Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Falconsin2012

Is Kubiak The Best Choice

44 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Just playing a little devils advocate here.  For the record, Kubiak is my preference because of scheme, experience and ability to run his side of the ball without oversight.  Like Shanny, he also has an ego.  His success in the 90’s is without question.  But his stints as playcaller in Houston,  Baltimore & Denver are very hot & cold.  And for those claiming he wasn’t the OC, you are right.  But he called every offensive play so these years should be considered when evaluating him as a potential Offensive Coordinator.

Houston 

2006: 28th ypg & 28th ppg

2007:  14th ypg & 12th ppg

2008:  3rd ypg & 17th ppg

2009:  4th ypg & 10th ppg (Shanahan called plays this season which caused their rift).

2010: 3rd ypg & 9th ppg

2011:  13th ypg & 10th ppg

2012:  7th ypg & 8th ppg

2013:  11th ypg & 31st ppg

Baltimore:

2014:  12th ypg & 8th ppg

Denver:

2015:  16th ypg & 19th ppg

2016:  27th ypg & 22nd ppg

Edited by Falconsin2012
Sidecar Falcon likes this

Posted (edited)

Just so we all agree he calls the plays:

Broncos coach Gary Kubiak explains play-calling procedure on game days

•  
  •  
  • Categories:

INDIANAPOLIS — Mike McCarthy and Jason Garrett might have been a coincidence. 

But Gary Kubiak will not make it a trend. 

Garrett, the Dallas Cowboys’ head coach, surrendered his play-calling responsibilities two years ago. McCarthy, the Green Bay head coach, announced last week he no longer will call plays for quarterback Aaron Rodgers, even though his Packers led the league with 30.4 points per game last season. placeholder.png

You give it up when you’re not good, not when you’re leading the league in scoring,” Kubiak said, smiling. 

Kubiak has been a play caller much longer than he’s been a head coach. He’ll be both for the Broncos in 2015. His play-calling sheets will be compiled in conjunction with offensive coordinator Rick Dennison and passing-game coordinator Greg Knapp. 

“I am very comfortable with Rick being able to call a game and he and Knapper working together,” Kubiak said Wednesday after his NFL scouting combine news conference. “But at the same time, it is something I love to do. It’s something that’s my passion in football on game day. So I am never going to get away from that. I could sit here and tell you I might, but I am probably never going to get away from it.”

Edited by Falconsin2012

Posted (edited)

I am not sure.  Koetter can bring Steele and Warhop from Tampa Bay.  I like George Warhop as an Offensive Line Coach immensely!

George Warhop enters his fifth season with the Buccaneers in 2018, after spending the first two seasons as the offensive line coach before adding the title of run game coordinator in 2016.

While this past season saw tackle Donovan Smith miss the first snaps of his career, Smith still managed to start all 16 games for the third consecutive season, joining Paul Gruber as the only players in franchise history to start all 48 games in their first three seasons. Warhop also assisted Ali Marpet as Marpet transitioned from guard to center and new starter J.R. Sweezy slotted in at right guard. The offensive line helped to block for an offense that averaged 363.5 yards per game, the ninth-most in the NFL, and 352 total first downs, the second-most in the league.   

The 2016 season saw second-year players guard Ali Marpet and tackle Donovan Smith play every single snap for the Buccaneers, while third-year guard Kevin Pamphile started all 14 games he played in, after having four total starts in his first two seasons. Marpet, Pamphile and Smith, along with center Joe Hawley and tackle Demar Dotson, were the main starters for a Buccaneers offense that converted a franchise-record 43.9 percent of third down attempts, the sixth-highest mark in the NFL. Warhop also oversaw the Buccaneers running game, which featured running back Jacquizz Rodgers recording his first two career 100-yard rushing games and a career-best 560 rushing yards on the season.

