.  I also wonder if Greg R was still available when we picked Jake Matthews, who he would have went with? 

sdogg likes this

6 hours ago, Goober Pyle said:

They believed they could let go of certain veterans because some young players would evolve into leaders. That didn’t happen.

They believed they didn’t need to make moves early in the season after injuries to significant starters because their depth would rescue them. Instead, it buried them.

Quinn acknowledged Thursday that there is at least one candidate, possibly more, he’s waiting to speak with after the playoffs. Keep an eye on Jedd Fisch, a friend of Quinn’s and a former offensive coordinator in Minnesota and Jacksonville who’s currently with the Los Angeles Rams as a “senior offensive assistant.”

@Vandy : We were ranting about lack of moves early in the season. Good too see DQ acknowledging the mistakes. 

God no Jedd Fisch, might just Hire DK or MM.

Vandy and ⚡Slumerican⚡ like this

6 hours ago, papachaz said:

ok someone shed some light on who Jed Fisch is and his qualifications, anyone know?

The guy may have some experience but whoa man.. He cannot hold a steady job... 

As coach:

9 hours ago, Hibachi said:

And Smitty's mistake on this same kind of dark hour is keeping veterans that should've been let go. Same story, same ending, just different characters. 

MS went through what DQ is going through same problem of not replacing veterans.  TD didn’t replenish the roster after Vets were let go. Falcons couldn’t replace Dahl, Michael Turner, Clabo, McClure, John Abraham, Lofton, Mike peterson ( who was decent LB). The lack of depth made them play UDFA at LB and OL in 2013 and 2014. 

momak, Flying Falcon, Vandy and 1 other like this

5 minutes ago, ParanoidAndroid said:

As coach:

He is terrible. 

6 hours ago, Zone#7 said:

Think the biggest mistake they made is letting go of veterans. That's the maintenant difference between seasons to me. 

They could have used a couple of the vets they let go but I don't think they would have had that great of an impact.

I'm OK with letting some guys go a year or two early as opposed to getting financially tied to players too long. It's not like any of the players they let go where lighting it up.

Once the injuries started piling up it was going to be a long season. I think they could have survived the typically week to week or occassional month absences. But one you send six starters to the IR, it's not going to be your year.

3 hours ago, Falcon Man™ said:

Dimarco was by far our biggest loss. 

Huge mistake letting him walk

3 hours ago, Draftnut57 said:

Ah HA!!!!!  I feel a lot better when I got about half way through this topic post,, Where Quinn said,, something I've posted several times in the last  5 or 10 post I've made,, He said,, The one single most important thing we must do,, is get the right OC .... Wow..! You don't know how much better I feel by hearing him make that statement ... I've mentioned this many times and tried to stress this fact. If we hire the wrong OC ,, We're sunk again next season,, get that hire right. and I think we will be hard to beat and also for sure in the playoffs next season.

And quinn was blunt af today loved it and i think we all needed to hear that . almost zero coach speak today

Vandy likes this

8 hours ago, RichardCNile said:

I felt DQ did,  but TD just avoided the obvious elephant in the room. OLine

I think that's more of a personality thing and less of a lack of ownership thing.

DQ has the bravado to say those things. TD's reserved demeanor in these terms and sitting next to a DQ doesn't tend towards those types of demonstrative statements.

7 hours ago, falcons007 said:

@Vandy : We were ranting about lack of moves early in the season. Good too see DQ acknowledging the mistakes. 

God no Jedd Fisch, might just Hire DK or MM.

A definitive shift in tone and in actions, my friend. Excited about what i’m seeing. 

15 hours ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

So let me get this straight,  you thought a guy you just picked up from the bottom of the Pats roster to play special teams was going to get the job done when Neal went down?

Holy crap someone needs to go tell Quinn to look at Smittys last two years and the oline and dline.

He more or less thought the same thing.  By the time he realized it,  it was too late.

He had one season to fix it but then he lost 4 starters on the oline and the season went down the drain. 

It's odd that Richards was a #2 pick and showed real speed at times, but yet couldn't seem to grasp how to play defense.

Stryka likes this

14 hours ago, 11=team said:

I like the candor DQ and TD owned their mistakes, admirable...I just hope we're winning and not retooling next year.

Isn’t it amazing no coach speak when your *** is on the line.

papachaz likes this

15 hours ago, slider said:

Salary Cap ****. Coach up average talent or get fired. With Grady and Julio draining the till, it won't get much better anytime soon I don't think. If the injuries stay away next year, the talent is there to go the distance. One thing you can't do again is baby these guys during pre-season. Get them ready for game speed and start fast because injuries will happen during the season and at least if you start fast maybe you can get guys back before the season is lost.

