Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
since68andcounting

About Brent Grimes

54 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, since68andcounting said:

No this is not Miko. I don't even know the guy personally. I was on the Grimes bandwagon in pre-season long before he was ever a starter. He sometimes struggled with big physical guys, but was the best CB I've ever seen at actually playing the BALL in the air rather than getting tangled up in a bunch of hand fighting and drawing a flag. If he was 6 foot he'd be going to Canton.

It took us too long to recognize his talent, because he wasn't a Dimi high draft pick guy. He had to beat out 3 or 4 other CBs that were brought in or drafted to play the position ahead of him before he ever got a legit chance to start. It was a war of attrition. Everyone else stunk and he was simply BETTER than all of them. But he never got much respect because of his lack of height and because he was a UDFA. Granted, Miko didn't help matters.

Once his talent was obvious, we still refused to pay him because we thought he was washed up due to injuries. Despite the fact that it was clear this guy was an athletic freak. There seemed to be a "we tagged you, and then you screwed us getting hurt" mentality on this board. As if he could help getting injured! Whereas other players are given the benefit of the doubt and their starting position given back as soon as they return. Brent was not re-signed and the Dolphins got him for a bargain $5M+. Cornerbacks were going for a LOT back then, with salaries about equal to the QBs. That was the market at the time.

He never got the respect he deserved from this franchise. And in typical Falcons fashion as to what happens when you play favorites with personnel rather than sign the best (especially homegrown) talent. Your team suffers.

We are now in need of TWO cornerbacks. It's not just hindsight. It's the future. It's the accumulated weight of bad personnel decisions. You might call it TROFFED.

BTW... no one has tried to answer the quiz. Do you all want zeroes??? :D

Bam.

Bro you know me. I've seen every Falcon corner since they moved here in 1966. Grimes is still a Top 5 Falcon corner in my book. Maybe even higher. Miko was a social media distraction but Brent Grimes was an as beater. Trust me. We should have signed him to a long term deal after 2010. We didn't and paid the price with a 2012 tag. Yeah there were injury concerns but when Miko posted up the YouTubes of him jumping five feet in the air after his injury in 2013 that should have been enough. Dimi went with Tru and Alf instead who everyone wants to cut right about now. That was the same year he purged Abe, Clabo, Turner and RobbinUs. Big fail year by Dimi. Overerestimated the readiness of several players. Eventually caught a demotion. Lets examine some results since Grimes left. Which one of our corners are making these plays since he left six years ago:

• Tru & Alf Combined - 176 games, 1 Pro Bowl, 19 INTs, 4 FFs, 4 TDs
  • Brent Omar Grimes - 91 games, 3 Pro Bowls, 20 INTs, 3 FFs, 3 TDs

⚡Slumerican⚡ likes this

Grimes was my favorite Falcon when he was here.  Hated to see him go.  Glad he continued to have success, although unfortunate he ended up with the Sucs.

4 hours ago, HASHBROWN3 said:

I loved that dude. He just kept going up!:huh:

There ain’t 2 or 3 guys in the NFL who are capable of that kind of athletic feat. Wowza! 

You know that receiver was in disbelief lol.

So was Breesus

HASHBROWN3 likes this

5 hours ago, Falconsin2012 said:

How many fist fights did his wife cause on Sundays in the players wife section?

lol

2 hours ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

Bam.

Bro you know me. I've seen every Falcon corner since they moved here in 1966. Grimes is still a Top 5 Falcon corner in my book. Maybe even higher. Miko was a social media distraction but Brent Grimes was an as beater. Trust me. We should have signed him to a long term deal after 2010. We didn't and paid the price for a tag. Yeah there were injury concerns but when Miko posted up the YouTubes of him jumping five feet in the air after his injury that should have been enough. Dimi went with Tru and Alf instead who everyone wants to cut right about now. That was the same year he purged Abe, Clabo, Turner and RobbinUs. Big mistake year by Dimi. Eventually he caught a demotion. Lets examine some results since:

yep he was a beast 

FalconFanSince1970 likes this

And posted today is an article of Grimes and Miko crying about how disrespected he has been in Tampa. He felt the team asked too much of someone at his pay scale ($7 million this season) when they told him to cover Antonio Brown and Julio. He likes zone, not man coverage. Also said he doesnt like to tackle. Guess he would have fit right in here. 

Embrace the suck and Plunket76 like this

"And posted today is an article of Grimes and Miko crying about how disrespected he has been in Tampa."

Talk about timely! Read the article.....the Board would have gone ape over that Grimes interview if he was a Falcon.

