Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
since68andcounting

About Brent Grimes

54 posts in this topic

A QUIZ (10 points each):  

What round was he drafted in?

How much money was it we thought this guy was not worth when we let him go?

How many years ago was that?

How many draft picks and what rounds did we give up to get his replacement(s)?

How many INTs has Grimes made since we let him go?

How many INTs (combined) have his replacements made?

How many Pro Bowls has Grimes made since we let him go?

How many Pro Bowls (combined) have his replacements made?

How many years older is he than his replacements?

How is it that as of last Sunday he still appears to be outplaying both of his replacements?

BONUS QUESTION (5 points):
HOW THE **** DO WE MAKE SUCH STUPID PERSONNEL DECISIONS???

Answers will be given 1/3/2019.

Posted (edited)

To be fair since he's been in tampa haven't heard any of those things but, I dont go looking for that either.

The real topic is valid and I personally did want to see him go and Brent is still the example I use when talking to my youth football players.

Edited by me4falcons

47 minutes ago, WhenFalconsWin said:

Agreed, but we'll always have this memory of Grimes leaping interception of Breesus on MNF

I loved that dude. He just kept going up!:huh:

There ain’t 2 or 3 guys in the NFL who are capable of that kind of athletic feat. Wowza! 

You know that receiver was in disbelief lol.

WhenFalconsWin likes this

9 minutes ago, me4falcons said:

To be fair since he's been tampa haven heard any of those things but, I dont go looking for that either.

The real topic is valid and I personally did want to see him go and Brent is still the example I use when talking to my youth football players.

I didn't. That was one of Dimi's biggest mistakes. He waited too long to try to get a new deal done, had to franchise him, then let him walk to a better career than both of his replacements combined. Miko was a PR nightmare but Grimes never was. He just took care of his business. Definitely in my top five all time favorite Falcon corner group.

rounz, vitaman, Tandy and 2 others like this

27 minutes ago, me4falcons said:

To be fair since he's been tampa haven heard any of those things but, I dont go looking for that either.

We gave him $10.28M via the tag back in 2012 when that was a rather huge one-year salary.

For perspective...
Rodgers was getting $8.5M
Brees was getting $10.4M
Roethlisberger was getting $8.9M
Brady was getting $8M

So we were giving Grimes more than 4 HOF QBs got that year, and Grimes ended up getting hurt.

Keep in mind that we were arguably one play away from going to the SB that year... without him.

Also keep in mind that he was an undersized CB with fantastic athletic ability, but was coming off an injury (torn Achilles) from which many players never fully return to form. Also consider he had just turned 30 years old at that point, when so many players who rely on athletic ability fall off drastically, and it makes it even more understandable why that would've been a major red flag at the time.

Grimes was a freak of nature to be able to bounce back like he did. Nine out of ten CBs at his age with that injury & that much reliance on athletic ability to be successful would not have been able to return to form like that, and there was honestly no sensible reason for the FO to expect him to either.

We had also changed DCs that season, so there's a real possibility that on top of everything else, Mike Nolan didn't feel like Grimes was a good fit for his scheme.

So, it's easy to look back on it now with absolutely no regard for the bigger picture, what was happening at the time the decision to move on way made, etc. and question the decision of the front office. The reality is that for what they knew then & there, moving on from Grimes was actually the smart thing to do.

1 minute ago, k-train said:

We gave him $10.28M via the tag back in 2012 when that was a rather huge one-year salary.

For perspective...
Rodgers was getting $8.5M
Brees was getting $10.4M
Roethlisberger was getting $8.9M
Brady was getting $8M

So we were giving Grimes more than 4 HOF QBs got that year, and Grimes ended up getting hurt.

Keep in mind that we were arguably one play away from going to the SB that year... without him.

Also keep in mind that he was an undersized CD with fantastic athletic ability, but was coming off an injury (torn Achilles) from which many players never fully return to form. Also consider he had just turned 30 years old at that point, when so many players who rely on athletic ability fall off drastically, and it makes it even more understandable why that would've been a major red flag at the time.