Some NFL Franchises are going to have to win Super Bowls paying their "Stars" top dollar if they are potential "HOFers". Falcons only have 2 of these kind (maybe 3). That Seahawks method is not going work every time, and should not. Sign others to shorter deals.

15 hours ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

So let me get this straight,  you thought a guy you just picked up from the bottom of the Pats roster to play special teams was going to get the job done when Neal went down?

Holy crap someone needs to go tell Quinn to look at Smittys last two years and the oline and dline.

He more or less thought the same thing.  By the time he realized it,  it was too late.

He had one season to fix it but then he lost 4 starters on the oline and the season went down the drain. 

Remember when 3 years straight the fans and media were screaming to get a pass rusher...    smitty and crew drafted guess who....... Tru in the first round and rocky the 2nd round.....     the game rewinds.     So in 2018 the media and fans were screaming to draft dline, cause our Dline terrible and who did we draft..... a WR in the first and A CB in the second.....   the failure of the falcons has always been a Dimitroff issue...  

papachaz likes this

Posted (edited)

14 hours ago, Gold4425 said:

IMHO Losing Tollio was big. Letting A C go, hurt. The loss of DiMarco and Hageman hurt. Being stubborn and not bringing back Feeney to help VB hurt. Losing Gabe to take the top off of defenses hurt. The Draft of Harlow instead of some other available OL's didn't work. But every team makes mistakes. To me the biggest mistake was " We are good like we are."

Losing Shanahan hurt.

His scheming and deception form a run-first offense was missed.

Look at what he's done with back-up QBs in San Francisco..

Edited by Rise
OilFuturesTrader19 likes this

11 hours ago, Falcon Man™ said:

We haven't had a decent NT since Gravy... 

Our team for over a decade has been way to light and thin, it's why we give up leads late in the game when both our under sized lines are gassed and get thrown around cause they are 20 lbs under weight. It's been an issue so long and is so obvious I'm befuddled we have not addressed it. Anytime we do get some bigger guys ont he OL or DL it usually pays off Gravy being the prime example.

PokerSteve likes this

9 hours ago, ParanoidAndroid said:

As coach:

9 hours ago, falcons007 said:

He is terrible. 

ok so in other words, we now have it narrowed down to this guy and Bevel, correct??  :ninja::ninja:

PokerSteve likes this

20 minutes ago, Rise said:

Losing Shanahan hurt.

His scheming and deception form a run-first offense was missed.

Look at what he's done with back-up QBs in San Francisco..

Eh.

The 49ers were pretty bad this year. The backup QBs played just like back up QBs. The team did get devastated by injuries but they still stunk.

8 minutes ago, papachaz said:

ok so in other words, we now have it narrowed down to this guy and Bevel, correct??  :ninja::ninja:

I wouldn’t rule out Kubaik and this guy seems to be a wild guess. I won’t be surprised if there is some one else. 

2 hours ago, Vandy said:

A definitive shift in tone and in actions, my friend. Excited about what i’m seeing. 

Better late than never. Hopefully this sets the tone for playing in January and February next year.

Vandy likes this

17 hours ago, tl;dr said:

All that matters is he will be the reason we hoist the Lombardi in Miami next February

The Jedd Fisch?!!

Championship!!!

SgC7i.gif

Come listen to my story bout a man named Jedd
just a poor consultant barely kept his family fed
then one day he got a call from his buddy Kubes
all of a sudden they were both working for Q...

Next thing you know old Jedd’s in the Super Bowl
Offense scoring TD’s and gettin’ on a roll,
Quinn told Jedd, you’re looking mighty good to me
but don’t let up, cause we can’t repeat 28-3!

tl;dr and papachaz like this

2 hours ago, papachaz said:

Bingo!

papachaz likes this

2 hours ago, falconfanEST1989 said:

Remember when 3 years straight the fans and media were screaming to get a pass rusher...    smitty and crew drafted guess who....... Tru in the first round and rocky the 2nd round.....     the game rewinds.     So in 2018 the media and fans were screaming to draft dline, cause our Dline terrible and who did we draft..... a WR in the first and A CB in the second.....   the failure of the falcons has always been a Dimitroff issue...  

Translation:

'troffed.

papachaz and falconfanEST1989 like this