Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
lostnmexico

Matt Ryan on Dirk Koetter

36 posts in this topic

Atlanta Falcons quarterback Matt Ryan threw for almost 14,000 yards and 86 touchdowns with Dirk Koetter as his offensive coordinator from 2012-2014, surpassing 4,500 passing yards in three consecutive seasons under Koetter.

As his prepares for Sunday's season opener against Tampa Bay, Ryan will scheme against Koetter -- instead of alongside him -- as Koetter is now the head coach of the Buccaneers. The clash doesn't change Ryan's feelings about how Koetter helped him mature as a quarterback.

``You know, Dirk taught me a lot about being confident in what we do,'' Ryan said. ``I think he believed in -- and rightfully so because, at the time, we had a lot of really good players -- he believed if I was comfortable with it, go. It made me take ownership of what I liked, what I didn't like. He pushed me to be better in that department.''

Ryan posted career and franchise highs in passing yards (4,719) and touchdowns (32) under Koetter in 2012, the year the Falcons made it to the NFC Championship Game. Of course, Ryan had Julio Jones, Tony Gonzalez, and Roddy White at his disposal, plus capable running backs in Michael Turner and Jacquizz Rodgers. But he still benefited from Koetter's pass-heavy approach.

``Dirk taught me a lot about the pass game, how to read drop-back passing defensive indicators,'' Ryan said. ``And he always had a really good way of making you feel really good about whatever game plan it was. Some plans were better than others, there's no question. But whatever plan we had, he always believed in it. And I thought he did a great job with that.

``I think that same thing showed with Jameis [Winston] last year. Dirk did a great job with him.''

Ryan's top two single-game efforts in terms of passer rating were 155.9 and 148.4 under Koetter -- ironically both wins over Tampa Bay at home. We'll see if Ryan can enjoy the same success against Koetter and the Buccaneers at the Georgia Dome come Sunday.

www.espn.com/blog/atlanta-falcons/post/_/id/22288/matt-ryan-airs-out-thoughts-on-ex-coordinator-dirk-koetter

Posted (edited)

I think we all know who Matt wants to be his coordinator: Ryan's top two single-game efforts in terms of passer rating were 155.9 and 148.4 under Koetter

I hope Koetter comes back and I believe he will.  Never wanted to see him go and look forward for the second time around.....

Edited by lostnmexico

Just now, Falconsin2012 said:

Koetter will sleep better knowing it’s Matt Ryan, not Winston, making the decisions under center.

Or FitzMagic

Falconsin2012 likes this

Great find! I would love Koetter back here. There are just too many benefits and pros to Koetter returning here as OC to pass him up. We were a few bone-headed mistakes/decisions from the SB his first season here as OC. 

Dirk Koetter Must Be the Choice for ONE REASON:  George Warhop...Tampa's Offensive Line Coach after a stint in Cleveland where guess what?

Warhop joined the Buccaneers after five seasons with Cleveland (2009-13) as the offensive line coach. While with the Browns, Warhop coached tackle Joe Thomas to Pro Bowl and All-Pro honors each season. Warhop also helped center Alex Mack to an all-rookie selection in 2009, while also earning Pro Bowl berths in 2010 and 2013, with a second-team All-Pro selection in 2013.

4 minutes ago, Falcanuck said:

I want whatever OC Ryan wants at this point in his career. Whoever he feels he clicks with most and can learn their playbook/verbiage fastest. Ryan has earned the right to heavily weigh in on this decision.

Ditto.  Probably the last realistic chance MR has at getting a ring.  

24 minutes ago, falcons007 said:

He dialed a great play, HD could have walked in to end zone. Too bad he slipped

Ugh. Yeah that one.

There was also the 3 and out after recovering the fumble on the 1. Just a couple of first downs and maybe a better punt or a field goal.

Sigh...the Falcons and all the could have beens.

2 hours ago, Falconsin2012 said:

Koetter will sleep better knowing it’s Matt Ryan, not Winston, making the calls under center.  

I don't know who'll be happier if Koetter comes back, Dirk or Mattie Ice. Might be a tie. They'll both love it.

Atl Falcon and 11=team like this

I really want to see what dirk can do with an oline. Definitely have some talent out there. The one year we had a solid line we nearly went to the Sb. The year we had an average line, with injuries, we were a fairly decent offense. The year when we had no OL we sucked.

give him an oline and capable RBs and I think we’ll be on track for a solid year. One thing that I liked that Koetter did better than any other Matt Ryan era OC is the no huddle.

IamFRESCO1 and PokerSteve like this

2 minutes ago, bossFALCON™ said:

I really want to see what dirk can do with an oline. Definitely have some talent out there. The one year we had a solid line we nearly went to the Sb. The year we had an average line, with injuries, we were a fairly decent offense. The year when we had no OL we sucked.

give him an oline and capable RBs and I think we’ll be on track for a solid year. One thing that I liked that Koetter did better than any other Matt Ryan era OC is the no huddle.

Amen. We just about abandoned that and Matt is great with it. I especially like the hurry-up no huddle. Just keep lining up, snapping the ball and grind the defense to pulp.

Just now, PokerSteve said:

Amen. We just about abandoned that and Matt is great with it. I especially like the hurry-up no huddle. Just keep lining up, snapping the ball and grind the defense to pulp.

It’s like we haven’t even utilized one of Matt’s best skills. Honestly I think that has had something to do with the fact that we really don’t see many fourth qtr comebacks from us anymore. The first 7 years we ran no huddle and were known as the comeback kids. We rarely used that for the next 4 years and probably rarely practiced no huddle situations...and we became very bad in them.

5 hours ago, bossFALCON™ said:

It’s like we haven’t even utilized one of Matt’s best skills. Honestly I think that has had something to do with the fact that we really don’t see many fourth qtr comebacks from us anymore. The first 7 years we ran no huddle and were known as the comeback kids. We rarely used that for the next 4 years and probably rarely practiced no huddle situations...and we became very bad in them.

I know. We rarely come from behind to win. Week 17 was a rare exception.

17 hours ago, Xfactor said:

Quinn needs someone who can take the reigns and I actually think Koetter would be better this time around.

Koetter would be a welcome sight in Atlanta for sure......but it needs to happen quick so he can bring his staff with him......If Monken gets a head job, he might try to pull from the same group of assistants.

On 1/2/2019 at 11:36 PM, bossFALCON™ said:

I keep seeing this on TATF. Kutty abandoned the no huddle and TATF lost its collective mind. So did Shanny and Sark. You guys are thinking about Mularkey, not Kutty, when it comes to the no huddle.

Flying Falcon likes this