Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MSalmon

My Draft Crush: Raekwon “Man Beast” Davis

143 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, Yo_Lover said:

That's the problem with the NFL everyone only looks at measurables. If it was about measurables Sherman would be selling cars and Southward would be an all pro.

The kid can ball, people gotta stop getting caught up in what their "prototypical" guy is at every position. That's how you miss out on Sherman, Baker, Donald, Dumervill, Fletcher, Bob Sanders, Grimes, etc

Kinda but it’s scheme fit too. Does baker fit our scheme? Sure. We like to have physical cbs that thrive in zone. Is he long enough? Probably.

but my point—and I apologize if not clear in my writing—is he’s not a great fit for all, and nor all of those that you used as example. And, generally, cbs with elite speed , length and who are scheme agnostic get drafted early. 

Sherman would suck in a name scheme. Donald is interesting but he was also drafted at what #11? No one overlooked him. Sanders fit the Tampa 2. Dumervill was a great fit in the 34 but was on a team who had Ray Lewis and Suggs. And great interior DL to help him roam. Again scheme fit is important.

but back to Donald he could probably fit any scheme, hence the really high draft spot. The others you listed? Most weren’t as great post original teams

Lets flip. Do you think Baker has top end speed and range?

31 minutes ago, LiquidFalcon said:

Wasn't Allen hurt his rookie year? The best Alabama has produced so far is Dareus and than Upshaw and that says it all. Someone can break that mold at any time, Im just not going to hold my breath. Since theres decades and dozens of other players who were just as great and better at the college level and fizzled in the pros.

@Vandy

1 hour ago, LiquidFalcon said:

No their front defensive 4, having 1 decent year means nothing, Alabama front 4 guys in the NFL dont have a great track record, outside of Marcell Darius I cant think of one who was anything more than a 1 season wonder. but yeah their OL is terrible too but thats what happens when you play undersized guys all year and than go the NFL where your not a man among boys anymore.

@Vandy

14 minutes ago, MSalmon said:

Do you play white in the middle or at SLB ? 

I’d honestly try him at middle. He seems somewhat stout compared to Debo and we could definitely use that in run defense.

Call me old fashioned but I don't trust Alabama defensive players in the NFL and especially if they are front 4

“Old fashioned” isn’t quite the two words that come to mind.

Are you being serious, or just being obtuse?

Just now, Jerz #DukeSZN said:

I’d honestly try him at middle. He seems somewhat stout compared to Debo and we could definitely use that in run defense.

I think that I would too. I’ve heard knocks about not shedding blockers but most backers have that knock.

id love him and Debo roaming that field, maybe pull Foue into that rover role

Jerz #DukeSZN likes this

Call me old fashioned but I don't trust Alabama defensive players in the NFL and especially if they are front 4

What?  If anything that's the one thing you should trust from Alabama.  Dl and lb.  Safety sometimes and cb never. 

MSalmon and Vandy like this

21 minutes ago, kiwifalcon said:

Yeah it’s the combinations which hurt him I think the loss of a guy like that put too much on his plate. I reckon which all in all probably slowed his playing speed down.It was just a tough year for alot of guys on our defense.

Hopefully some of these guys come out better because of this past season.

kiwifalcon likes this

5 minutes ago, Vandy said:

“Old fashioned” isn’t quite the two words that come to mind.

Are you being serious, or just being obtuse?

you know what hes doing...

Vandy likes this

1 minute ago, abcranford2 said:

What?  If anything that's the one thing you should trust from Alabama.  Dl and lb.  Safety sometimes and cb never. 

Yup. I don’t like their OL very often. But DL and LB and WR they do pretty well (I had to give JJ and Ridley some love)

Vandy likes this

1 minute ago, Jerz #DukeSZN said:

Hopefully some of these guys come out better because of this past season.

If anything it’ll build character those guys who were replacements and while some fell flat others stood up.I think guys like Kazee Foye Senat grew a lot this season.

Jerz #DukeSZN and MSalmon like this

It's funny how he was at the top of alot of draft boards until Q Williams blew up this year. In the back of my mind, I have this feeling that Davis, the longer term performer, could turn out to be the better of the two. 

I'd sleep well if he's our pick in round one. The height alone versus the Brees's of the world is a huge selling point. 