In 2015, Warhop coached an offensive line that featured two rookie starters and only one holdover from the previous year – left guard Logan Mankins, who earned a Pro Bowl berth following the 2015 season. These changes helped the Buccaneers put together one of the top offensive lines in the NFL, with the team blocking for the NFL’s second-leading rushing (running back Doug Martin – 1,402 yards) and 2,162 team rushing yards – the fifth-most rushing yards in the NFL and the second-most in a season in team history. Tampa Bay’s offensive line also allowed only 27 sacks, tied for the fourth-fewest in the league.

Warhop joined the Buccaneers after five seasons with Cleveland (2009-13) as the offensive line coach. While with the Browns, Warhop coached tackle Joe Thomas to Pro Bowl and All-Pro honors each season. Warhop also helped center Alex Mack to an all-rookie selection in 2009, while also earning Pro Bowl berths in 2010 and 2013, with a second-team All-Pro selection in 2013.

Prior to joining Cleveland, Warhop spent four seasons with San Francisco (2005-08), helping running back Frank Gore record three consecutive 1,000-yard seasons, including a franchise-record 1,695 in 2006. Warhop joined the 49ers after two seasons with Dallas (2003-04), where he helped tackle Flozell Adams 

Edited by lostnmexico
Falconsin2012 likes this

Oh yea I forgot David Carr, Sage Rosenfels, Rex Grossman, Jake Delhomme, Matt Lineart, and Case Kenum.

That is a lot of different QBs to have to work with throughout your career. Over that time the Falcons have had just one.

If we're gonna stay on the sideways ZBS give me Kubiak. Hopefully not.

If not give me Mularkey to finish what he started. I'd take him over Kutty or Bevell.

I really, really hope he has a good interview here. Exactly what we need right now.

4 minutes ago, Jesus said:

TJ Yates, Shaub, Flacco, barely human Peyton Manning, Brook Osweiller, Trevor Siemian, and Paxton Lynch.

A murderers row of should be back up QBs.

Schaub, Flacco & Manning are all Super Bowl caliber quarterbacks.  And Kubiak is the one who fell in love with Osweiller 

Given that Quinn is going to be pulling double duty next season, he needs an experienced coach with a consistent track record of good play calling. Kubiak is the type of coach that can completely take control of the offense and allow Quinn not to worry about it. This is something Koetter, Mularkey, Gase, or Sarkisian couldn’t do. 

Falcons Fan MVP likes this

Just now, Falconsin2012 said:

Schaub, Flacco & Manning are all Super Bowl caliber quarterbacks.  And Kubiak is the one who fell in love with Osweiller 

Well Flacco and Manning have started and won super bowls yes, but at that point in his career, Manning was a walking Allstate jingle that somehow hung through that season and Flacco is above average at best. Shaub...come on now.

1 minute ago, Sidecar Falcon said:

Given that Quinn is going to be pulling double duty next season, he needs an experienced coach with a consistent track record of good play calling. Kubiak is the type of coach that can completely take control of the offense and allow Quinn not to worry about it. This is something Koetter, Mularkey, Gase, or Sarkisian couldn’t do. 

That's a good point. He can head coach the offense while Quinn head coaches the defense. Koetter did an okay job in Tampa doing that, but Mularkey was not that good as an HC.

Just now, Jesus said:

That's a good point. He can head coach the offense while Quinn head coaches the defense. Koetter did an okay job in Tampa doing that, but Mularkey was not that good as an HC.

Koetter’s playcalling was terrible when he was here. We destroyed the bottom feeding defenses but could never make a dent in the upper tier ones. Also, his overuse of bubble screens was an absolute joke. Predictable and stale playcalling. 

KRUNKuno and papachaz like this

9 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

If we're gonna stay on the sideways ZBS give me Kubiak. Hopefully not.

If not give me Mularkey to finish what he started. I'd take him over Kutty or Bevell.

I really, really hope he has a good interview here. Exactly what we need right now.

