Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ki46dinah

Julio is the man...

73 posts in this topic

11 minutes ago, Tandy said:

No, but remember - they only came to be 24 years ago.    

Right, I knew that, my hope is they'd go another 19 without having b2b thus beating us out for futility. :D

Tandy likes this

@Tandy, without looking this up, both of us, speaking about our own futility, didn't we tie the Panthers in the expansion/inaugural season in our first meeting with them?

See if my memory matches yours.

The top tier WRs are all overrated and not worth half what they're paid. None of them.  I'd rather have 2 pro bowl OL than pay Julio what people speculate will be in the $20 mil range. It nauseates me to think we'll dedicate that much cap space to a 30 yr old receiver with a long injury history and an inability to get himself open in tight spaces (end zone). 

And for the record, Matt Ryan is the superstar on this roster and has been in since he came in the league. 

11 minutes ago, WhenFalconsWin said:

@Tandy, without looking this up, both of us, speaking about our own futility, didn't we tie the Panthers in the expansion/inaugural season in our first meeting with them?

See if my memory matches yours.

I don't have to look that up, lol!   We had a chance to beat them with less than a minute to go - and missed a field goal - so we were tied.    But, then Mort beat them in overtime with a field goal.

Those games - when you give a team their very first NFL loss - those you remember.

WhenFalconsWin likes this

2 hours ago, Tandy said:

The one thing he hasn't done that will be our greatest feat is win a Super Bowl - and that is the one thing he needs to bring to Atlanta.    However, to say he hasn't been a contributor or done great things as a quarterback is just negligent.   He has, without a doubt, been the greatest quarterback Atlanta has had as a starter.  Some of his accomplishments in Atlanta:

3rd in career TD passes for 1st 11 years in NFL history behind Peyton Manning and Dan Marino.    Next Falcon QB on the list is Bart at number 46 and no other Falcons on the top 100.

1st in career passing yards for 1st 11 years in NFL history.   Next Falcon on the list is Bartkowski at #51.   No other Falcons on the top 100.

3rd in career completion percent for 1st 11 years among all quarterbacks with at least 3000 passes (had to narrow down all the guys throwing only a few passes) behind Drew Brees and Kurt Warner.   Next Falcon on the list is Bart at number 56.   No other Falcons on the list.

5th in career wins over the first 11 years in NFL history behind P Manning, Brady, Big Ben and Favre.    The next Atlanta QB is Bartkowski at number 60.   There are no other Falcons on the list.

Tied for most comeback wins in NFL history for the first 11 years with P Manning.    The next Atlanta QB is Bart at number 20.    Vick is at #54 but less than half of those comebacks were in ATL.

Tied for most game winning drives in NFL history for first 11 years with P Manning.    The next Atlanta QB is Bart at number 32.   Vick is at #78 but half of those drives were in ATL. 

Falcons winning percent before Ryan = 40%.   Falcons winning percent after Ryan = 58%

Falcons playoff years before Ryan = 8 out of 42 years  (once every 5-1/4 years).    Falcons playoff years after Ryan =  6 out of 11 years (once every 1-3/4 years)

Falcons back to back winning seasons before Ryan = 0.     Falcons back to back winning seasons after Ryan = 5.   

Division Championships before Ryan = 3 out of 42 years.    Division Championships after Ryan = 3 out of 11 years.

Only Falcon to win NFL Most Valuable Player

Falcons Single Season Passing Leader - #1 through #7 and all 11 years are in the top 22 - with only 2009 (missed 2 games) being below #15.    

Falcons All Time Passing Leader in yards, TD, Completion percents (over 10 attempts), TD percent (over 100 TD), Interception percent, QB record, Rating (QB w/more than 3 starts), 4th quarter comebacks, Game Winning Drives, Average yards per pass (QB with more than 3 starts)

Falcons have 24 total post season and Ryan started in 10 of those games (41.6%).   

This year he passed Bart for most seasons with 30+ TD. Bart had 2 seasons and Ryan now has 3.

WhenFalconsWin and Tandy like this

3 hours ago, ki46dinah said:

Superstar of this team....

Having a remarkable season....

Even in meaningless late season games, injured, he goes out and plays at a high level.

All the while, in Pitt, Antonio Brown is.....well, Antonio Brown.

Pay Julio, he is a Falcon for life

Clearly JJ is the man & AB’s wussy hurts again as usual.  Waahhh waahhh waahh!

