Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Cole World

By the numbers for those who like stats

23 posts in this topic

while I like Sark and thought he had some really good plays, the fact remains that he couldn't make second half adjustments and the offense went through some some pretty long stretches where we couldn't get anything going on offense. people complain about the O-line but Shanny could at least scheme around it. the only time he really couldn't was against the Eagles at their place and honestly the team was more tired than anything and it showed. after the bye week guys got healthy and refreshed and we went on a historic tear. I kinda hoped we would keep Sark in some capacity to let him learn more about calling NFL games but I get it why he was let go

14 minutes ago, raysnill1 said:

while I like Sark and thought he had some really good plays, the fact remains that he couldn't make second half adjustments and the offense went through some some pretty long stretches where we couldn't get anything going on offense. people complain about the O-line but Shanny could at least scheme around it. the only time he really couldn't was against the Eagles at their place and honestly the team was more tired than anything and it showed. after the bye week guys got healthy and refreshed and we went on a historic tear. I kinda hoped we would keep Sark in some capacity to let him learn more about calling NFL games but I get it why he was let go

While I will say I think KS was a far more creative playcaller, I think we give him too much credit.  He didn't really need to scheme around anything his 2016 banner year.  We had the same (competent) OL the entire season.  In 2015 our OL lacked a center and KS could not scheme around it any better than Sark could.  Sark has had a far less stable and talented line.  I'm not pining for Sark but he deserves more credit than he has gotten.

3 hours ago, falcons007 said:

Let’s compare first 5 years of both coaches. 

The only thing Smitty has on DQ is a better regular season record. 

Regular season:

Smitty: 43-21 (4 seasons from 2008-2011)

DQ: 36-28 (4 seasons from 2015-2018)

Playoffs:

Smitty: 0-3 (0.000; 3 games) in three playoff appearances from 2008-2011

DQ: 3-2 (0.600; 5 games) in two playoff appearances and NFC Champion from 2015-2018. 

MoFalconsFan56 and papachaz like this

I’m convinced Ryan carried Sark. I saw some of the play calls Sark made in crucial situations. Jet sweeps from the 1 with an empty backfield. Roll outs to the 3rd string TE on 4th down. Terrible run game. The Falcons offence is so talented they’ll produce regardless of whose calling plays. The Falcons offence will be a juggernaut if someone who clicks with Ryan is calling plays. 

1 minute ago, mattyicefalcon said:

Mike Smith = 0 super bowl appearance 

Dan Quinn = 2nd year with youngest squad on defense.

With 70% of Mike Smith team 

4 hours ago, raysnill1 said:

Stopped reading here. Shanny had a better o-line and they entire live never missed a snap in 16.

papachaz likes this

In a vacuum, Sarkisian looked like a great coordinator. If you dig deeper, you see how much we struggled vs. the top teams. I expect us to struggle some because that is why they are the top defenses, but we looked completely incompetent against some of those teams. We had too much talent to look that bad. I still think he got a raw deal, but understand why they moved on. 

1 minute ago, Jpg428gggg said:

In a vacuum, Sarkisian looked like a great coordinator. If you dig deeper, you see how much we struggled vs. the top teams. I expect us to struggle some because that is why they are the top defenses, but we looked completely incompetent against some of those teams. We had too much talent to look that bad. I still think he got a raw deal, but understand why they moved on. 

In short, Quinn effed up....superbowl hangover is out of everyones system.

2019-20 is the year finally we RESET.

1 minute ago, Falcanuck said:

I’m convinced Ryan carried Sark. I saw some of the play calls Sark made in crucial situations. Jet sweeps from the 1 with an empty backfield. Roll outs to the 3rd string TE on 4th down. Terrible run game. The Falcons offence is so talented they’ll produce regardless of whose calling plays. The Falcons offence will be a juggernaut if someone who clicks with Ryan is calling plays. 

Yeah, some of the quotes I heard from Flowery Branch were concerning. Ryan is a smart QB and knows the game, but to hear him constantly challenging our coaches is not a good sign. Honestly, it should go both ways with the great QB's. You need coaches that are going to challenge the QB.

The biggest difference between Sark and Shanahan  was the OL.  The OL was HORRIBLE this year.  To be honest, it wasn't great under Shanahan, despite what the stats might say.  We couldn't close out games with the run in 2016.  We certainly couldn't do it this year.  That's all on the OL.  If you gave Matt Ryan the OL that Drew Brees has right now, we would win back to back Superbowls with Sark calling plays.

Points Vs Playoff teams:

In 2018:

Eagles - 12
Saints - 37
Cowboys - 19
Saints - 17
Ravens - 16

4 of 5 games under 20

In 2017:

Patriots - 7
Panthers- 17
Vikings - 9
Saints - 17
Saints - 13
Panthers - 22
Rams - 26
Eagles - 10

6 of 8 games under 20

For those that struggle with math, That's 10 of 13 games under 20. Only 1 game with 30+.

5 hours ago, Monolith2001 said:

While I will say I think KS was a far more creative playcaller, I think we give him too much credit.  He didn't really need to scheme around anything his 2016 banner year.  We had the same (competent) OL the entire season.  In 2015 our OL lacked a center and KS could not scheme around it any better than Sark could.  Sark has had a far less stable and talented line.  I'm not pining for Sark but he deserves more credit than he has gotten.

Kyle was the best playcaller I've ever seen. He was by far the most unpredictable I've ever seen. I could NEVER guess run or pass with Kyle. He may have well been rolling a dice for the play call, because it had little bearing whatsoever on the down/distance and situation. I said this on this very board 5 games into his FIRST season. I wish I could find that post.

Unfortunately that same disregard for situational awareness was his achilles heel. And it killed us in the Super Bowl. And I agree that Sark was not as bad as people have made out.

Geneaut likes this

1 hour ago, since68andcounting said:

Kyle was the best playcaller I've ever seen. He was by far the most unpredictable I've ever seen. I could NEVER guess run or pass with Kyle. He may have well been rolling a dice for the play call, because it had little bearing whatsoever on the down/distance and situation. I said this on this very board 5 games into his FIRST season. I wish I could find that post.

Unfortunately that same disregard for situational awareness was his achilles heel. And it killed us in the Super Bowl. And I agree that Sark was not as bad as people have made out.

It’s not just play calling. Our attention to detail and execution were so much better. It also felt like Shanahan had a plan for how he wanted to feature each player. Everyone had a role in his offense that was suited to maximize their strengths.

3 hours ago, JerseyNo12 said:

The only thing Smitty has on DQ is a better regular season record. 

Regular season:

Smitty: 43-21 (4 seasons from 2008-2011)

DQ: 36-28 (4 seasons from 2015-2018)

Playoffs:

Smitty: 0-3 (0.000; 3 games) in three playoff appearances from 2008-2011

DQ: 3-2 (0.600; 5 games) in two playoff appearances and NFC Champion from 2015-2018. 

Quinn has a much more mature Matt Ryan and Julio Jones. Both had a bad GM. Both nice guys. Quinn has more people fooled, because of his popularity. If he was that much better, we wouldn't lose close games by terrible coaching decisions.

MoFalconsFan56 likes this

9 hours ago, Monolith2001 said:

Just read the first tweet and all of the replies. Partial distinctions and further data.

Now, I'm not able to diagnose if it's Matt and the players carrying Sark; because Matt shouldn't have had a season like this behind this OL and without a running game but Sark does have legit excuses in terms of "a case could be made".