Sidecar Falcon

Offensive Line Rankings

77 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, Sidecar Falcon said:

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-2018-nfl-offensive-line-rankings-all-32-teams-units-after-week-17

Atlanta ranked 12th overall.

If Mike Tomlin is fired, Blank needs to throw the bank at Mike Munchak. 

Munchaks a power guy so you’d be doing alot of retooling upfront if we grabbed him.12th overall how can that be according to TAFT we must be at least in the bottom half of the league not the top.

Osiruz, Vandy and BlazerSlayer like this

1 minute ago, kiwifalcon said:

Munchaks a power guy so you’d be doing alot of retooling upfront if we grabbed him.12th overall how can that be according to TAFT we must be at least in the bottom half of the league not the top.

Not great, but also not near as bad as the TAFTers all claimed it was either. 

The rankings just go to show how terrible the o-lines are in this league. Our o-line was terrible for the majority of the season, yet came out in the top 12. 

It's such a shame regarding Schraeder. The dude was one of the best right tackles in the NFL in 2015 and 2016. Now, he is one of the worst, and the Falcons will need to draft a RT or get one in FA.

The O-line coach is not the issue.

Chris Morgan has actually done a pretty amazing job considering what he's working with these days, and he won O-Line Coach of the Year in 2016 when we actually had a healthy & competent line.

Not having starting calibre guards coupled w/ a massively regressing RT is what has stung us a bit lately.. and he still got that line to perform better than 2/3 of the league despite all of that.

So again... we don't need a new o-line coach, we just need new players in a few spots on the line.

Pretty sure Mack and Matthews only thing keeping the “unit grade” above low 20s; at best.

Eye test and facts say Ryan made them look better and no RB could make them look better that played. At best, Free makes them seem average. At worst, the OL needs an overhaul. Want to repeat this year? OC alone won’t fix matters without improved play at OG and RT.

Good news is Ty played well after Schraeder’s benching. We’ll see if Zane sticks but we basically only have sound starters at LT and C. Most are FA, returning from injury or still lacking proof as being “the guy”.

Again, not gonna let PFF skew the unit performance when they clearly struggled. Otherwise we wouldn’t have been changing the entire right side after a 5 game losing skid.

A few games saved the overall grade; again according to PFF. Players are still clearly the problem and we won’t go far next season without major stabilizing moves.

18 minutes ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

Contracts are with the team and not the coach 

I am aware. Typically a new coach will clean house and put his guys in. Which is what I’m hoping happens. 

15 minutes ago, Atlantafan21 said:

Munchak would definitely be a good OL coach, but not sure why or if he would take the job here. 

Chance at a SB? Money? Not sure what his individual motivations would be. 

octoslash likes this

3 minutes ago, Sidecar Falcon said:

Chance at a SB? Money? Not sure what his individual motivations would be. 

Doesn't fit here, he's a power guy. 

15 minutes ago, Sidecar Falcon said:

I am aware. Typically a new coach will clean house and put his guys in. Which is what I’m hoping happens. 

Not always.

See Keith Armstrong.

21 minutes ago, Ergo Proxy said:

Pretty sure Mack and Matthews only thing keeping the “unit grade” above low 20s; at best.

Eye test and facts say Ryan made them look better and no RB could make them look better that played. At best, Free makes them seem average. At worst, the OL needs an overhaul. Want to repeat this year? OC alone won’t fix matters without improved play at OG and RT.

Good news is Ty played well after Schraeder’s benching. We’ll see if Zane sticks but we basically only have sound starters at LT and C. Most are FA, returning from injury or still lacking proof as being “the guy”.

Again, not gonna let PFF skew the unit performance when they clearly struggled. Otherwise we wouldn’t have been changing the entire right side after a 5 game losing skid.

A few games saved the overall grade; again according to PFF. Players are still clearly the problem and we won’t go far next season without major stabilizing moves.

This is where I am at. Mathews in top 5, Mack between 5-10 compensating for others in bottom half. The reality is Ryan got hit a lot more than other QB. That’s a recipe for disaster, Brees is the least hit and Brady at 3.

ratesforless and Ergo Proxy like this

55 minutes ago, kiwifalcon said:

Surprisingly Munchak is a Zone Blocking Guy. He just uses bigger bodied players for his ZBS. 

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2718815-nfl1000-ranking-the-best-offensive-schemes

Just now, falcons007 said:

This is where I am at. Mathews in top 5, Mack between 5-10 compensating for others in bottom half. The reality is Ryan got hit a lot more than other QB. That’s a recipe for disaster, Brees is the least hit and Brady at 3.

And one big part of that? They can run the football.

But let’s give our OL a pass since Free wasn’t here? And if that’s the case what OL is there to fix? We better get Leveon or something! Lol

falcons007 likes this

Posted (edited)

8 minutes ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

Not always.

See Keith Armstrong.

Which is why I said “typically”, as in, not all the time. 

Edited by Sidecar Falcon

2 minutes ago, Ergo Proxy said:

And one big part of that? They can run the football.

But let’s give our OL a pass since Free wasn’t here? And if that’s the case what OL is there to fix? We better get Leveon or something! Lol

I don’t know, the OL couldn’t hold their guys for  2 seconds. That’s bad run game or not. Of course run game is big part but Brees gets all day when he needs to make a 3rd down conversion. 

ratesforless and Ergo Proxy like this

Posted (edited)

7 minutes ago, falcons007 said:

I don’t know, the OL couldn’t hold their guys for  2 seconds. That’s bad run game or not. Of course run game is big part but Brees gets all day when he needs to make a 3rd down conversion. 

And who was the best QB for much of the season on 3rd and long; under pressure and almost every other difficult situational QB metric? Matt Ryan.

Falcons were close to history this year according to either Mike Conti or Archer on the radio in just how ELITE their 3rd down offense was when 6 or longer I believe.

Imagine a run game. What could’ve been...

Edited by Ergo Proxy