As a tide fan, I disagree. The games I watched, I saw Davis taking plays off. Yes he is an athlete and big, but I worry about him needing a Q.Williams next to him to make him "the best he can be."

17 minutes ago, MSalmon said:

I think that I would too. I’ve heard knocks about not shedding blockers but most backers have that knock.

id love him and Debo roaming that field, maybe pull Foue into that rover role

Yeah I tend to see that knock for most LB's coming out but I'm sure he has the speed to get around some blocks like Debo often does.

Foye would definitely be able to keep those guys fresh too. I think he was a good pick he really showed out for a late round rook. I'm anxious to see how much he grows coming into these next few season.

MSalmon and Vandy like this

38 minutes ago, MSalmon said:

Kinda but it’s scheme fit too. Does baker fit our scheme? Sure. We like to have physical cbs that thrive in zone. Is he long enough? Probably.

but my point—and I apologize if not clear in my writing—is he’s not a great fit for all, and nor all of those that you used as example. And, generally, cbs with elite speed , length and who are scheme agnostic get drafted early. 

Sherman would suck in a name scheme. Donald is interesting but he was also drafted at what #11? No one overlooked him. Sanders fit the Tampa 2. Dumervill was a great fit in the 34 but was on a team who had Ray Lewis and Suggs. And great interior DL to help him roam. Again scheme fit is important.

but back to Donald he could probably fit any scheme, hence the really high draft spot. The others you listed? Most weren’t as great post original teams

Lets flip. Do you think Baker has top end speed and range?

I think he has enough speed to do what he needs to. He'll be fine in the NFL.

5 minutes ago, Yo_Lover said:

I think he has enough speed to do what he needs to. He'll be fine in the NFL.

You could be right. I like a lot of things about him. He’s a superb ball handler. He looks more stout than 185 listed

17 minutes ago, Jerz #DukeSZN said:

Yeah I tend to see that knock for most LB's coming out but I'm sure he has the speed to get around some blocks like Debo often does.

Foye would definitely be able to keep those guys fresh too. I think he was a good pick he really showed out for a late round rook. I'm anxious to see how much he grows coming into these next few season.

Agree. Foye is an excellent cover LB. I’ve given up on duke. 

Jerz #DukeSZN likes this

1 hour ago, MSalmon said:

I think he’s manned 5 tech at times and even NT in 34 looks. @Knight of God am I correct? 

I really like the energy level. That’s insane in a big man

He's played most of his snaps this season as the base end (almost another another DT).  Buggs was on the other side, Q. Williams was the NT.

MSalmon likes this

2 hours ago, MSalmon said:

I think you could put him at a jumbo DE ala red Bryant (5 tech) move him in to 1 or 5 . Sprinkle in 34 looks with either Jarrett or senat at nose. Just a lot of options with this kid. 

Id love to see him in a michael Bennett kinda role. 

I know I love something about him game, you pretty much put it right when you said he reminds you of Hageman. We've never been the same since we cut Hageman. Wish he wasn't an idiot. 

falconidae and MSalmon like this

1 hour ago, MSalmon said:

I think he’s manned 5 tech at times and even NT in 34 looks. @Knight of God am I correct? 

I really like the energy level. That’s insane in a big man

Has played every position on the line as well as lined up as a LB

8 minutes ago, osiruz said:

I know I love something about him game, you pretty much put it right when you said he reminds you of Hageman. We've never been the same since we cut Hageman. Wish he wasn't an idiot. 

You’re right on how we’ve never been as stout since hage and of course even Poe. We just aren’t physical enough on interior. I love Grady but he’s not Donald. Senat looks decent. McClain was garbage. Crawford has improved a bunch. But we need at least one man beast

Dutty Ole Bird and falconidae like this

2 hours ago, MSalmon said:

I said I don’t think he’s a high first round guy like some sites say. Most first round “elite” corners have great speed and athleticism.

King fell to fifth. Doesn’t mean he’s bad just is what it is

but that’s my opinion only lol

You think too highly of him, I think he will straight up bust and is overrated.

MSalmon likes this

5 hours ago, MSalmon said:

My dream draft would be Devin white with our first round...he’s better than Campbell or Foye. And move back in first round and grab Raekwon 

Then Jacobs (Bama) in the 4th