Plunket76 likes this

1 hour ago, jstammer said:

And posted today is an article of Grimes and Miko crying about how disrespected he has been in Tampa. He felt the team asked too much of someone at his pay scale ($7 million this season) when they told him to cover Antonio Brown and Julio. He likes zone, not man coverage. Also said he doesnt like to tackle. Guess he would have fit right in here. 

52 minutes ago, vitaman said:

"And posted today is an article of Grimes and Miko crying about how disrespected he has been in Tampa."

Talk about timely! Read the article.....the Board would have gone ape over that Grimes interview if he was a Falcon.

Plunket76 likes this

I loved Grimes but it’s tough making the decision to pay an athlete after an Achilles injury. If we knew then what we knew now we would’ve paid him a **** ton of money and y’all would be complaining ab how much we pay Brent Grimes. There’s no winning w most of the fans on this board

putnam6 likes this

On 1/2/2019 at 5:20 PM, FalconFanSince1970 said:

Bam.

Bro you know me. I've seen every Falcon corner since they moved here in 1966. Grimes is still a Top 5 Falcon corner in my book. Maybe even higher. Miko was a social media distraction but Brent Grimes was an as beater. Trust me. We should have signed him to a long term deal after 2010. We didn't and paid the price with a 2012 tag. Yeah there were injury concerns but when Miko posted up the YouTubes of him jumping five feet in the air after his injury in 2013 that should have been enough. Dimi went with Tru and Alf instead who everyone wants to cut right about now. That was the same year he purged Abe, Clabo, Turner and RobbinUs. Big fail year by Dimi. Overerestimated the readiness of several players. Eventually caught a demotion. Lets examine some results since Grimes left. Which one of our corners are making these plays since he left six years ago:

Were you born and raised in ATL?

I had two conversations with Brent back in the day, by which I mean, pre-Miko.  He was humble, soft-spoken, and totally team oriented.  The remarks he made recently about a sour experience in Tampa would never have been made by the pre-Miko Brent Grimes.

EJmusic likes this

I was probably the biggest Grimes fan ever. I still have his Jersey. Anyone with a brain knew it was a mistake letting him walk. Although i think Miko's mouth was a lot of the reason, not the injury. 

I watched the dude when he played in NFL Europe. I was all for him when he first started trying to win a starting spot with the Falcons. He was obiviously special and better than everyone on our team. I started then questioning our coaches intelligence.

With all that said, instead of cutting him, we should have put him in witness protection so he could get away from his nut job wife. Things she's done since, makes me glad hes gone. Even when they were still here, she ruined my fandom for him. 

1 hour ago, JOEinPHX said:

I had two conversations with Brent back in the day, by which I mean, pre-Miko.  He was humble, soft-spoken, and totally team oriented.  The remarks he made recently about a sour experience in Tampa would never have been made by the pre-Miko Brent Grimes.

She has really changed him over the years and not for the better.

1 hour ago, Halcon-1 said:

Were you born and raised in ATL?

Yes sir. Born two miles from the Benz at McClendon Hospital off MLK. ATL born, ATL bred, will probably be ATL dead. I know people, places and things about Atlanta Georgia that many will never ever know.

1 hour ago, Faithful Falcon said:

But she was right. 

Even a broken clock is right twice a day.

Unfortunately she seems to lower those who associate themselves with her.

The only way I knew anything about this woman is via this forum.  I don’t know what she may or may not have been right about but I think the less I know of her the better off I am.  I saw enough in a short period of time to realize her attitude is something I prefer to stay away from lol.

Poor Brent.  

19 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

Grimes and Miko>>>>>Tru and Alf.

True but the money initially saved on the rookie contracts of  both of them allowed the Falcons to acquire other pieces. Doubt the Falcons smell the Super Bowl with a huge Grimes extension. And I love the guy when he was here. 

5 hours ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

Yes sir. Born two miles from the Benz at McClendon Hospital off MLK. ATL born, ATL bred, will probably be ATL dead. I know people, places and things about Atlanta Georgia that many will never ever know.

That's what I thought and that last sentence is exactly the reason why I asked you. Do you mind if I PM you?

On 1/2/2019 at 2:37 PM, FalconFanSince1970 said:

I didn't. That was one of Dimi's biggest mistakes. He waited too long to try to get a new deal done, had to franchise him, then let him walk to a better career than both of his replacements combined. Miko was a PR nightmare but Grimes never was. He just took care of his business. Definitely in my top five all time favorite Falcon corner group.

BG never suceeded anywhere he went, in fact on Yahoo sports dude was complaining Tampa asked him to cover The Saints #1 Wr, Glad we got rid of that big giant brain tumor and his loud mouth wife.