Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Boise Falcon Fan

Dan Quinn Proved Me Wrong

120 posts in this topic

For most of the year, I was not a DQ fan. I believed that he was a really good cheerleader, and sometimes, that works out great. In order for it to work, the cheerleader has to have the right staff around him, and the team must continue to listen to his positive rhetoric.  However, the last 1/4 of the season, DQ proved me wrong. I had started to believe that the team was tiring of his positive spin on everything, and had begun to tune him out. That proved to be untrue.  The team kept fighting, and they NEVER quit!  In some ways, I would have preferred a higher draft pick, but I have to give him credit, because he kept working, and it paid off.  

My hats off to DQ for never quitting and continuing to lay the foundation to a return to success.  He has obviously established a positive culture, and with a few additions in personnel, staff, etc., this team can make another run...

I wish I shared that same belief, but since those final wins came against what are among the worst football teams in professional sports, I can't. Had we played three good teams, the Falcons would have gotten torched.

The one substantive thing he did do at the end of the season to restore some of my faith in him going forward is cleaning house on the coaching staff. Now to keep my faith (not that he cares what I think) he needs to hire some quality people to replace those who were clearly not ready to be NFL coordinators.

2 minutes ago, PokerSteve said:

I wish I shared that same belief, but since those final wins came against what are among the worst football teams in professional sports, I can't. Had we played three good teams, the Falcons would have gotten torched.

The one substantive thing he did do at the end of the season to restore some of my faith in him going forward is cleaning house on the coaching staff. Now to keep my faith (not that he cares what I think) he needs to hire some quality people to replace those who were clearly not ready to be NFL coordinators.

I hear what you are saying, but I would counter with, the NFL is "Any Given Sunday".  Any team can beat any team, any time they play.  Any win is an accomplishment, and if the team was "circling the drain", tuning out the coach, quitting, etc., like I thought they were, would not have strung 3 wins together to finish the season, and that is a big credit to DQ.

Mr.Blank and osiruz like this

5 minutes ago, PokerSteve said:

I'm thinking he had no choice in the matter.

PokerSteve and rounz like this

2 minutes ago, Boise Falcon Fan said:

I hear what you are saying, but I would counter with, the NFL is "Any Given Sunday".  Any team can beat any team, any time they play.  Any win is an accomplishment, and if the team was "circling the drain", tuning out the coach, quitting, etc., like I thought they were, would not have strung 3 wins together to finish the season, and that is a big credit to DQ.

Meh. Not really. The three teams in question played 48 regular-season games collectively and won 15 of them. "Any Given Sunday" for them was much more like "Hardly Any Sunday." And they barely beat the woeful Bucs at that.

2 minutes ago, Boise Falcon Fan said:

2 of those teams are searching for new head coaches and the other one was on their 2nd string QB. Want to stick a feather in Quinns cap I'll go with Super Bowl appearance in year 2 and close game in the divisional round in year 3. This year they lost to 2 teams that fired their coaches the week they played the Falcons. Lost to 2 interim coaches in the same year I doubt thats ever happened before.

17 minutes ago, PokerSteve said:

I won’t discount the wins and momentum with 3 wins. But DQ needs to prove next year with good coaching hires. Good coaches prove by playing In January and February. He hasn’t proved anything in 2018. 

PokerSteve likes this

18 minutes ago, osiruz said:

DQ gets more flack than he should on these forums. I doubt adult men going through a bad season will respond to negative reinforcement.

You’ve been laying down some truth lately.  

osiruz likes this

24 minutes ago, osiruz said:

DQ gets more flack than he should on these forums. I doubt adult men going through a bad season will respond to negative reinforcement.

Quinn!! You sly dog! We had no idea you were posting in TATF!! Pretty insane place, right? Good luck with FA and the draft, bruh!!

rogueleadersf likes this

The problem with this team was the blow hards we had at OC, DC and Special teams.  Sark was the biggest issue with the team.  He was looked at as a child trying to play a mans game.  

There is not one guy who would stick up for Sark at a 100 percent.  All of the players wanted him gone, deep down inside.  The truth will come out

2 minutes ago, PokerSteve said:

Quinn!! You sly dog! We had no idea you were posting in TATF!! Pretty insane place, right? Good luck with FA and the draft, bruh!!

I lost my hair in the '09 season reading all those swift threads :tiphat:.

HASHBROWN3 and PokerSteve like this

23 minutes ago, PokerSteve said:

Carolina finished the season 14th in overall DVOA. TB 24th. Arizona was legit awful but two divisional wins against a slightly above average team and a below average team on the road isnt really anything to sneeze at. That Tampa team wasnt good but they found a way to beat the Saints early in the year and played them pretty close again at the end. 