Grimes was a freak of nature to be able to bounce back like he did. Nine out of ten CBs at his age with that injury & that much reliance on athletic ability to be successful would not have been able to return to form like that.

We had also changed DCs that season, so there's a real possibility that on top of everything else, Mike Nolan didn't feel like Grimes was a good fit for his scheme.

So, it's easy to look back on it now with absolutely no regard for the bigger picture, what was happening at the time the decision to move on way made, etc. and question the decision of the front office. The reality is that for what they knew then & there, moving on from Grimes was actually the smart thing to do.

This is exactly how I remember it as well, being 30 and that injury left huge questions. You know that if we signed him to a fat contract and he was terrible, we'd have this same thread but flipped about why we kept an aging, injured, corner. Lol 

rugger8 and k-train like this

4 minutes ago, Mr. Captain Falcon said:

This is exactly how I remember it as well, being 30 and that injury left huge questions. You know that if we signed him to a fat contract and he was terrible, we'd have this same thread but flipped about why we kept an aging, injured, corner. Lol 

Exactly.

TD signs Sam Baker to an extension after being hurt & he's an idiot.

TD doesn't sign a 30 year old athletic CB coming off a major injury & he's an idiot.

The dude just can't win with some folks.

rugger8 and ATLskinjob like this

Posted (edited)

Prior to his 10mil tag he was grossly under paid.

Also even with all that being said, it still was a miss calculation on our part but its all in the pass now.

Edited by me4falcons

7 minutes ago, k-train said:

Thank you!

I remember a lot of folks on here were pizzed he didn’t play in the Giants playoff debacle. I remember people thinking he was good to go but he decided he wasn’t going to play.

papachaz likes this

No this is not Miko. I don't even know the guy personally. I was on the Grimes bandwagon in pre-season long before he was ever a starter. He sometimes struggled with big physical guys, but was the best CB I've ever seen at actually playing the BALL in the air rather than getting tangled up in a bunch of hand fighting and drawing a flag. If he was 6 foot he'd be going to Canton.

It took us too long to recognize his talent, because he wasn't a Dimi high draft pick guy. He had to beat out 3 or 4 other CBs that were brought in or drafted to play the position ahead of him before he ever got a legit chance to start. It was a war of attrition. Everyone else stunk and he was simply BETTER than all of them. But he never got much respect because of his lack of height and because he was a UDFA. Granted, Miko didn't help matters.

Once his talent was obvious, we still refused to pay him because we thought he was washed up due to injuries. Despite the fact that it was clear this guy was an athletic freak. There seemed to be a "we tagged you, and then you screwed us getting hurt" mentality on this board. As if he could help getting injured! Whereas other players are given the benefit of the doubt and their starting position given back as soon as they return. Brent was not re-signed and the Dolphins got him for a bargain $5M+. Cornerbacks were going for a LOT back then, with salaries about equal to the QBs. That was the market at the time.

He never got the respect he deserved from this franchise. And in typical Falcons fashion as to what happens when you play favorites with personnel rather than sign the best (especially homegrown) talent. Your team suffers.

We are now in need of TWO cornerbacks. It's not just hindsight. It's the future. It's the accumulated weight of bad personnel decisions. You might call it TROFFED.

BTW... no one has tried to answer the quiz. Do you all want zeroes??? :D

Hurry_Up_And_Buy likes this

47 minutes ago, k-train said:

Exactly.

TD signs Sam Baker to an extension after being hurt & he's an idiot.

TD doesn't sign a 30 year old athletic CB coming off a major injury & he's an idiot.

The dude just can't win with some folks.

People love love love hindsight. Somebody called TD a fool for drafting Trufant instead of Slay. WTF you want him to draft BPA and then when he drafts BPA CB, you say he should have taken the "not-BPA". 

I don't even know how Dimitrioff is still here. Sooo many poor decisions. Matt Ryan & Julio are basically his claim to fame. Otherwise, TROFFED happened A LOT around here before 2015.