Mularkey does a great job and handicapping offences. I don't want him anywhere near the Falcons.

capitan likes this

Just now, Sidecar Falcon said:

Koetter’s playcalling was terrible when he was here. We destroyed the bottom feeding defenses but could never make a dent in the upper tier ones. Also, his overuse of bubble screens was an absolute joke. Predictable and stale playcalling. 

The worst was when he would call slow developing deep plays that would leave Matt standing behind a tattered line getting killed. 

7 minutes ago, Jesus said:

Well Flacco and Manning have started and won super bowls yes, but at that point in his career, Manning was a walking Allstate jingle that somehow hung through that season and Flacco is above average at best. Shaub...come on now.

Like I said, just playing Devils Advocate.  And 4 of last 5 years he had a negative Offensive DVOA.

1 minute ago, Sidecar Falcon said:

Koetter had a TOP FIVE Offense in Tampa and got better with age.  Koetter also would bring a line Coach who produces ProBowl Offensive Line Play.  For me.....it's Koetter.  He is the only choice and if we arelucky enough to pull Monken too.....offensive problems will be instantly reconciled.

Posted (edited)

21 minutes ago, Jesus said:

TJ Yates, Shaub, Flacco, barely human Peyton Manning, Brook Osweiller, Trevor Siemian, and Paxton Lynch.

A murderers row of should be back up QBs.

Schaub was the starting QB for Kubiak from 2007-2013.  Then he had Flacco & Manning...and his boy Osweiller

Edited by Falconsin2012

Like I said, just playing Devils Advocate.  And 4 of last 5 years he had a negative Offensive DVOA.

There was an article I don't remember if it was 538 or Barnwell that posed the question, "Did the Packers waste Aaron Rodgers Prime Years?" It made the case that McCarthy just wasn't good enough to make the best team for Rodgers to win with and was there just too darn long. 

I don't want an OC that will take Matt backwards or ruin the final great years we have with him. I would hate to look back after he retires and wonder, how the **** did this team not win super bowls with him?

papachaz and Falconsin2012 like this

2 minutes ago, Falconsin2012 said:

Schaub was the starting QB for Kubiak from 2007-2013

Yea but he was hurt a lot. Only one full season.

Rosenfels, Yates and Kennum all started games in that span. 

Falconsin2012 likes this

16 minutes ago, Jesus said:

Manning averaged 30 ppg the year before Kubiak got there.  Their style did not mesh

Just now, lostnmexico said:

Koetter had a TOP FIVE Offense in Tampa and got better with age.  Koetter also would bring a line Coach who produces ProBowl Offensive Line Play.  For me.....it's Koetter.  He is the only choice and if we arelucky enough to pull Monken too.....offensive problems will be instantly reconciled.

He had a top five offense, but #12 in scoring. The Bucs played from behind a good portion of the season and had no run game. They were forced to pass quite often. Koetter is an overrated OC that people look back on with rose colored glasses. Those of us who remember his crappy playcalling were happy when he was fired. I’ve seen how the Bucs offense was ran. Saw a lot of bubble screens and similar issues that plagued us when he was here. Hard pass. 

papachaz likes this

Manning averaged 30 ppg the year before Kubiak got there.  Their style did not mesh

That was pure Gase too.  If Manning's arm had lasted one more year he might have done well, but he wasn't going to learn a new WCO at 39 or 40. Their defense was outta sight though.

Falconsin2012 likes this

1 minute ago, Falconsin2012 said:

Manning hit a wall. His age caught up with him. Happens to the best of players. 

6 minutes ago, Jesus said:

There was an article I don't remember if it was 538 or Barnwell that posed the question, "Did the Packers waste Aaron Rodgers Prime Years?" It made the case that McCarthy just wasn't good enough to make the best team for Rodgers to win with and was there just too darn long. 

I don't want an OC that will take Matt backwards or ruin the final great years we have with him. I would hate to look back after he retires and wonder, how the **** did this team not win super bowls with him?

You and me both, which is why I want Kubiak.  He should do well with our toys.  

But he has been average his last 6 years as a playcaller