The Falcons team ended up performing at approximately a league-average level. Certainly not the season we wanted but I think you're overstating the degree to which we were bad this year. 

Just now, osiruz said:

I lost my hair in the '09 season reading all those swift threads :tiphat:.

bwahahahasHAAAAAHHHAAAAAA!

osiruz likes this

4 minutes ago, R_The_Great said:

The problem with this team was the blow hards we had at OC, DC and Special teams.  Sark was the biggest issue with the team.  He was looked at as a child trying to play a mans game.  

There is not one guy who would stick up for Sark at a 100 percent.  All of the players wanted him gone, deep down inside.  The truth will come out

Are we trying to test the board's irony filter? 

12 minutes ago, DoYouSeeWhatHappensLarry said:

Carolina finished the season 14th in overall DVOA. TB 24th. Arizona was legit awful but two divisional wins against a slightly above average team and a below average team on the road isnt really anything to sneeze at. That Tampa team wasnt good but they found a way to beat the Saints early in the year and played them pretty close again at the end. 

The Falcons team ended up performing at approximately a league-average level. Certainly not the season we wanted but I think you're overstating the degree to which we were bad this year. 

I'm not going to argue that a 7-9 record in a parity-driven league is not at least average. That's a fair assessment, except that the Falcons only beat one team that was above .500 if I'm not mistaken, which was the Redskins, not all that great.

On the negative side, I've been watching this team since 1966 and there were stretches in the middle of the season where Quinn's team almost looked worse on defense than the first team we ever sent out on the field.

This year was hampered by injuries but there was way, way too much sloppy play, stupid in-game decisions, stupid penalties, poor pass rush, poor tackling,  too-soft of a defense, the list goes on and on. That's all on Quinn.

20 minutes ago, putnam6 said:

2 of those teams are searching for new head coaches and the other one was on their 2nd string QB. Want to stick a feather in Quinns cap I'll go with Super Bowl appearance in year 2 and close game in the divisional round in year 3. This year they lost to 2 teams that fired their coaches the week they played the Falcons. Lost to 2 interim coaches in the same year I doubt thats ever happened before.

To be fair, Cleveland played much better once they fired their coach. And Aaron Rodgers is still Aaron Rodgers.

Wasn't a fun year, I ended up working most Sunday's during the season and be grateful for that fact.

Really want this year to be a blip, to have them fix the lines and go on a 4-5 year run of excellence.

PokerSteve likes this

9 minutes ago, R_The_Great said:

Twitter-

-2016 Kyle Shanahan led Matt Ryan to 69%/38TD/7INT & Julio to 83/1400/6TD-Got a 6 year HC job (deserved)

-2018 Steve Sarkisian led Matt Ryan to 69%/35TD/7INT & Julio to 113/1600/8TD and got...fired?!?!

Not a Sark fan, but was most certainly not the biggest issue with the team. We scored 35+ twice and still lost. Gave up +30 points 6 times this year.

20 minutes ago, PokerSteve said:

Hahaha. Now that's funny right there. I don't care who ya are.

PokerSteve likes this

3 minutes ago, runshoot said:
Twitter-

-2016 Kyle Shanahan led Matt Ryan to 69%/38TD/7INT & Julio to 83/1400/6TD-Got a 6 year HC job (deserved)

-2018 Steve Sarkisian led Matt Ryan to 69%/35TD/7INT & Julio to 113/1600/8TD and got...fired?!?!

Not a Sark fan, but was most certainly not the biggest issue with the team. We scored 35+ twice and still lost. Gave up +30 points 6 times this year.

Just comparing 2 guys stats does not really tell the whole picture.

Include the run game stats, PPG, YPG, etc and you will see the real picture.

Sarkisian's downfall was his inability to scheme up/call effective plays in the redzone. It does not take a rocket scientist to know that running empty backfield shotgun plays at the 1 and 2 yardline are not the right calls.

I was fine with Sarkisian sticking around or getting fired. He became way better in year 2 than year 1 but he still had a lot of issues. Maybe with another year it would have continued to get better...But notice how his name has been dead silent for team's openings right now.

osiruz and PokerSteve like this

56 minutes ago, PokerSteve said:

oh he does care what you think

PokerSteve likes this

19 minutes ago, falconidae said:

To be fair, Cleveland played much better once they fired their coach. And Aaron Rodgers is still Aaron Rodgers.

Wasn't a fun year, I ended up working most Sunday's during the season and be grateful for that fact.

Really want this year to be a blip, to have them fix the lines and go on a 4-5 year run of excellence.

i think the worst thing we did this entire year was underrate Cleveland.

rugger8, Vandy, Mr.Blank and 1 other like this