Just stfu AB. Go find OBJ & share his feminine hygiene products.  No offense to any female posters of course... 

kiwifalcon likes this

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, thanat0s said:

The top tier WRs are all overrated and not worth half what they're paid. None of them.  I'd rather have 2 pro bowl OL than pay Julio what people speculate will be in the $20 mil range. It nauseates me to think we'll dedicate that much cap space to a 30 yr old receiver with a long injury history and an inability to get himself open in tight spaces (end zone). 

And for the record, Matt Ryan is the superstar on this roster and has been in since he came in the league. 

In the last 5 years he has 7,994 Yards averaging 1,598 a season. For his career he has averaged 3.9 more yards per game than Odell (2nd All-Time) and 10.5 more than Brown who is 3rd all-time. 

If you think replacing one of the best WRs in NFL history will be easy... :huh:

Edited by PriMeTiiMe

3 hours ago, JD dirtybird21 said:

Yea, for a Mt. Rushmore I'd probably go Ryan, Julio, Tuggle, and Roddy. 

But in terms of just individual talent, I'd do something like Julio, Deion, Humphrey, and Rison

Shoulda seen William Andrews.

kiwifalcon and thanat0s like this

Julio = Only NFL player to have 1400+ receiving yards in 5 consecutive seasons.

To put that in perspective, Calvin Johnson had 1400+ receiving yards 3 times in his entire career.  Randy Moss, 4 times in his entire career.  Jerry Rice did it 6 times during his entire career.  

For more perspective, Jerry Rice and Randy Moss went over 1600 yards only once in their careers.  Calvin Johnson did it twice.  

AB has had 1400+ in 4 seasons (one less, but not consecutive, 3 years consecutive) while going over 1600 yards twice.

For all of the OBJ fans, he's gone 1400+ once and never over 1600.

All of these guys do crush Julio in TD stats though.  

2 hours ago, Tandy said:

The one thing he hasn't done that will be our greatest feat is win a Super Bowl - and that is the one thing he needs to bring to Atlanta.    However, to say he hasn't been a contributor or done great things as a quarterback is just negligent.   He has, without a doubt, been the greatest quarterback Atlanta has had as a starter.  Some of his accomplishments in Atlanta:

I shortened your post for my quote, but thank you for taking the time to put it together. This is why Ryan is not only the greatest Falcon of all time. He's also one of the greatest NFL players of all time. This list is amazing on it's own, and doesn't even touch the many intangibles he's brought here.

I absolutely despise ignorant people taking shots at him when he's the only one we have been able to count on 100% since 2008.

Tandy and Geneaut like this

20 minutes ago, PriMeTiiMe said:

In the last 5 years he has 7,994 Yards averaging 1,598 a season. For his career he has averaged 3.9 more than Odell (2nd All-Time) and 10.5 more than Brown who is 3rd all-time. 

If you think replacing one of the best WRs in NFL history will be easy... :huh:

I'm saying that having 'one of the best WRs in NFL history' is mostly meaningless in today's NFL when it comes to championships. That money spent to create a top 5, well rounded O-Line would have 10X the impact of one WR, no matter how good he is, especially one who is so easily neutralized in short fields as Jones is.

If the goal is to win championships, that money is better spent. If the goal is entertainment, then by all means, that's a great investment. There's a reason New England doesn't waste tons of money on the shiny object positions outside QB. Finding solid WRs who run precise routes and have good hands and football smarts aren't hard to find compared to excellent OL-men. The name of the game on offense in the NFL is time. The more time you have to get guys open the better you are. 

3 minutes ago, thanat0s said:

I'm saying that having 'one of the best WRs in NFL history' is mostly meaningless in today's NFL when it comes to championships. That money spent to create a top 5, well rounded O-Line would have 10X the impact of one WR, no matter how good he is, especially one who is so easily neutralized in short fields as Jones is.

If the goal is to win championships, that money is better spent. If the goal is entertainment, then by all means, that's a great investment. There's a reason New England doesn't waste tons of money on the shiny object positions outside QB. Finding solid WRs who run precise routes and have good hands and football smarts aren't hard to find compared to excellent OL-men. The name of the game on offense in the NFL is time. The more time you have to get guys open the better you are. 

