Jump to content

If Quinn wants to keep the outside zone scheme.....


JDaveG
 Share

Recommended Posts

......doesn't that 1) narrow the available pool of realistic candidates (Kubiak, Bevell, maybe someone from the Rams or Chiefs); and therefore 2) rule out Mularkey, Koetter, etc.?

Those guys can run zone concepts, no doubt.  But "the outside zone scheme" is more specific than that.

I have a feeling -- and it's just that -- but I have a feeling that it's going to be Bevell or someone from a staff that runs the outside zone blocking scheme with a WCO offense.  He also said "the scheme" isn't going to change, which tells me the passing scheme will basically remain as-is (which is a positive in my book).

Am I reading this wrong?  I'd like to believe they wouldn't hire Koetter and handcuff him to a passing and blocking scheme he's never coached before.

Right?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Looks to me like it's either same scheme (Bevell, Kubiak) or an offense Matt has already played in before (Mularky, Koetter).  I would assume the thinking is they are not going to waste 2+ years of Matt's prime to make him learn yet another offense (not to mention the rest of the offensive pieces as well).

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Brewcrew said:

Looks to me like it's either same scheme (Bevell, Kubiak) or an offense Matt has already played in before (Mularky, Koetter).  I would assume the thinking is they are not going to waste 2+ years of Matt's prime to make him learn yet another offense (not to mention the rest of the offensive pieces as well).

 

This. Same or old school scheme. Ryan is not going to learn another Offense. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Brewcrew said:

Looks to me like it's either same scheme (Bevell, Kubiak) or an offense Matt has already played in before (Mularky, Koetter).  I would assume the thinking is they are not going to waste 2+ years of Matt's prime to make him learn yet another offense (not to mention the rest of the offensive pieces as well).

 

I can see the wisdom in Mularkey or Koetter, but having said that, he said in the presser we are still going to run the "outside zone scheme."  Neither Mularkey nor Koetter runs anything close to that, really.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, PriMeTiiMe said:

This. Same or old school scheme. Ryan is not going to learn another Offense. 

But that's the point -- Quinn didn't say "same or old school" (which, again, I'm fine with either).  He said specifically the offensive scheme is not going to change.  As I see it, that rules out Mularkey and Koetter.

It's not uncommon for teams to bring in coaches for interviews to help them polish their interview skills or to help raise their brand.  That's what this looks like right now.  Because if we keep the outside zone run game and a WCO, but ask either Koetter or Mularkey to run it, I'm pretty much writing Quinn off as an eccentric who just throws **** at the wall to see if it will stick.  And I don't think that's what he is.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Reading some of you tea leaf whisperers on here is like watching the videos that break down hidden clues in blockbuster movie trailers. :lol:

As for the subject, I doubt they'd go with anything Matt hasn't run and that doesn't suit our personnel. We don't have the bodies to just change OL philosophy at the blink of an eye. So, I suspect it'll be just  as you describe for the most part. 

Whether that suits Koetter or not is definitely a question mark. I don't think Mularkey is seriously even in the conversation here.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, since68andcounting said:

I don't even see the point of giving Mularkey an interview. 

1) He doesn't run zone

2) He's the most predictable play caller I've ever seen

3) He was Matt's "starter OC"

 

4 minutes ago, RandomFan said:

Koetter and Mularkey might just be interviewing for the newly created game management position instead of offensive coordinator.

I'd wager they're interviewing Koetter and Mularkey just to give them an interview and pad their resume.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, falcons007 said:

Bevell will be the OC. The other interviews are smoke and mirrors to show AB that DQ isn’t hiring his buddy. They jumped the gun on Sark fast. I bet Matt Ryan is talking to them and will influence the decision.

He's the guy I expect.  But given that they're waiting a little for teams in the playoffs, I wouldn't be shocked to see someone we haven't really thought of.  Several teams in the playoffs run the same basic scheme as us.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, falcons007 said:

Bevell will be the OC. The other interviews are smoke and mirrors to show AB that DQ isn’t hiring his buddy. They jumped the gun on Sark fast. I bet Matt Ryan is talking to them and will influence the decision.

 

If that were the case why wasn't he hired as QB coach last year instead of Knapp?  Then he would have been ready to step in.  

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, JDaveG said:

He's the guy I expect.  But given that they're waiting a little for teams in the playoffs, I wouldn't be shocked to see someone we haven't really thought of.  Several teams in the playoffs run the same basic scheme as us.

No doubt, I think Kubaik isn’t out yet. Personally I would say Bevell should be favorite now realistically.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, falcons007 said:

Bevell took a year off. I doubt he wants to be a QB coach. 

 

He interviewed for the QB coach position along with Knapp.   You think we offered it and he said, no thanks I'll sit out a year?  Not saying you're wrong, I'm just not as confident he is the ultimate target or I think they likely would have already hired him.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Brewcrew said:

 

He interviewed for the QB coach position along with Knapp.   You think we offered it and he said, no thanks I'll sit out a year?  Not saying you're wrong, I'm just not as confident he is the ultimate target or I think they likely would have already hired him.

I wouldn’t say ultimate target but favorite. Bevell interviewed for other OC positions last year too.  I do think AB is heavily involved with Ryan influencing the decision. It’s either Bevell or some one with WCO experience. I think MM and DK is more for game management, both were HC. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...