Cole World

Dirk Koetter interview is scheduled for Saturday

77 posts in this topic

One thing that was truly great while Dirk was here was that he consistently let Matt Ryan audible and call plays at the line like he was Peyton Manning. When Dirk was here we ran that no huddle offense and it was a thing of beauty to watch. 

If he’s our new guy I hope to see that come back and be used a lot more than we have since he left. 

Just now, shock said:

One thing that was truly great while Dirk was here was that he consistently let Matt Ryan audible and call plays at the line like he was Peyton Manning. When Dirk was here we ran that no huddle offense and it was a thing of beauty to watch. 

If he’s our new guy I hope to see that come back and be used a lot more than we have since he left. 

Yep. He wasn't afraid to let Ryan control the tempo. 

Schwarzwald likes this

Also we could assume Dirk would be here for a solid 3 or 4 seasons right? Like he’s not a guy who will ditch us after a successful season or two? If he solidified the OC spot for us for the remainder of Ryan’s career that would be absolutely huge. 

lymond, Emmitt, rugger8 and 1 other like this

9 minutes ago, Geneaut said:

While he isn't my dream choice I think Captain Dirk is not a bad choice. Ryan seems to like him and that should mean something. 

I think it is the choice with the fastest learning curve. Not only has he already worked with Ryan but he has had to game-plan against us the last three seasons. There is probably no O.C. available that is as familiar with us as Dirk. 

Geneaut, Lowndesfalc, shock and 3 others like this

Just now, Dr Long Shot said:

I think it is the choice with the fastest learning curve. Not only has he already worked with Ryan but he has had to game-plan against us the last three seasons. There is probably no O.C. available that is as familiar with us as Dirk. 

Added bonus he's intimately familiar with NO and Carolina as well. 

3 minutes ago, shock said:

Also we could assume Dirk would be here for a solid 3 or 4 seasons right? Like he’s not a guy who will ditch us after a successful season or two? If he solidified the OC spot for us for the remainder of Ryan’s career that would be absolutely huge. 

I think if we end up having a dominant offense and get a superbowl Dirk will get another chance to be Head-Coach... Having said that, if all those things happen I don't think anyone would care if he left. 

ATLSlobberKnockers and nomak like this

If Kubiak is a dead end then Koetter is, like, the least fattest kid in fat camp I suppose when looking at the rest. 

ICD likes this

12 minutes ago, rugger8 said:

He'd be my second choice, after Kubiak.

I didn't love his offense when he was here - but it was successful. And Ryan knows it already.

I am not liking this situation lol 

Flying Falcon likes this

12 minutes ago, FalconinPA said:

I would like to see that vertical offense again. But man was I ready for him to go back then

His starting OL had Holmes, Hawley, and Konz. We weren't doing him many favors there. 

rugger8 and shock like this

8 minutes ago, Geneaut said:

His starting OL had Holmes, Hawley, and Konz. We weren't doing him many favors there. 

My god, what a trifecta that was. 

Geneaut and Tim Mazetti like this

Just now, shock said:

My god, what a trifecta that was. 

Hawley wasn't the absolute worst starting OL in our history but the other two are in that discussion. 

shock likes this

48 minutes ago, FalconinPA said:

I would like to see that vertical offense again. But man was I ready for him to go back then

Exactly - it would literally be doing the same thing(Koetter as OC) and expecting different results. Insanity

FalconinPA likes this

Here's the thing -- I was never as down on Koetter as most people here before he left and never as high on him as most people here became after he left.  Koetter is a very, very, very good OC.  He is plenty good enough to get us to a Super Bowl if the players do their part.  In 2013 and 2014, injuries decimated our offense, Tony retired after 2013 and we thought Steven Jackson could still play.  Those things all contributed to the downturn.

I said when he was hired in 2012 that we have to build the o-line.  We didn't.  That was stupid.  If he comes here again, let me say it again -- WE HAVE TO BUILD THE O-LINE.  His system relies on sending out multiple passing threats and leaving 5 in for protection.  If those 5 can't protect, we will not be able to do anything.  He can build a super good run game, and has proven that he can.  But it has to be a priority.  Honestly, I think we're 2 solid guards away from a competent offensive line.  I think Schraeder will look better with a better G beside him.  But in that type of system, you really need a pocket for the QB to step into.  We should be modeling our o-line after New Orleans, with solid guard play and using the RBs, TEs and slot receivers to chip pass rushers on their way out into routes.

Now, if he's not hired, obviously, I would prefer someone who can run a good WCO. Someone more like Shanahan.  But if he is hired, it's not a bad hire at all.  I wouldn't have been mad if Quinn had kept him in 2015 at all.  Not even a little bit.

People put too much stock in the coordinators.  Pair a good coordinator like Koetter with the right personnel and magic happens.  Pair him with chewing gum and bailing wire solutions to gaping holes and 2013 and 2014 (and most of what happened in Tampa Bay from 2015 to now) happens.

shock, Xfactor, rounz and 3 others like this

12 minutes ago, Atlantafan21 said:

Lol are you serious? Let’s call up Smitty for the DC job as well. Mike Nolan can be his assistant. 

Out of the 3 years that Smitty, Koetter, and Nolan were the 3 guys, only Koetter actually performed at a pretty high level all 3 years. And his o-lines in 2013 and 2014 were absolute TRASH. I'm not saying I want Koetter back necessarily, but he did a decent job when he was here.

JDaveG and shock like this

Given the OL we had back then, I think Koetter deserves another shot. Even in TB, his offense was putting up huge numbers and that was with Fitzmagic. Add in Ridley and sanu and he might challenge the 2016 offense as the best we ever had. 

I’m warming to the idea only because it’s obviously our only choice at this point.  Bevell is a no go, Kubiak wants to be in Denver, Bienemy is getting a head coaching gig.  There’s literally nobody else and Matt is fond of Koetter.

Worries because we don’t have a Tony Gonzalez (Hooper is VERY hit or miss), and our line sucks (we suck at scouting good offensive linemen).  I don’t remember Koetter having the most creative concepts either.

mqg96 likes this