That’s the issue though building a Oline through the draft feels like a needle in a haystack.Building one through FA cost dollars.Its just a hard thing to do.If it was that easy everyone would do it right.The way people talk about it sounds like it is just a click of the fingers and away we go how hard :shrug:.

The idea is acquiring talent position regardless and build your team that way and then play to those strengths that’s more key than just the trench mentality.Also which is very important.

Theres no one right way to build a team but I will say this you have to be adaptable in your thinking on how to do so because the environment is a ever changing one and if you get stuck with a roster devoid of talent and the game changes your done anyway.

I think the Falcons have done the latter and have been a very competitive franchise doing it the way they have.While not gaining everyone’s approval the results of the last decade speak for themselves.

52 minutes ago, Vandy said:

Shoulda seen William Andrews.

Yea, I mentioned to Tandy that I just came up with that on the fly. I know Andrews was a freak. But the other 4 guys I mentioned have a pretty good argument themselves. Rison is one of the most underrated players I’ve ever seen 

Vandy likes this

9 minutes ago, JD dirtybird21 said:

Yea, I mentioned to Tandy that I just came up with that on the fly. I know Andrews was a freak. But the other 4 guys I mentioned have a pretty good argument themselves. Rison is one of the most underrated players I’ve ever seen 

JD, Andrews was not only the best RB we ever had, but the best football player I ever saw in a falcon uniform. 

Agree with you on Rison. Off the field he was a constant drama king, but he was a baller on the field. 

Geneaut and JD dirtybird21 like this

6 minutes ago, JD dirtybird21 said:

Rison's sneakers were HOT!

JD dirtybird21 and Geneaut like this

Brown was benched because of him being stupid. Injury wasn’t the reason he didn’t play. Other than that.......right on

4 hours ago, RLD said:

Will they do Julio Jones, like they done Roddy White???? Have they got any money left after giving Matty Choke that 150 million? 

Matty Choke?  Whatever...  They are both a huge asset to the team.  But if I had to choose, I'm going with the franchise QB every time. 

Geneaut likes this

53 minutes ago, octoslash said:

Especially after Left Eye was through with them. 

TLC News on Twitter: "20 years ago today, Left Eye burnt ...

Exactamundo!   May she RIP!    Those 2 were toxic together!

octoslash and Vandy like this

1 hour ago, Vandy said:

JD, Andrews was not only the best RB we ever had, but the best football player I ever saw in a falcon uniform. 

Agree with you on Rison. Off the field he was a constant drama king, but he was a baller on the field. 

Yea, unfortunately I did not have the pleasure to see Andrews live as I am only 31. Probably another reason why it's probably impossible to make a Mt. Rushmore for the Falcons. Lot of good players and so many guys have an argument that can be made. The only definitive one for sure is Julio. (And I suppose Andrews) haha. 

Vandy likes this

3 hours ago, kiwifalcon said:

That’s the issue though building a Oline through the draft feels like a needle in a haystack.Building one through FA cost dollars.Its just a hard thing to do.If it was that easy everyone would do it right.The way people talk about it sounds like it is just a click of the fingers and away we go how hard :shrug:.

The idea is acquiring talent position regardless and build your team that way and then play to those strengths that’s more key than just the trench mentality.Also which is very important.

Theres no one right way to build a team but I will say this you have to be adaptable in your thinking on how to do so because the environment is a ever changing one and if you get stuck with a roster devoid of talent and the game changes your done anyway.

I think the Falcons have done the latter and have been a very competitive franchise doing it the way they have.While not gaining everyone’s approval the results of the last decade speak for themselves.

The results of the last decade are thanks to one man: Matt Ryan. 

No Ryan, and this team would be been a complete mess. 

1 hour ago, thanat0s said:

The results of the last decade are thanks to one man: Matt Ryan. 

No Ryan, and this team would be been a complete mess. 

No it’s not all Ryan at all.

Its a combination of a lot of good team building and alot of people behind the scenes starting with the owner and filtering down of which MR2 is a huge part of.

Saying Matt Ryan is the one and only reason is small minded 2’ in front of your face thinking.

52 minutes ago, kiwifalcon said:

No it’s not all Ryan at all.

Its a combination of a lot of good team building and alot of people behind the scenes starting with the owner and filtering down of which MR2 is a huge part of.

Saying Matt Ryan is the one and only reason is small minded 2’ in front of your face thinking.

Mhmm...