Sidecar Falcon

Offensive Line Rankings

77 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, kiwifalcon said:

Munchaks a power guy so you’d be doing alot of retooling upfront if we grabbed him.12th overall how can that be according to TAFT we must be at least in the bottom half of the league not the top.

The only lineman the Falcons are legitimately committed to past 2019 is Matthews and he is a high enough talent player to fit any scheme. The Falcons need a bunch of new players no matter what. 

Ergo Proxy likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Summerhill said:

The only lineman the Falcons are legitimately committed to past 2019 is Matthews and he is a high enough talent player to fit any scheme. The Falcons need a bunch of new players no matter what. 

Munchak is a ZBS guy but he also incorporates power scheme as well. So the “retooling” process is a moot point.

Summerhill and kiwifalcon like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is no OL coach that can cure Schraeder's feet being stuck in the ground while rushers go around him or whomever we had a right guard getting destroyed.  Wes wasn't amazing but better than last year.  Jake looked good much of the season along with Mack (who was down from previous years).  As far as the ranking, it doesn't match the eye test and I think it looks better because we did have really good games.   I would love to see our OL ranking running the ball and on 3rd down passing.

Ergo Proxy likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Vandy said:

Not great, but also not near as bad as the TAFTers all claimed it was either. 

 

People don’t want to hear it, but the line was only bad for 5 games.  Improved a lot the last quarter of the year.  Ty & Beadles even did great the last 2 games

Geneaut and Vandy like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Atlantafan21 said:

The rankings just go to show how terrible the o-lines are in this league. Our o-line was terrible for the majority of the season, yet came out in the top 12. 

And that shows just how bad our DL is. OL's across the league are bad and yet our DL cannot sustain a consistent pass rush. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

12 minutes ago, Monolith2001 said:

There is no OL coach that can cure Schraeder's feet being stuck in the ground while rushers go around him or whomever we had a right guard getting destroyed.  Wes wasn't amazing but better than last year.  Jake looked good much of the season along with Mack (who was down from previous years).  As far as the ranking, it doesn't match the eye test and I think it looks better because we did have really good games.   I would love to see our OL ranking running the ball and on 3rd down passing.

Wes definitely improved as the season went along. Just hope it doesn’t take playing next to Jake and Mack, but if he is the weak link at LG we might be Ok. We need right side overhaul 100% if that is the plan. Wes is back for 1 more year and we should be able to retain then if he builds on comfort level while maximizing his play as a run blocker.

Garland is probably gone for the price. Fusco back as depth to keep fire under Wes. Is Zane a FA? Ty needs to be kept and RS money post-6/1 designated.

Edited by Ergo Proxy
Monolith2001 likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah many teams run forms of zone but include power as well.

I wouldn’t mind Ford in round 2...but we still need OL even if we land starters in FA. Mack’s cap will eventually not be here and that’ll free up OL cash for the cap. It’s not popular going OL early in the draft but could be critical for us by having a 2nd rounder for example on a rookie contract for 4 years.

k-train likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Falcons_Frenzy said:

Wasn't Matt Ryan almost sacked a career number of times this season? Also, the team was ranked towards the bottom in rushing yards. How does this get the O line ranked 12th? 

Second most sacks at end of the season. Most sacks in first 12-13 weeks. Last 3 games stopped the skid.

Falcons_Frenzy likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, kiwifalcon said:

Didn’t know this at all thanks man.

No problem. To be fair he runs both ZBS and power schemes. I’m fairly certain he runs a decent amount more of ZBS though. 

Ergo Proxy and kiwifalcon like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It’s so funny how people use PFF when it fits their agenda and dismiss it when it doesn’t. I’m in the ‘dismiss PFF always’ boat. They suck. And the more nuanced positions such as OL and DL are even more poorly graded than skilled positions with them. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, SeahawkFan80 said:

Yeah, the fact that there's been a massive, growing divide between the schemes most college offenses are running compared to most NFL teams means it's getting harder & harder to find o-lineman that are NFL ready right out of the gates.

I really think TD might've gotten it right by taking the approach he did with Ty Sambrailo. Ty had the potential & tools to be a solid NFL o-lineman, which is why the  Broncos took him in the 2nd round... but he wasn't pro-ready & the Broncos threw in the towel. We got him for a bargain & were able to give him time to learn how to play at this level. To me, it's not a coincidence he suddenly can hold his own. He just needed more time, and I feel like that's gonna be far more common with o-linemen coming from an NCAA that does not prepare them for life beyond college ball.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, octoslash said:

Bullcrap.  The only reason this line wasn't ranked around 25th is because Matt Ryan did such a great job compensating for having only about 1.3 seconds to find a receiver. 

I mean yes.  His season should be put up on a pedestal.  No one with those kind of stats was ever sacked/hurried as much as Ice was. I have always been all in on Ice (I call him a future HOFer) but this season gave me new respect for the man.  

Oh, and anyone saying our OL is ranked 12th hurts our cause to get a better OL. 

octoslash and Ergo Proxy like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Ergo Proxy said:

Or is simply a tool in of itself and shouldn’t be used without understanding it?:munch:

^ This.

Every bit of data should be taken as a puzzle piece, and used to create the bigger picture.

Every bit of data is skewed in a way. For instance, an OL could be ranked as bad, when they are really decent. This could be due in part to a schedule that consitented of teams with great DLs, and vice versa.

I personally don’t believe we should be ranked that high, but there are reasons why we are. Such as the final couple of games in this season. Which I believe, helped us climb a bit. 

There are more nuances to data than the average poster would care to admit  

 

Ergo Proxy likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Ergo Proxy said:

Or is simply a tool in of itself and shouldn’t be used without understanding it?:munch:

Or garbage.

I get what you’re saying, but numbers definitely lie.  Eyes work wonders.

7979 likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If we have the 12th best O-line their must be a ton of horrible lines in the league. 

That or the guy who did this was drunk on new years and forgot the order of the list.

Ergo Proxy likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, k-train said:

Yeah, the fact that there's been a massive, growing divide between the schemes most college offenses are running compared to most NFL teams means it's getting harder & harder to find o-lineman that are NFL ready right out of the gates.

I really think TD might've gotten it right by taking the approach he did with Ty Sambrailo. Ty had the potential & tools to be a solid NFL o-lineman, which is why the  Broncos took him in the 2nd round... but he wasn't pro-ready & the Broncos threw in the towel. We got him for a bargain & were able to give him time to learn how to play at this level. To me, it's not a coincidence he suddenly can hold his own. He just needed more time, and I feel like that's gonna be far more common with o-linemen coming from an NCAA that does not prepare them for life beyond college ball.

This is exactly why it is taking 2 to 3 years for them to "get it". It took our Center 3 years and they moved Britt from left to right to Center. I think it was a learning curve thing although most think he was failing in the left guard and right guard position. I think they were teaching him the plays by putting him in their position so he could understand the blocking assignments. Could have been right to left, I dont recall. But when he was put in that position of Center, he excelled and got his contract extension. No player at this time whether he is drafted in the first round or the UDFA is NFL ready. They all have to have training camp. Some survive, some are cut as a failed liability. Britt was one that made it and our board was chomping at the bit to get rid of him year 1, and year 2. They just did not know. They are chomping now on our first draft pick and I am kinda sitting back and watching. It takes time if they dont see the field to get training on the field. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now